Diogo Costa Porto keeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Surprised by how many people think we should prioritise other positions this summer. For me, GK is second priority behind CF as we need to start being able to play out from the back if we want to control games. If Costa fits the bill then pay the fee. We can't be kicking the can down the road for another year if we have ambitions beyond top 4.
It's simple, to play other out from the back requires more than just a capable goalkeeper, we don't have the players or the structure to do so, it's a question of priorities and what comes first, a top striker is number one, no matter how we play without one we're going nowhere, without Casemiro we will struggle so we need a capable deputy, those are needed way more than a GK IMO

Gaidal

Second biggest priority this summer, and we have a keeper that is already better than De Gea at everything and has the potential to be one of the best in the world. Porto need money so we should be able to get the price down a bit. It is a no brainer for maybe 50 million + add ons.

OleGunnar20

Second biggest priority this summer, and we have a keeper that is already better than De Gea at everything and has the potential to be one of the best in the world. Porto need money so we should be able to get the price down a bit. It is a no brainer for maybe 50 million + add ons.
Agreed. This guy alongside a quality Striker would transform us I think. The likes of Rabiot on a free would be workable as midfield reinforcements for a year at least.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

It's simple, to play other out from the back requires more than just a capable goalkeeper, we don't have the players or the structure to do so, it's a question of priorities and what comes first, a top striker is number one, no matter how we play without one we're going nowhere, without Casemiro we will struggle so we need a capable deputy, those are needed way more than a GK IMO
Our outfield players are no worse than the likes of Brighton and Fulham at receiving the ball under pressure. The reason those teams are able to play out from the back is because they have a GK who is capable with the ball at his feet.

Nickelodeon

I genuinely have no idea, (hence the question) but I would expect a PL club would charge us more than a foreign one for a player of similar quality.
Don't think Raya, even without the contract situation, is rated as a 30-40+ million keeper. With one year remaining, 15-20 million seems like a likely fee for him whoever he goes to.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Our outfield players are no worse than the likes of Brighton and Fulham at receiving the ball under pressure. The reason those teams are able to play out from the back is because they have a GK who is capable with the ball at his feet.
If that's the case why do half our fanbase want to buy their players?

SAF is the GOAT

Porto fan here. You can definitely get him for lower than that(reported 65m pounds). We need the money and he is easily the only player we can get good money with as most of every one else are either old(er) or with their contracts up. And while abola is not a very reliable source, it is almost a given that he is gone. When the last match ended he was seen hugging Conceição and crying , one can say it is because we lost the league but I think it was more so an emotional good bye moment because theres chances both are gone this summer.
As a goal keeper, he is easily the best in the league and one of the most promising in the world. He has no real weakness and has so many strenghts. Much like when Dalot was announced he was coming to United, I hope Diogo does too. United is my second team on pair with Porto and since there's no chance we can keep him, might as well go to a team I like
I was just discussing that in a group chat with friends. Our financial situation is a huge mess. Yes his release clause is at 75M but I think you can get him in the 50-55M range because we really need to make money. We wasted quite alot of money on players that didn't even get play time this year and we're losing some players for free so there might be a bit of a push back from us at first too. One thing I genuinely think we might be open to accept is to have Telles coming back in the deal. We have zero, and I really mean it, ZERO, decent full backs and while Telles wasn't great for you, he was amazing for us and he would still be a decent player for us and an upgrade.

I understand Telles is a shell of himself but that would still be better than whoever and whatever we have right now. Maybe coming back would also be nice for him.

Last edited:

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Plenty want to buy Brighton's though
Cool. I can name other teams who are able to successfully play out from the back and hardly any of their outfield players would get in our team. A GK is the most important element in playing out from the back and our GK has some of the worst passing stats in the league.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The only player United fans want from Brighton who is influential in their build up phase is Caicedo.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Because according to some on redcafe hes the worse keeper in the league and only won the golden gloves award this season because of the defence in front of him.
I don't understand how anyone cannot see how DDG is holding the team back at this point. A new GK is second only to a striker.

croadyman

I don't understand how anyone cannot see how DDG is holding the team back at this point. A new GK is second only to a striker.
Still say that midfielder edges it just,however it would definitely be next on my list after that

dinostar77

I’m one of those who’d rather De Gea didn’t stay, I think he’s one of the three major problems with the team (lack of goal-scoring CF and controlling CM being the others). I don’t know for sure if Costa is the right guy to replace him or worth €75m, but I’d be very happy to see us pay that much for the right keeper ahead of a new RB or CB.
We know De Gea is staying as ETH said so much and was quoted.

I get hes not the ball playing keeper for the long term, but when you have a finite budget, you prioritise and a no 9 and no 8 are way higher in the importance list than replacing the keeper who just won the golden gloves.

croadyman

We know De Gea is staying as ETH said so much and was quoted.

