Diogo Costa Porto keeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Personally I don't believe we have enough funds to pursue so many targets over so many positions this summer.

CM - Mount (60m?)
FW - Kane or Hojlund (60m-80m)
CB - Kim Min Jae (50m?)

That would be 170-190m already.

Don't forget we are still being link with a RB (Frimpong), plus another striker (one experience, one young), so that could cost us another 80m or so (overall 250m+)

Isn't that we only have a budget of around 120m or so? Even if we do manage to sell a few players for 70-80m (lets just be realistic), we are still short to pursue an expensive keeper for say 40-50m.
I thought the RB rumours had been killed for this summer at least

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Ahh man, I hope we can still sign him

Hanky panky

Doesn't need to mean anything. We all know he wants to go to bigger club and league sooner or later. And get that big paycheck. Players like to stay polite in scenario where clubs can't get the deal done and they will/have to stay. If he gets a right offer and clubs can find agreement, he will move.

Alfie092

Nowhere near the shot-stopping ability of DDG, which is the bread & butter of a GK.

Much rather we give DDG a new deal. Not an urgent position we need to fix at all.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Nowhere near the shot-stopping ability of DDG, which is the bread & butter of a GK.

Much rather we give DDG a new deal. Not an urgent position we need to fix at all.
?

sepulturite

Mate I love DDG, but it's been so obvious from the end of our season how much we need a ball playing goalkeeper.

Matson

After the fa cup final even his shot stopping doesn't seem that great anymore.

Oranges038

You're here all week?
Bit of context here.

A few mins ago.

This an hour and a half ago.

If ETH and us as a club are serious and ruthless enough, we get rid of DDG. No excuses.

His contract is up, is on crazy wages, doesn't suit modern football, age is against him and is clearly on a decline. If those reasons are not enough for ETH to get rid then I will start to have my doubts about him in terms of his plans going forward and what he is trying to build.

We can literally end this mess with a press of a button with his contract up! Guardiola and Arteta quickly rectified the GK situation with getting a modern GK and ETH needs to follow the same path.

If DDG was at another top club he would have been shifted out by now without a doubt. Him being like the 100th choice GK for Spain, under several managers too, with no Spanish fans complaining says it all.
2 mins later.

He needs to leave, not just for us but for the better of his career. Not over the top at all.

Oranges038

Yeah my opinions have changed since. I'm allowed, just like anyone else to do that.
In fairness going from he just needs to go to wanting to give him a new contract in 90s mins, it just doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense.

Alfie092

In fairness going from he just needs to go to wanting to give him a new contract in 90s mins, it just doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense.
I'd rather give a new contract to DDG than sign Costa. I want a new GK but not just any GK who is worse!

Teja

Yeah my opinions have changed since. I'm allowed, just like anyone else to do that.
On a scale of 0 to 10 on how hard your knee has jerked, you're probably at a Todd Boehly :lol:

zaafi

I'd rather give a new contract to DDG than sign Costa. I want a new GK but not just any GK who is worse!
Do you not want Costa because he's a bit prone to mistakes or what is the reason?

Because De Gea made a lot of mistakes this season, and generally he always has.
Signing Costa would make us a lot better at build up from the back while also thinking long term.

Rake

Not disheartened by the news. Have go agree with the posters that say he is overrated. Happened to watch 3-4 Porto games after the WC and can't say that he is an excellent shot stopper or that assured in possession.

He is young and he might develop into a top keeper but at 70-80 mil Porto would have fleeced us.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Not worth the price tag, as many Portuguese fellas here already told. He has potential, but he's levels bellow what a top club needs. On the other hand, José Sá who actually coudln't even make into Porto's bench is now playing at Wolves, so who knows? Premier League success is a strange place: players like Jota, Boly, Neves, Podence, Toti and Jimenez were quite average players on the Portuguese league and somehow they made it in the Premier League.

Deco10Legend

Supports
Fc Porto
Jota was fine for Porto, I remember being disappointed we couldn't buy him. Neves was too young then.
Boly and Sá were atrocious though.

But yeh Costa although good is not worth the price tag, but you always pay extra for young players with great potential, plus i think Jorge Mendes Is involved, so somebody is going to pay.

Last edited:

Tango80

I'm not mad on him for what he'd cost.

Not been that impressed whenever I've seen him + there's a million other alternatives

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I don't think anyone was ever going to pay his release clause, so we'll see where Porto look to raise funds first

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Bit of context here.

A few mins ago.

This an hour and a half ago.

2 mins later.
Aye, i had to double check that i wasn't confusing posters as i had just read that about EtH being weak minded and should be sacked for wanting to renew DDG and sign Mount. He sold us all nothing but dreams. Turns out it is the same poster now wanting to renew DDG.

daba

Give us Mehdi Taremi and Diogo Costa for the €75m and we have a deal.

jesperjaap

Romano made a very simple point on The United STand today.....

DeGeas contract talks re very advanced, it appears the club want him to stay and he wants to stay. If DeGea stays, its unlikely we spend £60m o a keeper, more likely we look for a cheaper young number two to compete.

Henderson is going, the natural reality is DeGea goes, get the wages off the books and we have to sign two keepers....or he stays and we look for a talented long term cheaper option.

I am 50/50 either way. DeGea overall has had a decent season despite his limitations....but his recent form is really alarming as it harks back to two years ago. We do need a modern keeper, that is obvious but we need 2 or other positions more and I know little about Costa, but I am leaning more towards the staying on a short term contract IF he accepts a much lower wage and buying a younger keeper....but I think that power is in our hands. The fact his contract has ran down and nobody seems heavily linked let alone has made moves to talk to him is quite telling

Status
Not open for further replies.