Did Liverpool have a good season? [Poll added]

Did Liverpool have a good season?

• Total voters

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Whether they finished 4th or 10th, making the CL final alone would be a great season. They also have one of the best players in the world and are building on that with new players, so why on earth would Klopp even consider leaving.
Salah is a one season best player in the world wonder. His finishing is not sustainable in the long term and he will drop a level next season to a sub-40 goal return. He is outperforming his statistics by almost 30% which is quite typical of freak seasons.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Salah is a one season best player in the world wonder. His finishing is not sustainable in the long term and he will drop a level next season to a sub-40 goal return. He is outperforming his statistics by almost 30% which is quite typical of freak seasons.
Even if he doesn't knock in 44 next year - he could easily score 30 plus which will still be an amazing return on investment for them. Plus they are seriously upgrading their midfield with Fabinho and Keita so their attack should be supported more, not less.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
They did have a good season, but history will not remember them for anything but that goalkeeping performance.

Much like ourselves really, we beat everyone in the league at least once, but our season is defined by our exit to Seville, our FA Cup final loss, getting blown away by City, and oddly enough... only getting a point at Anfield.
History is not a great judge of a good season. Utd had one of their 'best' post-Ferguson seasons when they finished sixth and history will only show the trophies they won. But blimey it was an awful season to watch them/you.

Some things you can judge with stats, some things you can't. That's where one's own eyesight and common sense comes in. For us this season was fantastic. The whole season was not defined by it's final 90 minutes.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Even if he doesn't knock in 44 next year - he could easily score 30 plus which will still be an amazing return on investment for them. Plus they are seriously upgrading their midfield with Fabinho and Keita so their attack should be supported more, not less.
Salah is a good player, and I wasn't commenting on Liverpool's team in general. Salah is having a freak season which is near impossible to repeat next season.

They won't have one of the best players in the world next season, he'll just be a top player. Probably top 10-15 in the world.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I also think people underestimate the effect exciting football plays on the psychology of a fanbase. They did that and still met expectations. Think every Liverpool fan would be satisfied.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
They had a good season but by no means was it fantastic. At the end of the day they accomplished no silverware and almost finished 5th.

Liverpools hype is not consistent with the expectations. They're hyped to blow teams away and yet not compete for the league. If they didn't compete for the next season I bet media will still love them.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Any season where a team reaches the Champions League final is a good one. One match from the being Champions of Europe is a big accomplishment. They were well in the game as well until Saha was assassinated ;)

Plus they played some very impressive attacking football and took some big scalps.

I absolutely hate to say it but with the right signings, which they’re already started doing, I think they will be better again next season and potentially challenging for the title.

So a good season for sure but not a great one, that requires silverware.

Reiver

If we had the same season as them I think I might be disappointed. I don't really care about finals, even the UCL, if we don't win them. I certainly wouldn't be happy with the league position.
Will Liverpool fans be disappointed? I don't know. I don't know any. I don't spend time lurking on RAWK. The posts from there that have ended up on here (probably not a representative sample) post final seem hugely optimistic. Delusional even.

Varun

Staff
I also think people underestimate the effect exciting football plays on the psychology of a fanbase. They did that and still met expectations. Think every Liverpool fan would be satisfied.
Yup, you get extra points to work with if you're entertaining your fans.

Varun

Staff
If we had the same season as them I think I might be disappointed. I don't really care about finals, even the UCL, if we don't win them. I certainly wouldn't be happy with the league position.
Will Liverpool fans be disappointed? I don't know. I don't know any. I don't spend time lurking on RAWK. The posts from there that have ended up on here (probably not a representative sample) post final seem hugely optimistic. Delusional even.
Nothing against you individually but I struggle to associate with views like this. As a fan, the journey of the season, the entertainment my team provides when i see them play etc are key components of how my experience ends up being. Simply a trophy = good, not = bad is something I don't understand

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Salah is a good player, and I wasn't commenting on Liverpool's team in general. Salah is having a freak season which is near impossible to repeat next season.

