Denmark - Euro 2021 Discussion

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Is Poulsen available to play against the Czechs? Any other players out?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Is Poulsen available to play against the Czechs? Any other players out?
Denmark should be at full strength again, after a full weeks recovery. Not sure Poulsen starts though, after Dolberg's heroics in his absence. Kjær looks to be OK too.

Mike Smalling

I'm wondering if Hjulmand might move away from three at the back and go back to 4-3-3 in order to win the midfield battle. The starting line-up could be:

Schmeichel
Wass - Christensen - Kjær - Mæhle
Højbjerg - Jensen - Delaney
Poulsen - Dolberg - Braithwaite
Alternatively, Damsgaard instead of Dolberg with Poulsen through the middle. In any case, it will be a really tough game - can't wait!

MU655

Meh. I thought the Czechs got through them quite easily. Attack them and they are not all that.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Loving the arrogance from English fans who already see themselves easy in the final with two games still to play to get there.

Hope it rubs off on the player's mentality.

Mike Smalling

Buzzing once again! Very much a different game against a much better side than the Welsh, and not least in very difficult conditions. It was clear that the heat and humidity played a big part in the game - the players looked exhausted quite early and the game got very stretched. Thankfully this team has both quality and fight in them, so we were able to pull out the win.

We will be big underdogs against a solid English side at home (most likely), but we will have chance. Hopefully they will underestimate us slightly. Just getting to a semi-final is massive though - one of the four best teams in Europe :D

Kjær, Vestergaard, Mæhle and Delaney immense today. Dolberg, Poulsen and Højbjerg also very good.

Jev

Buzzing once again! Very much a different game against a much better side than the Welsh, and not least in very difficult conditions. It was clear that the heat and humidity played a big part in the game - the players looked exhausted quite early and the game got very stretched. Thankfully this team has both quality and fight in them, so we were able to pull out the win.

We will be big underdogs against a solid English side at home (most likely), but we will have chance. Hopefully they will underestimate us slightly. Just getting to a semi-final is massive though - one of the four best teams in Europe :D

Kjær, Vestergaard, Mæhle and Delaney immense today. Dolberg, Poulsen and Højbjerg also very good.
Dolberg was great as well, very intelligent on the ball and a good goal. Will be a tough choice between him and Yussuf on Wednesday.

Thought we deserved it overall, had plenty of chances to score a third on the counter but weren't sharp enough, Braithwaite in particular had his worst game of the Euros.

We've shown incredible composure in these games. Against Russia and Wales, we struggled early on but kept calm, adjusted and found our footing. Today, we could easily have panicked after their storming start to the second half but we composed ourselves and saw the game out comfortably.

We have a decent chance against England. They're solid but unspectacular, so boring and conservative. Our football is much better and we could blow them away with our aggressiveness. They're favourites of course, but hardly frightening.

EDIT: I admit I timed that post a bit early.

Last edited:

Basso

Meh. I thought the Czechs got through them quite easily. Attack them and they are not all that.
You mentioned 7 times in the match thread it was not a corner for DK.
It hit the czech players hand mate.

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
I think England is going to struggle against Denmark, judging upon the games from NL

Ralaks

Tonights game has been the first that made me fear England, they have been shit otherwise

MU655

You mentioned 7 times in the match thread it was not a corner for DK.
It hit the czech players hand mate.
I don't remember seeing any hand in the replay. All I remember is a knee.

Anyway, shouldn't it have been a freekick if the linesman saw a handball? So, he must not have seen that either.

Mike Smalling

Anyway, shouldn't it have been a freekick if the linesman saw a handball? So, he must not have seen that either.

Also, let’s not pretend getting a corner that shouldn’t have been given is some huge advantage. Most of them lead to nothing.

Jev

Incidental handball, not a foul but still a touch.

And secondly, you're now arguing that because the linesman (possibly) didn't spot the actual touch (although he probably did seeing as he called a corner), that means the correct call is actually the wrong one?

MU655

Incidental handball, not a foul but still a touch.

And secondly, you're now arguing that because the linesman (possibly) didn't spot the actual touch (although he probably did seeing as he called a corner), that means the correct call is actually the wrong one?
They are always given as free kicks, though. It is irrelevant if it is accidental as shown by many times this tournament. So, he probably didn't see it touch the hand, otherwise, it would have been a freekick. That is why the linesman couldn't have seen it.

