Do City leave you cold?

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
This thread is about their whole “project”. Is it interesting/entertaining to the neutral (or rival fans) And that’s where it falls down for me. I just don’t care. Neither positive nor negative emotions. A big bunch of “meh”.
I think this is due to the fact that they barely had any success before Mansour bought them.

For example, Berlusconi did something similar with AC Milan, but Milan already won 2 European Cups and 9 Serie A titles before Berlusconi bought them, so they were already considered a big team (even if the situation was very bad when Silvio bought the club).

I think people would be less mad if Mansour would have bought Arsenal in 2008, instead of City, as Arsenal was clearly more successful than City.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I think this is due to the fact that they barely had any success before Mansour bought them.

For example, Berlusconi did something similar with AC Milan, but Milan already won 2 European Cups and 9 Serie A titles before Berlusconi bought them, so they were already considered a big team (even if the situation was very bad when Silvio bought the club).
10. Rivera was still there for the star iirc

caid

Yes, Barcelona and Spain left me pretty cold too. There is a sterility to how they smother games.
Then theres the wider club thats shallow as a puddle and ugly underneath.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
They’re just boring. They have so much money. They’re able to remove all jeopardy from every aspect of the game.

Staff not good enough? We’ll buy more. If they’re not good enough, buy even more.

Injuries damage seasons. Let’s just stack our entire squad with talent to such a level that we barely notice when a player is missing.

Training facilities inadequate? Let’s build an entirely new one.

Let’s also buy a dozen other clubs across the globe. We’ll probably need to do some dodgy financial shit with them at some point.

Let’s also pick up the UK’s most identifiable 5 a side centres, just because.

Of course it’s impressive to have done all of this so quickly. They are impressive. Every club would like to have achieved what they have.

The football itself is the most depressingly boring part of it. Though. Keeping the ball forever, only committing to periodic passages of risk, seconds at a time before resetting. Again, I can appreciate the talent and application. Pep is a genius. But it’s really Fcuking boring to see the processions. It’s devoid of all passion as nothing is ever really on the line.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Yes, Barcelona and Spain left me pretty cold too. There is a sterility to how they smother games.
Then theres the wider club thats shallow as a puddle and ugly underneath.
Yeah, but you could at least appreciate those teams even if they were boring at times, and they had entertaining characters.

City yes I’m concerned about them when we’re in a title race with them, but aside from the kompany moment it’s just boring and doesn’t really annoy me because it’s more a defeated well what do you do?? I can respect their football, but everything about the way they’ve achieved it and the way they’ve killed a lot of competition in this league has killed a lot of my excitement for the game. Despite us being a pretty good side these days. We put together a fantastic team with a great manager and did everything the right way, yet we can’t really have our cycle of dominance because there’s this other side that has unlimited resources. And it’s not like we’re going to be good forever, klopp will leave and it’ll be another sides turn to have a go at usurping them and at that point I’ll probably be glad they’re there to stop them because I’d rather them win it than any other side because it has no meaning.
It genuinely has killed my love of the game, I’m just glad I saw us win a league and CL because i don’t know if we’ll get another team like this, so I’m not taking it for granted.

captaincantona

They're robotic, there never seems to be any improvisation or joy to their play.
Bollox...their football is immaculate...ordinary players have become exceptional under pep and as for improvisation...go watch Cancelo or Bernardo or De Bruyne highlight videos for this season so far...or Gundogan and Foden last year...fuking speed of thought and touch is mind boggling...just because they are perfectly drilled doesn’t take away the individual brilliance it requires to execute what they do. I fuking hate the bastards but they are quality.

the money arguement is bullshit too. We could have bought most of the players they did...do you honestly think they would have performed to those levels under our managers? Sanchez and Ronny and Fred say hi...all supposed city targets...while Gundogan, Bernardo, Cancelo, Dias, Marhrez...all easily available to us...we just bought Maguire, Bisakka, VDB, and Sancho for more money. I’m jealous...but let’s not pretend there is anything there to criticise...

the only true statement is thatwhen someone is really really good at something to the point it takes the contest away...it might be boring...but it doesn’t make them any less impressive.

