g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Did Liverpool have a good season? [Poll added]

Did Liverpool have a good season?

• Total voters

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
:lol:

Liverpool made it to the final and didn't play Barcelona, Bayern, Juventus, PSG, etc. They played Sevilla twice and couldn't beat them (and everyone knows Sevilla suck :angel:).

Second best team in Europe? Pffffttttttttt.
How many of those teams you mentioned would have conceded 5 or more in the mood we were in? I was praying to face Bayern and Juventus. You can see the banter I had with their fans on here mid season.

Barcelona? Did you see how crap they were this season? Won la Liga but that Roma result was no shock.

The Bloody-Nine

How many of those teams you mentioned would have conceded 5 or more in the mood we were in? I was praying to face Bayern and Juventus. You can see the banter I had with their fans on here mid season.

Barcelona? Did you see how crap they were this season? Win la Liga but that Roma result was no shock.
I'm not sure you're getting this. To win the league, you have to play every single team twice, home and away. You can win (or make it to the final of, in your case), a cup competition, without playing all of the best teams.

Are you seriously saying that Liverpool are the second best team in Europe?

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
A lot of people seem to think that the only way a team can have a "good" season is to win a trophy. Ok, so one team--the league winner--is guaranteed to have a good season. Most years, an English team doesn't win the Champions League, so that one's out. Chelsea won the 2nd best trophy in England--the FA Cup--but just take my word for it, we did *not* have a good season. And everyone knows the Carling Cup or whatever it is now is a joke -- has very little to do with anything, really.

Which is to say: watching football in a way that likely only one team each year can have a "good" season is a pretty sad way to experience football. I'm inclined to say the season was good if the fans enjoyed the season. That's not even a charitable standard, necessarily: I'm sure Liverpool fans would point out plenty of recent seasons in which they didn't feel that way; certainly Chelsea fans would.

If that's too squishy a standard for you, how about: a team had a good season if it outperformed its ranking in the league by wage bill. https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-club-pays-highest-11595611

That's one of the more stable predictors of league performance over time. Therefore, overachieving is an accomplishment.
Exactly. Man City had a great season. Burnley had a meh season - no trophies, la.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Barcelona? Did you see how crap they were this season? Won la Liga but that Roma result was no shock.
Are you suggesting Liverpool are a better side than Barca?

Barca finished top of La Liga - ahead of CL winners Real Madrid - whilst Liverpool scraped 4th on the final day of the season.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
I'm not sure you're getting this. To win the league, you have to play every single team twice, home and away. You can win (or make it to the final of, in your case), a cup competition, without playing all of the best teams.

Are you seriously saying that Liverpool are the second best team in Europe?
No, but in Europe we finished second.

cyberman

All Liverpool really did was face Madrid later than everybody else they eliminated.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
All Liverpool really did was face Madrid later than everybody else they eliminated.
This is actually really legit.

Madrid had a ridiculously difficult path to the CL. Group of death followed by PSG, Juventus, Bayern, Liverpool.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Not disagreeing with at all. We have zero trophies. End of. Was it a shit season because of that? Did Burnley also game a shit season with that wonderful equation?
Quoting just for proof that a Liverpool fan considers themselves in the same bracket as Burnley.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
A fact many people seem to be ignoring.

The only team of genuine European pedigree they met in the CL were Real Madrid and we all know how that turned out.

Trizy

Yes they had, playing great football, Champions League final and top 4 and also looking very promising for future with adding Fabinho, Keita and being linked with likes of Fekir and Allison.
Pretty much this .

The Bloody-Nine

Not disagreeing with that at all. We have zero trophies. End of. Was it a shit season because of that? Did Burnley also game a shit season with that wonderful equation?
I didn't say you had a shit season. I said you aren't the second best team in Europe. Apparently you agree with this, yet seem to be arguing that you were.

Ban

Number of votes. :lol:

They had a good season, yes. I've seen people say they will challenge City next season which I think it's too early to predict especially since it's Liverpool and they always find a way to make us laugh.
In the league they got top 4 and got to the CL final of course. But being in the CL final doesn't make them a 2nd best team in Europe. Football doesn't work like that. League is one thing and a cup run in CL is the other.
For instance Roma beat Barcelona, are they better than them? Not to mention Barca won La liga convincingly. Once you go into this stuff who beat who it becomes ridiculous.

Last edited:

stepic

It’s not really a stupid question if you read the OP and the rationale for the question.

There’s lots of hype over the season they’ve had, they came 4th and got to the CL final. There’s lots of complaints on here from our fans and we finished higher in the league and got to the FA Cup final yet there’s not many saying we had a good season.
The rationale is because they lost in the final and only qualified for the CL on the last day.

The very fact they were IN the final means it was a good season. Making it to the final is difficult. We have done it 5 times in our entire history. They lost but they still put themselves in the position to win it.