I still think corners should be checked by VAR, regardless. The ball is out of play and it should only take a second to do so. Corners usually take much longer to setup, anyway.

RoyH1

They are always given as free kicks, though. It is irrelevant if it is accidental as shown by many times this tournament. So, he probably didn't see it touch the hand, otherwise, it would have been a freekick. That is why the linesman couldn't have seen it.

I still think corners should be checked by VAR, regardless. The ball is out of play and it should only take a second to do so. Corners usually take much longer to setup, anyway.
Are you Czech? Or did a Danish girl spurn your advances at one point in your life? You seem to be heavily policing the threads, making sure that any positive comments about Denmark meet with abundant opposition (it wasnt a corner, VAR favours them, they’re lucky, they’re inflated by the media because of Eriksen etc etc).

We get it, you don’t like the Denmark team.

You’re in luck, their dream will probably end Wednesday night and you will be able to sleep soundly.

Jev

Are you Czech? Or did a Danish girl spurn your advances at one point in your life? You seem to be heavily policing the threads, making sure that any positive comments about Denmark meet with abundant opposition (it wasnt a corner, VAR favours them, they’re lucky, they’re inflated by the media because of Eriksen etc etc).

You’re in luck, their dream will probably end Wednesday night and you will be able to sleep soundly.
To be fair, after seeing proof that it was in fact a corner he corrected his argument to: Okay, so maybe it was a corner but because I suspect the linesman didn't see the slight touch that made it a corner, it was actually still the wrong decision. Or something. I'm actually not sure what his argument is anymore. VAR should be reviewing corners, which in this turn would have meant corner given. Or it should have been a free kick, which would only have made the situation more dangerous.

MU655

Umm, the guy replied to me. So, engage your brain a bit and figure out what happens next, perhaps? Get those rusty cogs moving; I know they haven't seen much use.

RoyH1

Umm, the guy replied to me. So, engage your brain a bit and figure out what happens next, perhaps? Get those rusty cogs moving; I know they haven't seen much use.
You just seem to be on a one man crusade all over the forum to cancel any feel good Danish talk. You’re doing the same as that BFernandes guy is doing with the England euphoria. I’m just saying, we get it. Don’t worry, late Wednesday evening you most probably get to gloat all you want.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Story book tournament for the Danes. Hope they can give England a good game, but don't see them advancing to the final. Even then, they can be proud.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Look to be flagging a bit now. Think you'll have 60min-75min or so to make an impact as England have conserved far more energy than you to reach the semis, will be fulled by the crowd and have the strongest bench in the tournament to really turn up the pressure in the last quarter of the 90.

Southgate values a strong finish and I wouldn't be surprised if he sets up with that in mind.

If Walker plays, I'm sure you'll be attempting to flood him as the weak link and Maehle's role really is a tricky one in this game: go after Walker whilst trying to simultaneously drag England's right flanker back and potentially leave wide open for the counter or play more conservatively?

Has the potential to be an explosive game, in the good sense of the word.

Jev

Look to be flagging a bit now. Think you'll have 60min-75min or so to make an impact as England have conserved far more energy than you to reach the semis, will be fulled by the crowd and have the strongest bench in the tournament to really turn up the pressure in the last quarter of the 90.

Southgate values a strong finish and I wouldn't be surprised if he sets up with that in mind.

If Walker plays, I'm sure you'll be attempting to flood him as the weak link and Maehle's role really is a tricky one in this game: go after Walker whilst trying to simultaneously drag England's right flanker back and potentially leave wide open for the counter or play more conservatively?

Has the potential to be an explosive game, in the good sense of the word.
Yeah, fatigue worries me a bit too although I wonder whether it was more to do with the heat in Baku than a cumulation of tiredness. We have spent a lot of mental ressources, though.

I think our bench is one of our assets too, actually. Pretty much at every position we have an almost equally good option on the bench. Obviously on a lower average level than England but that should make it easier for us to cope with tiredness.

Wayne's World

First proper team England will face and it's in the semi-finals (Germany played to England's strengths so not counting them at all)

Fancy them strongly with the organisation and how tactically spot on they have been so far.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Yeah, fatigue worries me a bit too although I wonder whether it was more to do with the heat in Baku than a cumulation of tiredness. We have spent a lot of mental ressources, though.

