Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUCK4444

He's decent, nothing more.

Matic when he dips into this lethargic form and holds onto the ball far too long is a recurrent issue now. We must sign a player to rotate effectively with Matic imo.

If we can get Sancho, a Matic understudy and a CB (like Upamecano) we will have boxed off almost every weak area in the squad. Three players and I think we will mount a challenge.

wythyred

Fecking hell. The hyperbole after a decent game here is mental.
Hows it hyperbole? Name a better DM in his age bracket?

My Mrs is from Upton and her brother is a west ham ST holder I have watched him live 3 times in the last couple of years.. he’s a top young player.

davidmichael

Unpopular opinion, but I think McTominay is the better player and will have a better career.
I don’t see them being similar though, Rice is the protection in front of the back four whilst McTominay is more of a box to box player and I could ever see them playing together when we’re closing a game out.

I’ve always said I’d like Rice to sign for us and working alongside Matic as his long term replacement and under the guidance of Carrick as coach Rice would have two great defensive midfielders to learn from, I think Rice IS who we should be looking at and I’d rather we signed Sancho and Rice than one of either and Grealish.

CM

He has looked better since lockdown but still isn't worth close to what West Ham would want for him

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

My Mrs is from Upton and her brother is a west ham ST holder I have watched him live 3 times in the last couple of years.. he’s a top young player.
He's done feck all, there's a lot of young talented DMs across Europe. Bennacer, Tonali, Camavinga, depending on your critera. He's done nothing to put him at the top of the pile apart from being in the prem. I'm not saying he's not talented, if he was what you're claiming him to be, teams all over Europe would be queuing up for him.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He's done feck all, there's a lot of young talented DMs across Europe. Bennacer, Tonali, Camavinga, depending on your critera. He's done nothing to put him at the top of the pile apart from being in the prem. I'm not saying he's not talented, if he was what you're claiming him to be, teams all over Europe would be queuing up for him.
I don’t agree with the last bit. European teams just don’t spend big money. They don’t pick up English players from the PL unless they are kids or out of contractv

PoTMS

You have to laugh when you see some of the posters in here turn their nose up on him. He would walk into our first XI. I rate him higher than Matic. Him, Sancho and another CB and we're in business.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I don’t agree with the last bit. European teams just don’t spend big money. They don’t pick up English players from the PL unless they are kids or out of contractv
But if he was the best young DM in European football, as was claimed, I don't think the top sides would think twice about trying for him. West ham have been poor this season and will probably need to sell. How much did Bellingham go for in the end? Something like 30m?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I can see the comparisons with Matic but he wouldn't be the answer for us, we need someone to dictate play and that's not Rice

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Good player but not worth the money. I am one among those who said he is another Dier. He is a much better player. He definitely is not a defender now but would make an amazing sweeper.

jesperjaap

He is a very good young player, always find it strange the lack of enthusiam for him usually on here. I just think similarly to how I did about Maguire last summer though, not a bad signing at all but for the probably price, there are definately better options, especially if we are to strengthen other areas as well.

Jibbs

I think Rice or Ndidi would be an amazing addition to United lineup. Rice would easily be 10 mn more expensive then Ndidi for being English. I would personally want us to sign Ndidi, but Rice would be a very good long term addition too.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
But if he was the best young DM in European football, as was claimed, I don't think the top sides would think twice about trying for him. West ham have been poor this season and will probably need to sell. How much did Bellingham go for in the end? Something like 30m?
I don’t get the point here. The top clubs in England are going to be after him this summer. Why would Declan Rice want to play abroad? He has no need to establish himself, he’s going to be starting for a top side in England next season.

Champagne Football

Covid price? That's enormous.
West Ham won't accept less than £80 million for him, that's guaranteed since that's how much Harry Maguire went for. There's no way we can afford him.

Would be nice if Ole could mold Scott into a disciplined DM instead because he'll never be a good enough box to box for Man Utd.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I don’t get the point here. The top clubs in England are going to be after him this summer. Why would Declan Rice want to play abroad? He has no need to establish himself, he’s going to be starting for a top side in England next season.
I really don't think they will. All the Chelsea rumours have been playing him at CB (personally what position I think he'll end up playing) and I don't think there are any real links anywhere else?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I think he’s probably too expensive but United seem to want to have a few England internationals starting for us as the nucleus and I understand the value of that strategy. You would probably get one of the top young European DMs for a fair bit less though if money is an issue. I like Rice . He looks to have the tools to be a top player especially if can move on to a more ambitious team asap

jesperjaap

I don’t see them being similar though, Rice is the protection in front of the back four whilst McTominay is more of a box to box player and I could ever see them playing together when we’re closing a game out.

