Defensive overhaul

Trizy

Evans has to be the first defender to go, lets face it even if we need all of them replaced we won't be doing it all in one window. After the City game Smalling would be first on my list but in terms of injuries Evans has to go first.

Keep

Jones
Blackett
McNair

For back up and sign two top defenders (if possible)

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Everyone is saying get rid of the three injury prone ones and replace them with quality but it's nowhere near that easy. Hummels seems to be most people's favourite but he's gonna be very hard to get and he seems quite injury prone himself. Laporte has a huge release clause for a player his age. Then we're linked with people like Shawcross and Vlaar. Shawcross is nowhere near good enough and I don't think Vlaar is either, although I would much rather him to Shawcross. Pique is another that we've been linked to but he has regressed massively. Who else is left after those?

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
People seem to be ignoring FFP too. We can't spend again like this summer in Jan/next summer without falling foul of it, especially with falling revenues.

If there were lots of excellent defenders out there for us to buy, that'd be one thing, but there really aren't.

Even Hummels isn't a great fit for us imo. Obvious upgrade on what we have, but he's not fast, has injuries and will cost a fortune.

I'm sure LVG has a plan.

C'est Moi Cantona

Is a bit of a nightmare because of the sheer lack of options out there, and the fact people know we will be desperate again.

Could do with 2 CB's, and one RB, i'd happily see Smalling, and Evans out of the door, it's likely at best that only one of the youth players will make it long term, Jones though is still full of potential and i'd keep him for now.

Can't see Coleman myself, Everton are pretty solid finacially atm, and he's just signed a new deal I think, they'd want crazy money and he's just not worth it, would love us to dangle a carrot at Chelsea and have a go for Ivanovic but pretty unlikely, not sure the contract situation with Alves but he could be a cheap option, as could Vlaar, Vertonghen, or Williams for CB, maybe people will turn their nose up to them but they'd be dam handy just now.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
First and foremost we need to find a way to keep defenders healthy. It not a new problem this season, we have dealt with injury issues far too much the last 3 or 4. Bringing in new and better players will not do us much good if we can not keep them on the pitch.

Evans and Smalling probably have reached the end of their time here. Evans looked completely lost when he did play for us this season. Smalling just has not been able to show he belongs either. Some depth will have to be added in addition to find a few starters.

Getsme

Quite a lot of posters realise that they all have enough talent or are good enough, if they would stay injury free. They don't though and that's reason enough to look for replacements. To answer your question, our team won't be able to build a solid relationship at the back, since they are or won't be available for a prolonged period of time, at least the past suggests as much. Van Gaal will be aware of their injury records and he probably decided to trust them to turn it around, since he was confident of his own capabilities as a coach, he probably was wrong and will react to that. With all of that being said, the unlikely might happen and they turn it around, but I don't believe it anymore. Ferguson put his trust in Rafael, Smalling, Jones and Evans, for quite some time I did too and still rate all of them highly, still any sympathy I had for them is completely gone this season. They could've have stepped up since Ferguson retired, but since then they actually look worse, bar Rafael who has improved again under van Gaal, I don't see any reason not to look at potential alternatives. Van Gaal also did Smalling and Jones a favour in not playing them at right-back anymore unlike his predecessors. Obviously the change of training regime might have caused injuries to them as well, but it's always them. In my opinion it's completely normal and justified that supporters are beginning or already have lost all their faith in them or one of them.

I agree that Vlaar isn't the solution and Vertonghen simply doesn't convince me. Unlike others I've actually liked Rojo's performances so far given the circumstances.
Don’t get me wrong I think they should all be replaced eventually, what’s annoying me is the piss poor attempt by some to convince themselves that all will click into place when we get rid of Jones, Evans and Smalling and to a lesser extent Rafael.
Given the circumstances the defensive players have had to play under this season I believe they have come into unfair criticism, people tend to focus on the negative which mean they cant see any of the good. Smallings idiocy aside, the defence have coped quite well over the last couple of months, in fact I don’t think any team could have coped as well. It seems there always has to be a scapegoat and people tend to pick on the easiest target(s), it gets tiresome after a while.

C'est Moi Cantona

People seem to be ignoring FFP too. We can't spend again like this summer in Jan/next summer without falling foul of it, especially with falling revenues.

If there were lots of excellent defenders out there for us to buy, that'd be one thing, but there really aren't.

Even Hummels isn't a great fit for us imo. Obvious upgrade on what we have, but he's not fast, has injuries and will cost a fortune.

I'm sure LVG has a plan.
Don't think we need to really, RB, and CB is the major issue, and maybe LW, not going to need to blow £150 million on the those positions to get them sorted, especially with money to come from player sales too.

Reckon we can keep our net spend to more like £50-£60 million, which is more than doable for us under FFP.

antsmithmk

Hates women.
Rio without Vidic was not the same man.

Vidic without Rio.... Not the same man.

It's about partnerships at the back. The players themselves are very good defenders, but they are not getting the time to form a partnership because of injuries. Pallister and Bruce individually were not amazing players and had their faults, but by god they knew were each other would be, who would go with what run and they had each other's backs. This sort of thing you can't put a FM rating on.... What we need is Rojo and Evans getting 5-8 games on the trot with each other.

What's made the situation worse are
a number of injuries
b lack of games to forge an understanding.

bucky

Don’t get me wrong I think they should all be replaced eventually, what’s annoying me is the piss poor attempt by some to convince themselves that all will click into place when we get rid of Jones, Evans and Smalling and to a lesser extent Rafael.
Given the circumstances the defensive players have had to play under this season I believe they have come into unfair criticism, people tend to focus on the negative which mean they cant see any of the good. Smallings idiocy aside, the defence have coped quite well over the last couple of months, in fact I don’t think any team could have coped as well. It seems there always has to be a scapegoat and people tend to pick on the easiest target(s), it gets tiresome after a while.
Yeah, I agree with that.

Everyone is saying get rid of the three injury prone ones and replace them with quality but it's nowhere near that easy. Hummels seems to be most people's favourite but he's gonna be very hard to get and he seems quite injury prone himself. Laporte has a huge release clause for a player his age. Then we're linked with people like Shawcross and Vlaar. Shawcross is nowhere near good enough and I don't think Vlaar is either, although I would much rather him to Shawcross. Pique is another that we've been linked to but he has regressed massively. Who else is left after those?
Schär, who is out of contract next summer, Musacchio, Juan Jesus, Astori

Not saying they are good enough or better than what we have, but might be options.