They won't have one of the best players in the world next season, he'll just be a top player. Probably top 10-15 in the world.
Whether he replicates CR7/Messi levels of scoring is in doubt, but even 30-35 range is entirely feasible, which would still be world class level.

lysglimt

Scout
Sold Coutinho for £140 million and bought Salah for about £40 million - only to see his value more than triple in 8-9 months. Already there they had a wonderful season. As an end result it wasn't wonderful - but as a start of something that can be really good - it was a success.

Liverpool are 4-5 players away from having a very good side - With Fabinho and Keita - they could easily be 2-3 players away. And regardless of who they sign in goal, it will be better than who they have at present.....so yes….things are unfortunately looking good for the red part of Merseyside

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Nothing against you individually but I struggle to associate with views like this. As a fan, the journey of the season, the entertainment my team provides when i see them play etc are key components of how my experience ends up being. Simply a trophy = good, not = bad is something I don't understand
Strange that losing a final isn't counted as part of the journey though?

Losing a final is like doing all the foreplay and not getting down to business. You're feeling a bit ripped off. That's how I feel about the FA cup. We were much better in the FA cup than in the league, but I'm still not pleased with the FA cup run.

Whether he replicates CR7/Messi levels of scoring is in doubt, but even 30-35 range is entirely feasible, which would still be world class level.
Yes, he'll be a top player. You need that type of player in your team. Chelsea have Hazard, Spurs have Kane, City have KdB and Aguero. Hopefully Sanchez gets over this season and kicks on, and we get another world class player in to add to the team.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
This is very true. It makes a difference if you’re looking forward to watching your team each week, and for most I think that’s determined by how entertaining your team can be to watch.

Reiver

Actually you make a good point. I'm probably thinking about this too dispassionately because it's Liverpool and I don't when I think about Utd. Take last season, yes we won 2 trophies, but I struggle to remember that many games I enjoyed. I know that, having reached the UCL final and lost, I would have been gutted for a long time. Eventually I would be able to appreciate good performances in the competition.
I'm sure Liverpool fans have some memories of some very good performances this season. On that basis, who am I to say they didn't have a good season?

Varun

Staff
Strange that losing a final isn't counted as part of the journey though?

Losing a final is like doing all the foreplay and not getting down to business. You're feeling a bit ripped off. That's how I feel about the FA cup. We were much better in the FA cup than in the league, but I'm still not pleased with the FA cup run.

Yes, he'll be a top player. You need that type of player in your team. Chelsea have Hazard, Spurs have Kane, City have KdB and Aguero. Hopefully Sanchez gets over this season and kicks on, and we get another world class player in to add to the team.
Who says it isn't? I have in no way insinuated that they've had a perfect journey, merely pointing out that its weird for a fan to not care about anything but the trophy count at the end of season to decide whether he's satisfied with the season or not. Moreover, comparing a CL run to a FA cup run is unlikely to give you a correct picture of the ride. The CL is on another level for obvious reasons.

Varun

Staff
Actually you make a good point. I'm probably thinking about this too dispassionately because it's Liverpool and I don't when I think about Utd. Take last season, yes we won 2 trophies, but I struggle to remember that many games I enjoyed. I know that, having reached the UCL final and lost, I would have been gutted for a long time. Eventually I would be able to appreciate good performances in the competition.
I'm sure Liverpool fans have some memories of some very good performances this season. On that basis, who am I to say they didn't have a good season?
Yeah, I don't think there would be too many Pool fans who'd say they didnt have a good season. Sure, it could have been better but they saw their team play exciting football and reach the CL finals. They're hardly a Real Madrid who demand trophies every season anyways.

I appreciate your thought out response btw. Easier to stick to the original view and not budge instead of seeing what the other guy means. In any case, you're well within your rights to say they didnt have a good season but yeah, I think most Pool fans would say they did and if it werent Pool, most united fans would too ;)

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Without a doubt they had a good season.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Who says it isn't? I have in no way insinuated that they've had a perfect journey, merely pointing out that its weird for a fan to not care about anything but the trophy count at the end of season to decide whether he's satisfied with the season or not. Moreover, comparing a CL run to a FA cup run is unlikely to give you a correct picture of the ride. The CL is on another level for obvious reasons.
No need to compare CL and FA cup then. After the 2009 CL final I was indifferent to the CL run. We were beaten by a clearly better team. After the 2011 CL final I was fuming because it looked as if we had just gotten lucky through a piss easy draw and there were problems in the team that needed fixing.

