Dispatches - Comedian exposé special

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Didn't he make his start masturbating men in pub toilets for news stories? The left wing radicalism the alt right heel turn, Sachs gate, the oversexed dandy character, the misconduct allegations, and the rest of it have all looked like different seasons of the same narcissistic spectacle that is the Russell Brand show. Whatever he was, it was always insincere.

stw2022

It’s definitely not referring to that Horse faced twat. I’ve seen it suggested on Twitter it might finally be that the Only Fool in comedy finally being outed.
That would piss me off. It's the only sitcom from era that still stands up today.

Heardy

Didn't he make his start masturbating men in pub toilets for news stories? The left wing radicalism the alt right heel turn, Sachs gate, the oversexed dandy character, the misconduct allegations, and the rest of it have all looked like different seasons of the same narcissistic spectacle that is the Russell Brand show. Whatever he was, it was always insincere.
Wait, what?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
People seem to be suggesting this is going to cause a mighty boosh

Trequarista10

Wait, what?
One of his early shows was a documentary on gay culture or the gay sex scene, and as part of it he gave a bloke a hand job in a public toilet.

I also thought he said he gave a bloke a blowjob for money to buy heroin as well, although I might have mixed him up with Super Hans on that one.

Last edited:

Ibi Dreams

Wait, what?
That was one episode he did on his early 2000s show RE:Brand

The most famous episode of it is the one where he hangs out with the leader of the youth BNP (he's a Nazi). Brand actually came across quite well in it, although it's not exactly hard to disagree with Nazism

LARulz

Unless it's the other one, this would be a surprise. Fellow comedians seem to love him and working with him, very much unlike Brand.
Yeah, I would be surprised as well. He's always come across generally a nice person and can tell by the people who seem to enjoy being on shows with him

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Wasn't there something about the boosh dating an underage peach?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Wasn't it the pixelated one and she was 16?

Not that it's much better of course, but it's a whole new ballgame to underage.
Oh yeah, looked it up and they were 16 and he was 33. Not underage but definitely elements of grooming to that story.

stw2022

A creepy albeit legal relationship isn't worthy of a TV special. And we're at least 20 years past 'might have done gay stuff' to be considered scandalous so surely it's not this.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I used to really like Brand. Thought he was funny, an idiot sure but still. His stand ups I liked and saw him live during the pandemic at Regents Park and was good. Went to see him filming with Jimmy Care and Katherine Ryan for that shit roast battle but he was good there

Since COVID though he became more of a view chaser and led him down this route. I don't know though if it's a case he was behind the scenes blacklisted so went down this route or other way around. You never see him on any popular shows he used to be on

As much as it annoys me, he has probably done the smart thing coming out early. He knows people's opinions of him now won't change, if you still support him then you are committed to his narrative and if you don't then this doc won't be anything more than confirmation/feeding your views. This way by coming out early he has let his mental conspiracy nuts defend him before any official accusation and done his best to undermine the doc. He's basically feeding his audience even more

Almost makes you wonder if this was always part of the plan when this all eventually came out. Basically ensures he has a group of fans who pay him
He gave up movie money and now he wants money but doesn't want to have to work for it.

stw2022

Ah I see.

You've still lumped it in with mainstream bland lowest common denominator type shows so even if you don't like it, it still doesn't belong there.
It's Trevor and Simon level humour

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Is he the only person being named then?
Watch Russell Brand: In Plain Sight: Dispatches at 9pm on Channel 4

Sounds like it, but could also be an agreement between Dispatches and The Sunday Times for TST to publish the article on Brand first in return for other names to be first mentioned on the Dispatches episode. I can see them making a 95 minute episode on the contents of the article alone though, there's a lot of stuff there.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Watch Russell Brand: In Plain Sight: Dispatches at 9pm on Channel 4

Sounds like it, but could also be an agreement between Dispatches and The Sunday Times for TST to publish the article on Brand first in return for other names to be first mentioned on the Dispatches episode. I can see them making a 95 minute episode on the contents of the article alone though, there's a lot of stuff there.
Possibly. Hardly a ‘mass expose of an obscene amount of high profile comedians’ if it’s just him.

Edit; unless they’re talking about people knowing and not speaking.

Smithy89

Are we shocked? Can't wait for the likes of David Williams, Noel Fielding and the likes to be next.