Depay vs Firmino

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Interested in seeing who has the bigger impact the coming season.

A similar amount spent by us and Liverpool on the two players, with Depay being more hyped and Firmino seemingly more proven being around for longer as he's older.

We'll compare them during the season, but for those who have actually seen the two play, who has got the better deal?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It will be interesting, although this will not be a megathread that gets perpetually bumped.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
I think this season possibly Firmino.

I think Depay comes to us as a talented youngster who will need a season or two to become consistent.

Firmino seems like the more established player at this stage of their respective careers.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I'd never heard of Firmino up until a week or so ago when we were linked with him, but I assume he'll be afforded more game time than Memphis this season unless the latter really hits the ground running.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
I've no idea, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Is this going to be like the Di Maria vs Sanchez thread last year? :wenger:

amolbhatia50k

I think this season possibly Firmino.

I think Depay comes to us as a talented youngster who will need a season or two to become consistent.

Firmino seems like the more established player at this stage of their respective careers.
Personally I'm hoping we've signed the guy with more potential. Immediate impact is not everything given Depay is only 21.

Truedevil

Depay is going to be the better player but next season he might not even be a starter at the beginning whereas Firmino will possibly play every game he's avaliable.

amolbhatia50k

I've barely seen any of the two but both look good from the clips I've seen.

Depay looks the more direct and individually dangerous one whereas Firmino more the team player. Would I be wrong in saying that? Saw some performances of the latter and he didn't seem to have the flair of Depay but his link up play and energy looked better. Mind you, I do mentioned CLIPS so there's that :lol:

amolbhatia50k

I wouldn't mind if januzaj trumps both of them next season btw.

Anderson18

I simply can't see Firmino making a huge impact, if he doesn't get turned into a striker. Coutinho is a better n.10 and they have so much competition for that job ... They bought Milner, last year Lallana and still have no true wide players.

Liverpool needed a guy like Depay much more and I think we got the much better deal with him. Firmino is good, but I think he choose the wrong club. City would've been perfect for him tbh.

amolbhatia50k

I simply can't see Firmino making a huge impact, if he doesn't get turned into a striker. Coutinho is a better n.10 and they have so much competition for that job ... They bought Milner, last year Lallana and still have no true wide players.

Liverpool needed a guy like Depay much more and I think we got the much better deal with him. Firmino is good, but I think he choose the wrong club. City would've been perfect for him tbh.
If city lose sterling than they're obviously worse off with him. I don't know much about Firmino but I doubt he has the potential sterling has.

amolbhatia50k

Also, he's gone to the right club IMO. He wouldn't get a game for city. They're setting their sights higher and going for sterling.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Mostly seen Firmino when watching Bundesliga highlights, can't remember when I last watched a full Hoffenheim match.

Seen quite a lot of Memphis over the years since we're from the same country.

Conclusion: I have no idea. Firmino being slightly better at the moment/more ready to perform at PL-level is probably correct. But when Memphis has a good day, he really is a great player despite being still raw and young.

If the mentioned fee of 27.5 - 32 million Euro still stands after the window opens, we have extremely good value on Memphis. Considering I don't think Firmino has more talent than him, I'd say for the long run/next five years we've made a slightly better deal.

What happened in the Di Maria vs. Sanchez thread by the way?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
How much did we end up paying for Depay? I've read anything from 20m to around 25m?

Anyway, on topic, I think both teams got players who will suit them - I wasn't too keen on Firmino because iirc, his best position is at #10 and we have plenty of those.

We needed a direct threat from out wide, and we got that in Depay. I do think Firmino will settle in faster but I think their stats will be simply by season end.

Beyond that I don't know, but IMO, Depay is a more exciting signing. Higher risk of course, but he has a higher ceiling as well IMO. Firmino's style seems a bit like a "Kaka-lite". But I might be wrong as like you amol, I've seen very little of Depay, and even less of Firmino.

amolbhatia50k

The one game I've seen Depay live, he seemed to try a lot, individually. Seemed like someone who might frustrate a lot of people in the beginning of his time here. But seems ballsy enough, which you need as a flair player when you're at a huge club.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
In the short term (1-2 seasons), Firmino IMO. The Bundesliga is much better in terms of quality than the Eredvisie on a weekly basis, and he has been one of the best offensive players in the league for about 2 seasons now, going against the likes of Bayern and Dortmund and Wolfsburg and Monchengladbach. One might counter-argue that by calling Memphis the best player from Eredivisie last season bar none. But he probably won't be as prepared as Firmino through the adjustment period in terms of adapting to better opponents on a consistent basis. And although Firmino is by no means the final product, he might prove to be more consistent at first because his overall play does have more polish to it because of his greater experience, age and even physical maturity. So he can pretty much be a day one starter, link-up with Coutinho, and perform at a good level whereas Memphis is likely to have his ups and downs and will be eased gently into the team according to Van Gaal (so less opportunities to shine).