I would say that our CL run in 2011 has some clear similarities to the this Liverpool CL run. There are glaring deficiencies in the team that need to be fixed or else nothing of note will be accomplished by the team. An easy draw papered over the cracks of the team.

Boycott

That sort of mentality suggests those fans would be better off following football through score apps. The way you get there and the actual 90 minutes makes no difference clearly. Just the final outcome being right. For a manager and player I'd get it because it's their success. They are employees who will be judged and sanctioned if they fall short, but players come and go and so do managers. Fans are the one constant and for fans to derive satisfaction for a 10 month slog over whether you get a pot in May is shallow imo. If that were the case people would only support the same 1-2% clubs who win things.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
That sort of mentality suggests those fans would be better off following football through score apps. The way you get there and the actual 90 minutes makes no difference clearly. Just the final outcome being right. For a manager and player I'd get it because it's their success. They are employees who will be judged and sanctioned if they fall short, but players come and go and so do managers. Fans are the one constant and for fans to derive satisfaction for a 10 month slog over whether you get a pot in May is shallow imo. If that were the case people would only support the same 1-2% clubs who win things.
If we get relegated I'd want to us to win the Championship and deem not winning anything a disappointment. If we get double relegated I'd want to win League 1.

It has nothing to do with shallowness, and everything to do with the type of person you are. Some people just enjoy the feeling of winning competitions, and for fans that's watching your team win.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think you're in the minority mate. For a lot of us this year, our desire before each game had dripedd as low as hoping we see goals. I think many United fans would give an arm just to enjoy watching the team entertain them again.

SirAF

Ageist
It’s not weird.

OldSchoolManc

Like a Liverpool fans poem,
That is ridiculously romantic,
I give you the truth,
That is real and pedantic,
In the great mists of time,
Nobody will give a damn,
They merely ended up,
As losers - an also ran.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Whether they finished 4th or 10th, making the CL final alone would be a great season. They also have one of the best players in the world and are building on that with new players, so why on earth would Klopp even consider leaving.
So if they did finish 10th, which would put them a few places behind Everton, they would've still had a great season according to you?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So if they did finish 10th, which would put them a few places behind Everton, they would've still had a great season according to you?
If they played entertaining football, made the fans happy and made the CL final then yes.

Kag

You'd have to be extremely bitter and one-eyed to argue no.

If we finished in the top four, playing attractive football that looked like going somewhere, reaching the Champions League final (while selling one of our best players) Mourinho would be praised heavily - and rightly so.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
If they played entertaining football, made the fans happy and made the CL final then yes.
I suppose if their fans were happy with that (not sure they would be, but maybe i'm wrong) you could make the argument for it. But looking at it from an objective POV, the minimum for Liverpool is to get Champions League football, and finishing 10th certainly wouldn't do that. Added to the fact that they won nothing, i would really struggle to see how you would categorise it as a "great season".

Especially finishing below Everton.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I suppose if their fans were happy with that (not sure they would be, but maybe i'm wrong) you could make the argument for it. But looking at it from an objective POV, the minimum for Liverpool is to get Champions League football, and finishing 10th certainly wouldn't do that. Added to the fact that they won nothing, i would really struggle to see how you would categorise it as a "great season".

Especially finishing below Everton.
Its a hard hypothetical since you could argue that finishing 10th would be unrealistic for side that is good enough to make the CL final. Let's say they finished 5th or 6th. That would still be a good season if you incorporate positive attacking football, fan satisfaction, having a world class star and making the CL final.

Reiver

I think you're in the minority mate. For a lot of us this year, our desire before each game had dripedd as low as hoping we see goals. I think many United fans would give an arm just to enjoy watching the team entertain them again.
Yeah, you and Varun are right. I was judging Liverpool too harshly. What I wouldn't give to be entertained on a regular basis again.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
For the squad at their disposal, and the expectations they went into the season with, absolutely. They achieved their goal at top 4, and had a fantastic run in the CL.