Last edited:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
We are the only team that can beat them and we will. You know, to keep the interest going. They are like a machine that doesn’t stop and it does take a team like Liverpool at the top of their game to win against City. Ole did it but that was just unexplainable given the gulf in talent between united and City.
In terms of head to heads Pep has pretty much sussed you out ever since the UCL tie.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Bollox...their football is immaculate...ordinary players have become exceptional under pep and as for improvisation...go watch Cancelo or Bernardo or De Bruyne highlight videos for this season so far...or Gundogan and Foden last year...fuking speed of thought and touch is mind boggling...just because they are perfectly drilled doesn’t take away the individual brilliance it requires to execute what they do. I fuking hate the bastards but they are quality.
Yeah but I think you're missing the point...

Reading the posts in this thread and in others talking about this topic (a lot of threads for a club that supposedly is pointless)...

For a lot of football fans, it's not enough that a team of 11 players conduct their craft on the pitch in an efficient and thoughtful and nice way. There has to be a narrative attached to grab people's attention. Whether it's the character flaws or cuntiness of a player or two, or it's some rise from the ashes story, or they play for a team who's fans you just loathe... If you remove that and all you have is the football for 90 minutes and nothing else, it gets labeled as boring and nothing.

Which is crazy for me, because the 90 minutes is more than enough content for me to get excited over or pulled into. But yeah if you care about who has the bigger fans or who "earned their success" or want to see some signs that not everything is ok in the office upstairs or want to see mind games or all that other extra stuff... Then yes City will come across as boring and sterile because they don't do all that extraneous bullshit as well as other clubs do.

And I'm genuinely recognizing that it is a valid way to consume football. So to each his/her own, although I'll again emphasize that for a club no one supposedly gives a feck about, there are a lot of threads about them...

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

I think people would be less mad if Mansour would have bought Arsenal in 2008, instead of City, as Arsenal was clearly more successful than City.
I've been saying that for years, for most this moral stuff is just a convenient smokescreen to hide behind. The vast majority are pissed that it's being done outside the status quo.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
Complete indifference. Newcastle probably fast becoming the new king indifferent, City the queen and Chelsea the little prince. Will be like the league only consists of 17 teams.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
If Newcastle go on to a similar sort of run I think it’ll have a bigger impact because they’re a much bigger club than City.

b82REZ

I've never been impressed by their success.

It's a soulless club. Similar to PSG, any success they obtain will have a huge asterisk next to it in my mind.

Probably doesn't help that I find their football boring. They just choke the opposition out, game after game. Undoubtedly well coached, and from a tactical POV Pep may be the best ever. But his brand of football does nothing for me from an entertainment standpoint. I also felt similarly about his Barca team.

I actually prefer to watch Liverpool, as sickening as that is for me. Klopp is everything we should aspire for in a manager.

Marwood

The lack of competition doesn't help. We're useless, Chelsea barely any better.

The biggest challenge now is coming from a Liverpool whose squad isn't deeper than a mid 90's United.

That along with the well made points in this thread make it all very meh.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
My apathy to them seems more rooted in what feels like them just not screwing up while everyone around them implodes rather than them being anything special. It's all so robotic and souless, like there's no personality. The only time we really see any fallibility is in the champions league when Pep has a meltdown and does something ridiculous. It's not really always true, the year Liverpool won it I'm sure they had a bunch of bad loses but they are so consistent that they completely fade from memory. I heard quite a bit about how last season they were great but honestly it just felt like Liverpool collapsed, Chelsea were transitioning, we clearly weren't great but somehow ended up in second which tells you something. They just won it by not doing anything daft.

Bondi77

They need a few players to curse under their breath when they fail to execute or throw their arms in the air when they don’t receive a pass because they are in no better position than the player in possession.
That should cheer the crowd up!

Irrational.

Couldn’t care less about them. I also see the media not caring as well, which must make the Berties even more bitter than they already are.

minoo-utd

A club who bought success, very obvious and every fan knows it. Big difference from buying and making. Yes their football is great under Pep surely and they doing good by keeping Liverpool away from some league titles during recent years but who cares when they win something!
Even here their fanbase is very very few still.

binary bot
Team sports coached to the optimum efficency become less enjoyable.

Silverman

I think its more about how they have become successful rather than anything to do with their style of play.

MichaelRed

We'll get someone coming in and saying "yeah we'll I'd love us to be robotic and excellent"

The thing is they've achieved an almost robotic boring excellence like when you play fifa career mode and win nearly every game.

The only genuine moment they've had is the agüero winner against QPR.

