Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

padzilla

Hipster
True I remember World Soccer writing that Benfica fans were stunned we paid so much for Lindelof as they thought he was not great to put it kindly.
To be honest I am resigned to us continuing to make a mess of our transfer business by paying a fortune for poor players.
If I am honest our attackers have been dreadful this season too and that looks like an area we need to spend a lot of money to resolve but knowing us we will spend it and look just as unconvincing.
Maguire is okay but to make a clumsy comparison to United teams of old he is a Steve Bruce/ Ronnie Johnsen type waiting for his Gary Pallister/ Jaap Stam and in the meantime having to play with David May types.
We definitely need an accomplished ball carrying CDM who can play that role by themselves instead of playing two out of position players because one there alone is a liability.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
One thing I'd like to know from Rice fans, is how does he handle playing out from the back?

Because looking at stats, West Ham play the ball out long far more often than we do, and if Rice was to play for us as the deepest midfielder, he would be expected to regularly collect the ball from the defence/goalkeeper under pressure with his back to the opponents and work his way out to build an attack.

At the moment, he's used to cleaning up and his keeper bypassing him to get the ball back up the field. It would be a massive change in role for him.
Yep. It’s plenty of little things like that which start to become transparent when you actually closely watch a player week in week out at the top level.

How well does he receive the ball under the press? How two-footed is he, does he need to open his entire body to make a pass? Can he circulate the ball in midfield with a bit of zip etc etc.

Admittedly, I’ve not seen enough of Rice (because who wants to waste their life watching a bunch of West Ham games?) but my impression was always that his biggest strengths are his resilience and stamina - he played all 38 matches last season, and is on 29 for 29 this season, for example. That in and of itself is a massive plus. But in terms of actually playing about on the ball as the defensive midfielder for a side aiming for CL/title winning football, I always imagined he'd come short.

He always seemed like a modern CB playing in DM to me. Not sure if that's accurate at all, mind...

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
So the myth continues. The reason why we have been awful defensively at home is because when ever we reduce the protection we give Maguire and Lindeloff. By either reducing the defensive shield to one player or play on the front foot we become porous. Which has absolutely nothing to do with the midfield.
Do you have any stats or evidence to support this? Not saying you’re wrong but since you’re so certain I’d be interested to see how our record compares when we only play one holding midfield player.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
If you look at Ole's first season here -

He tried everything by rotating the midfield. We saw Pogba with Matic Pogba with Mctomminay. Pogba with Fred. Pogba with Fred and Mctomminay. We used Mctomminay and Fred. We even tried to use Andreas pereira in midfield.

What happened? Our best performances didnt come by Pogba with Matic, it came with Fred and Mctomminay.

So it became a staple of our squad.

Pogba and Matic wasnt as good as Fred and Mctomminay against alot of teams.
Yes it did. Precisely because we couldn't protect the center defence enough ANY other way. Which IS the whole problem!

It's strange people seriously think Upgrading the DM will miraculously mean that center defence pair still won't need 2 players to shield it.

That's why people want a new CDM to replace Matic because we think the reason Pogba and Matic didnt work was because Matic's legs have gone.
I know they do. I have also laid out why I'm completely convinced they are wrong. For they are conflating a center half issue with a midfield one. The preffered starting center defence requires 2 players to shield it STRICTLY because it can't operate infront of one. Not because those that can play infront of it are not good enough to protect it alone.

I dont see why if we get someone like Rice we would stick them with Mctomminay or Fred.
We will because Rice would still require the help of either Fred or Mctominay to protect that center defence. Anyone who thinks he's suddenly offer more freedom to a Pogba and a better shield to that problem center half pair would receive a very rude awakening.

The biggest problem is that we are heavily reliant of Pogba's career choice. He is our current deep lying playmaker type player - if he goes then we need that just as much as or more than a ball winning midfielder like Rice.
I insist. We sort out that center half pair. Pogba staying or going wont matter on single bit. We bought Van De beek after all.

We are robbed constantly of playing a deep we play maker because of the type of center defence we have. Not the DMs we posses.

