Denmark - Euro 2021 Discussion

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Denmark was playing at home to Wales? Wow.
When 95%+ of the crowd are either Danes or supporting Denmark and Wales fans aren't even allowed in the country unless they're already living there? Yes.

Raredaredevil

When 95%+ of the crowd are either Danes or supporting Denmark and Wales fans aren't even allowed in the country unless they're already living there? Yes.
I thought they were in Copenhagen. But yes Denmark is definitely every neutral's favourite team with what happened with Eriksen. Everyone loved a good redemption football fairytale story.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Two games with 4 goals scored, in the quarter finals. What a fantastic ride this is turning out to be.

After the heartbreak of the first game, I can't imagine any team could have enjoyed the football more than we've got to. Even the defeat to Belgium was great to watch.

Lyng

I think its fair to say the ref didnt have a great game and the red was too harsh. That having been said, Denmark absolutely played Wales out of the park.
This match also clearly shows how much a manager matters. That little tweak Hjulmand did 20 mins into the match stopped Wales completely and the welsh manager had no answer.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The recovery has been superb. If Dolberg can find a purple patch of form, this team looks quite formidable to anyone. Seeing as though there is a week to prepare for the quarter final, I hope whatever knocks Delaney and Kjær picked up are resolved and there is a full strength side to pick from.

Jacob

Said it before the tournament, they're the dark horse to win it (or at very least progress far).

I said the same about Scotland though.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I can only imagine the reaction from a select few posters if the Caf had been around back then :lol:

What an awful rule - good riddance.
Fantastic shithousery though. Flemming Povlsen booting it back to Schmeichel from the halfway line was a sight to be hold :lol:

Good rule change for sure. Apart from offside, I can't think of a rule that changed the game so dramatically for the better.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Interesting a few are saying this is best side since Danish Dynamite elsewhere.

Wouldn't go far that yet given what 92-98 achieved. Very unlucky in that world cup to get Brazil in quarters as you could've easily done a Croatia with kinder world cup draw. Then you just did a Sweden at euro 2000 taking too many old players who were a tournament past their best.

Teams in the 2000s were good aswell and regularly got to knock out stages.

Feels like it's a perfect blend of youth and experience in this team and fancy you to take out Holland if they get through.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Wouldn't go far that yet given what 92-98 achieved. Very unlucky in that world cup to get Brazil in quarters as you could've easily done a Croatia with kinder world cup draw. Then you just did a Sweden at euro 2000 taking too many old players who were a tournament past their best.

Feels like it's a perfect blend of youth and experience in this team and fancy you to take out Holland if they get through.
It's a well balanced team, for sure. Looking at the other team on this side of the bracket, there isn't really a team Denmark should be really fearful of, despite being the clear underdog against some of those teams.

The team in 80's is obviously the gold standard in Danish history, it would be nigh on impossible to reach those heights, but Denmark have consistently produced good teams for the last 40 years. The Schmeichel/Laudrup brothers era in the 90's, the Jon Dahl Tomasson era in 2000's and then current Eriksen era.

If Eriksen had one other player at his level, Denmark could probably have been a contender for these tournaments in the last 10 years because they have always managed to produce really decent, structurally well balanced and technically sound teams that have always just lacked that extra bit quality required to beat the top nations.

Last edited:

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

It’s difficult to say this team is better than the 98 team when at the time they still had Schmeichel, the Laudrup Brothers, if I am not wrong Helveg and Ebbe Sand were also good for them, don’t remember if Martin Laursen or Gravesen were part of that team also. Anyway for me the 98 team was better than the 92 team.

For the future I am quite optimistic about them, they have been producing better players over the last years, their under 21 teams play great football, then you have a lot of clubs in Europe who have excellent scouting networks who are bringing them to better leagues without necessarily having to jump directly from Denmark to the Premier League.

We will be hearing about them for the next years, and this time post Morten Olsen I think they found the correct coach for the NT, the change he did after 20 minutes was great, remembered me last week Portugal being smashed by the German wingbacks and Santos sleeping on the bench.

