Demetri Mitchell

jb8521

Is he injured? haven't heard much about him in awhile.
Made a good comeback for the u21s last week after only playing a few games in the past 18 months because of a few different injuries. Did well on his comeback and his shot led to the goal. He'll probably be involved for the u21s again tonight

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Made a good comeback for the u21s last week after only playing a few games in the past 18 months because of a few different injuries. Did well on his comeback and his shot led to the goal. He'll probably be involved for the u21s again tonight
Thanks mate

khoazany

Him and Rathbone have been the victims so far to the fact that we have too many older players on the first team fringe who're still playing U21s football almost every week,plus Rothwell who's on the limbo.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Him and Rathbone have been the victims so far to the fact that we have too many older players on the first team fringe who're still playing U21s football almost every week,plus Rothwell who's on the limbo.
I'd completely forgotten about Rathbone. Has he been injured at all? He's made no appearances this year and only made the bench a few times. Josh Doughty is another who just doesn't seem to be involved in anything.

khoazany

I'd completely forgotten about Rathbone. Has he been injured at all? He's made no appearances this year and only made the bench a few times. Josh Doughty is another who just doesn't seem to be involved in anything.
Played quite well vs. Blackpool in the LSC.We wanted to request to play him down with the U18s this year due to his size but got rejected so I don't think he'll play much for the U21s this season.Probably will see him more next season.Doughty is a strange signing since he doesn't seem to be rated at all (he's quite tall so physique isn't an excuse) and if not due to his age I doubt he would even be ahead of the likes of Gribbin or Dearnley in the queue.Probably will be released at the end of the season along with El-Fitouri since we have many younger,more talented players coming up so we don't even need them to make up the numbers.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Mitchell played the last 15 mins in yesterdays defeat to Southampton, anyone care to share how he played? thanks.

bdecuc

Mitchell played the last 15 mins in yesterdays defeat to Southampton, anyone care to share how he played? thanks.
Thought he was lively. Linked up well on the right wing although he was only on for a short time. He was one of only a couple actual attacking players on the pitch for us so made a difference when he came on in that sense.

khoazany

A Sheffield United fan said that their club wanted to take Mitchell on loan and both club is assessing his fitness in the next 3 weeks before making a decision.

rotherham_red

A Sheffield United fan said that their club wanted to take Mitchell on loan and both club is assessing his fitness in the next 3 weeks before making a decision.
That'd be a good move for him, considering he's had little exposure at u21 level. What sort of level is he potentially? Rashford or Webber?

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
So whats the story with his fitness.....he is now fit(without a injury) for a very long time, complete preseason is behind him and how the feck is he not fit to play? If he is not fit then surely the coaches are to blame, they are the ones that need to ensure that players are fit to play. A really strange situation, so sad to see him sitting on that bench week after week :(

FromTheBench

Yeah, with no players with the seniors seemingly dropping down this season he is like the flair player that U23 really needs.

Being on the bench and just a cameo sub role each game is so strange. I mean how unfit can he be?

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
"I got into the Reserves squad but then I had an ankle injury and needed surgery," the lively attacker toldMUTV. "I went to try to kick on from there but it kind of fell apart a bit when I came back. I didn't really feel the same player and had loads of months out. But I've got a good pre-season behind me and I'm again hoping to kick on.

"I thought when I came back, everything would just be the same but I was tired and didn't feel as strong. It took me quite a while before I started to find myself again. The injury happened again but, after a year, I've got a foundation behind me now.

"It was a hard time and I didn't really know how to deal with it too well until I got back on the pitch. I damaged it again and thought I was injury prone but realised it was just a bit of bad luck. I'm feeling strong again and my ankle feels stable."

The 19-year-old was part of the England squad that won the Under-17 European Championship in 2014 and clearly has talent in abundance, wherever he is deployed.

"Personally, I feel I play best on the wing," Mitchell added. "Preferably the right wing as I like to cut in, dribble and shoot. But I even came on at left-back recently and felt comfortable there.

"A few players in my position have left, like James Weir and Andreas Pereira (on loan), so I think it's a chance for me to get in the Reserves team, cement a place, try to progress this season and help the side. I hope to get a few goals and the team can kick on because we're lacking a few attacking options."
Nice to hear. I've seen him a couple of times for England, and remember his exuberance prior to his injury for the Man Utd U18s, and felt he could potentially end up in the Man Utd squad in the foreseeable future. Once again, I look forward to his progress.

m1y2

he's no less talented than rashford but bad luck for injuries can cost him his united career, doesn't mean he can be a great player in the future but these reoccuring ankle injuries are the worst, see James Wilson but if he stays injury free and works hard I believe he can be a great premier league player, nomatter where he ends up, you need an extra luck to get into the United team, see Rashford.. YOu dont have much time to develop players for the first team these days unless you're an exceptional talent, Demi is one of them but needs a bit of luck with damn injuries as well.. wish him only good

SteveW

Anyone watch him much at left back? We could really use one in the first team with a bit of pace and attacking quality

khoazany

One of the very few forwards in the reserves is being molded to a left back, this is one of the most boring sides in a while, we sometimes just field 7 midfielders. Q
Actually he's the only one (unless we count Doughty who only play once over a blue moon).

