Diogo Costa Porto keeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
@jesperjaap

Besides not being good with his feet when we are pressed high up - which isn't mitigated by Maguire being poor, and Lindelof historically (though he was pretty good partnered with either Varane or Shaw) it's far from his only serious limitation. He's extremely poor in commanding his box. And he does not allow our team to push up enough as he rarely goes off his line. All of these things together suggest that we might be far better tactically with a keeper who can handle these things.

My preference was for him to not get a new deal, but I do think a new #1 is as big a priority as addressing the midfield, after of course getting in a striker. All of these areas seem to me absolutely crucial if the team is supposed to be more than just functional, but highly capable.

There's also a reason Martinez was taking the goal kicks. How common is that?

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Agree, he is only partly responsible. All this the keeper is the most important player playing the ball out and progressing it from the back, nonsense if you asl me and we have seen proof of it with Lindelof and Maguire the last few years. We have seen some big errors from both this season when they are not comfortable. It doesnt matter how good the keeper is, if the centre backs are not comfortable with the ball under any pressure the system fails too.
It does rely somewhat on the defenders being competent, however the keeper is by far the most important player when playing out from the back. You're not telling me that Tim Ream and Tosin Adarabioyo are better ball playing CBs than Lindelof and Maguire. The reason why Fulham are capable of progressing the ball out from the back is because of Leno's passing ability.

Oranges038

It does rely somewhat on the defenders being competent, however the keeper is by far the most important player when playing out from the back. You're not telling me that Tim Ream and Tosin Adarabioyo are better ball playing CBs than Lindelof and Maguire. The reason why Fulham are capable of progressing the ball out from the back is because of Leno's passing ability.
Composure on the ball and the passing ability of the keeper is the key component of setting up like that. You could have the best ball playing CB in the world, but if the keeper isn't good enough on the ball it just will not work.

If it wasn't so key, Pep wouldn't have gotten rid of Hart as soon as he landed at City.

All it is when it comes to Utd is fan sentimentality, DDG has been here so long that some just don't want to face the reality that he's just not good enough and needs to be moved on.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I'd love him here but it feels like it's just Portuguese media nonsense. Every summer they link us with a specific player that the English media doesn't say a word about.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Composure on the ball and the passing ability of the keeper is the key component of setting up like that. You could have the best ball playing CB in the world, but if the keeper isn't good enough on the ball it just will not work.

If it wasn't so key, Pep wouldn't have gotten rid of Hart as soon as he landed at City.

All it is when it comes to Utd is fan sentimentality, DDG has been here so long that some just don't want to face the reality that he's just not good enough and needs to be moved on.
Agreed.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
The potencial is there, but still a lot of improvement needed. Needs to keep focused all the time, and he's actually very decent passing with his feet. Depending on the transfer value, it can be a good or a bad deal.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
The potencial is there, but still a lot of improvement needed. Needs to keep focused all the time, and he's actually very decent passing with his feet. Depending on the transfer value, it can be a good or a bad deal.
Agreed.

I think he's a bit overrated but there's some potential. I was not very impressed by his WC performances but he did bounce back. Still prone to concentration lapses.

If he is signed, patience will be needed.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If the Portuguese fans don’t rate him then I’m okay without him.

Check up the Valencia Georgian GK.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

That's a half truth. DDG is not responsible for Maguire and Lindelof not being able to string passes together that move quicker than two miles per hour. Martinez deals with it no problem. Nor is he responsible for some of the branfarts of Casemiro (Big fan of Casemiro, but he does have some terrible passes from time to time - as did Scholes, mind you). Yes, he is without a doubt culpable in how poor we are from playing out from the back. However, he is not responsible for how the defenders pass the ball forwards. That's giving him too much credit or discredit. We move the ball so slowly, be it from goalie to defender, or from defender to midfield and so on. It's like they think you can pass the ball as slowly as you want as long as it is directed at your teammate.
If only our defenders were able to move quicker than two miles per hour, they would've been able to prevent De Gea from kicking the ball to a City player or out for a throw-in almost every time he had the ball today.