Jesus like @WeePat mentioned they had Tomasson also, forgot that, the 98 team actually was very good, problem was that France 98 WC had a lot of teams with a lot of world class players.

Last edited:

MU655

The next game is going to be the first time they won't have a stadium full of fans in this tournament. I wonder how much that will impact them.

Also, higher temperatures and travel times to consider.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
It's a well balanced team, for sure. Looking at the other team on this side of the bracket, there isn't really a team Denmark should be really fearful of, despite being the clear underdog against some of those teams.
I have a hard time seeing us get past France or Germany. They have too much quality in all banks. Defensively they are good enough to cut out the margins that our attackers will need and punish us with the margins our defenders will leave. We'll need a lot of luck to get beat them.

I fancy our chances in the quarters against Netherlands or Czech though. Getting to the semi finals would be amazing.

Mike Smalling

I have a hard time seeing us get past France or Germany. They have too much quality in all banks. Defensively they are good enough to cut out the margins that our attackers will need and punish us with the margins our defenders will leave. We'll need a lot of luck to get beat them.

I fancy our chances in the quarters against Netherlands or Czech though. Getting to the semi finals would be amazing.
Didn't we just get a draw against Germany in the warm-up games? I know it was a friendly, but as I recall they put out a decent side.

I fancy our chances against Holland, England and Germany. We will be underdogs, but we usually manage to keep these kinds of games tight, so with a bit of luck we could win - especially if we manage to score first. I would worry that a top quality defense would nullify our forwards fairly easy, though, and we have had a tendency to give away a few sloppy counter-attacking opportunities in each game. More clinical sides than Russia or Wales will punish this.

I would say that the team has already lived up to expectations and given us some fantastic performances, so everything from here I will consider a bonus. It's hard not to be optimistic for the future as well - we will surely see the side in the WC with few changes. Obviously Eriksen will likely be missing, but I think Kjær is the only other player who may consider retirement from the national team after this. Seeing as there is only 1.5 years until Qatar he will hopefully stick around.

francobaresi

Can definitely see this side making the final. Whether they will win it, I'm not so sure...

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Didn't we just get a draw against Germany in the warm-up games? I know it was a friendly, but as I recall they put out a decent side.

I fancy our chances against Holland, England and Germany. We will be underdogs, but we usually manage to keep these kinds of games tight, so with a bit of luck we could win - especially if we manage to score first. I would worry that a top quality defense would nullify our forwards fairly easy, though, and we have had a tendency to give away a few sloppy counter-attacking opportunities in each game. More clinical sides than Russia or Wales will punish this.

I would say that the team has already lived up to expectations and given us some fantastic performances, so everything from here I will consider a bonus. It's hard not to be optimistic for the future as well - we will surely see the side in the WC with few changes. Obviously Eriksen will likely be missing, but I think Kjær is the only other player who may consider retirement from the national team after this. Seeing as there is only 1.5 years until Qatar he will hopefully stick around.
Absolutely. Those two games have been amazing.

Hester_manc

Did you know?

Martin Braithwaite - spend 2 years in a wheelchair, when he was a child. Now he plays for Barcelona. He is also very Christian and often reads the Bible

Jannik Vestergaard - tall central defender from Southampton is equally good with both legs. His father was a pianist, where one must use both hands equally well. Therefore, he wanted Jannik to use both legs equally when training football together.

Mikkel Damsgaard - is the youngest Dane to have scored in a final round ever.

Kasper Schmeichel - met his wife in a seven-eleven when he was 17 years old. I guess they have everything in seven-eleven.

Simon Kjær - When Simon Kjær was a youth player, he went on trial at Real Madrid. Madrid wanted to buy him, but Fc Midtjylland turned down their offer.

Kasper Dolberg - Dolberg's brother is a professional handball player.