I get hes not the ball playing keeper for the long term, but when you have a finite budget, you prioritise and a no 9 and no 8 are way higher in the importance list than replacing the keeper who just won the golden gloves.
Problem is that number 8 seems to be Mount

keithsingleton

1. Why do they need to come in before a goalkeeper? The window runs until September - the order that the players are purchased in is of no significance.
  2. I am sure you are welcome to discuss those players in the relevant thread(s).
Simply because the funds will run out before we can have a luxury player of another keeper.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Why does half the fanbase want to buy Moises Caicedo? Because he’s fecking fantastic, are we only allowed to have 1 good player for each position?
No of course not but my response is to the statement that our current players are as good as Brighton's and Fulham's

Rossa

Cool. I can name other teams who are able to successfully play out from the back and hardly any of their outfield players would get in our team. A GK is the most important element in playing out from the back and our GK has some of the worst passing stats in the league.
That's a half truth. DDG is not responsible for Maguire and Lindelof not being able to string passes together that move quicker than two miles per hour. Martinez deals with it no problem. Nor is he responsible for some of the branfarts of Casemiro (Big fan of Casemiro, but he does have some terrible passes from time to time - as did Scholes, mind you). Yes, he is without a doubt culpable in how poor we are from playing out from the back. However, he is not responsible for how the defenders pass the ball forwards. That's giving him too much credit or discredit. We move the ball so slowly, be it from goalie to defender, or from defender to midfield and so on. It's like they think you can pass the ball as slowly as you want as long as it is directed at your teammate.

Alemar

According to Fbref, Costa ranks in the top 73rd percentile for stopping crosses, Maignan is in the top 76th percentile.
Well, it’s reasonably good then and at least a significant improvement in this regard.

Valencia Shin Crosses

That's a half truth. DDG is not responsible for Maguire and Lindelof not being able to string passes together that move quicker than two miles per hour. Martinez deals with it no problem. Nor is he responsible for some of the branfarts of Casemiro (Big fan of Casemiro, but he does have some terrible passes from time to time - as did Scholes, mind you). Yes, he is without a doubt culpable in how poor we are from playing out from the back. However, he is not responsible for how the defenders pass the ball forwards. That's giving him too much credit or discredit. We move the ball so slowly, be it from goalie to defender, or from defender to midfield and so on. It's like they think you can pass the ball as slowly as you want as long as it is directed at your teammate.

Except our first choice team actually progresses the ball pretty well from the back. The issue is unless you want your defenders forcing passes, they need to be able to play it back to the keeper and reset the spacing on the pitch to drag the opposition forward. But when we do this it’s essentially ceding possession. Trust me you’ll see a lot of it against City, and very little will be because Lindelof can’t pass properly (he’s actually a decent ball player)

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Except our first choice team actually progresses the ball pretty well from the back. The issue is unless you want your defenders forcing passes, they need to be able to play it back to the keeper and reset the spacing on the pitch to drag the opposition forward. But when we do this it’s essentially ceding possession. Trust me you’ll see a lot of it against City, and very little will be because Lindelof can’t pass properly (he’s actually a decent ball player)
It would help if they didn't all stand like statues awaiting the opposition to get into position, half the problem is we're too slow.

IMO a lot of the issues we have from playing out from the back is because we faff about with this little pass to DDG from the CB or FB whilst there are 2-3 of the opposition waiting on the 18 yard line to cut off the angles

jesperjaap

Agree, he is only partly responsible. All this the keeper is the most important player playing the ball out and progressing it from the back, nonsense if you asl me and we have seen proof of it with Lindelof and Maguire the last few years. We have seen some big errors from both this season when they are not comfortable. It doesnt matter how good the keeper is, if the centre backs are not comfortable with the ball under any pressure the system fails too.

Obviously DeGea's weaknesses with his feet hinder us, but we need players in front tht dont hidner us too. Whenever Lindelof or/and Maguire play we are so much weaker in possesion at the back and slower moving the ball, anothe rbig reason probabl why Ten Hag tried Shaw there.

Think we are looking too much at individuals and there weaknesses and not enough at the team and more imortantly the squad.

I dont know very much at all about Costa to be honest, only from the world cup where he had a stinker, but if he is costing £60m that is a huge cunk of money when our first team also need a striker and number eight.....even more so than a keeper and realistically it also need a big improvement in the squad in terms of a back up centre back and striker at the very least.

I personally was 50/50 on DeGea staying, mainly as I don tthink the premiershpi based young keepers are ready to be the number one here, a few are ready to be number 2, but probably too costly as well. Not seen enough foreign footbal this last season. The one keeper I did really like was the Belgium one....but he is going to Leipzig next season. There must surely be good young modern keepers who can come in as a number two and develop and even challengs DeGea this season for the numbe rone spot at a fraction of the cost of Costa? He seemt to be the only name constantly mentioned, but have heard Vicario and Yehvann Diouf mentioned a few times, never really on here though and they seem to be 1/3 the price of Costa. Obviously dont know how they compare as barely seen any of them....but even so a signing like them and going for a big keeper in a season or two when our squad is more complete doesnt sound bad to me if doesnt work out. I dont see many teams actually going in for Costa if he is so costly. Most of the big sides have big keepers already and not many others aer spending that kind of money for a keeper

Status
Not open for further replies.