Did Jamie Vardy make the right decision to reject Arsenal in 16/17?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I've often thought this about Van Persie. He essentially traded in his legacy and legendary status with Arsenal for one title win. I wonder, with the benefit of hindsight, if he would take back the decision to leave if he could.
With the benefit of hindsight he would have joined United sooner

SuperiorXI

Absolutely.

Leicester are a better team than arsenal now anyway and look set to remain that way for the foreseeable future.

Is it really only two and a half years ago that Wenger left arsenal? Seems like a long bygone age. His last "not good enough anymore" team is miles and miles better than their current one. Incredible how quickly they dropped off.
Their fans deserve the drop off

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I've often thought this about Van Persie. He essentially traded in his legacy and legendary status with Arsenal for one title win. I wonder, with the benefit of hindsight, if he would take back the decision to leave if he could.
If it were me I think I’d hope the decent fans understand. Deffo wouldn’t regret it. Must be an amazing feeling

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Asked about his thought process in rejecting the move to the Emirates Stadium, Vardy said: “I was in a hotel room [in Chantilly] for so many hours of every day with nothing to do. You had a lot of time on your hands.

“I am not going to beat around the bush – every time I thought about it, and every aspect of it I thought about, both my head and my heart were saying to stay at Leicester, which is why I made my decision to stay."

Since the 15/16 season, there is the benefit of hindsight to tell us Leicester didn't win anything despite remaining competitive in the league and Vardy proving that he's one of the best strikers. With thoughts of had he joined Arsenal leaving us questions of "what if?" he was the final piece for them, this was a period before Liverpool were as good as they are now. He would have battled against Chelsea's Conte, and Pep's City had Arsenal managed to compete with him. He will for sure go down as a Premier league legend and perhaps leaving Leicester would have tainted that. It's a pretty interesting theory if he would have helped Arsenal but he and Sanchez would be menacing with Ozil feeding them.

Thoughts?
Jesus, look at that XI and compare it to what they are putting out now.

They really dropped a level or two didn't they?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Definitely. Leicester have ambitious owners and a very decent manager. With their new training ground etc, they are really looking on the up.

M Bison

Supports
York City
On reflection and where we are today, it has been the right decision but at the time it seemed the wrong call.

nokoya

Absolutely, very good decision and glad he did well with Leicester.

United58

I doubt it; he got to work with Ferguson, Scholes, Giggs, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra and (an albeit waning) Rooney, while winning a Premier League title

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t think he would. It wasn’t just that he won the league, he was the star of the team. I also think Arsenal fans understand and accept why he left. I do t think there is any bad feeling there

I do feel sorry him, then having to be managed by Moyes who likely significantly contributed to his poor form.

I would also add that RVP Is one of many great players Arsenal have had down the years. Leicester have only had a few, so Vardy is far more of a hero to Leicester than RVP could ever be to Arsenal.

Does Vardy regret not going to Arsenal. Seriously doubt it. Would have loved if we had gone for him. £30m. Would have been a bargain.
I don't know a single Arsenal fan who didn't immensely dislike him after the move.

It could be argued a lot of them took more of an exception to the whole little boy inside me thing than him actually leaving the club but, if he knew he'd only get a single season with Fergie and just the one title win, would he still go? I'd imagine it would at least make the decision a hell of lot more difficult.

Legacy is overrated. Players want to win things, when they retire is a few fans saying good job or that shiny gold medal going to give you more rewards?

Anyway united fans have just as much admiration for him.
I don't think legendary status at a club means just a few fans saying good job though :lol:

I hear you though, winning trumps everything else, I think if got two years with Fergie winning two titles, there's no question it was worth the sacrifice, but I don't think he got enough out of the move to be able to say for sure I would definitely do it all again if given the chance.

With the benefit of hindsight he would have joined United sooner
Would United have taken him sooner though? He only played more than 30 league games twice for Arsenal and they were in the two seasons immediately preceding the United move.

If it were me I think I’d hope the decent fans understand. Deffo wouldn’t regret it. Must be an amazing feeling
Yeah I don't think he regrets the fact that he became a title winner, but I wonder if he wonders if it was a steep price to pay for just the one title.

Last edited:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Not to derail the thread too much, I think it is now clear Vardy unquestionably made correct call.

I doubt it. Whenever he does punditry work he talks more about his time with us than all the years with Arsenal.

I dont think Vardy will regret not moving but staying at Leicester has cemented his legacy as a legend for a smaller club rather than a properly top player. Arsenal was the chance to take it to the next level.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
@WeePat it’s clear RVP wasn’t the type happy to sit there being paid and taking a clap on the back, he wanted to win the league.

some players maybe like being the big fish in a small pond, others want to be remembered in history for winning. I guarantee you RVP would swap all his history from arsenal for another league or CL win IMO

ForeverRed1

He made the right choice. This is a guy who didn’t become fully pro until his late 20s. He’s now a club legend, won a premier league trophy and played for his country, I’d say he has done pretty darn well.
Leicester are a pretty decent team too.

GMoore23

Not a chance. It was his dream to be League champion. After such an injury plagued career, the chance of a league title was probably the only thing keeping him going which is probably why his form dropped so much afterwards.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
He will be delighted he didn’t go. He’s in a team pushing for top 4 as opposed to a tinpot outfit fighting relegation.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think that would crush the little boy inside him.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That Premier League with United was the only major trophy of RVP's career. Somehow i doubt he regrets the move :smirk:

And arsenal don't really have too bad a team, players-wise. Compared to that 16/17 there's not that big a difference in player quality, and that arsenal side spent all season being carried on the back of Alexis Sanchez.

Aubameyang meanwhile is having his worst season in years

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
@WeePat it’s clear RVP wasn’t the type happy to sit there being paid and taking a clap on the back, he wanted to win the league.

some players maybe like being the big fish in a small pond, others want to be remembered in history for winning. I guarantee you RVP would swap all his history from arsenal for another league or CL win IMO
Fair enough, a champions league win is different though, that's the holy grail of holy grails.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yes.

Getting that critical mass together here.

Unless they somehow manage to win another 12 league titles and 14 FA cups in the next few years, I think we'll be safe yet.

Although, if we use your logic, I suppose that would mean Man City are bigger than you?
I know right! Just the other day I was calculating how much bigger exactly Nottingham Forest are than Leicester.