Film Disney's Aladdin [Live-Action Remake] 2019

Kapardin

It was excellent. The only reason it isn't getting overwhelmingly positive reviews is because of everyone banging on about how nobody can replace Robin Williams. Actually Will Smith was fantastic as the Genie, and if we didn't have a predecessor, we would be saying he nailed the role. The girl playing as Dalia was pretty amusing and had good comic timing in the few scenes she had.

Only a couple of weak points - the Sultan was a wooden plank as opposed to the exuberant old guy in the cartoon. I thought the lead actor did not have the cockiness or confidence that the cartoon Aladdin had, and played the part of an insecure guy instead, but that's ok since it doesn't have to be exactly the same. And I really didn't like the whole feminism angle and the sub-commentary about how women are fit to rule. Feminism is well and good (I agree with the general sentiment), but there is no need to promote it in each and every movie, and it would be better if they didn't touch the classics. Olden days were patriarchal, we need to accept that.

Jafar was underplayed, but that didn't matter due to the strength of the leads.

Songs were great and the soundtrack for the scene where Aladdin does a crazy dance was quite catchy. Overall, solid movie. Funny I had reservations about going since it was a story I already knew, and live action films aren't my cup of tea usually. But Will Smith really did a good job.

InfiniteBoredom

It’s a fictional place where there are magic lamp and carpet and sorcerer, and a sultan would allow his daughter to marry a street urchin, but clearly the feminism is a step too far.

And isn’t the only good that can come out of these live action remakes is that they are updated with changing sensibilities? Imagine bringing your daughter to watch The Little Mermaid and hear Ursula sings ‘it’s she who holds her tongue who gets a man’?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I hear it's very good. Looking forward to it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It’s a fictional place where there are magic lamp and carpet and sorcerer, and a sultan would allow his daughter to marry a street urchin, but clearly the feminism is a step too far.

And isn’t the only good that can come out of these live action remakes is that they are updated with changing sensibilities? Imagine bringing your daughter to watch The Little Mermaid and hear Ursula sings ‘it’s she who holds her tongue who gets a man’?
Underwater fishpeople society was patriarchal, you need to accept it. She's a mermaid, not a merperson dammit.

el3mel

Didn't watch but I'll be glad if it ended up being great. I was afraid it will flop and destroy Alaadin image.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
We took our four year old to see it yesterday and we all thoroughly enjoyed it. I wish that Disney didn’t thrust the feminist angle into our faces at every opportunity though.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Innit. For too long our preciously masculine Western culture has been blighted by the dangerous radical feminism of..... Disney Princesses.

Ady87

I begrudgingly went to see this because I know I need my girlfriend on side for X-Men and a couple of other films this month.

The first 20 minutes I was cringing, it then quickly got very enjoyable and I ended up really liking it, much to my horror haha.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
The men up there don't like a lot of blabber
They think a girl who gossips is a bore
Yet on land it's much preferred for ladies not to say a word
And after all dear, what is idle babble for?
Come on, they're not all that impressed with conversation
True gentlemen avoid it when they can
But they dote and swoon and fawn
On a lady who's withdrawn
It's she who holds her tongue who gets a man
Yuck.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Though Ursula is Mephistophelesia.

When Faust is promised "Brüderlich mit Herz und Hand! Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit" Goethe keeps us a step ahead; aware of the duplicity in the promise. Ursula too is presented as the trickster with manipulative words, untrustworthy and drawn in the Disney villainess style.

InfiniteBoredom

When Faust is promised "Brüderlich mit Herz und Hand! Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit" Goethe keeps us a step ahead; aware of the duplicity in the promise. Ursula too is presented as the trickster with manipulative words, untrustworthy and drawn in the Disney villainess style.
She literally spelt out the terms of contract to Ariel. It’s the little bint who is duplicitous, got her boyfriend to kill the witch so she can escape honoring the contract.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout

That's slightly more profound than.my 'Yuck'.

air_mood

Was alright. The Jafar they had is a little bit too tame though for my liking, not the imposing one we had in the cartoons.

reelworld

Saw it last week. I thought it's pretty good. Will Smith did really well taking on an iconic character and putting on his own spin on it. Mena Massoud was charming enough as the lead and I thought his chemistry with Naomi Scott was excellent

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Actually really enjoyed this one. Jafar aside, I felt it was very entertaining and there wasn't a dull moment. Obviously at time, it's difficult to capture the magic of the original, and some of the portrayal of those characters remain iconic in a way that these won't. But all in all, they did a good job.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
If you gave me 100 guesses as to who directed this film, I don’t think Guy Ritchie would’ve been among them.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I've enjoyed Beauty & the Beast and The Jungle Book a lot, but this time they really fecked up in my opinion. I can't even put my finger on it, but it just felt so off. Funnily enough the two things I've seen most people complain about before the movie came out (genie & jafar) were the only two things I felt was ok.

evil_geko

I've enjoyed Beauty & the Beast and The Jungle Book a lot, but this time they really fecked up in my opinion. I can't even put my finger on it, but it just felt so off. Funnily enough the two things I've seen most people complain about before the movie came out (genie & jafar) were the only two things I felt was ok.
I agree, it felt really off, I cringed at every song, can't come close to original songs. A big no from me on this one.

RedDevilRoshi

Went to see it with the Mrs last week and both of us really enjoyed it. Will Smith played the genie role really well.

Overall it was an enjoyable watch.

Really looking forward to the Lion King in July. My all-time childhood favourite :D

Big Andy

Bloke
I hate musicals and I’m not a fan of your traditional Disney fare, but I took the kids to watch this today and was pleasantly surprised by how much I actually enjoyed it...

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Saw it this afternoon and was presently surprised... Found it very enjoyable.

Some of the reviews I've seen from critics seem way off the mark. (Mostly just lamenting it's need to be made, rather then actually judging the film itself)

paulscholes18

I liked it to me it’s been the best live action remake so far. Will Smith was better than I thought he would be from the trailers but obviously he’s no Robin Williams

Cait Sith

Wife watched it, I didn't. She said they turned it into a Bollywood Movie.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
They should do a live action remake of cars, or Thomas the Tank engine. Otherwise, I'm not interested.

Sylar

Will Smith was great
Naomi Scott should be a bigger star than she is
The Aladdin actor had some charm about him and thought he did well

Agree that Jafar felt a little underwhelming but given the amount of screentime , wasn't an issue

Some of the reviews of this movie are weird especially when they don't judge what they see but rather other things

passing-wind

Will Smith was like the 2010 Rooney. Without him the whole thing is a failure.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Haven’t watched the other two but agree - it was off.. the songs felt weird as in guy playing Aladdin and Jasmine were very wooden in their song performances and couldn’t pull it off naturally.

Also thought there was too many songs in the film which diluted the brilliance of the good ones.

Will Smith was excellent but guy playing Jafar was hammy as feck and so feeble. Sultan was devoid of any personality. Quite liked the guy who played Aladdin but Jasmine wasn’t stunning enough IMO.

Overall 5/10.