People should study the statistics properly. We intercept, block and win the ball more than City
Yet we STILL concede more from set pieces and open play. If our DMs were as poor as people imagine. Wed conceded alot on the counter attack. Fact is we have conceded twice on the counter all season.
It is not by coincidence. Even our recent spurt of clean sheets had everything to do with Fred and mcTominay together and adding Henderson on goal. But some how Lindeloff and Maguire have got the credit instead. So much so we have a number of fans thinking we should keep them together and instead invest in a DM and a striker. Rather than sorting center defence and right wing out. Our true actual problem positions.

youngrell

Yep. It’s plenty of little things like that which start to become transparent when you actually closely watch a player week in week out at the top level.

How well does he receive the ball under the press? How two-footed is he, does he need to open his entire body to make a pass? Can he circulate the ball in midfield with a bit of zip etc etc.

Admittedly, I’ve not seen enough of Rice (because who wants to waste their life watching a bunch of West Ham games?) but my impression was always that his biggest strengths are his resilience and stamina - he played all 38 matches last season, and is on 29 for 29 this season, for example. That in and of itself is a massive plus. But in terms of actually playing about on the ball as the defensive midfielder for a side aiming for CL/title winning football, I always imagined he'd come short.

He always seemed like a modern CB playing in DM to me. Not sure if that's accurate at all, mind...
I think that's a decent assessment from what I've seen, too.

As you say, he has some strengths such as being very reliable, solid defensively, and his attitude also seems spot on from bits I've seen (personality reminds me of McTominay actually). But there are a lot of questions to be asked to how he functions in our system vs the one he's currently operating in, which also includes Soucek next to him usually, and sometimes even Noble too.

He's not even currently performing the role our fans seems want him to do here, so it's very difficult to see how he gets on with us.

Do you have any stats or evidence to support this? Not saying you’re wrong but since you’re so certain I’d be interested to see how our record compares when we only play one holding midfield player.
I haven't quite found the perfect website to highlight this issues statistically.

Yet Just going off line ups alone per game. If one goes through the games we have fielded just one holding player this term. The difference shows up in the results. Plus in the individual match statistics.

Every time we play in a more front foot manner. Especially employing one defensive minded midfielder
Our center defence causes us problems, especially when as per their natural game they attempt to step into midfield. That is why we are better away from home. Because we let opponents come on to us.

At home. Whenever the forward press high and Scott/ Fred and their partner join in, the defence becomes vulnerable. Not only can they not deal with pace in behind or running at them. They can't even mop up behind the pressing midfield because neither of them is proactive in style. Plus their lack of pace leaves to many holes for a sole defensive minded midfielder to plug.
Thus any time the ball gets passed the shield, they are likely to concede. It's why we have conceded so much at home. That is why we seem more solid when both Fred and mcTominay are there as one does the mop up job as the other one presses. On top of them covering for any forrays Maguire or Lindeloff make forward die to their lack of pace.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
No, no and no. We do it often vs tough teams because we DON'T gave a choice. Lindeloff and Maguire are neither compatible enough not quick enough to operate infront of just one holder.

The notion that it's because our DMs are supposedly not good enough is laughable in the extreme. Heck our center defence is such an issue that even with the extra protection it's still porous.
It doesn't matter who we have in defence, the two deeper midfielders need to be solid defensively. That's why it's difficult to play either Pogba (who is poor defensively) or Matic (since he seems to have completely lost his legs) against strong teams and even against weaker teams sometimes. Especially since our main three attackers don't do that much defensively either - we end up with only two of our front six (Bruno and the sole DM) doing any significant defensive work. Even if we had VDV in the defence and Kante or Ndidi playing as the one DM, we're going to have problems.

The issue isn't that we are playing two DM's, that's a perfectly fine line-up. It's that the DM's don't provide enough when we have the ball. One of them should really be able to provide at least the same level of protection as McTominay does while being a far better playmaker and creator. That's the balance we should have rather than trying to choose between defensive ability (McFred combo) or creative ability (one of them next to Pogba). We should have both aspects without having to sacrifice one.

Sure, having an absolute beast of a central defender will help things a bit but I think you are overestimating how much. A lot of the goals we concede (especially recently) have been from set pieces rather than open play, and that's probably more a coaching and organising issue rather than individual. We tend to have quite a tall team that should be much better in that aspect than they are.