They've had no real climb to the top.

Moreover their squad is just full of bland personalities who can play football well. At least Toure, Balotelli, Hart and to some extent Aguero had that.

The only real character I see there is Foden.
I know people will say I'm bias as a United supporter but I even think the Aguero vs QPR moment was & still is so overhyped. QPR were far the better team & could have been out of sight, to say City needed to win that game for the league, their performance was pathetic.

Unfortunately, I can't remember which game it was exactly, but the other important game that was going to decide who got relegated finished before the City QPR game & news filtered onto the pitch that QPR couldn't get relegated due to that other match. As soon as that happened half of the QPR team literally stopped playing. Pretty sure a player or 2 literally laid down near the half way line & QPR went from smashing City to letting them walk it into their net.

I genuinely believe that if the other game had meant QPR needed to hang on to their lead or hang on for a point then City would never have won their first title that day.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Chelsea got their success through money as well but I definitely care more about playing and beating them than City. They feel plastic.

EtH

I actually loathe them more than anyone considering the fact that murderous fascists only bought them because they are across the way from us. Total joke club ruining football along with the likes of Chelsea and others abroad and now of course Newcastle. I barely even watch football anymore due to this shite.

The state of the World Cup, FFS.

adexkola

Supports
That this can be mouthed, and that people can actually nod and agree with it, is mind-blowing. I can't say it's wrong because it's a matter of opinion but still... wow.

I can't think of any other team sport where that pinnacle of excellence is something to be dismissed as less enjoyable or boring.

I've never heard anyone dismiss the '96 Chicago Bulls as boring because they were so dominant. Or the '07 Patriots. Is this uniquely a football thing or an English football fan thing?

binary bot
That this can be mouthed, and that people can actually nod and agree with it, is mind-blowing. I can't say it's wrong because it's a matter of opinion but still... wow.

I can't think of any other team sport where that pinnacle of excellence is something to be dismissed as less enjoyable or boring.

I've never heard anyone dismiss the '96 Chicago Bulls as boring because they were so dominant. Or the '07 Patriots. Is this uniquely a football thing or an English football fan thing?
You're mixing domination with efficiency. You think 90s basketball was optimum efficieny? The NBA today is trending towards a snoozefest of the most efficient shot taking. Some sports like the NFL may never reach it due to so many variables but it ultimately reduces individualism and speculation. Freaks like Messi and Jordan are going to be exceptions.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Their squad isn't nearly as good as everyone here pretend it to be, the difference between City and the challengers in recent years is Pep.

Now, statistically excellent as they are, i do find it all a bit predictable and boring too, CL, for all its criticism about "chance" and "Luck" is part of what makes it so special, unlike league games.

City may walk the league almost every single season, but CL though? Thats a different matter, yes, one of the top dogs will usually win, but guessing which one isn't as easy.

eire-red

City exist to most United fans as the lesser evil to Liverpool winning the league. I don't like either, but yes City are a little "meh".

Apart from that, I don't agree with the marginalising of their success as just down to money. If that was the case, then we should be doing pretty great now too, right? They still had to spend that money wisely, and it takes a genius like Pep to take them to that level. Let's not pretend like any manager with unlimited funds could have reproduced what he did.

The project, the club, the whole thing is a little shallow and I really can't bring myself to care much about their success. But they still had to go and do it. Others in recent times (such as us) have spent almost just as much and have nothing to show for it.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Their football looks as depressing as Pep's boredom with his own genius in post-game conferences.

EtH

The other sports you mention have rules in place to promote parity. Thus this pinnacle of excellence you refer to doesn’t involve depraved dictators and sportswashing.

Teja

They're robotic, there never seems to be any improvisation or joy to their play.
100% this.

Yep, they just make the optimal decisions every time and execute them without any technical errors. No lose touches, no bad passes, no uncertainty.

It's like watching a computer play football.

Ludens the Red

Yup..
People will say it’s bitter etc but city are “boring”. I actually fell asleep during their game today. Our game was terrible, yet the game that bored me to sleep was city’s.

Them just passing the ball about relentlessly has no charm to it. I’ve said it before but Liverpool’s football is more exciting. It feels on the edge, it’s fast and they give the opposition a chance.
I know city drew today but you can watch a lot of their games and the opposition will not get a sniff. The recycling of possession, the cynical tactical fouls and the efficiency at how they do it. It’s too masterful and kind of just creates really boring games. Most of their games are won within 25 mins.