They were also clearly focusing on the CL towards the end of the season and so their league form suffered.

It’s ridiculous to think a team that qualified for the CL and made the final of the most prestigious cup tournament in the world didn’t have a good season. Mental.

Rista

They had a good season, but for all the praise they've been getting for their "fantastic" football, their actual league result was poor and they were lucky Chelsea were so bad. They were also very lucky with their run to the final but you can only beat what's in front of you so fair play to them. Never looked like beating a proper team in the final though. I don't really see them building up on this and doing better next season.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Going on signings so far and if they do add a quality keeper like Allison I think they're the most likely to challenge City next season. I think we need to seriously invest this summer to compete. I also don't think under Jose we will play anything close to as entertaining football as they will under Klopp.

At the end of the day they were an injury to one of the world's best players and a shit goalkeeper away from potentially winning the CL and they had a better season than us.

RedCurry

They beat Man City thrice in the season. That’s something I guess. Beyond that, not really.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Players like Fabinho, Fekir and Allisson(sp?) are considering them now. They wouldn't have two/three seasons ago. Reaching the Champions League final, and doing it while playing attacking football has clearly elevated their status. So yes, I think they've had a very good season.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Yeah making the final of the CL, meh, who would wanna do that
Reaching the CL final is an achievement in itself, but losing in said final significantly diminishes that achievement. Especially given the manner in which it was lost - Karius literally throwing it away on two separate occasions.

They had a good season in Europe but a bog standard one domestically. Above average season on the whole then.

Glideman

Players like Fabinho, Fekir and Allisson(sp?) are considering them now. They wouldn't have two/three seasons ago. Reaching the Champions League final, and doing it while playing attacking football has clearly elevated their status. So yes, I think they've had a very good season.
Lol based on what? You don’t know if those players are considering them

stepic

Do you fondly reminisce about the two glorious times we were humped in the final by Barcelona? No? Me neither.
No but those seasons we made the final were still considered good. We put ourselves in the position to win the ultimate prize. It’s a difficult and rare thing to do.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Fekir was signed and sealed long before their CL expedition, Fabinho had no better option available at the time and the Allisson deal is far from concluded.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
If you were offered 4th and a champs league final defeat next season, would you take it?

It was not a bad season by any means but for a club with Liverpool's rich history of sucesss its nothing special.
No. What a shit season of football it would be absolutely knowing your team would lose a cup final and finish 4th in a league. You completely take away the journey.

Ultimately not winning anything is also disappointing just like United's season was this season. At least we can take the low ground and say that Liverpool only beat one good team this CL and that with massive help from the referee. They were really lucky in that 3 of the 4 players that played the most minutes this season were their front 3. An injury to any of the the three and they wouldn't have done as well.

I realize I'm pegging Liverpool down but I think I'm doing it realistically and this is the place to do it.

stepic

Reaching the CL final is an achievement in itself, but losing in said final significantly diminishes that achievement. Especially given the manner in which it was lost - Karius literally throwing it away on two separate occasions.

They had a good season in Europe but a bog standard one domestically. Above average season on the whole then.
So win the final they’ve had the best season of all teams in the world. Lose the final and they’ve not even had a good season. There’s a diminishing achievement and then there’s something else.

The Bloody-Nine

No but those seasons we made the final were still considered good. We put ourselves in the position to win the ultimate prize. It’s a difficult and rare thing to do.
Regardless, the end result is the same. Defeat.

Personally, I would rather get stuffed in the first round than make it all the way to the final and lose. It's the hope that kills you.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Do you fondly reminisce about the two glorious times we were humped in the final by Barcelona? No? Me neither.
:lol: This is basically ignored. No top club thinks losing a CL final is an achievement (you can't just act as if the final didn't happen, but it doesnt stop people from doing it). Which then comes to conclusion that Liverpool are not a top club.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
All three are better than Real too?
Barca and Bayern are better teams overall (in my opinion) but City lack the European experience required to be considered among the elite so no. They are catching up fast though.

You don't really believe Liverpool to be the second best team in Europe do you?

Djemba-Djemba

Yeah because in 2009 we won the League and the League Cup and in 2011 we won the League.

I imagine if we scraped into 4th in 2009 and 2011 and won nothing we wouldn't look back on losing the CL final and think it's a good season.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Yeah because in 2009 we won the League and the League Cup and in 2011 we won the League.

I imagine if we scraped into 4th in 2009 and 2011 and won nothing we wouldn't look back on losing the CL final and think it's a good season.
Fergie was next level though and anything other than a PL win under him was disappointing. The man never finished lower than third in the PL. A true freak of nature. You just can't judge other managers alongside him.

Klopp has done a good job at Pool as much as it pains me to say it and I think given their signings this summer they will be challengers next season. I really hope we spend wisely too or I think we could find ourselves behind them whilst inevitably playing worse football.