Didier Drogba retires?

stepic

One of the most overrated players in PL history. People will he's a target man, a fulcrum up front to play off of etc. but for a guy talked about as world class, scoring 16 goals or less in 7 of his 9 seasons at Chelsea isn't great at all. Not in the class as Henry, Shearer, RVN and others.
Did you watch him play? Stats don’t tell the full story.

SambaBoy

Probably the most complete forward I've seen in the PL era. He had a bit off everything, he could bully you physically on the deck or in the air, was quite fast, had good dribbling, excellent tough, great finisher and could hold the ball up. Had a few years where he was unplayable and always seemed to score in the big games. Definitely up there as one of the best CF's in the Prem.

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
One of the most overrated players in PL history. People will he's a target man, a fulcrum up front to play off of etc. but for a guy talked about as world class, scoring 16 goals or less in 7 of his 9 seasons at Chelsea isn't great at all. Not in the class as Henry, Shearer, RVN and others.
If you don't believe Drogba was one of the best strikers to play in the EPL then you truly don't know football

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
I never understood people enjoying Evans digging an actual hole in Drogba's chest. I mean there was an actual hole in the chest that we actually saw in the cameras. It's the same type of people who boo Ramsey in the Stoke-Arsenal matches.

Moriarty

I remember him slapping Vidic in Moscow, getting sent off and being unavailable to take a penalty in the shoot-out. Still, he was a fearsome player and a decent bloke by all accounts.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
This guy was pure menace. No matter the tactics he would wreck havoc anywhere during his prime. I've found him first on his last season in Marseille and it was easy to tell he was special. Defenders just couldn't deal with so much power.

freeurmind

weak willed
Perhaps not the most prolific but definitely the best at getting under defender's skin. Was great to see Costa continue the legacy at Chelsea years later. A true pantomime villain.

Ether

Did you watch him play? Stats don’t tell the full story.
If you don't believe Drogba was one of the best strikers to play in the EPL then you truly don't know football
Stats should be more relevant for a centre-forward. I don't care how good of a target man he was, if you scored less PL goals than Darren Bent, Peter Crouch and Lukaku you don't belong in the conversation with the likes of Shearer/Henry/Aguero etc. Drogba at his peak was fantastic, but he didn't play at the level consistently long enough as the best CF's.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Stats should be more relevant for a centre-forward. I don't care how good of a target man he was, if you scored less PL goals than Darren Bent, Peter Crouch and Lukaku you don't belong in the conversation with the likes of Shearer/Henry/Aguero etc.
Guess we can't include RVN or Cantona either then. Shame, I personally think those two (and Drog) are more deserving of being in the conversation than Darren Bent or Peter Crouch but if the stats say, no, the stats say no.

Yagami

Good post resistant
His performances at home and away to Barcelona in 2012 were incredible. Two of the best individual performances I've seen in recent memory. Well done to him on a great career and all of his wonderful charity work, too.

I didn't mind him as a pundit on the BBC during the world cup either. Though Phil Neville obviously stole the show.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
I'll say what Gauss said to the suggestion that the total number of Dirichlet's publications is not large: One does not weigh jewels on a grocery scale!

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Shocking to put RVN in the same league as Henry and Shearer. And in a Drogba thread to try to call him overrated as well.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Great striker to be sure, but a bit of a cheating cnut and in my opinion not as good as some are making him out to be. Definitely not Henry, Shearer etc level for me. Simply didn't score enough goals for that.

Though admittedly, he had a knack to score the big ones.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Won the lot at club level. Helped stop a war. Donated millions to help people back in Ivory Coast including building a hospital. Has literally saved lots of peoples lives through his actions. Has had the kind of impact on the world that most people could only dream of.

Absolute legend.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Obviously a great player but he's a couple of tiers below the best ever premier league strikers.

I'd probably have him level with someone like Owen.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Retired

One of the best big game players in football history.