Denmark - Euro 2021 Discussion

Robaldo

Mæhle was an absolute joy to watch; it was one of the best full back performances I've seen in a long time and that's regardless of the goal.

Mike Smalling

No matter what happens now this is already the most memorable major tournament for Denmark since 98.
Yeah, I would tend to agree. In 2002 we did win a group with France, Uruguay and Senegal quite convincingly, but were then dumped out by England without much of a fight. If I'm not mistaken 1998 was also the last time we won a knock-out game in a major tournament - would be a good time to break that streak!

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I haven't seen many teams play with such exuberance as I saw with Denmark last night. Really impressed.

Mickson

Denmark's group, home games, and their potential opponents in the last 32 and 16 must be some kind of record. Has any team been luckier? Finland, Russia, Belgium and all at home, and then, second in the group on three points, they meet...Wales, who finished second in their group. And then potentially Holland which probably is one of the poorer big teams in the tournament. Incredibly really.

Basso

Denmark's group, home games, and their potential opponents in the last 32 and 16 must be some kind of record. Has any team been luckier? Finland, Russia, Belgium and all at home, and then, second in the group on three points, they meet...Wales, who finished second in their group. And then potentially Holland which probably is one of the poorer big teams in the tournament. Incredibly really.
"Luckier" What are you on about. All of Denmark just saw their best player almost die on the pitch and he will never play for DK again. Under normal circumstances, they would advance in this group anywhere in Europe. Lost to 1 team in the past 5 years before the Finland match and that is Belgium.

I would argue Holland had a much "luckier draw" since they were well below DK in the rankings going into the tournament.
Also, Holland is due to play 3rd place team from Group F unless Portugal loses with 3 goals tomorrow.
So I reckon Holland is out on Monday the 28th.

Mike Smalling

There is a team in every single group playing all their games at home with several others having two home games. It was only the Russia game that involved a draw between Copenhagen and St. Petersburg. Russia was certainly the weakest team in Pot 2, but Belgium tops the world rankings and have beaten us twice in the last year. Regarding the knock-out draw there are quite a few 'weaker' teams making it through. Is Wales really any easier than Austria, Ukraine, Czech Republic, Slovakia or Sweden who all look likely to make it through? I don't think so. And Holland are one of three teams to win all their groups games.

The group draw was kind, and it was a big advantage to play Russia at home, but it's certainly not the all-time great lucky series of events you make it out to be. And our luck on the pitch has been terrible - even yesterday the ref was close to swinging the game in Russia's favor with terrible decisions.

Basso

Yesterday it was Russia´s first away match in a major championship after 7 straight home matches (2018 & 2021).
I found it ridiculous they got the offer to host again. Should only have only been hosted by smaller football countries. Switch out Spain, England, Germany, Italy and Russia with the likes of Wales, Sweden, Finland or Turkey.

Mickson

There is a team in every single group playing all their games at home with several others having two home games. It was only the Russia game that involved a draw between Copenhagen and St. Petersburg. Russia was certainly the weakest team in Pot 2, but Belgium tops the world rankings and have beaten us twice in the last year. Regarding the knock-out draw there are quite a few 'weaker' teams making it through. Is Wales really any easier than Austria, Ukraine, Czech Republic, Slovakia or Sweden who all look likely to make it through? I don't think so. And Holland are one of three teams to win all their groups games.

The group draw was kind, and it was a big advantage to play Russia at home, but it's certainly not the all-time great lucky series of events you make it out to be. And our luck on the pitch has been terrible - even yesterday the ref was close to swinging the game in Russia's favor with terrible decisions.
Yes, it is. Holland is certainly one of the weaker (the weakest) I would say from the top nations: England, France, Germany etc. Didn't even qualify for the WC 2018, got beat by Sweden (who you think is on the same level as Wales...) if you look at Denmark's easy qualifier

"Luckier" What are you on about. All of Denmark just saw their best player almost die on the pitch and he will never play for DK again. Under normal circumstances, they would advance in this group anywhere in Europe. Lost to 1 team in the past 5 years before the Finland match and that is Belgium.

I would argue Holland had a much "luckier draw" since they were well below DK in the rankings going into the tournament.
Also, Holland is due to play 3rd place team from Group F unless Portugal loses with 3 goals tomorrow.
So I reckon Holland is out on Monday the 28th.
Pathetic to bring up Eriksen. I was talking about the teams in their group and their opponents. They finished second in the easiest group ffs and still manage to meet Wales and then possibly Holland. At least Holand won their group and deserve to get an easier opponent. Also, Holland hasn't been so lucky in all their qualifier. Didn't even qualify for the WC 2018 because they had both France and Sweden (tough draw).

Basso

Yes, it is. Holland is certainly one of the weaker (the weakest) I would say from the top nations: England, France, Germany etc. Didn't even qualify for the WC 2018, got beat by Sweden (who you think is on the same level as Wales...) if you look at Denmark's easy qualifier

Pathetic to bring up Eriksen. I was talking about the teams in their group and their opponents. They finished second in the easiest group ffs and still manage to meet Wales and then possibly Holland. At least Holand won their group and deserve to get an easier opponent. Also, Holland hasn't been so lucky in all their qualifier. Didn't even qualify for the WC 2018 because they had both France and Sweden (tough draw).
Holland is getting an easier opponent. Number 3 from another group:) Winning at home to Austria, Ukraine and N Macedonia is not all that. Denmark just beat Austria away in World Cup qual in march with 4-0. They are nothing mate.