Pierre Emil-Højberg and Yussef Poulen - played on the same team in a small club, Skjold, since they were 8 years old.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It’s difficult to say this team is better than the 98 team when at the time they still had Schmeichel, the Laudrup Brothers, if I am not wrong Helveg and Ebbe Sand were also good for them, don’t remember if Martin Laursen or Gravesen were part of that team also. Anyway for me the 98 team was better than the 92 team.

For the future I am quite optimistic about them, they have been producing better players over the last years, their under 21 teams play great football, then you have a lot of clubs in Europe who have excellent scouting networks who are bringing them to better leagues without necessarily having to jump directly from Denmark to the Premier League.

We will be hearing about them for the next years, and this time post Morten Olsen I think they found the correct coach for the NT, the change he did after 20 minutes was great, remembered me last week Portugal being smashed by the German wingbacks and Santos sleeping on the bench.

Jesus like @WeePat mentioned they had Tomasson also, forgot that, the 98 team actually was very good, problem was that France 98 WC had a lot of teams with a lot of world class players.
Tomasson had a really bad season at Newcastle so don't think he made France 98, not sure if euros or world cup 2002 was his first tournament. Dennis Rommedahl was another in those times who looked very effective as counter attacking player for them but wasn't that good when he turned up in premier league for Charlton.

Shame Laursen was injured so much, think he only played euro 2004 for them.

One thing they've always been good at compared to Sweden is trusting very young players to play, Eriksen was in at 18 and Damsgaard now rather than more experienced midfielder.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Tomasson had a really bad season at Newcastle so don't think he made France 98, not sure if euros or world cup 2002 was his first tournament. Dennis Rommedahl was another in those times who looked very effective as counter attacking player for them but wasn't that good when he turned up in premier league for Charlton.
Rommedahl was never all that, but he scored some important goals. Gronkjaer was our main wide man.

In the modern game he'd have been a wingback and I reckon a good one.

Mike Smalling

Rommedahl was never all that, but he scored some important goals. Gronkjaer was our main wide man.

The fact that Rommedahl is our most capped outfield player is bewildering given his performances in latter part of his international career. Maybe Kjær can claim that spot in the next couple of years.

ROFLUTION

The next game is going to be the first time they won't have a stadium full of fans in this tournament. I wonder how much that will impact them.

Also, higher temperatures and travel times to consider.
hmm, there's a week until the game in Baku, so I don't know if travelling time is an issue

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Sorensen was a decent keeper too, after Schmeichel was done. Laursen was really an excellent CB. Gravesen was a solid PL player. Jan Heintze was a serial champion with PSV, Martin Jorgensen was one my favourite players back then and of course Tomasson up front. That early to mid 2000's team was pretty decent.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Both the BBC and ITV are doing a huge disservice to Denmark by attributing anything good the team does to 'surfing the waves of emotion of the Eriksen incident'.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Both the BBC and ITV are doing a huge disservice to Denmark by attributing anything good the team does to 'surfing the waves of emotion of the Eriksen incident'.
Ah you know the media likes a emotional narrative. With that said the stuff with Eriksen had a impact on the team. But their quality has nothing to do with that.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Ah you know the media likes a emotional narrative. With that said the stuff with Eriksen had a impact on the team. But their quality has nothing to do with that.
Yeah the Belgium game especially, you could tell the players were full of emotion, and I'm sure what happened with Eriksen is a factor but it just kind of grates on me that the analysis almost always boils the performances down to 'emotion, Eriksen, momentum, emotion'. They're a quality team with a quality coach, but that seems to get completely lost in the narrative.

United in sin

This tournament is almost 30 years from Denmark's surprise win at Euro 92. Can they do it again? What a story that would be

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Yeah the Belgium game especially, you could tell the players were full of emotion, and I'm sure what happened with Eriksen is a factor but it just kind of grates on me that the analysis almost always boils the performances down to 'emotion, Eriksen, momentum, emotion'. They're a quality team with a quality coach, but that seems to get completely lost in the narrative.
You know the media loves emotional stories, heroes and villains. Far from being a English thing if we can say that.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
You know the media loves emotional stories, heroes and villains. Far from being a English thing if we can say that.
Yeah it's always the stories and narratives around the game that they want to focus on. Not the actual game.

slored1

Threw 5 euros on them to win it all. Have a strange feeling they might do it. Don't know why.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
A quarter final against Czech.

