Diego Maradona has died | 1960 – 2020

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Lived his life on the extremes. The best in my generation

RiP DAM

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Can't be that ridiculous an opinion surely?
Maradona won them World cup. And (and that is just my guess) Maradona was one of them. Players were more connected to fans in the past. I mean, they were also well payed etc but still you could bump on them in some pub or something like that.
Today kids watch their heroes on some yacht on instagram

Abizzz

Feels like yesterday that he coached Argentina. Was too young to really witness him playing in his prime, but he was pretty much all I ever heard about in the mid-late nineties, how no one was anywhere close to how good he just had been. What a life to have lived.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Missed his prime but he was the reason I started supporting the Argentina national team. Being from Thailand you kinda had to adopt a second team. (I also had Italy for the euros).

Simply a magician. A football wizard. Unfortunately he went the flawed genius route rather than the become a billionaire mogul route. Sad stuff. Rip legend. Thanks for everything you did for your country and for football.

Jeffthered

It was his natural footballing intelligence which always astounded me.. he was always two, three yards ahead of other players, and rarely made the wrong decision.. he knew when to run with the ball, when not to, when to keep it simple, when to be the individual, when to just attract players for others... a real player's player. All that, AND a phenomenal talent, and a true inspiration.

isn't Aguero his nephew?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Will always remember him caught on camera in the crowd at a world cup barking the swears and gesturing wildly at opposition fans. That was quality.
And some of the football as well of course.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
So sad hearing this news. Diego Maradona was a true great of the game.
His performance in the 86 World Cup will never be forgotten.
Rest in Peace Diego.

dal

I was only 4 years old When Diego drew me into football, death is horrible but when a larger than life character dies it’s seriously hard to take.

My last message goes to you Diego, a true inspiration. May the hand of god take care of you. Rest in Peace.

Foxbatt

And one footed too. He played when you could get away anything short of murder on the pitch. The best player the World has seen so far.

Tel074

My Hero and the reason I fell in love with football.
My son's middle name is Diego .

For the younger guys on here us older grew up when we couldn't see much live football and to see Diego was a treat. 86 was for me the highest level any footballer has ever reached . He was unbelievable in winning Argentina the world cup and was the only reason they got to a final in 90.
He is like a god to so many people and he is that for me .
I'm heart broken tonight my little boy is 10 he's been crying since he came home from school. We will sit tonight like we have for so many years and watch the greatest football player in the history of the game and been in awe just like I was the first time I saw him .
Rip Diego Rip Legend

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
It was his natural footballing intelligence which always astounded me.. he was always two, three yards ahead of other players, and rarely made the wrong decision.. he knew when to run with the ball, when not to, when to keep it simple, when to be the individual, when to just attract players for others... a real player's player. All that, AND a phenomenal talent, and a true inspiration.

isn't Aguero his nephew?
Son in law. Father to Maradona grandson.

javanmard

Supports
Liverpool
The greatest player ever without a shadow of a doubt. R.I.P Diego. May the hand of God take care of you

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
I remember watching a brilliant Maradona documentary about his time in Naples and would like to watch it again but theres a few Maradona documentaries and I can't remember the name of this particular one. I know not much info given but would anyone know the name of DOC I'm talking about?
Diego Maradona by Asif Kapadia.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
The game of football has 250 million players, and a estimated 3.5 billion fans.

In the past century, hundreds of millions more have played the game and billions of fans have seen the light of life and gone to sleep in the darkest night.

Diego Maradona is one of the biggest legends of a sport that has meant more to human society than any before or since.

Diego is one of Argentinas biggest sons, a legend of a generation and a hero of Naples.

Rest well, Maradona.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
RIP.

What an absolute legend and icon.

Favourite YouTube video is him doing a gloriously skilful and half arsed warm up :lol:

Unreal player.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I wonder if they can now name the San Paolo after him?

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
There is to be three days of national mourning in Argentina. I can't think of another footballer who would be mourned so much by a country.

DSG

Rest In Peace, brother. For me, you are the GOAT. Pure genius. Dominated in a pretty gnarly era where you were the recipient of numerous fouls that would have been straight reds today.

Blows me away that two of the greats died on Nov 25. Best also had his demons. Hopefully those two are playing on a “heavenly” pitch together....

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
In terms of football, he was the best of all time. I've seen multiple videos and goals of D10S and he would have ruled the '90s, '00s and '10s with ease. A mix of Zidane, Messi and Zola. He truly is the beginning of current football.

One of the few larger-than-life characters in football. He trascended the medium. He became a symbol, an icon, the hero of an entire country, for better or worse. Argentina has had few "alegrías" since the '70s, and the World Cup of 1986 is perhaps the most important cup ever won by a country. Not just sport, but existentialism.

He was no saint, he had multiple demons and he freely admitted it. He never wanted to be an example for anybody or a "white knight", like Pelé, but as I've said, he was and is an icon.

Fans of Napoli sure are suffering as well. Perhaps an even bigger hero there than in Buenos Aires (Maradona was deeply respected but not loved by River Plate fans, for example).

Reactions: esmufc07

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
He lived to the max and he spent his 60 years well.

Maradona the player will always be considered a top 5 player and maybe the best of all time. He did things that were other worldly and created some many memories for the fans of the clubs he played for and his country.

I know some Brits are angry over what happened in 1986 but it was one moment, it could've happened to anyone. You win some and you lose some.

Outside of football he lived a crazy life, I imagine there was never a dull moment. Whether he had any regrets would be interesting but he'll be remembered for the good.

I'm sorry but this is thuggery!! :lol: :lol:
God rest his soul.

That's what Jack Wilshire imagines he's like in his mind.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Only one player can claim to have invoked every emotion humanly possible to experience whilst watching football. That was Diego Maradona. He embodied every reason we are addicted to turning on and watching week in, week out. And what a player.

RIP GOAT.