Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
You are Leicester City Supporter and who must have watched Kante play regularly for your team and Still believe he played outright DM for you I am confused to be honest , Kante has never been Outright DM for any team albeit a successful one he has always been a CM who happens to be Excellent at defensive side of the game.
He was without doubt a box to box player, however with the way he played, he could fulfil that role and still support the rest of the midfield. He would allow you’ve more attacking players to attack.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Overrated and overpriced. Just spent that money a player like Tielemans, who can pass from deep.
Agree with this. Isn't Rice typical of this generation of English midfielders in that they are good / great at everything but don't really excel at anything?

Tielemans would be a better fit to our midfield better than Rice in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I believe he would be a good long term replacement for Matic and also breaks up Fred, McTominay but im not seeing £80m of game changing talent. And at that kind of price for a midfielder, you want game changing talent.

Who knows what our midfield will be like come next season. I think Matic will be gone and Pogba could also be on his bike which free's up a few slots. We really do need more art than industry if we are to strengthen midfield.

Trex

The obsession with Rice is fascinating, he is a decent young English player, no x factor,no outstanding qualities, those sort of players don't cost all that,at a stretch 50m that's without covid and considering he is young and English, going above that is day light robbery. Besides highly unlikely united would be spending in midfield this summer unless Pogba leaves and his replacement would be a creative player not Declan Rice ffs.Schneiderlin looked a better player

Champagne Football

I rate Rice. He's one of those players who you don't notice a whole lot in games because he's doing a lot of the dirty work that goes unnoticed mostly. A bit like how Darren Fletcher used to be.

I believe Rice will eventually become a vital cog in a team like Chelsea, and will end up with a good few trophies in his cabinet.

Jericho

Haven’t seen that much of him, but is he much better than Eric Dier was when people were raving about him?

davidmichael

Haven’t seen that much of him, but is he much better than Eric Dier was when people were raving about him?
Based on last night you’d find most people will say no but based on the last couple of seasons I’d say definitely and it’s not even a close debate to have, it’s far more fashionable to have a deep lying playmaker like a Pirlo or Xabi Alonso or Carrick but when you have two midfielders like Fernandes and Pogba you NEED a Rice between the two otherwise you get seriously overrun in midfield and the defence isn’t protected.

Moiraine

I’ll caveat this by saying I don’t think any player is worth 80m

but I think you downplay what you get from him.
First of all you haven’t mentioned his leadership qualities. 2-3 seasons ago we struggled to name 1 leader in the United team.
secondly he’s a much better passer than given credit for.
Thirdly, it would mean the end of mcFred. We could for example play Pogba with Bruno and rice protecting.
the fact that he is proven in the PL against the big teams is a bonus.
his flexibility cb-DCM-cm would allow us more tactical flexibility.
he’s young and improving, he can only get better around better quality players
This post should be up there as the worst formatted post by an Admin :wenger:

Hard to argue with your analysis though

Castia

One of those decent players that will just be priced out of a move. 50m-60m sure but West Ham will want daft money.

This is why Bayern have it easy in Germany a similar player to Rice coming from a mid table side like West Ham would set them back about 16m, in England your talking upwards of 80m quid.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He's a defender playing in midfield, does a good job in midfield considering that fact but meh.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Oh god yes. Dier played like a CB who had accidentally found his way into midfield. Rice plays like an actual defensive midfielder.

It's a very low bar but Rice clears it quite easily.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Rice, Badiashile and Haaland is my semi-realistic dream summer - along with Pogba signing a new deal. I think we’d have an incredible young squad with a very strong spine stacked with attacking talent. Shame it’d cost 200m...we’d actually have to learn how to sell players to fund it.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
He’s 22, some of the posts here are crazy. A better player than Carrick at the same age.
You think so? I agree with you about the age, it's still very much on his side but other than that he's nothing special at anything. Yes he will steadily improve but he's not a player to play alone as a DM like someone think here, without Souček he's nowhere near. He's an average passer and fairly good at covering the ground but even there Fred is better, he would be a decent upgrade on McTominay and wouldcreate a great block with Fred but I feel like we need someone better there, certainly for 60 million there should be a palyer without English tax etc. We could get almost anyone for that position. Obviously it gets a bit more interesting when Lingard is sold to them but still we can use the money elsewhere... I would much rather have Ndidi who is a monster defensively and really not worse on the ball than Rice.

Even the last game I ve read comments how good he was and hoe they would want him ignoring that he was absolutely sub par, only second to Mark Noble..

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Based on last night you’d find most people will say no but based on the last couple of seasons I’d say definitely and it’s not even a close debate to have, it’s far more fashionable to have a deep lying playmaker like a Pirlo or Xabi Alonso or Carrick but when you have two midfielders like Fernandes and Pogba you NEED a Rice between the two otherwise you get seriously overrun in midfield and the defence isn’t protected.
I wouldnt buy a player based on Pogba staying around...

Pickle85

Decent, tidy player with time on his side to improve even further but for the money he'd likely cost there surely must be better options. Also for whatever reason the thought of signing him doesn't excite me, even for a DM.

RooneyLegend

He wouldn't need to do a damn thing with the ball if he played with Pogba and Bruno. My only issue with him is his price tag, Anything over 50 is ridiculous. Hes basically the English Casemiro.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Is he really much better than McT? Can’t our scouts find someone else than such an overpriced option?

Sea-Cow

He’s 22, some of the posts here are crazy. A better player than Carrick at the same age.
I'd say that is a difficult comparison to make. He is certainly better at breaking up play and winning back possession than Carrick was at any age, but his passing and ability to spread the play isn't in the same universe! Carrick at Spurs was very classy and very good.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Carrick at Spurs was very classy and very good.
He was. But he was a year older than Rice is now when he moved to Spurs. I cant remember how he did when he was at West Ham, but the fact that he moved to Spurs (who was a club similar to West Ham today at the time) might be a clue.

