Diouf Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
That's great, and, to me, very surprising news. I didn't expect him to get his work permit this soon. How do the deciders decide?

Would be nice to see him against Leeds and City then!
I think it's been mentioned previously that he'll be working closely with Ole in the reserves and it'll help to ease him into English football. I think it'll be next season before he starts making our squad but he's young and he's got plenty of time on his hands.

Laphroaig

I too would be surprised if he was given an important role within our squad but I wouldn't be surprised if he got a game or two before the season is over.

He can cope physically already, but of course he needs to get accostumed to the tempo of the English game.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That's great, and, to me, very surprising news. I didn't expect him to get his work permit this soon. How do the deciders decide?

Would be nice to see him against Leeds and City then!
First the club has to overcome the first major hurdle of making an enquiry that isn't tentative. After that, it all seems very straightforward.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Good to have a new face in the squad. Hard to see where he'll get PT in the short term. Maybe the semi with City is his best hope.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I'm being sarcastic, to be fair.

I don't know the specifics but I do know that if Diouf got a permit this quickly/easily then poor auld Phelan was sat in front of the cameras to feed us a really lame excuse in the press conference after we backed out of the Ljajic deal.

Transfer United Till I Die

I am totally in the know, honest

I don't know the specifics but I do know that if Diouf got a permit this quickly/easily then poor auld Phelan was sat in front of the cameras to feed us a really lame excuse in the press conference after we backed out of the Ljajic deal.
Could ljajics age have been an issue? I can't think of any eighteen year olds from minor European leagues getting work permits, can you? I'm not saying that's it but if we are going to draw conclusions we should have some corroberating evidence.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Could ljajics age have been an issue? I can't think of any eighteen year olds from minor European leagues getting work permits, can you? I'm not saying that's it but if we are going to draw conclusions we should have some corroberating evidence.
I think that young players are more prone to pass from the special talent clause then 22 year olds.

Amir

Why can't Diouf play against Leeds?
Probably can't be registered in time, as we can only do that at the start of January and the FA offices are probably closed on January 1.

I mentioned to a scouse friend today that we got a work permit for Diouf. He just said it was another one of the little favours we get every season.

Ekeke

Probably can't be registered in time, as we can only do that at the start of January and the FA offices are probably closed on January 1.

I mentioned to a scouse friend today that we got a work permit for Diouf. He just said it was another one of the little favours we get every season.
Well its not like Liverpool's reserve side is choc full of young foreigners... oh wait

Anderson was 19 when he got is.
Yeah and already played in a big European league, although I appreciate he had been injured. He was also brazilian, which I imagine helps. I'm not being obtuse, I just can't think of any other 18 year olds getting permits. Vela couldn't a he was hyped to the heavens.

Ekeke

Yeah and already played in a big European league, although I appreciate he had been injured. He was also brazilian, which I imagine helps. I'm not being obtuse, I just can't think of any other 18 year olds getting permits. Vela couldn't a he was hyped to the heavens.
He also played a few times for his country. Perhaps even fast-tracked to make sure he got his permit. He played in a couple of friendlies.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I can't think of any 18 years olds either but I doubt there's a cut off, in terms of age at 19 years old. That wouldn't make sense. Under 18 maybe. Not under 19. That wouldn't fit with any legal age distinctions.

As for the Anderson comparison he had played in a bigger league but Diouf is playing in fecking Norway. If they're judging whether or not someone is a special talent, surely an 18 year old playing CL football is considerably more special than someone playing in the Noggy league?

I can't think of any 18 years olds either but I doubt there's a cut off, in terms of age at 19 years old. That wouldn't make sense. Under 18 maybe. Not under 19. That wouldn't fit with any legal age distinctions.

As for the Anderson comparison he had played in a bigger league but Diouf is playing in fecking Norway. If they're judging whether or not someone is a special talent, surely an 18 year old playing CL football is considerably more special than someone playing in the Noggy league?
I'm not talking about what should be but what is. There are no other examples. Vela coulnt get one for two years despite being one of the most highly rated youngsters in world football. It might not be right but it's how it seems to work. And diouf has played international football, which may tick a box.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Genuinely surprised by the news, he has only 1 cap for senegal and played in a average league(with due respect). As Pogue has already said, the reason which was given for Ljajic's failed transfer is now looking even more idiotic after this.

Berlinknives

John Obi Mikel was playing in fecking Norway and so was Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, while Jordi Cruyft (Barcelona) and Djemba-Djemba (Nantes) played in the Champions League around the age of 18. A great measure of class that one.

Great news regarding his work permit. He came to us cheaply and hopefully we can develop him into a very useful striker. There is no telling how far he can go at this club but im excited to see him given a chance. He comes highly recommended by Solksjaer and that kind of praise is not given lightly.

Did Senegal qualify for the ACN?
I read that they didnt. So good news for us.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Holy feck, he got the work permit.. That'll teach me for driving for 6 hours. Shit The one is here!!!!

Gambit

Why isn't the caf celeberating like mad?

Gambit

Seriously! what the feck is up with you people. This is the best christmas present ever.

Crustanoid

ouch..that still hurts

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
The one thing above all others that encourages me about this guy is that he's pretty damn good in the air. Would be good to have someone to get on the end of all these crosses we keep delivering.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
The one thing above all others that encourages me about this guy is that he's pretty damn good in the air. Would be good to have someone to get on the end of all these crosses we keep delivering.
This is one of the reasons I'm glad he got his permit. He could provide a threat in the air that we've been lacking all season. We've scored, what, 1 goal from corners? Getting him on the end of crosses, corners, and free kicks should help us greatly. Rooney and Owen aren't exactly giants.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
This is one of the reasons I'm glad he got his permit. He could provide a threat in the air that we've been lacking all season. We've scored, what, 1 goal from corners? Getting him on the end of crosses, corners, and free kicks should help us greatly. Rooney and Owen aren't exactly giants.
Mame isn't exactly a giant either but his leap is remarkable. I'm pretty excited by this news for the simple reason that he'll offer us something very different. Like I said in another thread, his style is pretty Saha-esque. But only time will tell if he's able to take it to the next level.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
John Obi Mikel was playing in fecking Norway and so was Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, while Jordi Cruyft (Barcelona) and Djemba-Djemba (Nantes) played in the Champions League around the age of 18. A great measure of class that one.
It's an objective measure. You got a better one?

How hard they kick a football? How quick they run? I doubt the home office employs football scouts.

If they don't have much international experience the quality of the club they play for and the level at which they're playing can be used to help judge whether or not a player is a "special talent".

Dyslexic Untied

I doubt he is Elliot, sadly.

I just don't see that he has the class required to cut it at United. Would love to be proven wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.