I think our bench is one of our assets too, actually. Pretty much at every position we have an almost equally good option on the bench. Obviously on a lower average level than England but that should make it easier for us to cope with tiredness.
Do you think you'll approach the game with the same attacking impetus you've had, or will the occasion make for a more cagey Denmark? Also, is it a 'respect the reputation' of player X or Y or just play as you usually would? I ask because your penchant to oppress with the wing-backs is perhaps the most risky and fatiguing thing you can do against England because of the pace and power they have to really make you guys work at rate that'll really test the remainder of your tank, also for it to be used as a ploy to Traveller you out before changing tact with fresh subs.

If you're confident in using your bench and there isn't that drop in quality one would expect to see, then it really could be a cagey game. There's a line of though that we'll line up in the same system as you and go man-for-man with the old switcheroo with fresh personnel (Grealish, Sancho, Rashford off the bench) being the real pivotal period in the game.

I have a concern about you guys on set pieces. Outside of Maguire, England are not particularly well equipped to handle aerial bombardment, and Pickford still makes me nervous.

padzilla

Hipster
You would have to say England are huge favourites for this game, in fact given the riches available to Gareth Southgate, anything less than winning the tournament will be a disappointment. That said, I expect Denmark to be able to give England a stern test for long periods of this game. To be honest, England strolling to the semis against inferior opposition might work in the Danes' favour given they will be more battle hardened from winning close fought games - I still expect an England Italy final though as much as I would love to see Denmark win it.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
They're the one team I almost wouldn't mind losing to in this tournament. I think they could find a way to make England sweat.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
First proper team England will face and it's in the semi-finals (Germany played to England's strengths so not counting them at all)

Fancy them strongly with the organisation and how tactically spot on they have been so far.
Not counting the Germans is a bit unfair on England. Sure they arent that good now, but they're not a nothing opponent like Ukraine. They showed that when they annihilated Portugal.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I think England is going to struggle against Denmark, judging upon the games from NL
Before last night, I wasn't that confident about going against Denmark. We seemed to be doing just enough to get by, which is an admirable trait in itself during a tournament, but Denmark had started blowing teams away. We seemed to have found something though and Kane is back among the goals. I'm buzzing with confidence going into this game now.

Both teams are riding a huge wave of momentum but there many factors that favour us I think aside from the fact that we have the better team (though the gap isn't as big as some might say) - Denmark just had to play a game on the border of Asia in the sweltering heat, and no Danish fans being allowed to travel to London is a big minus for you, though there are probably thousands of Danes living in the UK so perhaps some of them will grab a sizeable allocation.

Denmark are one of the top scorers in the tournament going up against the best defense by some distance.

Last edited:

Jev

Do you think you'll approach the game with the same attacking impetus you've had, or will the occasion make for a more cagey Denmark? Also, is it a 'respect the reputation' of player X or Y or just play as you usually would? I ask because your penchant to oppress with the wing-backs is perhaps the most risky and fatiguing thing you can do against England because of the pace and power they have to really make you guys work at rate that'll really test the remainder of your tank, also for it to be used as a ploy to Traveller you out before changing tact with fresh subs.

If you're confident in using your bench and there isn't that drop in quality one would expect to see, then it really could be a cagey game. There's a line of though that we'll line up in the same system as you and go man-for-man with the old switcheroo with fresh personnel (Grealish, Sancho, Rashford off the bench) being the real pivotal period in the game.

I have a concern about you guys on set pieces. Outside of Maguire, England are not particularly well equipped to handle aerial bombardment, and Pickford still makes me nervous.
I don't think our intention will be to be more cautious, though the quality England have in attack could make it appear so. I imagine we'll try to be right in Kane's heels all game, trying to mark him out of the game and prevent him from coming deep and making an impact. The wing-backs will still be bombing forward because, simply, Mæhle can't help it, and besides we can't really create chances with the 3-5-2 without attacking wing-backs. They've created so many of our chances. Stryger Larsen might be slightly less attacking on the right because stopping Sterling will be a key priority. We've been rotating the right-backs so there should be energy left in the tank, and Mæhle is a machine who was sprinting up and down the pitch celebrating after the Wales game. I doubt he'll run tired.

Irwin99

I know he's not very well liked but I've always thought Højbjerg was a decent player and he's having a good tournament. His first half of last season for Spurs was excellent (awful second half from the games I saw though).

Denmark winning the tournament would be pretty cool I have to admit; would be the biggest shock winner since Greece in 2004.

Giggs86

Gonna end with a draw and Schmeichel Junior will be the hero of the penalty shoutout.