Depay vs Firmino

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I honestly think Memphis is going to be great cos he plays for us and Firmino is going to be wank cos he plays for them.

I doubt there is really that many people who have watched them both enough to have an informed decision about it, but roughly it does seem like Firmino is the finished article to a certain extent and Memphis is potentially world class, but whether he kicks on another level or not is really down to him and his hard work.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I honestly think Memphis is going to be great cos he plays for us and Firmino is going to be wank cos he plays for them.

I doubt there is really that many people who have watched them both enough to have an informed decision about it, but roughly it does seem like Firmino is the finished article to a certain extent and Memphis is potentially world class, but whether he kicks on another level or not is really down to him and his hard work.
Doubts many have watched either player then goes on to say Firmino is finished atticle

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
You comparing him to Suarez? Surely if he was that good a CL club would have gone after him
We weren't a CL club when Suárez joined us...

(Not that I've seen enough to say Firmino is at that level)

Cina

You comparing him to Suarez? Surely if he was that good a CL club would have gone after him
Talk about completely missing the point.

Were Liverpool in the CL when Suarez went there?

Oo0AahCantona

Never seen Firmino play, but im assuming he will probably have the stronger year, whilst depay will have a larger potential.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
In duty of a winger Memphis has no bigger competition from Firmino who's more of a centre minded attacking midfielder playing a false 9 and sometimes switching to wings in case of a bit more complex build up play or just a simple injury crisis that needs sudden changes.

Obviously Firmino is a better tactical option thanks to his indisputable versatility but what's serious advantage of Memphis is that he's a deadly free kick taker and dribbler and it's pretty much what United needed. It will help big time in establishing better goal ratio which in case of United should be easily above 70 per season.

Liverpool splashed some heavy cash but they cannot complain even a bit after Brendan's failed campaign in remaining as a Champions League side. Both clubs got what they needed in my opinion.

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
What I noticed in Firmino's highlights is that almost all his assists or goals come in fast break situations, which he gets because he plays in a small side. Liverpool usually has to break deep sitting defenses, and I don't know how good he is in these situations..

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
A similar amount? 21 and 30 million pounds is a big difference.
Firmino deal could be a bit cheaper if Liverpool had stronger negotiating stance like place in Champions League or already signed world class players to prove their ambitions next season.

There's an obvious difference, I agree but they should feel really lucky in signing him to be honest.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Firmino deal could be a bit cheaper if Liverpool had stronger negotiating stance like place in Champions League or already signed world class players to prove their ambitions next season.

There's an obvious difference, I agree but they should feel really lucky in signing him to be honest.
The price of Depay was jacked up because of PSG. Depay is basically unproven despite his success this past season and his promise. 21m is a lot for a player coming out of the Eredivisie. Not as much as being the most expensive Bundesliga player. I wonder if United is pretending to be interested just to jack up the prices themselves? They can afford to buy so much each year that it would make sense to play that kind of game just to minimize the spending of other teams. Extra 2-3m here and there adds up.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
The evidence suggest Firmino will have the bigger impact this season but Depay has the potential to have the greater impact in the long term.

Both present risks as do all transfers but Firmino would seem the safer bet and Depay the one with slightly more risk given the time of their careers.

But time will tell.

Zoo

It's hard to say as we don't know exactly how they intend to use Firmino whereas Memphis has an obvious position on the left in competition with Young. But I think both signings will be successes and what I like about Memphis is that he seems like the type of player who will contribute even when not playing well.

Sam

In theory Firmino should find it easier to settle as he's already been playing in a top league (and doing well) for the past couple of seasons. He'll also undoubtedly be first choice, whereas Deepay will have to fight for his place in the team. So on that basis, I'd expect Firmino to have a better first season in England.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
The price of Depay was jacked up because of PSG. Depay is basically unproven despite his success this past season and his promise. 21m is a lot for a player coming out of the Eredivisie. Not as much as being the most expensive Bundesliga player. I wonder if United is pretending to be interested just to jack up the prices themselves ? They can afford to buy so much each year that it would make sense to play that kind of game just to minimize the spending of other teams. Extra 2-3m here and there adds up.
Now this is some great food for thought. That could also be a tactic to confuse the living crap out of PSG who are blatantly spying United's scouting network from years.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
I have barely seen Firmino play but I can safely say they are very different. Memphis is a wide player who links up with his teammates and can score great goals on his own aswell, Firmino is more of a multifunctional 10 with a better link up and all round ability. Memphis developed his selfish style of football first but in the last 2 years has been vastly improving his off the pitch mentality and on the pitch all-round play.

Memphis isn't bought for the bench but Firmino probably will play more matches because he has lesser competition, I still expect Memphis to make alot of appearances if not for the fact he's a super sub to have. It will most likely depend on who adjusts to the league the best for who will be seen as having the best impact in his first season. Firmino comes from a stronger league but Memphis is built like a tank and has played well vs all the big opponents he has played against so far.