In saying all of that, I actually think both striker and right winger are a bigger problem than either DM or CB. Having players in those positions who are contributing their share both on and off the ball would take a lot of pressure off those deeper roles.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Sure, having an absolute beast of a central defender will help things a bit but I think you are overestimating how much. A lot of the goals we concede (especially recently) have been from set pieces rather than open play, and that's probably more a coaching and organising issue rather than individual. We tend to have quite a tall team that should be much better in that aspect than they are.

In saying all of that, I actually think both striker and right winger are a bigger problem than either DM or CB. Having players in those positions who are contributing their share both on and off the ball would take a lot of pressure off those deeper roles.
I agree with this. I also think Rashford needs to improve when the other team have the ball. Our CBs dont have more protection than at CBs at other teams. Quite the opposite, actually. The only attacker who press at Man Utd is Bruno (and Cavani/James but they dont play that much).

Liverpool play with three midfielders that mainly protect their CBs. Yes, they have more attacking fullbacks, but their attackers press with intensity and consequently do a great job for the midfielders and defenders.

If our defence and midfield played behind Mane, Salah and Jota/Firmino (rather than Rashford, Martial and Greenwood) they would look alot better!

It doesn't matter who we have in defence, the two deeper midfielders need to be solid defensively.
I strongly disagree.
In this day and age as a big side you should NEVER require 2 players playing in a double pivot to both be solid defensively. Its is unnecessary and takes away from the ability to play front foot football.

You should strictly have one player dedicated to defending and the other simply to support. Meaning your center defence should he comfortable with just one dedicated defensive shield.

Two of the most dominant title winning EPL sides in recent history had just 1 shield infront of defence. Especially City. They literally played two 10s and Fernandinho.

Liverpool to a lesser extent. Because it can be argued Henderson and Wijnauldum are both defensive and pressing machines. But that's more down to the managers geggen pressing style than the fact Pool stepped up another level when it was just Fabinho sitting infront of defence as the other 2 pushed on to press and attack.

Yet I assure you even if you gifted us prime Fernandinho. He alone would never be able to protect Lindeloff and Maguire as a pair.

Protecting Lindeloff and Maguire is the exact same issue as protecting Stones with Otamendi was last season.

City tried everything. Even playing Gundogan with Rodri. It didn't help. Just sorting out that compatibility issue this season by adding Diaz transformed City once more to what they should be. It's not coincidence

That's why it's difficult to play either Pogba (who is poor defensively) or Matic (since he seems to have completely lost his legs) against strong teams and even against weaker teams sometimes. Especially since our main three attackers don't do that much defensively either - we end up with only two of our front six (Bruno and the sole DM) doing any significant defensive work. Even if we had VDV in the defence and Kante or Ndidi playing as the one DM, we're going to have problems.
I don't buy this claim at all. Our problems start and end in center defence. Because the center defence is questionable we can't:
1. Operate a higher line
2. Press as a team upfield
3. Play a defensive player and an attacking player in the double pivot
4. Have to sacrifice an attacker to add a second playmaker to the team.

I tell you, if we had like VVD with either Lindeloff or Maguire. We'd even be able to play 2 Pogba's as a double pivot and would hardly break a sweat vs the vast majority of teams.

The issue isn't that we are playing two DM's, that's a perfectly fine line-up. It's that the DM's don't provide enough when we have the ball.
You are just re-enforcing my point. Because we are forced to play 2 defensive oriented players to shield our current starting center defence we are robbed of contribution going forward. For the life of me I can't understand why people imagine importing yet another midfielder, albeit a defensive one would cure that problem.

I
Sure, having an absolute beast of a central defender will help things a bit but I think you are overestimating how much.
I'm really not. City and Pool are my proof.

Last season City had the identical issue we have in center defence. Look where they finished. They sort it out in the summer. Look where they are now.

Last season Pool had VDV full time. They broke records and won the league.

This season without him. Look at the resultant demise effect it has had on their midfield and attack. Just because their center defence was out of wack.

