g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Djibril Sidibé

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
So i'm wrong thinking Meunier is more solid defensively than Sidibe, while Sidibe is better in attack? A genuine question, since I know you've seen much more of both than me.
Yes, Meunier isn't solid defensively and he isn't better than Sidibé, the only difference is that the right back for PSG isn't used like the right back for Monaco. If Meunier was more solid, it would be marginal but I don't think that even is and Sidibé is better going forward. There isn't a lot between them but Sidibé has more variety partially due to the fact that he can use his left foot without trouble.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Don’t we already have Fosu Mensah though? I think he’ll do well for us at RB.
He's not ready yet unfortunately. Needs to work on his attacking skills massively to be a Jose RB.

El Pasillo

Sidibé is a good but inconsistent player, definitely not top class.

Doesn't track back well enough. Tends to leave acres of spaces. Decent tackler & one-on-one defensively tho. Decent pace (average for a FB), great physicality. Passing is bad, atrocious I'd say to be honest. His dribbling is heavy. Tanks well enough to still make differences in attack. Great stamina (only when he goes forward, he becomes lazy defensively).

Last edited:

Kostov

Yes, Meunier isn't solid defensively and he isn't better than Sidibé, the only difference is that the right back for PSG isn't used like the right back for Monaco. If Meunier was more solid, it would be marginal but I don't think that even is and Sidibé is better going forward. There isn't a lot between them but Sidibé has more variety partially due to the fact that he can use his left foot without trouble.
I've not seen much of Sidibe bar the CL games last season and the usual highlights, and compared to Meunier looked like a much more undisciplined full back. As I said, it's not much of an observation to form a permanent opinion, so I'll have to take your word for it.

Meunier is a converted winger, he's very good in attack, decent in defense...
I know he has played in a couple of positions, but I though that was long time ago. Anyway I felt he was very solid in defense, better than most modern full backs anyway.

JPRouve

Scout
I've not seen much of Sidibe bar the CL games last season and the usual highlights, and compared to Meunier looked like a much more undisciplined full back. As I said, it's not much of an observation to form a permanent opinion, so I'll have to take your word for it.

I know he has played in a couple of positions, but I though that was long time ago. Anyway I felt he was very solid in defense, better than most modern full backs anyway.
If you haven't watched them a lot, it's near impossible to actually compare them because while they have the same qualities and flaws, their roles are vastly different. For Monaco Sidibé is the main attacker on the right and it was even more the case last season, Monaco was also a lot less balanced than PSG, in the last 18 months he has been solid defensively(his first 6 months were appalling) even though he still has a stupid mistake in him every 10 games. Meunier for PSG has never been asked to do what is asked to Sidibé, in theory he can play with less aggression because he isn't the main outlet on the right. Now PSG still used Aurier when they needed someone that can defend consistently.

Kostov

If you haven't watched them a lot, it's near impossible to actually compare them because while they have the same qualities and flaws, their roles are vastly different. For Monaco Sidibé is the main attacker on the right and it was even more the case last season, Monaco was also a lot less balanced than PSG, in the last 18 months he has been solid defensively(his first 6 months were appalling) even though he still has a stupid mistake in him every 10 games. Meunier for PSG has never been asked to do what is asked to Sidibé, in theory he can play with less aggression because he isn't the main outlet on the right. Now PSG still used Aurier when they needed someone that can defend consistently.
Aurier are you serious? I didn't know that, and I'm generally surprised by that since Aurier look like a brainless defender. :lol:
Didn't Sidibe play on the right, behind B. Silva before his move? 12 of those 18 months Sidibe played in Monaco's winning season, they were a very well drilled team in my opinion, and balanced as I felt during that time. Anyway good to hear a much more insightful opinion for the two. Based on that, you'd rather we bring Sidibe than Meunier?

JPRouve

Scout
Aurier are you serious? I didn't know that, and I'm generally surprised by that since Aurier look like a brainless defender. :lol:
Didn't Sidibe play on the right, behind B. Silva before his move? 12 of those 18 months Sidibe played in Monaco's winning season, they were a very well drilled team in my opinion, and balanced as I felt during that time. Anyway good to hear a much more insightful opinion for the two. Based on that, you'd rather we bring Sidibe than Meunier?
The team was well drilled but it wasn't a balanced team both wings were very open because Lemar and Bernardo were relatively narrow while Sidibé and Mendy were very aggressive. The only reason Monaco wasn't too much exposed is because Fabinho, Jemerson, Glik and Subasic(up until April) were having a really good season.

I would take Meunier because Sidibé picked more injuries, if I'm not mistaken, but overall they are close.

Kostov

The team was well drilled but it wasn't a balanced team both wings were very open because Lemar and Bernardo were relatively narrow while Sidibé and Mendy were very aggressive. The only reason Monaco wasn't too much exposed is because Fabinho, Jemerson, Glik and Subasic(up until April) were having a really good season.

I would take Meunier because Sidibé picked more injuries, if I'm not mistaken, but overall they are close.
The last thing we need is to bring an injury prone full back, one more reason for me to prefer Meunier. And whatever happened to Glik, he looked like a very good CB last season?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I’d choose meunier any day.

No way is Sidibe better going forward. How many times has he scored a hatrick from fullback?

SaboTaj

He's not ready yet unfortunately. Needs to work on his attacking skills massively to be a Jose RB.
Sidibe isn’t the finished article or the real deal as well. At least Fosu is mostly sound defensively and is good with the ball at his feet, he just needs to sharpen his attacking presence which I believe will happen.

kthanksbye

A friend who watches League 1 says he's a bit suspect defensively, but very good in attack, a sign of us moving to a back 3?

Bestietom

Yes, I would be satisfied with him. Just hope we go for the right players this Summer. Players who are tops in their positions.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Meunier is better than Sidibe, not even up for discussion.
How is he better though? Is he better in attack? Is he better in defence? Why is Meunier so much better that it's not even worth discussion?

El-Manos

How is he better though? Is he better in attack? Is he better in defence? Why is Meunier so much better that it's not even worth discussion?
Both. However, they each play in a completely different system, therefore it is difficult to compare the two but from what I have witnessed, Meunier is all round a much better right back in almost every aspect. His maturity in his play is absolutely outstanding. Seems to have a talent for being in the right position at the right time, this point is partly backed up by his goalscoring records.

Sidibe is quite good going forward, albeit not exceptional. He is given a lot of space in that Monaco set up, so naturally he was always going to perform quite well going forward. Defensively he is quite poor though. Us United fans like to complain about Valencia but this guy is ten times worse, gets caught out of position all the time and strolls around the pitch extremely casual. Will get caught out badly in the premier league I think.

Last edited:

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Meunier would provide a good link up with Lukaku.They already have a good understanding with the national team

kode

Even in the youtube videos that are meant to make him look great you wonder how he can have such bad touches he seems to only rely on his physical attributes to recover the ball or go past players. He seem not polished at all, yet he starts for France.... maybe Descchamps is seeing something a simple football fan cant or is it just the rarity of good fullbacks...

Nickosaur

Our choices for full backs need to be monsters. Pace and stamina obviously, but they also need to be great footballers, and competent in both defence and attack. It's a much more demanding position than it has been in the past, due to the use of wing backs in a lot of formations. Sidibe looks okay in most aspects but I feel we need someone who can give us much more.

extincti fugax hominum

The thing is, there isn't an abundance of top quality fullbacks(especially RB) in world football. While i don't want another bang average player like Darmian , i would be very happy with Alex Sandro and Sidibe if they are to be our new pair in fullback positions in the summer window.

suhaylah

When asked if Monacco will let Sidibé go to Manchester united for the right price, the vice president of Monacco has replied yes on Telefoot

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Has been terrible tonight against PSG and it looks he is now seriously injured. Got stretchered off after 30 minutes.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Sidibé is a good but inconsistent player, definitely not top class.

