5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

Abraxas

He played over 30 games for the first team despite being injured the first 3 months of the season he signed. But sure, he wasnt signed for the first team. :houllier:

Stop rewriting history just because it doesn’t suit your narrative.

Other clubs would have slapped a sell on clause fee and moved him on after 3 years. We got lucky our incompetence finally paid off on him.
So if incompetence was keeping a young player here and seeing him improve his performances to an acceptable standard (I'm not going to go overboard based on a season) - then what would the competence rating of selling him in his early 20s and seeing him show the same improvement at another club have been? Then having a sell on clause for whatever exorbitant figure as compensation for our bad decision which would then require a substantial fee to obtain the services of a fella we sold when his value was low?

You've found a very weird way to spin things - there isn't a way to win through the lens in which you are viewing it.

The fact is...yes the club has been generally incompetent, but it doesn't mean every single decision or event features incompetence. That's now how things work - we get more wrong than we get right, or at least the biggest things we get wrong which overshadows everything else, we don't have to micromanage every event and see incompetence in it all.

jesperjaap

I think you're going to be quite surprised when we get another RB and they end up playing second fiddle to Dalot in the same way people were surprised when we bought LBs who they thought would replace Shaw only for his quality to become even more evident.
Always rated Shaw, never joined the sell him bandwagon as frustrating as he was for period. Never rated Dalot. I rated Bissaka....but now neither have imroved there frailties significantly enough to warrant being a starter for the club to progress. May bethe minority but firstly will almost certainly be dissapointed we sell Bissaka over Dalot.....and enraged if we sign a RB that isnt good enough to start over Dalot

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
So if incompetence was keeping a young player here and seeing him improve his performances to an acceptable standard (I'm not going to go overboard based on a season) - then what would the competence rating of selling him in his early 20s and seeing him show the same improvement at another club have been? Then having a sell on clause for whatever exorbitant figure as compensation for our bad decision which would then require a substantial fee to obtain the services of a fella we sold when his value was low?

You've found a very weird way to spin things - there isn't a way to win through the lens in which you are viewing it.

The fact is...yes the club has been generally incompetent, but it doesn't mean every single decision or event features incompetence. That's now how things work - we get more wrong than we get right, or at least the biggest things we get wrong which overshadows everything else, we don't have to micromanage every event and see incompetence in it all.
Because it’s a fact that having to wait for nearly 6 years before a first team player starts performing at an acceptable standard is just a bad investment. If he turns out world class, that’s fine but he’s merely performing at an acceptable level.

Irwin99

Because it’s a fact that having to wait for nearly 6 years before a first team player starts performing at an acceptable standard is just a bad investment. If he turns out world class, that’s fine but he’s merely performing at an acceptable level.
I hold my hand up and say that before last season I just never saw anything that impressive with Dalot and couldn't really see what he was good at but I think the first half of last season he was clearly improving, and I remember being quite shocked by his performance at OT against Liverpool. AwB took his place in the second half of the season but last year wasn't a bad year from him and this one has been even better. Whether he'll ever be an elite player is another question, but for now i'm interested in seeing how it goes.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Was very good against Sheffield Utd but pretty anonymous today.

criticalanalysis

That was about as average as a performance as it was from Dalot, which is well below par his form of this year.

If this was his actual average game all year then I wouldn't have an issue with the people saying 'team is shite and therefore even though Dalot is amongst the better players, he's still average'. You only have to look at the AWB performance thread for some context.

We've had a few people say 'I prefer AWB for his 1-vs-1 defensive skills but I'll pick Dalot for now' begrudgingly type of comments. These same people will lament our shite team, talk about low standards, talk about poor ball progression and then lump Dalot with AWB as if they are interchangeable. Can't take these people seriously anymore with either bias or simplistic football takes.

Also, a lot got what they wished for with swapping AWB for Dalot at RB. There is no upside with AWB for any team that wants to play progressive football. He had his moment 3-4 years ago. Now we've taken Dalot away from his best position and got a double whammy of neutering one of our best/better players and playing a bad one in his place.

Based Adnan

Been punted out to the left to accomodate a clogger on the right instead of Amass being given a chance in dead rubber games

KjaAnd

Been punted out to the left to accomodate a clogger on the right instead of Amass being given a chance in dead rubber games
It’s insane. AWB is rubbish and should be sold. There’s no reason to play him. Yet, our clueless manager insists on doing so, hampering our best RB and robbing of the chance to see an exciting youth product.

jesperjaap

I agree with a lot of this post....but its only the fat the side has been so awful that he is getting plaudits and even yourself labelling his performances "acceptable"...as they atually wouldnt have been in atop side. There have still been plenty of erros and poor shoddy play from him too. I atually think Bissakas form earlier in the season was better but neither are good enough to be starters long term. If someone you are responding too thinkshecanbeome world class they are blinkered

NZT-One

An extremely quiet game for him today. I felt he was inverting into the midfield a lot less than normal, and in fact I'm really not sure what he was doing as he seemed to be involved so little.
Yeah I noticed that as well. I think, whatever the plan is in midfield, with all the tucking in and position changes and all that, it seems to be too much. At least twice in 1st half, Dalot was in the center, Eriksen next to him and Mainoo where I'd expect the left back. I get that those movements challenge the opposition assignment but I think, we are overdoing it and cause more harm to ourselves than the opponent from time to time.