A possible semi final against one of England, Sweden or Ukraine.

A path to the final looks a lot more doable than I'd have dared to imagine at the outset.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
A quarter final against Czech.

A possible semi final against one of England, Sweden or Ukraine.

A path to the final looks a lot more doable than I'd have dared to imagine at the outset.
Denmark are the second best team out of the remaining teams on this side of the bracket. I don't think there's a single team left in the tournament that they can't be confident of beating.

Mike Smalling

Not going to speculate too much on our chances to go all the way, but it has certainly been a long time, since we have had this great of an opportunity to do something in a major tournament. Most of the favorites are struggling in one way or another, we have just the right mix of experience and new exciting talent and we have great momentum.

First we have to get past the Czezh Republic though, and I have a bad feeling that they might be the last stop for us. They have many of the same qualities as ourselves - just as motivated, well-organized and cohesive. We are favorites like against Wales, but the Czech Republic are a much better side.

RoyH1

Not going to speculate too much on our chances to go all the way, but it has certainly been a long time, since we have had this great of an opportunity to do something in a major tournament. Most of the favorites are struggling in one way or another, we have just the right mix of experience and new exciting talent and we have great momentum.

First we have to get past the Czezh Republic though, and I have a bad feeling that they might be the last stop for us. They have many of the same qualities as ourselves - just as motivated, well-organized and cohesive. We are favorites like against Wales, but the Czech Republic are a much better side.
yeah, the Czech's are tough, tough matchup for Denmark. Would have preferred Holland to be honest, would have made for a more open football game that plays to Denmark's strengths. I hope Hjulmand has a good gameplan for that.

If they make the semi's, it would be a fantastic achievement, regardless of the opposition.

izec

They will have good chances against England and whoever they might face in the final. They played well against Belgium, so i think anything is possible even against the big boys

Mike Smalling

yeah, the Czech's are tough, tough matchup for Denmark. Would have preferred Holland to be honest, would have made for a more open football game that plays to Denmark's strengths. I hope Hjulmand has a good gameplan for that.

If they make the semi's, it would be a fantastic achievement, regardless of the opposition.
That is an aspect that give me a lot of optimism actually. I think Hjulmand has shown himself to be a great coach, so I don't doubt that he will come up with a good setup in the next game as well. His swift tactical adjustment vs. Wales and how well we were set up against Belgium really impressed me. Our tactical flexibility has been a great strength.

Ralaks

It kind of suprised me how good he has been. I know the failure at Mainz had other issues as well, but to perform so well now!

I am always optimistic when we play and believe we can beat anyone, but this tournament especially we are in with a shout.

And the future looks bright too, lost on pens against the Germans (ended up champions) after having the best chances during the game at the u21 euros too.

Just gotta keep Hjulmand and the 202X could be a fantastic time to follow the team :)

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

That is an aspect that give me a lot of optimism actually. I think Hjulmand has shown himself to be a great coach, so I don't doubt that he will come up with a good setup in the next game as well. His swift tactical adjustment vs. Wales and how well we were set up against Belgium really impressed me. Our tactical flexibility has been a great strength.
I agree with you both. Hjulmand is Denmark's ace up the sleeve. It didn't quite work out for him at Mainz but just the fact that they had identified him as the man to replace Tuchel and continue the work Klopp and Tuchel had done at that club tells us something.

Denmark's results over the last 12 months show they really deserve their top 10 world ranking. I remember watching them completely dismantle Austria 4-0 away thinking this team is something quite special. They have moved up a couple of levels from where they were a couple of years ago both in terms of talent they can call upon and the coaching.

There are no easy games at this level, but Denmark have never had a better opportunity to go all the way to the final in my lifetime.

Last edited: