Dispatches - Comedian exposé special

NotThatSoph

He took on the establishment so they dug up dirt on him from 15 years ago?

It might well be true.

My main question is why now?
Now is because the investigation started three years ago, and it took three years.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.

It might well be true.

Your "main" question has already been answered over and over.

What should be your main question is why this is allowed to happen at all, as in sexual abuse and cover ups. All conspiracy shite can come later.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

It might well be true.

Maybe just maybe they have come to the conclusion of their investigation now?!?! Mental I know.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I watched his denial video and was surprised by how far gone he is ( I probably hadn't seen him since the Ed interview). The older Brand character was contrived and hallmarky but there were layers to the whimsical construction and he was always exuberant and witty/smart arsey. But all I can see now is dull, low effort pandering to idiots. He refers to a comment below one of his videos that warns him that the elites are coming to get him, suggesting that such tired banalities of these deranged Qanon types, contain some sparkling prescience, and that such powerful foresight is evidence of a conspiracy. If nothing else he understands his audience, even as they've changed over the years and he has proven a very good confidence trickster.

Just like the Prince Andrew interview, it has the complete opposite affect of what is intended. Damning stuff.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d

It might well be true.

Aside from the ‘main question’ being a bit of an odd one…..did he really ‘take on the establishment’?

He talks out of his arsehole on YouTube and some silly wankers, who were already silly wankers, lap it up and think he’s a truthteller.

I’m sure GSK or the democrats or whoever establishment refers to that day couldn’t give less of a shit

Last edited:

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
:lol: "he took on the establishment"

No, he is the 'establishment', which is precisely how he's been allowed to get away with it for his entire career.

He won't be the only one either.

buchansleftleg

I've a few friends who've worked in media and they all got their "start" by being unpaid interns or researchers or "runners" on shows.

All have got tales to tell about "talent" on these shows either being incredibly nice or being absolute shitehawks of varying degrees.

It tends to follow the same pattern. "Hot" new talent is brought in and indulged/allowed to behave badly, those interns move into more senior positions and gradually they avoid working with such talent, whereas "Good" people keep getting invited back.

Russell's career follows a similar ark, probably extended by the more modern phenomena of independent production companies having legal operations to sweep such behaviour more firmly under the carpet.

His defence will be interesting to say the least, as he has at various points claimed to be a sex addict, and boasted about wild nights out of drink and drugs....but somehow claims to have retained absolute clarity on consent at all times.

He'll endup becoming a David Icke type figure, wearing skinny jeans rather than shellsuits. Pedalling conspiracy to a dwindling band of imbeciles who will fund his lifestyle while he doesn't believe a word of what he says.

El Zoido

It might well be true.

Because he’s extremely litigious and has had injunctions and super injunctions to surpress it, for years.

He disappeared from TV years ago, a lot of people wondered why he ended up being a born-again wellness guru on YouTube, now we know why. He’d been blacklisted from TV. Even though people at Channel 4 etc supposedly covered this behaviour up for a period of time, eventually they just stopped booking him.

I doubt they’re digging this up because he’s “anti-establishment”, that’s putting the cart before the horse. It seems pretty obvious in hindsight that he knew this would come for him eventually, so courted a far right conspiracy theory audience to hide behind when it did. It seems to have worked to a reasonable degree, too.

What’s interesting is that the women have said they came forward now because he was becoming a popular wellness guru on youtube. Hell, I was I subscribed to him for a time since I’m in to meditation & mindfulness, etc. He didn’t start off with all this anti-msm anti-vax conspiracy theory stuff, at some point he pivoted towards it. Now I’m wondering if his wellness stuff was legit, or just another grift. He’s married and has kids, and as much as everyone absolutely hates his guts now, it’s possible he already feels deeply remorseful over the thing he’s done, now that his life is in a different place (I’m not saying this makes it all ok, he should still pay for his crimes). Reformed bad people often find religion and spirituality as a way of living with the reprehensible things they’ve done.

So then as he’s gaining popularity as some sort of spiritualist, he gets wind of an investigation in to his sex offences against woman and realises this is going to catch up to him and he can’t super injunction his way out of it forever. He begins to shift to being right wing/libertarian and build an audience of those distrustful of the media, so that when it breaks he has a solid and loyal fanbase already in place. He knew this day was coming and set this up ahead of time. Elon Musk did the exact same thing a while ago too. Crazy world we live in.

arnie_ni

Katherine Ryan getting abuse on social media and she wasn't even in the doc

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The same reason half of our fan base seemingly protect our own who are accused. When you lean on doubt and innocent til proven guilty it passes on responsibility for stopping them onto someone else.

It's too easy for people to get away with such crimes as they're hard to prove which is why suspension and full public investigation are required when people are accused.
Indeed.

The "innocent until proven guilty" concept, which only applies to a limited degree even within the legal system, isn't supposed to act as a stand-in for people's own sense of morality, ability to make judgements about others and ability to take action against others outside of the legal system.

It's a term that has been used quite a bit on this forum in recent months, often by people who wrongly seem to think it means "if someone hasn't been convicted we have to act like we think they're innocent". And if people/organisations fall into that trap, or deliberately take that position because it's convenient/beneficial to them, then abuse is allowed to continue.

El Zoido

She’s also being called a hero. I’d imagine if you tallied them up you’d find she was overwhelmingly being supported, but there’s always a subset of nasty folk.

I personally was never a fan of her comedy, but if she called him a predator to his face that’s badass.

Trequarista10

It might well be true.

The Times/Dispatches investigation started, what, 18 months ago? I think that's roughly when his most popular conspiratorial videos were being released.

That said, I don't really care what the intention is or if there's an alterior motive. It's right that he should be exposed. Narcissists tend to rise to positions of power be it through the mainstream or through alternative media or platforms where they portray themselves as heroes fighting the establishment. Regardless of which avenue they go down, if they get too big for their boots they're going to have a target on their back and if they have any skeletons in the closet they will be exposed. It's the nature of the game that they choose to play.

I do wish the same scrutiny was applied to all of the sociopaths in positions of real power, rather than just comparatively easy internet loud mouths and broadcasters, but it's a start. Or maybe it's just that the viewing audience are more interested in scandals involving celebrities than leaders in the world of business or politics. There was a scathing documentary about Boris Johnson before he became PM which fairly accurately depicted him as a sociopath, and the prick still ended up being PM.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Really what should happen is victims should have at least 3 eye witnesses, texts, phone calls, video and audio from 20 different angles and report the crime in a timely fashion then and only then will I believe them if they look like the sort of person who doesn't make stuff up.
You'd still get the "were you there?" argument.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Love how "trial by media" was what we used to call "investigative journalism".

No one claimed trial by media when the Michelle Mone PPE story broke.

Or when the Huw Edwards scandal dropped.
Actually I saw this a lot, especially when it came out that it was heavily misrepresented or even totally untrue in the first place. It was almost a lesson in how people shouldn’t rush to judge before they’ve heard all the facts, was it not?

The same reason half of our fan base seemingly protect our own who are accused. When you lean on doubt and innocent til proven guilty it passes on responsibility for stopping them onto someone else.

It's too easy for people to get away with such crimes as they're hard to prove which is why suspension and full public investigation are required when people are accused.
No, that's nonsense. There is a reason Dispatches spent 3 years researching this show before releasing it. For an accusation to lead to suspension and investigation there needs to be a lot of evidence available and it needs to be overwhelming. You can't suspend people and drag them through a public flogging based on a he said she said accusation.

FireballXL5

Hey James, how many MP's are currently under investigation for sexual misconduct?

Russell Brand allegations mean entertainment industry has questions to answer - Cleverly

The entertainment industry has questions to answer in light of allegations against comedian Russell Brand, Foreign Secretary James Cleverly has said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66836556

Trequarista10

Just a sidenote re: whether Brand was ever a reformed character, whether he did have a spiritual change, whether he ever believed the views he espoused when he was left wing, or whether he truly believes the views he espouses now he's playing to the right wing..

All options are possible, and I wouldn't rule any of them out. However I would just say it is entirely possible he truly did reform or attempt to reform, and has fully believed in his views as they have changed over time. I work in psychiatry and there's a few folks who work in this field that have some similarities to him. Chequered past fuelled in part by substance abuse and narcissistic personalities, underwent some kind of spiritual or psychological reform and now try to live good lives and do well, have genuine empathy and remorse and demonstrate conscientiousness. However they still have some noticeable moments where they can't contain their frustration, or can be manipulative or deceitful, and they tend to have quite extreme views on politics that fluctuate from one extreme to another. Based on that I think it's entirely possible Brand has been genuine to his beliefs the entire time, despite obviously monetizing those beliefs, but he'll never be able to truly shake off all of his narcissistic traits. I think it's his past just coming back to haunt him, rather than him playing 4D chess for years to change sides in case he got exposed. As I said though, open to that possibility.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I‘m at a point where I believe every person asking „why now?“ when news like these get published, deserve to be slapped.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Just a sidenote re: whether Brand was ever a reformed character, whether he did have a spiritual change, whether he ever believed the views he espoused when he was left wing, or whether he truly believes the views he espouses now he's playing to the right wing..

All options are possible, and I wouldn't rule any of them out. However I would just say it is entirely possible he truly did reform or attempt to reform, and has fully believed in his views as they have changed over time. I work in psychiatry and there's a few folks who work in this field that have some similarities to him. Chequered past fuelled in part by substance abuse and narcissistic personalities, underwent some kind of spiritual or psychological reform and now try to live good lives and do well, have genuine empathy and remorse and demonstrate conscientiousness. However they still have some noticeable moments where they can't contain their frustration, or can be manipulative or deceitful, and they tend to have quite extreme views on politics that fluctuate from one extreme to another. Based on that I think it's entirely possible Brand has been genuine to his beliefs the entire time, despite obviously monetizing those beliefs, but he'll never be able to truly shake off all of his narcissistic traits. I think it's his past just coming back to haunt him, rather than him playing 4D chess for years to change sides in case he got exposed. As I said though, open to that possibility.
But the jumping of the gun to categorically deny any wrong doing speaks to the opposite, no? That he's fully aware of what he has done and that twisting of the narrative to further defend shows he really hasn't changed.

