Dele Alli | Overlap Interview with Neville opens up on childhood trauma and mental health issues

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I think he's opened the door for a lot of players who will be in a similar situation. I was given Zolpidem and Zopiclone on a number of occasions when my bipolar disorder was preventing sleep and it feels like a perfect solution, you go straight out, you wake up naturally six or seven hours later feeling great.
But tolerance builds up very quickly and other problems start so it becomes a dangerous gamble.
I think Dele will learn he's far from alone in his industry, I found that out anyway and got to recognising the signs when I was recovering.
I take Zopiclone every night, doesn't make me go straight out at all. Either I've got a ridiculous tolerance to drugs or I seriously need to change. No sleeping meds I've ever been given have ever really helped.

Kellyiom

I take Zopiclone every night, doesn't make me go straight out at all. Either I've got a ridiculous tolerance to drugs or I seriously need to change. No sleeping meds I've ever been given have ever really helped.
I know the feeling, unfortunately. They worked really well for me initially but I found the same happen, I seemed to develop a tolerance very quickly and got into a negative spiral so have to and old fashioned countdown from 100 to 0 to get shut down; also no obvious things like caffeine ban after 18:00, no phone or computer usage in the last hour and no major exercise in that last either.
It's a drag but for me, with bipolar that manifests as hypomania or mania, it's the safest mechanism but it's no cure, but an improvement on what I was doing! I am also prescribed quetiapine and an antihistamine in low dosages for additional support when it's very difficult to sleep but they do leave me in a 'hangover' next day.
I give you all my support and best wishes, it's a very difficult problem even to define and even starting to get one night complete has got to be a win, don't beat yourself up about it and celebrate the minor wins, you can get there. Take care.

red.knight

He was released by Derby in summer 2021, was without a club for half a year before signing for Adanaspor in January 2022. They released him six months later and he hasn’t signed for anyone since.

Been training with Chesterfield this summer apparently but nothing concrete yet in terms of getting a contract there or to a club higher up the leagues.
Do football clubs have necessary mental health provisions in place to help players maintain good mental health in training, matches and socially?