Diouf Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
He can't be registered as a Man Utd player till the next transfer window right?. but he'd still be available for the reserve games i guess. Oh well, more false promises to Giri then, i'll get my feed only if i say nice things to that bugger.
I thought he already was our player, he was on loan to Molde after we signed him.

Chris H

Video Posting God
God your a miserable bastard this morning.
I can't sleep. It's someone else's fault.

And you misspelled "you're". Bannable offense in my opinion. Good spelling is the only thing that separates us from animals. Or RAWK.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I can't sleep. It's someone else's fault.

And you misspelled "you're". Bannable offense in my opinion. Good spelling is the only thing that separates us from animals. Or RAWK.
That and condoms.

RonaldoVII

I heard of work permit issues. If that's fine, he should theoretically be able to play for us now. Hopefully he'll get a few runs out in the reserves as I'm watching them in a couple of weeks.

jb8521

I heard of work permit issues. If that's fine, he should theoretically be able to play for us now. Hopefully he'll get a few runs out in the reserves as I'm watching them in a couple of weeks.
Cant be registered as our player or have a work permit sorted out until January so cant play for the club at any level until then

twitter thread suggester
From the Newbies:

Norwegian paper Dagbladet made another article about Mame Biram Diouf and his first week in Manchester. I won't bother translating the whole article, but here's some of it.

Molde manager Kjell Jonevret was last week in Manchester to see how Mame Biram Diouf are settling at his new club.

Yet it is not certain whether the 21-year-old will remain at United after new year, or whether he will be rented out to another club. But according to Jonevret the reigning Premier League champions have already decided to apply for a work permit for Diouf.

- Mame showed a lot of energy on the training field. It will be exciting to see what happens now. They take a decision in a couple of weeks, but has already decided to apply for a work permit. If Mame doesn't get it, there are many good clubs that are interested in a loan, said Jonevret to Dagbladet.

Talked to Fergie about Mame
- Did you talk much with Ferguson about Mame?

- We talked a bit about how I have used Mame in Molde. I said he was very hardworking, and that he was not only a great attacker, but also a good first defender. We have played with three men in the attack while United mostly play with two. With Mame you get a player with great movement, which is very good at exploiting the room behind opposition defence and a strong header of the ball both offensively and defensively, said Jonevret.

Differed from the rest
Jonevret was at Carrington training ground three times, and believes Diouf did well.

- He is in fact a type of striker they don't have. United have a lot of good attackers, but not many like Mame, who constantly are in motion. He differed slightly from the rest in training, in the sense that he was on his way in the back room the whole time so other players could easily turn the pass in there. The other strikers like Rooney and Berbatov are incredibly talented, but often prefer the ball on feet.

- I know that exactly this is one of the reasons that Ole Gunnar think Mame is interesting. And I think Ferguson will also discover that after a couple of weeks. We also saw an internal match in which those who were not travelling to the away game against Portsmouth played against the youth-team. What he did was classy, and it ended 2-2 and Mame scored both, says Jonevret.

Asked for trousers
- In Molde Mame was wearing two hats and trousers even in the summer. But at United it's almost forbidden to practice in long trousers. He had gone in to the material manager and asked if he was allowed to wear trousers, but he was not. But he's a first team player, so in the internal match against the youth-team, he was the only player wearing trousers, chuckles Jonevret.

Jonevret could also tell us that Mame was not afraid of showing dissatisfaction if he didn't get the ball when he clearly felt he should have it.

- It looked like he was part of the gang, but I guess he'll wait a few days before reprimanding Ryan Giggs, Jonevret assures.

Doogie

So we haven't applied for his work permit yet.

That's interesting to say the least.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
cancel the deal and save another couple of millions

it's the sensible thing to do surely as it's even more unlikely we get a work permit for him considering he's three years older than ljajic and he's got only 1 cap for senegal

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
cancel the deal and save another couple of millions

it's the sensible thing to do surely as it's even more unlikely we get a work permit for him considering he's three years older than ljajic and he's got only 1 cap for senegal
Well I think he will be able to get one considering he has 1 cap.. IMO Ljajic would have got a permit and there are other reasons as to why we didn't get him..

Lmarco

Sochaux (French club) are interested by Diouf. I presume they want him on loan

Amir

Exciting young striker Mame Biram Diouf will be available for selection in January after being granted a work permit.

The 22-year-old has impressed in training recently since signing in the summer from Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s former club Molde, for whom he has been playing on loan.

Diouf, who has made one appearance for the senior Senegal national side, is a powerful, direct frontman.

Given Sir Alex’s glowing appraisal, he may get a chance in the first team sooner rather than later, although he won’t be available for the FA Cup tie against Leeds on 3 January.