Doesn't track back well enough. Tends to leave acres of spaces. Decent tackler & one-on-one defensively tho. Decent pace (average for a FB), great physicality. Passing is bad, atrocious I'd say to be honest. His dribbling is heavy. Tanks well enough to still make differences in attack. Great stamina (only when he goes forward, he becomes lazy defensively).
I haven’t seen anything of him so can’t say if I agree or not but this seems pretty damning

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Could do worse than a RB who contributed to his team reaching the CL semi's and winning the title.

ti vu

I haven’t seen anything of him so can’t say if I agree or not but this seems pretty damning
Then you have to remember Deschamps and Jardim (to some extend) are pragmatic yet they are both fine with Sidebe, then perhaps such damning assessment is not well accurate

JPRouve

Scout
He has above average pace faster than Mendy. His passing isn't atrocious, no different to Valencia. He won't track back 1 out of 10 which is infuriating. He isn't a dribbler a little bit like Valencia. He can use both feet and has variety in his crossing selection.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'll take him. Good player at a good age to get better. There's not many RB options at all out on the market, really.

Silas

He has above average pace faster than Mendy. His passing isn't atrocious, no different to Valencia. He won't track back 1 out of 10 which is infuriating. He isn't a dribbler a little bit like Valencia. He can use both feet and has variety in his crossing selection.
Do you think he's better than Ricardo Pereira?

JPRouve

Scout
Do you think he's better than Ricardo Pereira?
That's a good question. They are both very attacking and neither are great defenders, if you compare Ricardo Pereira at Nice and Sidibé at Monaco, I would say that Sidibé was the better player but it's not by much. @Peyroteo @SCP

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
How old is the fecker?

If he is under 24 then i can't see Mourinho being interested!

ti vu

That's a good question. They are both very attacking and neither are great defenders, if you compare Ricardo Pereira at Nice and Sidibé at Monaco, I would say that Sidibé was the better player but it's not by much. @Peyroteo @SCP
Another thing needs to be looked at is R.Pereira is probably hitting his peak now and arguably it's not that high enough. Even at Portugal NT, the chance Cedric to keep his position as starter is high. With Sidebe, as the past couple seasons suggests, he has room for improvement. So even if he needs time to adapt, it feels as if he would eventually make it by improving himself.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Another thing needs to be looked at is R.Pereira is probably hitting his peak now and arguably it's not that high enough. Even at Portugal NT, the chance Cedric to keep his position as starter is high. With Sidebe, as the past couple seasons suggests, he has room for improvement. So even if he needs time to adapt, it feels as if he would eventually make it by improving himself.
Cedric starting is more of a reward for the Euros and a sign of continuity than him exactly being better than Ricardo Pereira or Nelson Semedo. Cedric just fits us pretty well as Guerreiro is more attacking on the left side and Cedric is more defensive on the right. I agree with you though, Ricardo is a very good signing for Leicester but I don't think he's good enough to make it at a club that wans to win the league. Telles was the best Porto fullback last season.

@JPRouve I'm not as big of a fan of Ricardo Pereira as most people that regularly watch Porto so I might not be the best person to ask that but I prefer Sidibe. At least the Sidibe I watched last season, I didn't catch too many Monaco games this season so I don't really know how he's been doing

Sanche7

From the little I've seen of him, his technique looks iffy, some poor touches which leads to him loosing the ball and some poor passing.
But his crossing ability looks great and I like how he always tries to make surging runs soon after he wins the ball. I don't think he's slow or anything, he looked quick enough to me.
Don't know about the doesn't track back part but if we are buying him, Jose can improve his defensive game but his technique is what worries me.
At the same time, I don't think there are any better RBs available.

This guy has won the league, gone deep into CL and if I'm not wrong is France's first choice RB.
And IIRC JPRouve said something along the lines that there isn't much between him and Meunier.
So I'll take him, especially because he is a good crosser.