I’ve always said I’d like Rice to sign for us and working alongside Matic as his long term replacement and under the guidance of Carrick as coach Rice would have two great defensive midfielders to learn from, I think Rice IS who we should be looking at and I’d rather we signed Sancho and Rice than one of either and Grealish.
Agree, different rolls so you cant really compare the two........but playing devils advocate without blinkers on, I would rather Rice than McTominay.

As for Rice or Grealish. I personally would rather Grealish as over a season whether its a rest, dip in form, tactics or other reasons I think Grealish gives us so much more competition and squad depth from one player with the positions he can play. Of coure R|ice can play centre back but he really wouldnt be signed for that and we need a special centre back anyway. If we were to sign a back up left winger, back up to Pogba and back up to Fernandes which lets be honest with the quality beneath them in the squad we certainly need two of those anyway I feel, it would cost as much as Grealish if not more and he provides all three. Where as the probably cost of Rice, fee wise at least you could buy pretty much almost any dm midfielder in the world and when you think of it like that, is it such a good deal?

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I really don't think they will. All the Chelsea rumours have been playing him at CB (personally what position I think he'll end up playing) and I don't think there are any real links anywhere else?
Then he’ll stay at West Ham and get his big move next year. He has no need to move abroad. Personally I think he’ll push for a move and go to Chelsea in the summer unfortunately but if it was up to me I’d be selling Fred who we seem to have lost faith in and going all in on him and Grealish. When Matic plays poorly we play poorly, I think it’s a hugely important position for us and he’s a perfect replacement.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Then he’ll stay at West Ham and get his big move next year. He has no need to move abroad. Personally I think he’ll push for a move and go to Chelsea in the summer unfortunately but if it was up to me I’d be selling Fred who we seem to have lost faith in and going all in on him and Grealish. When Matic plays poorly we play poorly, I think it’s a hugely important position for us and he’s a perfect replacement.
I'm not saying he should go abroad, but if you're the best in your position in Europe, I think clubs abroad would be interested. He's only at West ham, its not exactly a top destination. Anyway, I've made my point on that.

I don't think he'll ever be worth the money west ham will ask for him to be honest. Chelsea could do with him more than us with their shocking defensive record, so perhaps they'd be willing to overpay like we did for Maguire.

Icemav

He's good but the key is to guess his upper ceiling and that comes from raw ability. He seems solid enough but not exceptional at anything. I think its unclear right now that he has the ability to play for one of the top clubs.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Frankie De Jong
Ruben Neves
Ndidi
Tonali is highly rated also

Its hyperbole to says he's the best in the world, he may not even be the best in this league in his age bracket

Scholsey2004

I was thinking about that the other day. Fred had a really good spell with McTominay when Pogba was out but he only ever seems to play well with McTominay alongside him. With Matic and Pogba who aren't really pressers he doesn't have any impact. Pretty one dimensional.
Rice for me is a decent player, very good defensively but a pretty average passer, certainly not as good as Matic in that respect. I'd be surprised if he was available for a price that would make him worth buying at the end of the day.

Devil may care

Only us and Chelsea could afford him as west ham will want stupid money, plus he's more of a pure DM than what we need, with Pogba and Bruno always looking for the quickest forward pass we need a holder who can control the tempo as well as shield the back 4.

Charlie Foley

That is not really as impressive a statement as I think you thought it was...

also, he’s not better than de jong

jamesjimmybyrondean

If he's staying at West Ham and by next season we are still crying for a Matic replacement, he will be our no 1 target

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He always reminds me of Eric Dier. Not a huge fan but definitely has his role in the right system. Not enough on the ball though for me.

Ndidi is the holding mid i would take from any other premier league side, by a distance.

Jibbs

I wouldn't mind if we sell Pogba and bring in Grealish and Rice.

Jibbs

He always reminds me of Eric Dier. Not a huge fan but definitely has his role in the right system. Not enough on the ball though for me.

Ndidi is the holding mid i would take from any other premier league side, by a distance.
Ndidi is one player who will instantly improve our side like Bruno did.

Bondi77

Have to get Garner out on loan to a good Championship side next season who play football and see if he has the traits to fill that role in the future

Highfather_24

I was thinking about that the other day. Fred had a really good spell with McTominay when Pogba was out but he only ever seems to play well with McTominay alongside him. With Matic and Pogba who aren't really pressers he doesn't have any impact. Pretty one dimensional.
Rice for me is a decent player, very good defensively but a pretty average passer, certainly not as good as Matic in that respect. I'd be surprised if he was available for a price that would make him worth buying at the end of the day.
Huh? His best form this season came after we signed Bruno and he was playing alongside Nemanja Matic.

Highfather_24

He’s going to have to improve on the ball for that to happen. Declan Rice wouldn’t be getting benched for an exhausted Matic if he was currently at the club.
I think he will struggle under an organised press just like Matic and McTominay do.

Status
Not open for further replies.