Short term Firmino probably will be better but medium to long term it's definately Memphis. There's a reason Liverpool wanted him and I trust him to step up his game even more, Memphis really has no weakness which could hold him back in reaching his potential. Give him a few years to perfect his allround ability and to learn picking his moments and he'll be a monster. Wish I knew more about Firmino to make a fair comparison but I don't so Memphis is better :wenger:

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
Comparing the two position wise is a bit off, because one is a winger and the other is an attacking midfielder/second striker. Firminho has the advantage that he has played in a better competition compared to Depay who faces the challenge of the Eredivisie transition to the Premier League intensity. Both have great potential but i feel that Depay will have an easier start because he has Van Gaal behind him who knows him inside out and that is a big factor in the adjusting phase. Depay also experienced a difficult upbringing which made him develop even faster as a human being. This is an absolute plus for his new challenge here in the PL character wise. The kid just oozes confidence whereas i feel Firminho needs a certain protection/love as a typical south-american player. Who will have the bigger impact ? Well the one who will logically make the most of his chances. The more quality the squad contains the bigger the chance to showcase your talents.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Depay is going to be an absolute superstar, I can just tell by the way I made this opinion up 30 seconds ago. Firmino's style is not suited to being good at football, he is the new balotelli and will leave for Barcelona in 2 years anyway. It's stupid to compare such obviously different players, who I have never even seen play.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I've seen enough of both and they are quite different, not really fair to compare, I think Firminho will be looked back on as the better player, but football has an abundance of AMs right now, past Ronaldo Bale Suarez and Neymar, who is definitely better than Memphis on the wing\ inside forward?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I've seen enough of both and they are quite different, not really fair to compare, I think Firminho will be looked back on as the better player, but football has an abundance of AMs right now, past Ronaldo Bale Suarez and Neymar, who is definitely better than Memphis on the wing\ inside forward?
Hazard

ghagua

Both are very talented players. Their success will depend a lot on how the respective managers use them in their teams. Too early to make a call on who will be a bigger success.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Let's not get carried away because he's a United player. @kouroux mentioned Hazard, plus the likes of Robben, Reus, Ribery are considerably better than Memphis. As is a certain Argue at United when talking of wingers, provided he gets back to his previous form, or his current national team level. Could Memphis be better than them in the future ? Maybe. But not right now when compared with players who're more proven in bigger leagues, and against far better competition.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
If both get played in their proper positions then Firmino will be a better player. If Firmino is played upfront or outwide then Depay will blow him away.

Rooney1987

I've not seen enough of either to judge. Especially Firmino I've seen 1 game form Brazil and he looked average in that. But the argument of Firmino looked good in Germany which is a better league then in Holland, so he must be better I don't agree with. Just as many players from the Bundesliga like the Eredvisies fail in the PL. Look at Kagawa player of the year in Germany similar position to Firmino (going from what people here are saying he's a 10) failed.

MJJ

Hazard
Robben
Reus
Griezmann
Sanchez
Isco
James Rodriguez
Carzola
Silva
Di Maria
Nani
Ribery

I can go on actually if you want.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
They're both decent players and will do reasonably well. Neither are as good as the hype suggests.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
21 years is old enough to be a starter. Enough with bedding time excuses. Players needs 2-3 mths bedding time, not 2-3 seasons. We're united not aston villa

Memphis isn't exactly a division 2 player. He's been playing week in week out. There's no reason we can't play hin from the get go, not to mention he'll be having a proper preseason

Depay is clearly coming off a better season, although who knows how they will settle in England. Firmino was in a better league but Depay has the physique and a World Cup 3rd place under his belt. I dont think Depay will get thrown in the deep end like Firmino will either.

In other words, im glad we got one and not the other, although both would have been nice.

Varun

Staff
I think this season possibly Firmino.

I think Depay comes to us as a talented youngster who will need a season or two to become consistent.

Firmino seems like the more established player at this stage of their respective careers.
Pretty much. Depay will need to fight for his place. Firmino goes straight in.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Depay was top scorer in the Eredivisie last season in a league winning side. I expect him to very much hit the ground running for you guys. Hopefully Firmino will too.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Depay was top scorer in the Eredivisie last season in a league winning side. I expect him to very much hit the ground running for you guys. Hopefully Firmino will too.
Huge jump for him to make though. The premier league will test him in very different ways so I'm expecting him not to hit the ground running. Great if he does.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Depay is going to be an absolute superstar, I can just tell by the way I made this opinion up 30 seconds ago. Firmino's style is not suited to being good at football, he is the new balotelli and will leave for Barcelona in 2 years anyway. It's stupid to compare such obviously different players, who I have never even seen play.
:lol:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I think both will be good for their teams and both suit what teams needed right now. Firmino will provide Liverpool with goals and assists they've been missing while being efficient even if not very spectacular while Depay will provide some spark and pace in United's attack that we've been missing lately.