Didier Drogba retires?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
According to the BBC (and a few other media outlets), Didier has now retired.

The legend himself just Tweeted this...

I love him so much.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Oh man, would love to see peak Drogba in today's Premier League.

Kostur

海尔的老板
So you made a clickbaity thread implying that he's retiring only to tell us that he actually is not retiring? Sad!

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Always seemed like an absolute class act (apart from the theatrics). Genuinely nice bloke off the pitch from what I've seen, and even as a Liverpool fan I felt for him after that match versus Barcelona where Chelsea were victims of the biggest robbery I've seen up 'til Sterling was awarded that penalty.

I'm sure you remember this one, duffer :D His reaction haha.

What a monster of a player.

AaronRedDevil

Probably the first player I hated when he was in the PL. Absolute beast of a player, always a threat no matter where he was. Really respected how good he was. Probably one of the best strikers ever to player in the premiere league.

Ether

One of the most overrated players in PL history. People will he's a target man, a fulcrum up front to play off of etc. but for a guy talked about as world class, scoring 16 goals or less in 7 of his 9 seasons at Chelsea isn't great at all. Not in the class as Henry, Shearer, RVN and others.

Robbie Boy

I actually thought he was retired. Great player and anytime a player looks a bit shite in their mid twenties people will say “oh but Drogba was a late bloomer”. Yes, yes he was but he’s one of those anomalies and not the norm.

Great player but one of the biggest cheats. Never understood how a player so strong could go down so easily.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
One of the most overrated players in PL history. People will he's a target man, a fulcrum up front to play off of etc. but for a guy talked about as world class, scoring 16 goals or less in 7 of his 9 seasons at Chelsea isn't great at all. Not in the class as Henry, Shearer, RVN and others.
He made them count. With Lampard around they didn't need him to score that much either.

He was an incredible player, looking at his goal record doesn't make it justice to what he brought to the team.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
So you made a clickbaity thread implying that he's retiring only to tell us that he actually is not retiring? Sad!
I clicked it, and I enjoyed it.

poleglass red

Very good example of a player fitting a team. He was perfect for his role for Chelsea. You don't always have to buy the next Messi or Ronaldo wannabe, get a player that fits your system and he was so good for them. His goal record actually wasn't great, but his game wasn't just about scoring. He was a bit like Sparky was for us, not potent, but always seemed to turn up and score in big important games.

InfiniteBoredom

Because he was diving.
One of my fondest memory of Evans in a United shirt was him kungfu-ing Drogba in the gut and the latter got an yellow for a dive :lol:

Incredible player for sure, always hated the fecker whenever he played against us. Still remember his rocket to bring it back to 2-1 at OT in the CL quarter, on the pitch for 15 minute and did more than Torres over 2 legs.

Canagel

His record in finals was really good though. Real Big game player. He turned up with the big goals in the big games.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
One of my fondest memory of Evans in a United shirt was him kungfu-ing Drogba in the gut and the latter got an yellow for a dive :lol:

Incredible player for sure, always hated the fecker whenever he played against us. Still remember his rocket to bring it back to 2-1 at OT in the CL quarter, on the pitch for 15 minute and did more than Torres over 2 legs.
Drogba had his ribs broken in the challenge, missed a few weeks afterwards. Evan's should've seen a red card for sure. Drogba was a victim of his (well earned) reputation.

His record in finals was really good though. Real Big game player.
He played in 10 finals for us and scored in 9 of them. The one he didn't score in was in 2015 when he came on in the 93rd minute of the League Cup final that we won 2-0.

Ether

His record in finals was really good though. Real Big game player. He turned up with the big goals in the big games.
No doubt, plenty of final goals as well as big performances against the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool and Barcelona. I'm not saying he's a bad player, just doesn't deserve to be listed among the very best CF's in the PL era. He's a better version of what Giroud is now and no one would consider the latter to be remotely world class.

Meller

He played in 10 finals for us and scored in 9 of them. The one he didn't score in was in 2015 when he came on in the 93rd minute of the League Cup final that we won 2-0.
He didn't score in Moscow.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Remember first seeing him play for Marseille, was actually 25 at that point so a late developer. They had a run to Uefa cup final in 2004 and he ripped Newcastle defence to shreds in the semi finals.

Joined Chelsea in 2004 but only really started showing his best from from 2006.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Will always remember that turn and volley against Carragher (I think? Might have been Agger). Didn't he have a great record against Liverpool, much like Henry?

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
One of the greatest African players.

Eto'o remains the #1 for me

RedDevil@84

Drogba had his ribs broken in the challenge, missed a few weeks afterwards. Evan's should've seen a red card for sure. Drogba was a victim of his (well earned) reputation.
Not really. Drogba acted as if he had got a seizure or a heart attack, rather than someone injured with a kick. Not claiming it didn't hurt, but his act was pretty unnatural.
Evans should have been sent off for sure.

Canagel

Pfft. Take that goal away then you have to also take Macheda's ludicrous handball goal so we would've won 1-0.
It wasn't deliberate maybe. I don't remember it as well as the clear cut offside. He was a good yard offside I still don't believe how the linesman missed it.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Chelsea have had a ton of great African players. Eto'o, Drog, Essien, Weah, Salah, Mikel, Geremi, Djilibodji.
Impressive list indeed, we could add Desailly born in Ghana :p

Tarrou

I remember thinking "when is this cnut going to decline?" in about 2010

Amazing the high level he maintained well into his 30s, not too many strikers have managed that

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I remember thinking "when is this cnut going to decline?" in about 2010

Amazing the high level he maintained well into his 30s, not too many strikers have managed that
His career looks quite average until his mid-20s though which may explain it.