Demetri Mitchell

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
LOCAL LAD MITCHELL MAKING IT AT UNITED

Homegrown talents do not come any more local than Demi Mitchell, the Manchester United prospect brought up in the shadow of Old Trafford.

When the 20-year-old made his debut for the club in the final game of the Premier League season against Crystal Palace, it was another moment to feel proud of the way the club develops youngsters.

"Coming from the Old Trafford area, to play at the stadium was just a dream come true," Mitchell told ManUtd.com. "It all happened so fast, to be fair, and I didn't really expect it this season. It was a great experience and I'm so happy the manager gave me the chance. It was a blessing.

"I used to walk past the ground on my way to school and I used to look at it and dream about playing there. I used to play around there, in the parks, and a lot of my friends are obviously United fans like me. I've been at the club since I was six years old and playing for the first team is something I've been working towards ever since."

Mitchell's season did not get off to the best of starts. His shoot-out miss in the Lancashire Senior Cup against Oldham Athletic proved costly for United Reserves and the fact it looked like a failed attempt at a 'Panenka' penalty only made matters worse. Crucially, he bounced back with a superb winning goal against Leicester City in the very next match.

"It's mad to think that penalty miss happened this season, it feels so long ago," he said. "I changed my mind at the last minute as I intended to put it down the middle. It did look like a chip though and everyone said that to me!

"I redeemed myself with the goal against Leicester and it felt like a turning point, even though it was just the start of the season. I have been putting the penalties away since then. The miss is behind me now and I'm looking forward to taking more."

The decision by interim Reserves coach Nicky Butt to switch Mitchell from winger to left-back is a change that has reaped dividends, with the youngster performing excellently in that first-team win over Palace last month.

"It was his decision due to injuries," recalled Mitchell. "I had to change my game and developed a new position. Nicky spoke to me and helped me a lot. It was just a transition as it's not too dissimilar to left-winger. There is a lot more defending involved obviously but I think I can bring my attacking qualities to left-back as well.

"That side of the game is important to me. I like to get forward and have an impact on the game, getting forward and goals and assists are something I thrive on. I look to bring that to any team I play for.

"I feel comfortable at left-back and it's natural for me to play there. The change was made six or seven months ago now and I've built on it. I've worked hard and watched videos of players like Marcelo and Ashley Cole. I tried to build my game around players like that and I think it's worked well.

"[Under-18 coach] Kieran McKenna helped me with my one-versus-one defending and just believing in my speed by showing my opponent down the line. It's about believing I can stop him [the opponent] with my speed instead of being fearful of him."

Mitchell is currently on international duty with England in the Toulon Tournament with the young Lions through to Saturday's final against Ivory Coast. After a short break this summer, he can approach the new season with real confidence, safe in the knowledge that he looked far from out of place on the big stage.

"I've really tried to take every game and every week as it comes and not look too far into the future," he explained. "I'm hoping to stay fit and play well in the tournament with England and stay fit during my holiday.

"We'll then see what pre-season brings. I could be involved with the first team but, if not, I'll play for the Reserves, train hard and see what comes.

"It is important to get a break but I'm raring to go. The Toulon Tournament is good for me to stay fit and then I'll only have a smaller amount of time on holiday but I'm really looking forward to next season already. Hopefully, some opportunities will arise."

The likeable local lad is certainly feeling the warmth from everybody at Old Trafford willing him to do well at his boyhood club.

"Everyone was buzzing," he said of his debut. "All the staff and all the other players were happy for me. It's a real good thing about United - it's like a big family. Everyone supports everyone else so that's why I was really happy and thankful for all the support after the game."

spenzo

Next season will be a big one for him. Hoping he gets the odd game next season. If Jose doesn't see himself using him though he should probably be out on loan next year although I'm not the biggest fan of loaning players out at times, especially the more talented prospects.

Just like the other youngsters though no one can take that Palace match away from them no matter what comes next. Happiest for Demetri of the lot since he's had a hard time with injuries the last couple years but credit to his mentality to come out the other side.

Clas Sified

Hope he keeps developing well and eventually comes down to Shaw and Mitchell for our LB spot. That'd be great.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I've got high hopes for him. Thought he was brilliant against Palace; you could see there's a lot to work with there. We know he's got all the technical ability due to his development in attacking positions.

Looking forward to seeing this one play out this season. I'm perfectly happy for him and Shaw to provisionally cover the LB spot. We just need a similar option at RB.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
If he can play like he did in the last game regularly we have a serious prospect at left back.

Bwuk

Shaw is clearly the better player
Maybe he is - but he clearly doesn't have the attittude and application to make it here otherwise Jose and his previous managers wouldn't of been so critical of him.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Maybe he is - but he clearly doesn't have the attittude and application to make it here otherwise Jose and his previous managers wouldn't of been so critical of him.
I think Shaw was about to play a key role in the end of the season before his injury. We'll see what happens in pre season.

Bwuk

I think Shaw was about to play a key role in the end of the season before his injury. We'll see what happens in pre season.
Shaw has had about 8 good games in the 3 years he's been here.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
10 tops, yet he seems Marcelo's level according to caftards.
Don't think anyone would say he's anywhere near the standard.

But binning potential because of injuries isn't what we should be doing. Especially when one was a freak incident.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Don't think anyone would say he's anywhere near the standard.

But binning potential because of injuries isn't what we should be doing. Especially when one was a freak incident.
I mean if he was to become close to that level in a few years time.

I thought he had huge potential to be our new Giggs with the pace, drive, skill, dribbling and shot on him when he was younger.

RedCurry

Can't judge a player by his performance in a season end dead rubber but this kid looked fantastic in the game. Always looked busy and has very good pace. I would like to see more of him next season.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I mean if he was to become close to that level in a few years time.

I thought he had huge potential to be our new Giggs with the pace, drive, skill, dribbling and shot on him when he was younger.
Are you still talking about Shaw? If so, I'm baffled, if it's about Mitchell then I understand (how old was he when he scored those 2 goals? 15?)

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Worth pointing out that he kept Zaha(who probably had a point to prove at OT) quiet in his debut match. Not many better right wingers than Zaha in PL.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Was photographed training with the Reserves, won't probably feature in the fist team US tour, which is disappointing when Shaw's still injured.

beergod

Was photographed training with the Reserves, won't probably feature in the fist team US tour, which is disappointing when Shaw's still injured.
Probably kept with the Reserves so he can link up with a club quickly if they find him a loan that suits everyone.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Probably kept with the Reserves so he can link up with a club quickly if they find him a loan that suits everyone.
Wouldn't that happen faster if clubs saw Mourinho considers him enough to take him on tour?

beergod

Wouldn't that happen faster if clubs saw Mourinho considers him enough to take him on tour?
It is possible, but doubtful. Clubs will go off of what they've seen out of him in the Reserves and in his debut against Palace.

Sid234

Delighted to see Mitchell make the tour! Also, McTominay must have really impressed Jose last season to make the tour

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Sat at his side during the CP game, and he impressed massively.
I really do hope he make it here. :drool: