Diallo/Höjlund/Garnacho: Can you see them being our starting front-line next season?

simplyared

Diallo will be 22, Höjlund 21 and Garnacho 20 when the 24-25 season gets under way. None of them fully developed at present but given a new pre-season, can these 3 young men be at the required level to lead Man Utd’s attacking line-up on a regular basis?

To take into consideration:
The goal must be top 4 at least.
The roles of Rashford and Sancho. They’re not going to accept ”fringe player status” surely?
To get the most out of our young front 3, Who plays alongside Bruno and Mainoo. Do we have that player or do we bring him in. CM,DM?

Ready to go?

davidmichael

I think injury permitting we should definitely be playing those three together against Brighton and City in the cup final then go from there, it all depends on our incoming and outgoing transfers in the summer and how good our recruitment is as we don’t know if the structure will be in place or not by then.

Son

We still need a ST & RW whatever happens and maybe a new LW if Rashford is sold with Antony and Sancho.

Gives us a lot of cash hopefully to play with.

In a perfect world all the three footballers left would be squad players. I don’t think any are good enough to start for a big club yet but we’ve jumped the gun out of necessity.

All need a couple more years learning their trade but funnily enough I think Amad is the best arguably of all three at times.

RuudTom83

If they are then nobody should complain when United finish outside the Top 4.

I love the group of young players at United, but they are 4-5 seasons away from being ready to challenge for the league.

They will need some very good experienced players around them if United have any hope of winning something.

Bertie Wooster

All three are very promising young players with high potential, but none of them are the finished article and, hopefully, aren't yet in their prime as they look like they can all get even better as they develop.

Therefore, no, they shouldn't be the intended first choice front 3. I'm sure there might well be games where they are the starting front 3 - but we should be looking to move on some of the other options and to bring in better options than some of our current alternatives. And the 1 or 2 new attacking signings should be players in their prime years rather than more talented youngsters. And our main front 3 should be a combination of our exciting youngsters with at least one player more in their prime years.

Brophs

The One and Only
Way too early to tell but gun to head, Garnacho will be world class, the other two won’t.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Diallo will be 22, Höjlund 21 and Garnacho 20 when the 24-25 season gets under way. None of them fully developed at present but given a new pre-season, can these 3 young men be at the required level to lead Man Utd’s attacking line-up on a regular basis?

To take into consideration:
The goal must be top 4 at least.
The roles of Rashford and Sancho. They’re not going to accept ”fringe player status” surely?
To get the most out of our young front 3, Who plays alongside Bruno and Mainoo. Do we have that player or do we bring him in. CM,DM?

Ready to go?
In short, no. Only Garnacho will start imo, especially if there's a new manager.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
If we want them 3 to be our starting front 3 regularly then it means sacrificing a couple of seasons while letting them grow together. Arteta built a young squad over time but the trouble with young players is their inconsistent.

joedirt87

I would be ok with that starting 3 if it meant we improved in much more important areas like fullback and midfield while also adding some depth at winger and striker for rotation/cover. Good chance we’re looking at one game a week for most of next season.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Can Amad play the no 10 role? I wonder if he comes in as rotation for Bruno.
Been mentioned before. He probably could, but I don’t think it will ever happen . His close control and dribbling would help with that position.

NoPace

Probably not, but with the right manager and a midfield/defence group of Bruno, quality #8s and #6s with a back 4 of a new LB, Lisandro, a new RCB and Dalot we'd have a shot. Lots of Shaw and Mainoo minutes, probably need another right-sided defender or the right system to make Maguire viable, and Rashford or a new striker and Mount would have to play well off the bench. Also obviously would need damn near no injuries.

NoPace

Been mentioned before. He probably could, but I don’t think it will ever happen . His close control and dribbling would help with that position.
I think we might be trending in the medium-term towards a 4-2-2-2 with Hojlund as the big striker next to Garnacho, Mount and Amad behind them floating between wing and #10 areas, Mainoo and a proper DM sitting deeper, Dalot and a new LB providing width and Lisandro and a new RCB in defence. Rangnick might win out in the end here, posthumously.

Remember the geese

I can not. Rashford will always play. I think Amad will get cast aside, as is customary. Our front line will be Rashford, New Centre forward/Højlund, Olise/Garnacho.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It really depends on a lot of factors:

1. They need to stay fit, which is incredibly difficult for any of our players currently.
2. It depends on the new manager, what view does he has and how highly does he rate each of them.
3. If Rashford stays, then one of Garnacho, who has the advantage to play also on the right or Diallo will play less.
4. If a new ST is brought it, he will rotate with Hojlund.

All in all it's refreshing to have these 3 young players + Mainoo in our squad for next season.

Ace

Not a great front three if we're aspiring higher than another 8th place finish.

Ideally Garnacho,Hojlund, and Amad are backups to an established front three-- Still playing plenty of games and getting plenty of minutes and are integrated into the team with a long term vision in sight.

luke511

It has huge potential.

Garnacho Hojlund Amad
Fernandes
Neves Mainoo
Shaw/new LB Martinez/cover New CB Dalot
Onana​

That team has 4 or 5 playmakers feeding the attack, we’ll see a massive improvement because of it.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Boys all have loads of potential….not ready as a trio yet though. Needs at least one established player amongst them

SirScholes

I hope not
We need goals, they don’t need the burden of carrying us
Garnacho is becoming a little predictable and Rasmus needs a reliable supply

ForFuchsSake

It’s very ‘meh’. Some talent in that with all three players having fairly high ceilings but whether all three will reach that potential is another question. I’m sceptical.

Our front-line needs some certified, consistent quality in it. It needs someone to elevate this front line or we’ll continue to loiter around this current position. For now anyway.

Njord

If we do sell Rashford, Sancho and Anthony in addition to Martial already leaving, I don't think it would be the worst idea to have 5/6 attackers between 20-24, where the ones performing gets to start. This mens we would need to buy 2 or 3 versatile and talented players to compete with the three mentioned.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Sadly not. If Rashford stays, Rashford plays. Simple as.
Not convinced of this - thankfully. Erik has shown that he's happy to drop Rashford if his form is poor. Rashford has been exceptionally fortunate for most of the season that no one really threatens his spot in the team - up until Diallo's emergence at the end of the season.

Stadjer

In short, no. Only Garnacho will start imo, especially if there's a new manager.
I think a new manager would actually be less likely to play Garnacho. It is much safer for a new manager to play Rashford since he is an England international, high earner and pushed to be the star player. Much easier to put young Garnacho on the bench.

honirelandboy

So much needed this summer and I think the forward line is the least of our worries this Summer. They did well enough against Newcastle in fairness. If Rashford is benched he is just going to sulk so if Garnacho is going to be our regular starter Rashford needs to be sold.
Need probably one world class center midfielder and a loanee backup, a full back comfortable on both sides and two new center half's I think should be our priority this Summer. That's five players badly needed if we have any hope of getting top four next season.
If Ten Hag goes Sancho probably be back, not going to give up those 350K wages.

Woodzy

No, and nor should they. Lots of potential there but we need proven quality too if we want to progress

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I mean they obviously they could if the manager so wishes but surely you need a more experienced component in there somewhere.

Or just go the way of arsenal and wait for them to come good after a few seasons.

dutchred

Amad was best at Sunderland playing as #10. he will be Bruno:'s long term replacement

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
No, and nor should they. Lots of potential there but we need proven quality too if we want to progress
We keep buying so called proven quality and they turn out to be on the decline. We should be investing in the future and those players are the future. We are more likely to make long term progression with players of great potential than with old has beens as we have been buying.

thisisnottaken1

We keep buying so called proven quality and they turn out to be on the decline. We should be investing in the future and those players are the future. We are more likely to make long term progression with players of great potential than with old has beens as we have been buying.
Yup, I agree with this.

luke511

Not convinced of this - thankfully. Erik has shown that he's happy to drop Rashford if his form is poor. Rashford has been exceptionally fortunate for most of the season that no one really threatens his spot in the team - up until Diallo's emergence at the end of the season.
His form has been poor all season and he wasn’t dropped. It took an injury for him to play Amad in his place.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think a new manager would actually be less likely to play Garnacho. It is much safer for a new manager to play Rashford since he is an England international, high earner and pushed to be the star player. Much easier to put young Garnacho on the bench.
Its possible but unlikely imo. Garnacho's goals this year have already matched Rashford's over roughly the same amount of fixtures, at a time when Rashford is supposed to be in the prime of his career. It wouldn't be surprising to see Garnacho move from about 10 towards 15-20 goals a year like Saka, Martinelli, Trossard, or a Luis Diaz. Short of better options, he's likely to play on one of the wings.