Enough of these Costa links, let's prioritise signing a 3rd choice CB. That ought to ensure De Gea learns how to pass a ball.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Get him on a plane, bring him back from Portugal, viva Diogo Costa.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
If the Portuguese fans don’t rate him then I’m okay without him.

Check up the Valencia Georgian GK.
He's okay, I'm just not sure he's United material. Like I said, he has potential but still needs to evolve and get more experience. His performances in the WC showed that. Much more pressure at United.

If United wants to move on from De Gea and play for the top competitions, you need an established top class goalkeeper. Not sure Diogo Costa is at that level yet.

RopersReturn

Sure we could just as easily buy him, DDG is yesterday’s hero. We need to stop trying to paper over the cracks all the time.

RopersReturn

Raya + Pavard + Rabiot + Mount + Kane = SJR ?
Not too dissimilar from a wish list mentioned the other day, although I’m sure Kane has set his sights on a move to Real Madrid, plus his demands would be stratospheric. Would suggest looking at Rasmus Højlund as an alternative.

The Oracle

No

We already have a goalkeeper who has conceded 5 goals at home to Liverpool in a match, why would we want to replace him with another keeper with that same record on their CV too ??

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
No

We already have a goalkeeper who has conceded 5 goals at home to Liverpool in a match, why would we want to replace him with another keeper with that same record on their CV too ??
Yeah, this is the true metric of goalkeeper performance.

Danny Ward only conceded a couple. Let's get after him :drool:

The Oracle

Yeah, this is the true metric of goalkeeper performance.

Danny Ward only conceded a couple. Let's get after him :drool:
I was thinking more David Raya:
- Premier League proven
- Good with his feet
- Available for a reasonable fee with just a year left on his contract, and that will free up funds towards a striker and midfielder.

Nick7

I was thinking more David Raya:
- Premier League proven
- Good with his feet
- Available for a reasonable fee with just a year left on his contract, and that will free up funds towards a striker and midfielder.
Brentford are asking for £40m for him apparently.

RopersReturn

With UCL guaranteed for us next season, I’m sure either Costa or Raya would jump at the opportunity of a move to a bigger club.

Andersonson

Doesnt Costa have troubles with his nerves on big games? I've only watched him during the WC, and he looked terrified

Deco10Legend

Supports
Fc Porto
Doesnt Costa have troubles with his nerves on big games? I've only watched him during the WC, and he looked terrified
He is still a bit green but that’s a bit much.
Only mistakes in big games I remember him doing was against Liverpool in the CL and that goal in the WC.

The kid saved 3 crucial penalties in a row in the CL which allowed Porto to go through.

Is prone to some mistakes here and there, but usually he comes with game winning saves pretty often. He reminds me a bit of Allison.

Of course for 75€ I hope you take him.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Personally I don't believe we have enough funds to pursue so many targets over so many positions this summer.

CM - Mount (60m?)
FW - Kane or Hojlund (60m-80m)
CB - Kim Min Jae (50m?)

That would be 170-190m already.

Don't forget we are still being link with a RB (Frimpong), plus another striker (one experience, one young), so that could cost us another 80m or so (overall 250m+)

Isn't that we only have a budget of around 120m or so? Even if we do manage to sell a few players for 70-80m (lets just be realistic), we are still short to pursue an expensive keeper for say 40-50m.

Rolaholic

Only mistakes in big games I remember him doing was against Liverpool in the CL and that goal in the WC.

The kid saved 3 crucial penalties in a row in the CL which allowed Porto to go through.

Is prone to some mistakes here and there, but usually he comes with game winning saves pretty often. He reminds me a bit of Allison.

How is he with the ball at his feet/distribution?

mu4c_20le

That bad huh..

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018

Well look, for 75 quid, it's a no-brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.