Sir Alex said earlier this month: “If you’re talking about value then you can look at our young boy Diouf.

"He’s been training with us and is looking very exciting. That’s the kind of situation we’re good at – finding young players who can develop at the club and at 21 years of age he’s looking very good.”

Diouf granted work permit - Manchester United Official Web Site

VoetbalWizard

Exciting young striker Mame Biram Diouf will be available for selection in January after being granted a work permit.

The 22-year-old has impressed in training recently since signing in the summer from Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s former club Molde, for whom he has been playing on loan.

Diouf, who has made one appearance for the senior Senegal national side, is a powerful, direct frontman.

Given Sir Alex’s glowing appraisal, he may get a chance in the first team sooner rather than later, although he won’t be available for the FA Cup tie against Leeds on 3 January.

Sir Alex said earlier this month: “If you’re talking about value then you can look at our young boy Diouf.

"He’s been training with us and is looking very exciting. That’s the kind of situation we’re good at – finding young players who can develop at the club and at 21 years of age he’s looking very good.”

Diouf granted work permit - Manchester United Official Web Site
SAF's been using the value line a bit too much lately.

however this is good, gives us another option and competition up top. who knows, the lad could be a revelation.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
SAF's been using the value line a bit too much lately.

however this is good, gives us another option and competition up top. who knows, the lad could be a revelation.
No mater how good he may become, how many trophies he may lead us to, he shall forever be in the shadow of " THE MAN", "THE BLACK PELE", "WHITE JESUS" MANUCHO.

On a more serious note, it'll be interesting to see if he's the unlikely answer to our striker problems. I mean the last unknown from Molde didn't work out too badly.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I'm hoping he can be a 'bargain' Saha.. fast, physical, movement and goals. or he could be another Manucho, I can't see him being middle ground.

Jacob

Granted work permit and available for selection in January, good news.

I know it has been mentioned, would like to bring him up for discussion again though.

MUFCgal

I'm anxious to see this lad play. It's fantastic news that he's been granted the work permit and he'll be available for us in just a few weeks, though it says he'll not be available for the Leeds game on the 3rd. I wonder if SAF will do with this guy what he did with Obertan and put him in the reserves for a few matches to see how he fits. But if the lad is impressing in training then feck it, I say stick him on the bench from the moment he's available and give him some minutes at the end of the match. If he's as good as SAF and Ole are saying, then throw him in the deep end and let's see how he goes.

RonaldoVII

I thought they only applied for his permit a week or two ago?

Didn't take long to get an answer. Makes you wonder why we didn't wait for a definitive answer for Ljajic.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Seems like it was a piece of piss getting a permit for Diouf.

Can anyone explain why this work permit was so straightforward to organise for Diouf but allegedly so difficult for Ljajic? Cause I have no idea. He hasn't enough senior caps and there's no fecking way he's more of a "special talent" than an 18 year old who's already playing regular CL football.

I mean, it's almost as though the ten million quid we would have had to cough up for Ljajic was the main reason our attempts to get a work permit were so fecking half-arsed. But that's just a crazy conspiracy theory, right?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
£10M for Ljalic? I'm glad the deal fell through
That's the figure quoted. Usually the maximum possible e.g. we would potentially pay £17m for Nani but actually paid a lot less up front

£10m might have turned out to be a bargain. Time will tell. Not a fecking hope of getting an established quality winger for that kind of wedge, that's for damn sure.

Devil_forever

That's the figure quoted. Usually the maximum possible e.g. we would potentially pay £17m for Nani but actually paid a lot less up front

£10m might have turned out to be a bargain. Time will tell. Not a fecking hope of getting an established quality winger for that kind of wedge, that's for damn sure.
But bringing in an established winger for more might serve our current situation better.

Amir

This shouldn't stop us taking a punt on long-term prospects though. At least, it hasn't stopped us in the past.
Things change. If we bring in another left winger, and have some faith in Obertan (which we obviously do) and Tosic (doubtful), plus you add Valencia in the mix, I'm not sure an expensive punt on a young winger would be in order. Obertan himself is only 20.

Devil_forever

Absolutely.

This shouldn't stop us taking a punt on long-term prospects though. At least, it hasn't stopped us in the past.
But like I said before, we do have a few good wide players already at the club and 2 seem to have completely stalled, while one will need playing time to realise his potential. Nani's and Tosic's situation might be the reason why SAF's decided to be more cautious, or we may genuinely think that we already have better options i.e. Obertan or Cleverly, no matter how hard that is to believe. I wouldn't put it past SAF to bring someone like Cleverly on next season and surprise us all.

Laphroaig

That's great, and, to me, very surprising news. I didn't expect him to get his work permit this soon. How do the deciders decide?

Would be nice to see him against Leeds and City then!

Status
Not open for further replies.