Denmark - Euro 2021 Discussion

Water Melon

Had it gone to penalties, the Danes would have won most probably. Overall, England played better though. I am rooting for England because of the United's players in the team. On a side note: when it comes to politics as a basis to like/dislike a national team, England can not be compared to Denmark. The former are at the very heart of an absolute majority of atrocities that have happened in the Middle East.

crossy1686

career ending
What can you say? We were clearly second best in both quality and energy levels, but still managed to make a game out of it.

I would much have preferred to lose to a quality goal though. Somehow losing to the rebound of a really soft penalty just makes it so much worse.

All in all, the team has done us proud. Great tournament from the lads. Just need to keep our heads high, because this team should qualify and make it out of the group stage in the next World Cup.
Thought Denmark played really well in parts last night, some great one touch passing and runs in behind.

To be honest, if England are going to lose the final to Italy, I'd rather they'd have gone out last night to Denmark. At the moment it feels like I have to endure at least another 90 minutes of football that has the potential to ruin a weekend. Losing a final is so much worse than losing a semi.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Denmark were playing for pens after the 80th minute or so. Only one team was trying to force the win.
I'd say that started way before the 80th min. They had nothing left in the tank midway through the second half, even when we sat back in ET and they were trying to dominate possession it was very slow and laboured and not very threatening.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I thought Denmark was the moderately better team in the first half. After 90 minutes England were the moderately better team.
After 120 England were clearly the better team. Sterling in particular was murdering us.

It wasn't our night. Hjulmand has used his subs very well till then in the tournament but they killed us last night. And then finishing the game with ten men. No chances of changing the game. Meanwhile England subbed on better players than the ones Southgate prefers to start and it showed.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Denmark were playing for pens after the 80th minute or so. Only one team was trying to force the win.
From 70 minutes they looked gassed. You could see their shift in game plan as they dug in for the long haul.

Was actually very surprised at our energy levels last night. Usually you get two teams settling for pens in these situations, and England so many times have done just that! Fair play to them, we didn't give up and tried go force the game. I agree the pen was soft as feck, but in general only one team deserved to win that match. Glad it didn't go to pens cause Casper was on fire and we'd of lost that shootout no doubt

Mike Smalling

Thought Denmark played really well in parts last night, some great one touch passing and runs in behind.

To be honest, if England are going to lose the final to Italy, I'd rather they'd have gone out last night to Denmark. At the moment it feels like I have to endure at least another 90 minutes of football that has the potential to ruin a weekend. Losing a final is so much worse than losing a semi.
Thankfully, the game is Sunday evening, so it can only ruin a very small part of the weekend ;) I have a feeling England will go all the way now. You certainly have enough quality and momentum.

:lol: As we all know England is a beacon of humane politics. Shocking post.

I and many others think our asylum policies are despicable, by the way.
And if anyone posts after the final if we lose, “feck em and their xenophobic brexit bullshit land”, I’ll be fine with that, it’s valid point.
Anyway, was supposed to be a one post “feck em” you cry babies, now you’d whataboutism’d me into a debate on the scummy shit.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Brave tournament and deserved better than to be cheated in the semi’s

crossy1686

career ending
Thankfully, the game is Sunday evening, so it can only ruin a very small part of the weekend ;) I have a feeling England will go all the way now. You certainly have enough quality and momentum.
I don't know mate, Sunday will be awful. The Italians have been here and done it before, they know how to win. Do Denmark have to play a third place game against Spain now? Or have they scrapped that?

Mike Smalling

I don't know mate, Sunday will be awful. The Italians have been here and done it before, they know how to win. Do Denmark have to play a third place game against Spain now? Or have they scrapped that?
They have? I only remember them being dismantled by Spain in the Euro final in 2012, and without having checked, only very few players can be left from that squad. I would say the two teams are about equal in terms of experience with knock-out games in major tournaments.

No 3rd place game in the Euros for some reason. Don't really mind - now we can say we are as good as Spain.

ROFLUTION

And if anyone posts after the final if we lose, “feck em and their xenophobic brexit bullshit land”, I’ll be fine with that, it’s valid point.
Anyway, was supposed to be a one post “feck em” you cry babies, now you’d whataboutism’d me into a debate on the scummy shit.
Mods, if you can delete my post about the questionability of mixing politics with football like this, then surely this (and his other posts) is also posts that has to get the same treatment.

Yes you are. And drive a Volvo with your lights on in the day.
Ha ha.

I drive a Land Rover with a big England flag in the back window just to let these pesky Swedes know what’s what.
I also drive around town blasting out It’s Coming Home and Chumbawamba out of my Kenwood parcel shelf sub woofer system.
It’s safe to say I’m just as liked in real life as on these boards.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
The Baku travel took a toll on their physical condition. They were very tired from 60 minutes beyond.