jb8521

Anyone watch him much at left back? We could really use one in the first team with a bit of pace and attacking quality
He's only played there for the past 3 or 4 games but has looked really good there and has a goal and 2 assists. He's had a few lapses in concentration and positioning errors which is to be expected from someone adapting to a new position but he works hard defensively and I've been more impressed with him playing left back than when he's played further forward this season. Having a bit more space to attack and get a run on defenders seems to really suit him and he's looked better than when he receives the ball tightly marked and has to try to create something.

jb8521

It did but it is still a demotion. Wingers can become the most vaunted players in the world and earn at the very highest level commercially, full backs cannot.
I think he has far more chance of making it at a higher level if he can successfully convert to an attacking full back than he does of making it as a winger. Even if he ends up as a winger if he wants to make it as a professional he needs to work on his defensive game so getting used to defending will do him more good than harm. The idea that playing in a different position to your natural one is a demotion is a pretty strange concept, if anything I think it shows that the manager has faith in the players all round footballing ability and mental ability to adapt to a new position and take new ideas on board.

spenzo

Is he as good or better than Joe Riley?
Although he's played fewer games in my opinion I'd say, as a left back, yes. I'm hoping Riley's long-term future is at right back though anyway. Still can't help but think we're wasting a potentially very good winger in Demi but as has been said already there's no harm in him learning a new position and if this turns out to be his best chance at making it here then it makes sense.

m1y2

Although he's played fewer games in my opinion I'd say, as a left back, yes. I'm hoping Riley's long-term future is at right back though anyway. Still can't help but think we're wasting a potentially very good winger in Demi but as has been said already there's no harm in him learning a new position and if this turns out to be his best chance at making it here then it makes sense.
the thing is Mitchell will never make it here as a winger, Rashford was super lucky to get into the first team as an academy attacking product, same with Lingard and both are only squad players and Jesse can be anytime upgraded..

I love attacking players converted into defenders, they can provide something which the pure defenders never will, defending can be learnt much easier than attacking skills or flair. The question if Demi can adapt but I believe it's a good step in his career, if anything he can learn how to be more allround and thus to be perhaps more usable in different setups and roles for his next manager.

btw I love how Valencia was converted into a fullback, he doesn't beat the palyers like he used to and perhaps that's the reason he was converted but he often offers more than traditional fullbacks. Evra is a great example too

spenzo

the thing is Mitchell will never make it here as a winger, Rashford was super lucky to get into the first team as an academy attacking product, same with Lingard and both are only squad players and Jesse can be anytime upgraded..

I love attacking players converted into defenders, they can provide something which the pure defenders never will, defending can be learnt much easier than attacking skills or flair. The question if Demi can adapt but I believe it's a good step in his career, if anything he can learn how to be more allround and thus to be perhaps more usable in different setups and roles for his next manager.

btw I love how Valencia was converted into a fullback, he doesn't beat the palyers like he used to and perhaps that's the reason he was converted but he often offers more than traditional fullbacks. Evra is a great example too
I agree with everything you said but as far as Valencia I viewed his move to full back a bit differently as he was becoming near infuriating as a winger. Would Mitchell make it as a winger at United under Jose? No, but I wouldn't view that as a reflection on his ability. He has all the potential to forge a very good career as a left back too, I just saw/see so much potential in him as an attacking player that it's bitter sweet for me.

Dante

Average bang
The best fullbacks are the ones with the best technique. I think we lose out on a lot of world class players by making them focus on being attackers because their touch happens to be good.

If Mitchell can learn the ropes as a defender, he could be great.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
DEMI MITCHELL TIPPED TO EXCITE UNITED FANS

Manchester United's interim Reserves coach Nicky Butt believes Demi Mitchell is handling his shift to left-back superbly and is ready to impress at Old Trafford in Monday's Premier League 2 match against Southampton.

Kick-off is at 19:00 GMT and there's free entry for all spectators as the young Reds play at the Theatre of Dreams for only the second time this season and look to build on last week's wonderful 3-1 away win over Sunderland.

Mitchell opened the scoring on Wearside from the penalty spot, his fourth goal of the campaign, and he has been one of the real plus points of 2016/17 after switching from a much more attacking role. He is likely to be charged with the responsibility of helping to overcome the Saints, who fielded a very strong and experienced line-up in their last Premier League 2 fixture, a goalless draw with Chelsea.

Speaking about Mitchell's conversion to full-back, Butt told ManUtd.com: "It started out of necessity, if I’m honest, as we had no left-back when Cameron Borthwick-Jackson went out on loan.

"So we needed a replacement and decided Demi could do it. He has got blistering pace. He’s strong, brave, can take people on and can cross a ball.

"When he plays on the left wing, it doesn't always happen for him as the space tightens up pretty quickly but I think, as a modern-day full-back or wing-back, Demi is perfect for that. He comes onto the game at pace and, once in full flight, he’s pretty impossible to stop.

"He just needs to develop the defensive side of it now with coaching. But he’s keen to learn, which is good. I think modern-day full-backs are really attacking players and, if you can get the defensive side right as well, you've got a serious defender on your hands.

"Both Demi and Matthew Olosunde [who has been playing right-back] are very attacking players and good on the eye. They have got to get better at defending one against one but that will come. They are pacey and exciting for fans to watch."

khoazany

We are converting wingers to fullbacks quite frequently these days though. Riley, Mitchell, Kenyon, Tanner, Williams (U16s) spring to mind.