A lot of the goals we concede (especially recently) have been from set pieces rather than open play, and that's probably more a coaching and organising issue rather than individual. We tend to have quite a tall team that should be much better in that aspect than they are.
Our set pieces goals are almost all a direct result of incompatibility between Lindeloff and Maguire. At set pieces they do the exact same things. If one was being pro active (attacking the ball + aggressively marking) and the other standing off (protecting zones) The results would be vastly different.

Instead both do identical things.

fair enough.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We drop an attacker for Pogba because our center defence requires double protection. Anyone who believes Rice would miraculously change this fact is totally kidding themselves.
Also because neither Fred or Mctominay are defensive mids. An actual defensive mid like Ndidi could easily replace the defensive work that a combined McTominay and Fred do (though not attacking pressing... but defensive solidity/positioning/shielding the back 4 easily yes).

SirMarcusRashford

Talking bollox
Talking facts. There's a lot of Irish hate towards Rice.

Irish folks on here are nationalistic as they come and because of that Declan Rice gets a lot of hate on here. I remember the James McCarthy thread being one of the most active threads on here for about 2 to 3 years because Irish Manchester United fans wanted United to sign him, was on page 1 all the time, nothing to do with the interests of the club, because he wasn't really that good, it was just because he was Irish and Irish fans wanted an Irish player shoehorned in the club.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Irish folks on here are nationalistic as they come and because of that Declan Rice gets a lot of hate on here. I remember the James McCarthy thread being one of the most active threads on here for about 2 to 3 years because Irish Manchester United fans wanted United to sign him, was on page 1 all the time, nothing to do with the interests of the club, because he wasn't really that good, it was just because he was Irish and Irish fans wanted an Irish player shoehorned in the club.
Utter utter nonsense. Nothing to do with his nationality. At one point mcArthur may have been a thing, down to his abilities at the time. You’re way off with this.

golden_blunder

Staff

And another fact, I suppose you’re also going to claim that Irish fans wouldn’t want grealish either?

SirMarcusRashford

And another fact, I suppose you’re also going to claim that Irish fans wouldn’t want grealish either?
I think there may be 'some' who don't want him because of that but what I'm hoping is most Irish United fans put that to one side because he would be a great asset to the club and i think most do see it that way.

I do believe 'most' Irish football fans wanted his career to flop though and if he did a Dele Alli next season, ie:- look fantastic 1 or 2 seasons and becomes average suddenly, Irish football fans would be the first onto it, which is what we see with Rice, but Rice being a DMF ie:- not a glam position, he gets it anyway regardless of his performances.

I'm betting most people who have a strong opinion of Rice probably only watch him play football twice a season and that's just against United.

GueRed

i've barely seen him play...

does he have a good range of passing?
can he see and play an early pass?
is he mobile enough?

Also because neither Fred or Mctominay are defensive mids. An actual defensive mid like Ndidi could easily replace the defensive work that a combined McTominay and Fred do (though not attacking pressing... but defensive solidity/positioning/shielding the back 4 easily yes).
I don't care how good the DM is. No DM can cover Maguire and Lindeloff on their lonesome. Not only does their lack of pace create extra holes to cover when either of them natural break into midfield, because they don't have the pace to fall into good covering positions.

Their incompatibility as a pair also creates problems.

Not to mention the no man's land they create between them and the midfield by being to afraid to push up when we are at home due to their lack of press when we attempt to press and play in the front foot as a team. Allowing players pockets to drop into. Which is what the double shield constantly protects against.

That is why we often employ a double shield to protect them

golden_blunder

Staff
I think there may be 'some' who don't want him because of that but what I'm hoping is most Irish United fans put that to one side because he would be a great asset to the club and i think most do see it that way.

I do believe 'most' Irish football fans wanted his career to flop though and if he did a Dele Alli next season, ie:- look fantastic 1 or 2 seasons and becomes average suddenly, Irish football fans would be the first onto it, which is what we see with Rice, but Rice being a DMF ie:- not a glam position, he gets it anyway regardless of his performances.

