Diego Maradona has died | 1960 – 2020

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
When i was a kid in early 90s, when someone did crazy stuff on football pitch, we had (and everybody else i guess) a phrase; "Do you think that you are Maradona?".
Diego, Diego, Diegoooo

:(:(:(:(

LARulz

I never saw him play but everyone waxes lyrical about him. The fact people still do and consider him one of the greatest of all time, if not the best speakers volumes. He has a legacy and imprinted into all people's minds - whether you saw him or not and thats incredible. We have seen many great players we think are magicians but other than Ronaldo/Messi, nobody says they are the best of all time.... yet people still claim he is despite recency bias and many never seeing him. I genuinely cannot imagine how good he must have been to watch in his prime (in a good way)

Off the pitch he didn't seem all that great but again, I never really looked into it/cared so can't say what he was actually like. From the sounds of it, it's surprising he made it this long.

All I know is, he will always be remembered. His clips, pictures, interviews will always be shown.

Condolences to his family and friends

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Horrible news. Football world lost a character. RIP.

redshaw

Sorry to hear about his death, may he rest in peace.

Even as a young English lad in the 80s I thought he was the best footballer and still think that. Scored the goal of the century and had a special aura, I still love watching the footage from that era.

Goal from kick off.

Last edited:

Paxi

Just how good was he? This should be an appreciation thread to celebrate his life and career imo.

Didn't he singlehandedly take Napoli to Serie A when it was in its pomp? Love to see Messi do that. GOAT achievement for me.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Man, I never expected him to leave the world at this time. I know that everything eventually comes to an end, but even then, this is too soon for me.

I hope he's well-remembered. He may have been flawed, but he was a genius on the pitch. He left us with tons of memorable moments, and I hope that he gets solid tributes from everyone in the game.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I never saw him play but everyone waxes lyrical about him. The fact people still do and consider him one of the greatest of all time, if not the best speakers volumes. He has a legacy and imprinted into all people's minds - whether you saw him or not and thats incredible. We have seen many great players we think are magicians but other than Ronaldo/Messi, nobody says they are the best of all time.... yet people still claim he is despite recency bias and many never seeing him. I genuinely cannot imagine how good he must have been to watch in his prime (in a good way)

Off the pitch he didn't seem all that great but again, I never really looked into it/cared so can't say what he was actually like. From the sounds of it, it's surprising he made it this long.

All I know is, he will always be remembered. His clips, pictures, interviews will always be shown.

Condolences to his family and friends
He was part of that tiny percentage of players who could bend a game to their will, no matter the occasion or how high the stakes. Peerless dribbler, quick, strong, technically incredible, great left foot, decent leap on him (relative to his height), scored and made goals, total winner, bit nasty when needed and absolutely indomitable. Plus he had that x factor - he always ended up being talked about - for both good and bad reasons - after the game.

He's a big part of the reason I ended up loving football and the first person I think of when the conversation about all-time greats comes up.

Paxi

He was the first player I have ever heard of. Remember my late grandfather telling me about him when I was doing my first keepy-ups. A true inspiration.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Just how good was he? This should be an appreciation thread to celebrate his life and career imo.

Didn't he singlehandedly take Napoli to Serie A when it was in its pomp? Love to see Messi do that. GOAT achievement for me.
Napoli had several good players in their team (Ferrara, Alemao, Careca to name 3), but he was the real difference maker (sort of like Cantona for us). No one could handle him (and I mean no one). He made the best defenders around look average. His dynamism, close control, quickness on the ball, and extreme precision in his dribbling, passing, and shooting in so many different situations made him so tough to track.

He really was a special player. We're blessed to have seen Messi and C. Ronaldo in our time, but one can relate to Maradona with his outwardly passion and excitement for football. He will definitely be missed.

Member 113277

Adds nothing to the discussion
A cheat departs this mortal coil. I don't care how talented, still a cheat.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Mate just told me a story that Micky Hazard recounted in a pub a number of years ago.

Hazard played alongside him at Spurs and Maradona one one occasion did keepy uppy perfectly with his left while signing autographs:lol:

Paxi

Napoli had several good players in their team (Ferrara, Alemao, Careca to name 3), but he was the real difference maker (sort of like Cantona for us). No one could handle him (and I mean no one). He made the best defenders around look average. His dynamism, close control, quickness on the ball, and extreme precision in his dribbling, passing, and shooting in so many different situations made him so tough to track.

He really was a special player. We're blessed to have seen Messi and C. Ronaldo in our time, but one can relate to Maradona with his outwardly passion and excitement for football. He will definitely be missed.
Cheers for that. Must have been something, watching him play. Never had the pleasure, unfortunately.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
By the way, if you guys haven't watched this already, this is one of the best documentaries biopics I have ever seen (and probably the best Maradona documentary film ever in my opinion): Maradona: The Hand of God

Despite being from 2007, this documentary biopic covers his whole life and was also quite relevant when I watched it in 2010. I think I might just rewatch this tonight.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I just heard this. Rest in peace to one of the greatest footballers ever.
Can't quite believe it, just 60 :(

croadyman

Expect Rio to be a bit emotional when talking about him whether that is tonight or next week against PSG because always remember him saying that was his childhood football idol and same with Wazza as well

poleglass red

first world cup I really watched with interest was Mexico 86, fecking hell he was sublime in that, absolutely different level as a player.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Mate just told me a story that Micky Hazard recounted in a pub a number of years ago.

Hazard played alongside him at Spurs and Maradona one one occasion did keepy uppy perfectly with his left while signing autographs:lol:
That's brilliant! :)

Himannv

Mind blown. Didn't expect this although I knew he had been hospitalized. Terrible news. The footballing world truly lost a magician today and this year has really sucked big time. RIP.

Can7onA

I'm not old enough to have seen Pele, Best, Cruyff, Eusebio et al.

But I did see Diego Maradona and he was an absolute joy to watch, my GOAT and always has been.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
By the way, if you guys haven't watched this already, this is one of the best documentaries I have ever seen (and probably the best Maradona documentary ever in my opinion): Maradona: The Hand of God

Despite being from 2007, this documentary covers his whole life and was also quite relevant when I watched it in 2010. I think I might just rewatch this tonight.
Thanks for that, I watched the recent film, but will give this a watch.

Sad times. We joke about passion sometimes, but he had that in spades and the talent to go with it.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Cheers for that. Must have been something, watching him play. Never had the pleasure, unfortunately.
Yeah, I wish I could have watched him regularly, too. :(

My previous post was based on a his stellar performance against Sacchi's AC Milan in 1988 (I think?). Sachhi went with a more defensive setup to deal with Napoli, and even then, he caused them lots of problems.

RedDevil@84

A big big character whose fame and love goes worldwide.
I have seen his life size posters and cardboard cutouts put in remote parts of south India during WC 2018. The man was loved like no other.