Diallo/Höjlund/Garnacho: Can you see them being our starting front-line next season?

Apokalips

Absolutely not, even when we had genuine wonderkids Rooney and Ronaldo we didn't expect them to carry us. We need mature, proven quality to enable them to grow to their potential. Even when they were at their apex we still added quality like Tevez and Berbatov. That is the real standard we need to be pushing, not giving the keys to the Kingdom to every promising player too soon.

Ibi Dreams

Absolutely not, even when we had genuine wonderkids Rooney and Ronaldo we didn't expect them to carry us. We need mature, proven quality to enable them to grow to their potential. Even when they were at their apex we still added quality like Tevez and Berbatov. That is the real standard we need to be pushing, not giving the keys to the Kingdom to every promising player too soon.
I think the days of signing "proven quality" are gone for us right now, because if they're good they will go elsewhere. Or they'll cost £70m+. Also proven in quotes because being proven somewhere doesn't always equate to being successful at United.

I agree that we need high standards and top quality players, but I think we need to grow them ourselves in this day and age. Unless our new scouting department can unearth some incredible gems

I can see the aforementioned three starting lots of games next season, and I like all of them. With a great coach they could all be great players. I mostly want a striker as I think Hojlund is the least ready and he's literally our only striker.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Not convinced of this - thankfully. Erik has shown that he's happy to drop Rashford if his form is poor. Rashford has been exceptionally fortunate for most of the season that no one really threatens his spot in the team - up until Diallo's emergence at the end of the season.
When? He’s been ‘dropped’ for discipline and injury- I’m yet to see it for poor form. Erik is very much a coach who tries to play players into form.

Dutch Fraud Squad

I'd have liked to have see them given an extended run earlier this season, possibly after the FA Cup Semifinal but obviously ETH still harboured faint hopes that his 'established' non-performing stars would get their collective arse in fear and qualify for the CL, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary!

El Jefe

Just ask yourself how many front threes in the league are stronger than that and there’s your answer to if it we will use those three.

Von Mistelroum

Not fully convinced about Garnacho yet, but the other two are definitely our future unless Ten Hag ruins it by trying to push Antony back in place of Amad.

I would really like Garnacho to be there too, but I do have big questions around his decision making and crossing as well as overall untidy play. Hopefully he can improve and that can be our future front three.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
No too much expectation on kids to play a full season as first team picks. We should be rotating them in and out otherwise there is a real danger of burnout so young.

Overhaul FC

The 3 of them should be played in rotation with 3 more experienced signings.

Replace Rashford Martial and Sancho with 3 good players aged 25 plus.

Stadjer

For this to happen, Amad would need to not pick up an injury in pre season. If he can actually start the season fit im happy.

RORY65

Not fully convinced about Garnacho yet, but the other two are definitely our future unless Ten Hag ruins it by trying to push Antony back in place of Amad.

I would really like Garnacho to be there too, but I do have big questions around his decision making and crossing as well as overall untidy play. Hopefully he can improve and that can be our future front three.
But there are no questions about Amad who has started 8 top flight games (half of them in Scotland)? If that is our starting front 3 then hopefully we're realistic about next season because they're all potentially very good players but that's not a top 6 quality front 3 currently.

Laurencio

Diallo will be 22, Höjlund 21 and Garnacho 20 when the 24-25 season gets under way. None of them fully developed at present but given a new pre-season, can these 3 young men be at the required level to lead Man Utd’s attacking line-up on a regular basis?

To take into consideration:
The goal must be top 4 at least.
The roles of Rashford and Sancho. They’re not going to accept ”fringe player status” surely?
To get the most out of our young front 3, Who plays alongside Bruno and Mainoo. Do we have that player or do we bring him in. CM,DM?

Ready to go?
Hojlund is really raw. He should be second to a much more experienced striker with substantial numbers. Problem is the striker scene is a bit dead at the moment. Ollie Watkins maybe? Deniz Undav? Lautaro Martinez? I think if we had someone like Watkins to carry some of the load for Hojlund we would also get better performances from him. It is not fair for him to have to carry us at this point in his career.

If we are going to play with wingers, and not just a line of three central attacking midfielders (which we absolutely should be doing), we should probably get someone like Leao, Bowen, Bailley or something. However I would much rather prefer; Bruno, Wirtz, Mount and then have Diallo and Garnacho come in to give us something different or provide cover for injuries. And in time become a Garnacho - Wirtz - Diallo trio.

Behind them you need a midfield that is strong, fast and can keep the ball well. Mainoo fits the bill, but he certainly should not be playing every single game. I would love to see a Bruno Guimares - Joao Palhinha double pivot. Joao Neves sounds fun, so it would be nice to have a Mainoo - Neves pivot in the future, but I just do not think they add what we need right now - and they would both become overwhelmed by the amount of games.

The problem of course, is that we also need better defenders and cover for key positions - ideally we need 6 first team players, which is never going to happen.

Last edited:

Raven

We keep buying so called proven quality and they turn out to be on the decline. We should be investing in the future and those players are the future. We are more likely to make long term progression with players of great potential than with old has beens as we have been buying.
Pretty sure Madrid did something similar after the Hazard debacle, doesn't seem to have gone too badly for them.

Von Mistelroum

But there are no questions about Amad who has started 8 top flight games (half of them in Scotland)? If that is our starting front 3 then hopefully we're realistic about next season because they're all potentially very good players but that's not a top 6 quality front 3 currently.
Yeah this is why I said future, but I've thought for a while that Amad has the class to be a top player. I firmly believe with a decent run in the team he'll be one of our best players in no time at all. I would suggest that we need a secondary/rotation striker and a new Left Winger.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Ideally you would want at least 2 of them 3 being backups to more experienced, better players. Buying forwards is expensive though.

Also, not a chance Diallo displaces Rashford, ETH will go with him in most cases when he’s healthy.. His best hope is being our first backup on the wing and even that is going to be tough with Antony around.

Cantonagotmehere

Love them but do not think we can compete at top 3 level with that as the plan. 2 more added to those 3 for 5 that compete for time on form. Rashford of a season ago (haha) and some a striker with some a decent pedigree and see what happens.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Been a growing year for all of them but the manager wanted Hojlund to play 2nd fiddle to a more experienced striker this season but we didn't manage to get anyone else so the role was much bigger than anticipated. Next season I think it will still be the right move to get another striker and not go into the season with someone as the decided striker but play them on form, make them work for their place in the team.

Nickosaur

Think most likely our options will be:
LW: Rashford/Garnacho
ST: Hojlund/new signing who will share minutes
RW: Olise/Diallo

But I doubt we'll have any luck moving Antony on, so Diallo may be used to rotate with Bruno (so should get 2 appearances next season)

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
We need to stop living in La La land believing that time will just cure everything. One of the priorities in the summer should be to get a top class striker who takes the burden off Hojlund and lets him develop without the pressure of carrying a club on his shoulders. We need to buy a Isak or a Toney or a Watkins or someone else who can come in and score goals.

Amad would be a good rotation option for the RW and at the #10 position.

Only Garnacho is the one who I can see regularly starting on the either of the wings.