I'm betting most people who have a strong opinion of Rice probably only watch him play football twice a season and that's just against United.
Complete rubbish. All the Irish United fans care about one thing - United. Where a player comes from is not important

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Just a little thing that I have in the back of my head:

Considering there has been quite alot of talk for over a year about Ole wanting a left footed LCB to play with Maguire & the links to Pau Torres (aswell as the possible exits for Bailly) - I have a feeling that kind of blends with Rice a bit.

Considering how often we see players like Matic playing inbetween the CB's as a third false CB - I can see Rice being really good at that in Ole's eyes.

AWB- Maguire - Rice - Torres - Shaw
Ball playing abilities on both CB'S at an angle with their stronger foot and that is some very defensively capable back 5 when needed.

As great as Ndidi is, would it be destroying his natural game to be sitting and playing in deep central positions rather than running around and chasing after the ball when he sees it?

SirMarcusRashford

Complete rubbish. All the Irish United fans care about one thing - United. Where a player comes from is not important
I don't know why you keep saying "complete rubbish" 1) you don't speak for the whole of Ireland 2) other people have noticed it, not just this thread but the James McCarthy thread too when that was on page 1 all the time because Irish United fans wanted him here (want me to give examples of people picking up on Irish nationalism in these 2 threads?), so if more than 1 person's noticed it, it's not complete rubbish.

Edit:- i have no issue what so ever with Irish people, so don't try and reverse it all onto me, also when you ask a question, you just ask a question, not promote what you want someone to say after the question, but what do you think is going to happen asking that question, people admiting to having nationalistic agendas behind certain views on football? :rolleyes:

Also whats with the "our" when talking about me, I'm not part of this football forum, I've already made my point clear in the past that i don't want to be promoted, 3 posts a day is enough for me, ban me for all i care, which I'm sure you are trying to promote anyway in the bog cleaners staff room, would be no great loss in my life as it would be for 100,000 posts you.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Staff
I don't know why you keep saying "complete rubbish" 1) you don't speak for the whole of Ireland 2) other people have noticed it, so if more than 1 person's noticed it, it's not complete rubbish.
Ok let’s hear it since you started it.

irish fans does rices nationality come into it?

I’d like to think not unlike our Irish fanatic here

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
There's no chance we ever sign Rice, unless we suddenly go Chelsea/City summers of big net spends.
Currently, the fee he'd take would most likely be our summer net spend, and there can't be anyone that thinks signing just Rice as your main signing is anything sort of bonkers.

AneRu

I'd be in support of this signing if we didn't need to sign at least two starters in the summer becaue whilst he won't be spectacular he'd serve a purpose and be the anchor around which we build our midfield for the next decade.

The problem though is we also need a starting CB and a striker/winger to mitigate against sustained loss of form from our attackers and address the compatibility issues between Maguire and Lindelof.

We won't be signing Haaland but any forward we sign is going to cost us upwards of £60m, Rice would the same or more and so will a CB. That's easily £250m minimum, in a pandemic and we don't have valuable players that we could sell whilst our owners just couldn't be bothered to push the boat out.

Going for Rice, imo, would mean that we sacrifice a CB or take our chances with the forwards that we have - something I don't see Ole doing. I think, if he had £100m - £150m he would rather get the striker/winger (Sancho) and a CB then look hobble on with Fred and McT at the base of the midfield.

The most frustrating thing is that spending, say £200m on Sancho, Rice and Pau Torres could elevate this side and get us involved in title challenge, advance deep into the CL and possibly pick up a Cup or two. It would raise our level and make us genuine competitors because a player like Rice allows us to play with Pogba and Bruno as our two playmakers without losing steel in midfield whilst Sancho makes it impossible to double up on Bruno, Rashford or Martial thus making it difficult to defend against.

Okey

I tell you, if we had like VVD with either Lindeloff or Maguire. We'd even be able to play 2 Pogba's as a double pivot and would hardly break a sweat vs the vast majority of teams.
Exactly like France sometimes do! Pogba and Ndombele last game if I recall correctly. I've seen him and Rabiot too. I agree we'd be a completely different team with a dominant, quick CB. An upgrade on CDM still wouldn't go amiss, mind.