TheReligion

Abusive
Ha ha.

I drive a Land Rover with a big England flag in the back window just to let these pesky Swedes know what’s what.
I also drive around town blasting out It’s Coming Home and Chumbawamba out of my Kenwood parcel shelf sub woofer system.
It’s safe to say I’m just as liked in real life as on these boards.
Do you wear a St George's Flag pork pie style plastic bowler whilst out shopping during any international tournament?

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I think you'll find you were actually the one who brought up asylum policies in the first place.

Do you wear a St George's Flag pork pie style plastic bowler whilst out shopping during any international tournament?
Erm, does a bear shit in the woods.

I also walk around town with no top on, yet somehow only ever seem to get sunburnt on my neck and arms. I'm not embarrassed though, got my British bulldog tat to show off.

TheReligion

Abusive
Erm, does a bear shit in the woods.

I also walk around town with no top on, yet somehow only ever seem to get sunburnt on my neck and arms. I'm not embarrassed though, got my British bulldog tat to show off.
Absolute rascal!

@rimaldo has a henna version and I've heard if England go all the way he's going to get it done permanently.

I think you'll find you were actually the one who brought up asylum policies in the first place.
Can't be whataboutism without first making a point to be fair Maagge. Anyway, we're over that, shitty scumbag policies we both agree. If it makes you feel better, I slag off England on a daily basis since Brexit, the stupid feckwits. I can't even get my daughter a fecking package delivered here now for her birthday without it being the World's biggest ballache, on 1st July that maximum price of a gift you can send to the EU from outside EU is 500 kr so yesterday I got a VAT invoice for 30 quid, to be paid before they'll release my mum's 60 quid gift :lol:. Wtf, the xenophobic morons that voted that through have my anger as much as the morons who voted through those asylum policies.

Anyway, I thought you lot got a ridiculously soft decision for the free kick, Maguire a ridiculous yellow and you were dead in the water from 60 minutes, just hanging on. Nothing to be bitter about, yet so many are, Denmark exceeded all expectations, especially after the horrendous incident.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
The gloating on this thread is cringeworthy. The CAF has always been my go place to place because the level of discussion was always more sophisticated than in most social media, but I guess I’ll put it on hold until normal United football is back on the menu.
Carry on.
Honestly surprised that we have this many passionate England fans. I always thought this forum was mostly made up of United fans that didn't give a shit about England.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
You're surprised a forum of an English football club has many passionate England fans?
Whenever England went out in previous tournaments you would get the usual 'oh well at least the United lads get some rest' posts. Not to mention all the references to the days when United players got all the blame for England's failure.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
I think every country should do more for asylum seekers. I think Denmark’s asylum and immigration politics are a disgrace.
Plus, they lost as many games as they won this Euros, and have been a right whiney bunch despite how their freekick was won with as much of a soft fall over as the pen.
So feck em.

I know many Danes aren’t like this, I go to Denmark at least twice a year and love it, some great great people too. But their current politics removes any sympathy from me for them as a nation, they are utterly disgraceful.
Denmark just doesn't want to emulate Sweden, that's it.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
So fans finding a silver lining in a disappointment had you thinking an English football club forum would have few passionate England fans?
I've just said I didn't know we this forum had many passionate England fans and I didn't join this forum yesterday. I've been posting on here for nearly 9 years and lurked for years before that. I didn't see much outrage when we went out in the groups in 2014 or when we went out to Iceland in 2016. Of course we have a lot of English posters but didn't think this many people cared much for the national team.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I said in the match build up thread that we should not take Denmark lightly. I had seen most of the games and been impressed by them, Maehle, Dolberg and Braithwaite especially.

Denmark scored a lot of goals during this tournament, and were one of the most pleasing sides to watch in it. Their transition play is rapid and capable of cutting opponents apart. Rice and Philips had moments were they looked like drill cones in the first half. However, despite Jordan Pickford being panicky at moments, England coped well for the most part. Then as the game went on, and fitness became a bigger factor, we really came into it.

For a relatively small nation Denmark has always been capable of producing really good players. I think their performances will ensure there's less arrogance about playing them. People will recognise that there's much more than Erikssen to this team.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Absolute rascal!

@rimaldo has a henna version and I've heard if England go all the way he's going to get it done permanently.
i do and so confident am i that we will completely destroy italy, i already have euro 2020 chanps tattooed underneath it.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I said in the match build up thread that we should not take Denmark lightly. I had seen most of the games and been impressed by them, Maehle, Dolberg and Braithwaite especially.

Denmark scored a lot of goals during this tournament, and were one of the most pleasing sides to watch in it. Their transition play is rapid and capable of cutting opponents apart. Rice and Philips had moments were they looked like drill cones in the first half. However, despite Jordan Pickford being panicky at moments, England coped well for the most part. Then as the game went on, and fitness became a bigger factor, we really came into it.