Medium to long term, I think Memphis will prove to be the better signing because he's simply the more gifted and focused individual, and is arguably one of the 3 most talented young (U-21 sorta) offensive players in Europe - particularly when you consider his year-to-year developmental jump. He will have to pay his dues at first; the gulf in not just quality, but pace and physicality and endurance between the Eredivisie and Premier League is significant. He might be buff, but the league does take its toll on young players. But what bodes well for the future is his well documented determination to be one of he best, and his an insane Ronaldo-lite type of work ethic. Wouldn't be surprised if he becomes one of the absolute top players in the league or even Europe once he finds his groove. With Firmino I'm much more cautious. He has the potential to be a very productive player, but he most likely won't be one of the top top players around (like ever).

saivet

I can't even claim to have a clue in all honesty.

My gut feeling is that they will both prove to be good players for their clubs without looking particularly special but Firmino will have more of an impact to Liverpool than Depay will have on United.

Dr Baltar

I've only seen about 5 minutes of both players so I have no idea at all. Regardless of that I'm going to nail my colours to the mast & say that Firminio will be a complete flop & will be playing back in Brazil within three years.

Anderson18

If city lose sterling than they're obviously worse off with him. I don't know much about Firmino but I doubt he has the potential sterling has.
Sterling can play wide and is very effective there. If they get De Bruyne, I'm definitely agreeing with you that he would warm the bench for them, but as of right now, even + Sterling I would see him starting for them

Aguero
Silva - Firmino - Sterling
That looks very good on paper and Firmino would run enough through the middle to make up for Yaya's laziness in the last year. Firmino is a great player but it seems to me that you guys overrate him based on his great 2013/14 season stats. Good player last season but nothing special. Do you think that Liverpool would've gotten him that easy if he was really that good? I watch Bundesliga regulary and know many guys who do aswell and nobody could understand how you pay that much for him. Maybe I'll be proven wrong but I think he'll play out of position for a majority of the games and will end up as a flop a la Kagawa.

Macern

Pee pee pants
I have watched both players quite a bit and I'm surprised to see that most believe that Firmino is better than Depay atm. Depay has a very mature playstyle for his age, he has some mad skills and can win games by himself. Firmino is more consistent but he isn't as good in my opinion. His pace is ok, his finishing is ok, his dribbling and passing is good, but I think he'll be a bit in the shadow of Coutinho next season while I hope and believe that Depay will continue his form from last season and bring a major contribution to the team.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Mostly seen Firmino when watching Bundesliga highlights, can't remember when I last watched a full Hoffenheim match.

Seen quite a lot of Memphis over the years since we're from the same country.

Conclusion: I have no idea. Firmino being slightly better at the moment/more ready to perform at PL-level is probably correct. But when Memphis has a good day, he really is a great player despite being still raw and young.

If the mentioned fee of 27.5 - 32 million Euro still stands after the window opens, we have extremely good value on Memphis. Considering I don't think Firmino has more talent than him, I'd say for the long run/next five years we've made a slightly better deal.

What happened in the Di Maria vs. Sanchez thread by the way?
Started off with laughing green smilies about Sanchez even running the mighty Di Maria close. You can guess how it ended...

crimsonife

Depay is a winger meant to score goals whereas Firmino from what I've seen in the few Bundesliga matches I've watched of Hoffenheim is the one more of stringing the passes together but still scoring. Could turn out either way really, I'm hoping Depay shows his quality from the start.

Revan

Assumptionman
Firmino is the better player at the moment, but I don't think that there is much difference on them.

A lot will depend on how well (and fast) they will adjust to the league. Both of them very fast can become on top 5 - top 10 players in the league.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Both will be good, long term Depay has more potential IMO while Firmino is better right now as he's older and has more experience in a tougher league... We'll see how Depay is this season making the move to the prem though. He's better physically then Firmino so might make the change effortlessly.

Revan

Assumptionman
I've no idea, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Is this going to be like the Di Maria vs Sanchez thread last year? :wenger:
Di Maria vs Sanchez
Welbeck vs Sturridge
Kagawa vs Hazard
Ronaldo vs La Tallec :devil:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Most likely Firmino. He's coming from a stronger league and will undoubtably be first choice, whilst Memphis is a good few years younger with a lot more direct competition.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I have no idea but feel like my head is spinning. This is a crazy transfer window for us - and not crazy in a desperate way which is nice.

I think, going on theory, I prefer Depay's pacey style. Let's hope I'm as accurate as always. :P

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Chuck me into the 'no idea' group. Doubt very many on here watch both the German and Dutch leagues regularly enough to properly judge. Fair play to any exceptions.

ottosec

Firmino will probably first name on the team sheet for the scousers, I doubt Depay will play that much. Also, Firmino came from a stronger league and should transition to the rigors if the PL easier than Mamphis.

Cina

I honestly think Depay will be a superstar he just has all the tools and no offense to the dippers but if LFC is the best Firmino can do then he wont be on same level
that's a very bizarre way of looking at things. Suarez joined Liverpool when they were in a worse situation than they currently are, for example.