Siviz

Supports
Swansea
Denmark has certainly been lucky, let's not kid ourselves. Arguing semantics about whether they're "very lucky" or "all-time lucky" seems meaningless.

That being said, one might argue that they've "earned" their luck (insofar as luck can ever be earned...). They've played well enough, certainly better than their results suggest, and quite frankly dominated not just Finland and Russia but also Belgium, putting up 21 shots to Belgium's 6. That's more shots than England has had in total so far, mind you, while also posting an xG twice as high as that of Belgium's.

So, Denmark has been unlucky in their games and lucky in their draws. Seems fair enough, all things considered.

justsomebloke

I think of all the teams outside the big 8, they are maybe the only ones who've shown some real capacity to be a threat. And what a trajectory they're on - from the Eriksen incident and losing at home to the weakest team in the tournament in the opening game, to dominating the game against Belgium, to blowing away Russia. I wasn't convinced after the Belgium game in part because it highlighted their challenges in converting, but I'm convinced now. Two consecutive games like that, that's championship form.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Denmark's group, home games, and their potential opponents in the last 32 and 16 must be some kind of record. Has any team been luckier?
England in 2018 WC.

Panama and Tunisia to qualify to Knock-out stage seems easier than Finland and Russia.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Holland got France and Sweden in the same group for WC 2018.

Last time England got a competitive team in their qualifiers group they missed the tournament (Euro 2008).

Mike Smalling

They finished second in the easiest group ffs and still manage to meet Wales and then possibly Holland. At least Holand won their group and deserve to get an easier opponent. Also, Holland hasn't been so lucky in all their qualifier. Didn't even qualify for the WC 2018 because they had both France and Sweden (tough draw).
If Holland are so bad, surely the easiest group would be Group C (Holland, Ukraine, Austria, Macedonia)? Also, most second placed teams will meet another second placed team - it is not some miracle. I would certainly be just as happy getting Slovakia, Austria or Sweden, as I am that we got Wales. Wales are also higher ranked than all those teams. Not a perfect indication of their relative levels, but also not random. They have done quite well recently and have dangerous players. It will be a tight game.

francobaresi

Damsgard is feckin fantastic. Literally never heard of him before this tournament.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Damsgard is feckin fantastic. Literally never heard of him before this tournament.
He was playing in the Danish league until 12 months ago, so that would probably be why. Great little gem. I hope he continues to develop under the radar. For such a young guy, he's handled the pressures of being Eriksen's replacement superbly well.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Who really cares who is lucky and who is luckier. I would back Denmark to qualify out of most groups in this tournament under normal circumstances.

Denis79

Fantastic team to watch! Man I'm starting to root for them.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Kasper Hjulmand is an amazing coach. Hopefully the bigger clubs remain unaware of him and leave him be.

RoyH1

Kasper Hjulmand is an amazing coach. Hopefully the bigger clubs remain unaware of him and leave him be.
I don't think they'll remain unaware of him, but I cannot see him leaving the Danish national team before the next WC. Specially after all that has happened in the squad the last fortnite

Irwin99

I wonder how far they can go and how much more they could have done with Eriksen in the team. They look a well coached side.

Giggs' right foot

I don't think they'll remain unaware of him, but I cannot see him leaving the Danish national team before the next WC. Specially after all that has happened in the squad the last fortnite
For the love of God, don’t spell fortnight like that.

TheReligion

Abusive
They have done well after the first game circumstances and defeat. They are a solid team and could be another Greece in the offing..

Didn't like the excessive celebration after the VAR check on the 4th goal. Very shitty and disrespectful given you're already through and in additional, additional time.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I had them and Swiss as the underdogs (basically expected the 2 to face each other in this game) who'd reach the furthest and was expecting a QF finish. But watching this team today, I really wouldn't be surprised to see them beat Netherlands in next round and should it be anyone bar Germany in Semis, they would fancy themselves in that game as well.

It was a comfortable win today against a decent Welsh side. They should have gotten something against Belgium as well, and had the circumstances been different, they would have won vs Finland as well. Damsgaard, Maehle have been fantastic for the last few games and I'd be surprised if they aren't linked to bigger clubs after this tournament

Mike Smalling

Great job by the team. We showed that we are a class above Wales and delivered when we were favorites. It is worrying that Delaney, Kjær, Wass and Stryger Larsen seem to have niggling injuries, but thankfully there is a full week until next game - hopefully they will be fine.

Mæhle is a very serious contender for team of the season. Two goals from wingback and heavily involved in a couple of other goals. He seems to be in insane condition, so it is no surprise he has scored late in games twice.

Another player that needs a shoutout is Højbjerg. Such a good all-around midfielder. Wins the ball, dictates the play and breaks the line with runs and passes. I think he has three assists as well so far.

Jev

They have done well after the first game circumstances and defeat. They are a solid team and could be another Greece in the offing..

Didn't like the excessive celebration after the VAR check on the 4th goal. Very shitty and disrespectful given you're already through and in additional, additional time.
Wales were classless and petulant, committing dangerous fouls when everyone knew the game was over. They got what they deserved.

Ralaks

Wales have been kicking us all game, we can celebrate all we want. So many petulant fouls. Way more disrespectful.

'we are out, lets kick them so they might get injured and split a flight home'

Nick7

God forbid they celebrate a goal after the linesman got the offside incorrect.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Congratulations Denmark. When Wales lost to Brazil in ‘58, they won the World Cup. Same with Portugal in the Euros in 2016. I see a pattern...