For a relatively small nation Denmark has always been capable of producing really good players. I think their performances will ensure there's less arrogance about playing them. People will recognise that there's much more than Erikssen to this team.
This was by far the poorest Denmark have played in the tournament, and all those key players who have had fantastic tournaments didn't really show up last night, except maybe the 3 CB's and Hojbjerg. Aside from a 15-20 minute spell in the first half, they didn't really offer much as an attacking force. They defended well, mind you but Maehle was surprisingly slow and lackluster, and really poor with his distribution and he struggled all game with one on one's.

As a team, yeah they'll be back. I think they can have a similar impact on the world cup next year with players like Damsgaard, Skov Olsen, Maehle etc having another year of experience under their belt. They'll most likely breeze through their qualifying group as the group winners, and they have some interesting young talents coming through.

Last edited:

padr81

Supports
Man City
I thought Denmark was the moderately better team in the first half. After 90 minutes England were the moderately better team.
After 120 England were clearly the better team. Sterling in particular was murdering us.

It wasn't our night. Hjulmand has used his subs very well till then in the tournament but they killed us last night. And then finishing the game with ten men. No chances of changing the game. Meanwhile England subbed on better players than the ones Southgate prefers to start and it showed.
Absolutely fair, I don't think there was any gap between the team till about the 75th to 80th minute when you guys started to tire. It was an even games that was won purely on squad depth, freshness and a soft peno. Nothing in it. You must be pretty psyched at the improvements you guys have been making, you've got from struggling with Ireland every qualifying campaign to a genuine top team.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
What's the lasting memory for Denmark in this tournament then?

Poulsen's goal against Belgium? That moment was loaded to the brim with emotion.
The Russia game? This game developed into a perfect night, exploded into a huge party and celebration in Copenhagen with Christensen's goal.
Dolberg's introduction. Battering Wales 4-0?
Damsgaard's brilliance at Wembley?

It would have to be one of the first two surely?

Rob

Supports
Liverpool

Poulsen's goal against Belgium? That moment was loaded to the brim with emotion.
The Russia game? This game developed into a perfect night, exploded into a huge party and celebration in Copenhagen with Christensen's goal.

The Russia game for me. I was in the stadium and it’s one of the greatest experiences I’ve ever had at a live match. After the Eriksen incident, losing to Belgium, seeing Russia score while at the same time hearing that Belgium’s goal had been disallowed, to the absolute scenes when it became clear we went through, and the partying in the streets afterwards.

Mike Smalling

The Russia game stands out for me. It was basically all or nothing of course, and there was plenty of drama with both the Russian penalty and the disallowed goal in the Belgium-Finland game. The team was great and was carried by an absolutely electric Parken. To go through in the end was so awesome after the Eriksen incident, UEFA being dicks and a really good, but ultimately fruitless performance against Belgium.

Watched the game in a bar in Copenhagen and the atmosphere was insane, as you can imagine. Especially after Damsgaard's opener and Christensen's rocket. Looking back it is probably a minor miracle I didn't get covid after hugging so many complete strangers all covered in sweat :lol:

But I will look back fondly at all games except for the first one. This has been the best tournament performance by Denmark in at least two decades, and certainly the best I can remember.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
How come they are so good? Are all of them playing in the Top leagues or something (mostly the PL and Bundesliga?) ?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
The Russia game for me. I was in the stadium and it’s one of the greatest experiences I’ve ever had at a live match. After the Eriksen incident, losing to Belgium, seeing Russia score while at the same time hearing that Belgium’s goal had been disallowed, to the absolute scenes when it became clear we went through, and the partying in the streets afterwards.
The Russia game stands out for me. It was basically all or nothing of course, and there was plenty of drama with both the Russian penalty and the disallowed goal in the Belgium-Finland game. The team was great and was carried by an absolutely electric Parken. To go through in the end was so awesome after the Eriksen incident, UEFA being dicks and a really good, but ultimately fruitless performance against Belgium.

Watched the game in a bar in Copenhagen and the atmosphere was insane, as you can imagine. Especially after Damsgaard's opener and Christensen's rocket. Looking back it is probably a minor miracle I didn't get covid after hugging so many complete strangers all covered in sweat :lol:

But I will look back fondly at all games except for the first one. This has been the best tournament performance by Denmark in at least two decades, and certainly the best I can remember.
I would pick that game too.

Watching it in another country, I could feel the emotional release that exploded when Christensen blasted it in. It felt like one of those where were you when this happened kind of a game. I doubt Parken will experience a game like that again in our lifetime.

I have a soft spot for the Poulsen goal vs Belgium. I happened to be facetiming with my mother when the game kicked off, and she was in literal tears as the goal went in. It felt like the team and the nation needed that game and that goal to try to work through their emotions.