Exactly like France sometimes do! Pogba and Ndombele last game if I recall correctly. I've seen him and Rabiot too. I agree we'd be a completely different team with a dominant, quick CB. An upgrade on CDM still wouldn't go amiss, mind.
Well highlighted about France.

As for a CDM: It wouldn't go a miss. But a CDM WONT sort out the goal leakages. Nor the inability to consistently play in the front foot.

Give Maguire/Lindeloff a partner who can enable them To play on the half way line or beyond it without fear. And we will be a better team 3 times over, over night.

It's like people have forgotten what made Rio and Vidic so good. They were yin and yang. Quick and slow. Silk and iron glove. They could play on the half way line at their peak cock sure next to no could get behind them. Especially with a 6 in front of them

Heck they were even just as great with anderson and Scholes infront of them.

It's for that same reason Smalling and Blind did so well under LVG. Yin and yang.

Right now our starting pair are yin yin or yang yang. A receipe for disaster nor dm can contend with.

Last edited:
Also because neither Fred or Mctominay are defensive mids.
Rather it's because Maguire and Lindeloff need at least 2 players to cover for their short comings as a pair. Just like Otamendi - Stones at City last season.

Pep when faced with that scenario didn't think Upgrading his DMs was the answer. He was spot on.
An actual defensive mid like Ndidi could easily replace the defensive work that a combined McTominay and Fred do (though not attacking pressing... but defensive solidity/positioning/shielding the back 4 easily yes).
An actually defensive midfielder would simply end up like Rodri or Fernandinho last season. Trying in vain to protect Otamendi - Stones leaking goals. Even a 3rd cb type like the incredible makelele would be made to look bad by such a partnership. Guaranteed.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
France pretty much always play a third hard-working central midfielder on the wing to provide that extra cover when they play Pogba in that formation. It used to be Matuidi back in the World Cup and more recently it's Sissoko. That's despite normally playing next to Kante and in international games which are generally slower and weaker opposition than what he'd face in the league.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Considering there has been quite alot of talk for over a year about Ole wanting a left footed LCB to play with Maguire & the links to Pau Torres (aswell as the possible exits for Bailly) - I have a feeling that kind of blends with Rice a bit.
I think the combination of Torres and Rice would be useful for our transition play too. But we would still need a RB.

I do think Red Indian Chief makes a good point that Lindelof/Maguire is not a very good match. But I also think he makes to much of it. Most good manager try to protect their CBs with at least two players. Conte protected his three CBs with two defensive midfielders (Matic/Kante). Klopp protected Matip/VvD with Gini/Hendo/Fabinho. Pep usually play with one DM, but also plays fullbacks very narrow.

In short, all top manager somehow try to have five players that will be responsible for protecting the area between the two wide areas (half-space + central area of the pitch) on your own half of the pitch.

Last edited:

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Rice's defensive game is very good but don't think he offers much else to justify the massive price tag. You could probably find a much cheaper option on the continent with equal ability in tackling, intercepting etc.

golden_blunder

Staff
Rice's defensive game is very good but don't think he offers much else to justify the massive price tag. You could probably find a much cheaper option on the continent with equal ability in tackling, intercepting etc.
Meh you’re just saying that because you’re Irish

signing players from the PL reduces risk for the buying club. It’s not a ‘British tax’ per se, but having experience in the PL and being up to speed with the pace and intensity is important.

of course, it doesn’t mean players from outside can’t hit the ground running.

who would you suggest from outside the PL?

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Do you think there's any chance of getting Rice?
If we want him I think there is. I think few clubs will be looking for a DM. Chelsea is probably not an option.

I really would not want us to sign him for a stupid fee. But I’m not sure it would be the case. I’m not saying that he has a clause in his contract, but considering he signed a new contract with WH a few days before he could start talking to other clubs (and then leave for free) I would be surprised if there is not a gentlemens agreement that he can leave for a reasonable fee.

Furthermore, I would imagine that WH understand that being able to invest this summer might give them a few opportunities that a club like them normally would not have. They usually invest a lot in France, and there is a few clubs there who really struggle.

I also think Lingard gives us a stronger hand.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I feel like this is easier said than done.

Try find me 5 players outside the PL that could be our CDM?

Status
Not open for further replies.