Sea-Cow

I don't want us to spend the incredible amount it would take to buy him, and think we could find someone in the same mold but at a fraction of the price.

However, some of the posts in here are nuts. Yes he looks as dumb as a lamp post, and he isn't going to be Pirlo on the ball, but he is very very good at what he does, which is protecting his defenders, tracking runs, winning back possession, driving the team forward, etc. etc.

As RooneyLegend said above, if he was the CDM with Pogba and Bruno and his job was simply to win the ball and give it to one of those two guys as quickly as possible, then he would be great. At home against some teams that sit back and look to frustrate us I think we could easily play a two-man midfield with Rice and Bruno. Bruno could basically be free to roam around knowing that Rice is there to sit in the middle of the park and snuff out any danger. And Bruno would then have two strikers ahead of him who he could (hopefully) work with.

If Pogba stays then a mid-field pivot with him and Rice could potentially be great.

It won't happen but I am confused by the slander!

Sea-Cow

He was. But he was a year older than Rice is now when he moved to Spurs. I cant remember how he did when he was at West Ham, but the fact that he moved to Spurs (who was a club similar to West Ham today at the time) might be a clue.
An ambitious club looking to improve spotted him and signed him to step into their squad right away at a young age, which to me, might be a clue that he performed well and was highly rated at West Ham?

RUCK4444

He is literally Phil Jones if we played him at DM (minus the injuries.)

Absolutely nothing to see here. Move along from the Aldi bargain section, there's no deals to be had here.

Champagne Football

Rice, Badiashile and Haaland is my semi-realistic dream summer - along with Pogba signing a new deal. I think we’d have an incredible young squad with a very strong spine stacked with attacking talent. Shame it’d cost 200m...we’d actually have to learn how to sell players to fund it.
So you really think the club has a spare 200 million at least for those players? You're in for a disappointing window.

At the very best we'll get Rice for 60 million + Jesse.
Haaland will cost at least 100 million. My guess is Raiola will use our interest to panic City or Madrid into paying top dollar.
Badiashile price will probably start around 40 to 45m.

There's rumours we have 80 million to spend, so my guess would be the signing of Rice and an unexpected budget striker signing such as Odsonne Edourd of Celtic or something like that.

gajender

So you really think the club has a spare 200 million at least for those players? You're in for a disappointing window.

Haaland will cost at least 100 million. My guess is Raiola will use our interest to panic City or Madrid into paying top dollar.

There's rumours we have 80 million to spend, so my guess would be the signing of Rice and an unexpected budget striker signing such as Odsonne Edourd of Celtic or something like that.
If Murtough sanction this his reign as United's Director of football would be quite short-lived.
We are not spending our entire budget on Rice we have hardly been linked with midfielder's at all.

beingshe7don

Haaland is looking to be paid around 350k/ week if the rumors are right. City have the money but won't break their wage structure and Madrid can't afford Haaland. Chelsea apart from United are foolish enough to splurge unreasonable amounts on Haaland in terms of wages. Now you may never know but if we sell De Gea and Pogba, that's around 750k/ week in wages of the books. I think Rice is a leader and could be a similar signing for us as Henderson has been for Liverpool. Badiashile.... I'm not sure he wants to join us. He apparently rejected a move last summer. There are plenty of CBs out there but are we going to buy one?

The Irish Connection

To me it seems like he's playing under strict instructions from his manager, almost as a third CB, holding it all together.

I think he really could blossom if unleashed as a conventional no 6. Holding yes, but with permission go to forward as he sees fit.

I really like the player and he could be a mainstay here for 10 years as a no 6.

But it's all moot anyway because he will be way to expensive. His contract expires 2024, but West Ham have an option of extending further 12 months, which they obviously will, he will have to run down his contract until 2024 to become buyable.
I think I agree. He seems like someone a bit like Mctominay who would improve if given the responsibility in our midfield. Wouldn’t pay much more than 40m though.
There seems to be a lack of top up and coming midfielders around that I can think of. Would be nice if we could unearth a solid one from Europe for cheap.

Champagne Football

If Murtough sanction this his reign as United's Director of football would be quite short-lived.
We are not spending our entire budget on Rice we have hardly been linked with midfielder's at all.
Sometimes it's a case of signing whoever is available. It could be that there's no available forwards that the club fancy bringing in, so possibly bringing in another Cavani type loan, with the club seeing Rice as an opportunity despite not urgently needing him. A bit like when Fergie signed Hargreaves and Anderson in the same window, even though we already had Carrick, Scholes and Fletcher.

Redlyn

"I don't agree with the owners that Declan Rice is a £100m footballer. Far, far more than £100m. Far, far more."

Why not 200m while we are at it Moyesie.

Lentwood

I can't see this happening to be honest. It just doesn't make sense to me for clubs to pay £70m/£80m for players like Declan Rice when they can develop their own players or sign players from the lower league/foreign leagues.

I can see transfers between PL clubs becoming much rarer, because there's no need for clubs to sell and that makes the asking price so ridiculously high

gajender

Sometimes it's a case of signing whoever is available. It could be that there's no available forwards that the club fancy bringing in, so possibly bringing in another Cavani type loan, with the club seeing Rice as an opportunity despite not urgently needing him. A bit like when Fergie signed Hargreaves and Anderson in the same window, even though we already had Carrick, Scholes and Fletcher.
I actually rate Rice quite highly and also see Defensive Midfielder as a priority signing but signing him for 70-75 m would be quite an outlay for him for anything around 40-45 m he would a good transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.