Obviously he would not come out and start apologising putting himself at legal risk, but all those years of injunctions and litigation threats to now putting up a shield of sycophants pretty much shows who he still is. Otherwise he would simply say he will fight the claims and not rile up the troops with the nonsense "establishment" talk.

Also, just to note something you said earlier, the main investigations against him started further back than 18months. The young girl particularly in question came forward to his agency in 2020 which sparked interest off.

Smores

No, that's nonsense. There is a reason Dispatches spent 3 years researching this show before releasing it. For an accusation to lead to suspension and investigation there needs to be a lot of evidence available and it needs to be overwhelming. You can't suspend people and drag them through a public flogging based on a he said she said accusation.
Well you can and it happens very frequently in listed companies or with politicians. Serious sexual crimes demand suspension to safeguard.

In general though you're wrong on suspension, the whole point is to investigate the evidence. Suspension is not a punishment its just a judgment on if a person can continue employment whilst an investigation is ongoing.

Your suggestion is to let predators continue as long as they avoid criminal investigation. We've already seen why that's a terrible terrible idea.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
It's a bit suspicious that women tend to report rape after it's happened and not before
And did you ever notice that the accusations only get punished after they were made? And the articles only drop right after the research is done? To me, a very intelligent man, that is highly suspicious.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
And did you ever notice that the accusations only get punished after they were made? And the articles only drop right after the research is done? To me, a very intelligent man, that is highly suspicious.
And have you noticed that it's often celebrities that get reported on? Why don't they report on every rape case?

decorativeed

Hmmm. And people were wondering why she didn't appear on it and ever only alluded to him rather than named him outright. What's with these losers hero worshiping creeps and refusing to believe they are capable of wrong doing?

HTG

Supports
Bayern
And have you noticed that it's often celebrities that get reported on? Why don't they report on every rape case?
Very suspicious if you ask me. And I’m a critical thinker who is well versed in critical thinking.

El Zoido

It’s quite fascinating. I think the spiritual reform is real but the right wing stuff isn’t (or at least it wasn’t initially). If he went right wing as a way to hide, he could’ve skipped the whole self-help guru part and just gone straight in as a right wing talking head. Calling it 4D chess is giving it too much credit, this playbook is well worn for years now. As I said, Elon Musk also did it. Magically coming out as right wing the day before some allegations came out about him, then immediately said the liberal media were out to get him because he’s a republican. Trump was a democrat his whole life until he ran for President, this whole “anti-msm” angle is a well-worn strategy by this point. No doubt in my mind that Brand is 100% playing it. If he avoids prison he’ll still have a career after this.

Trequarista10

But the jumping of the gun to categorically deny any wrong doing speaks to the opposite, no? That he's fully aware of what he has done and that twisting of the narrative to further defend shows he really hasn't changed.

Obviously he would not come out and start apologising putting himself at legal risk, but all those years of injunctions and litigation threats to now putting up a shield of sycophants pretty much shows who he still is. Otherwise he would simply say he will fight the claims and not rile up the troops with the nonsense "establishment" talk.

Also, just to note something you said earlier, the main investigations against him started further back than 18months. The young girl particularly in question came forward to his agency in 2020 which sparked interest off.
I'm not quite sure what you mean. I don't mean he hasn't changed from being a narcissist, but rather his changing political views have been genuine to his beliefs. Narcissists do tend to change over time but not entirely reform (narcissism is a spectrum anyway), and their beliefs are fairly fluid to what suits them, but they genuinely believe what they believe in the moment (or can do, anyway).

If I had to guess, I'd say he's probably abandoned ***ing and s***ally a*****ting women as he has got older, and has probably made some progress as a human through his attempted spiritual journey, but he's still a narcissist. I think he'd take the same defence now whether or not he had planned to join forces with the right wing as a pre-emptive tactic. Its the corner he finds himself in.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Hmmm. And people were wondering why she didn't appear on it and ever only alluded to him rather than named him outright. What's with these losers hero worshiping creeps and refusing to believe they are capable of wrong doing?
Honestly? I think many of them don’t see anything wrong with what their heroes do and are willing to do the same stuff, given the opportunity. Looking at the amount of people who have suffered from sexualised violence, there must be loads of guilty people out there. They obviously join these discussions, as it’s as much about them as it is about their heroes. They have a genuine and selfish interest in keeping the so called rape culture alive and well.

Though some are just deluded and gullible morons, who even at a ripe age are incapable of reflecting their ridiculous celebrity worship.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
And people were wondering why she hasn't fully spoken out....
Eerily similar to people blaming Rachel Riley for greenwood no longer playing for united..
Can we just collectively agree that people commenting on social media (especially Twitter) are hardly representative of the general population and, by and large, are the dredges of society. There’s nothing to read into people abusing victims on social media other than they’re scum.

Brophs

The One and Only
He’d hardly be the first person who’d gotten rich to become a right winger with delusions of omniscience. I’d be pretty amazed if he did that with an end in mind, much less as a pre-emptive suit of armour