The other thing is that them winning means Liverpool don’t win. So you can’t even get that angry because the alternative is basically hell.

And then all of their players seem devoid of any personality or irritating traits. Remember how back in the day you’d want to punch basically every Arsenal player in the face? There’s nobody dislikable at city.

And then you move onto their fans, if they behaved like Liverpool fans where you know they’d milk and love the success you could again grow to loath the whole thing. Unfortunately their fans are constantly stuck in a state of complete bitterness and insecurity regardless of how exceptional they are.
Incessant whining about Liverpool and Uniteds media coverage and uefa being against them.
The lack of self awareness is astonishing. You’d think a club with artificial success who have literally cheated with off the book payments and fudging sponsorships would own it but they don’t. They go around acting like everyone is against them and they’ve been wronged.

And ultimately their success stems from the backing of an oil state. Like I said people will say it’s bitter. But when success is manufactured like there’s, PSG and to an extent Chelaea (although not as bad cos they were decent before Roman) it just doesn’t feel meaningful. Football is always better with meaning and romanticism. City have none of it. Like what’s their story?

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
They’re just boring. They have so much money. They’re able to remove all jeopardy from every aspect of the game.

Staff not good enough? We’ll buy more. If they’re not good enough, buy even more.

Injuries damage seasons. Let’s just stack our entire squad with talent to such a level that we barely notice when a player is missing.

Training facilities inadequate? Let’s build an entirely new one.

Let’s also buy a dozen other clubs across the globe. We’ll probably need to do some dodgy financial shit with them at some point.

Let’s also pick up the UK’s most identifiable 5 a side centres, just because.

Of course it’s impressive to have done all of this so quickly. They are impressive. Every club would like to have achieved what they have.

The football itself is the most depressingly boring part of it. Though. Keeping the ball forever, only committing to periodic passages of risk, seconds at a time before resetting. Again, I can appreciate the talent and application. Pep is a genius. But it’s really Fcuking boring to see the processions. It’s devoid of all passion as nothing is ever really on the line.
Instead of repeating what the majority have said, Ill just quote this post that sums up my feelings towards City.

Nicolarra90

I think the Pep robotic football has made this 'cold, distant' thing geater. When they had Balotelli, Tevez and whatnot they provoked more feelings out of me and others.
True. Here in south america they got a lot fans in the period 2010 to 2015. Then they got robotic and nobody really cares about them now. I've never met city fans in Chile, only sympathizers, but not real fans who would wake at 6am to watch a game.

adexkola

Supports
You're mixing domination with efficiency. You think 90s basketball was optimum efficieny? The NBA today is trending towards a snoozefest of the most efficient shot taking. Some sports like the NFL may never reach it due to so many variables but it ultimately reduces individualism and speculation. Freaks like Messi and Jordan are going to be exceptions.
That's fair. Replace the Bulls with the 2018 Warriors then. I've heard complaints of the game of basketball becoming more boring but that's overall... Not geared towards a specific team.

Nicolarra90

Yeah, but you could at least appreciate those teams even if they were boring at times, and they had entertaining characters.

City yes I’m concerned about them when we’re in a title race with them, but aside from the kompany moment it’s just boring and doesn’t really annoy me because it’s more a defeated well what do you do?? I can respect their football, but everything about the way they’ve achieved it and the way they’ve killed a lot of competition in this league has killed a lot of my excitement for the game. Despite us being a pretty good side these days. We put together a fantastic team with a great manager and did everything the right way, yet we can’t really have our cycle of dominance because there’s this other side that has unlimited resources. And it’s not like we’re going to be good forever, klopp will leave and it’ll be another sides turn to have a go at usurping them and at that point I’ll probably be glad they’re there to stop them because I’d rather them win it than any other side because it has no meaning.
It genuinely has killed my love of the game, I’m just glad I saw us win a league and CL because i don’t know if we’ll get another team like this, so I’m not taking it for granted.
I'm convinced football won't make it until next century anyway.

The interest has shifted. 15 years old nowadays rather watch the league of legends world cup than football.

eSports are the future, because people are lazy and there is still honest competition.

Football lost its honesty in the 00s and it's only downhill from there.[/QUOTE]

meamth

OP (Pogue) is spot on.

Chelsea and City, two clubs with expensive history, if you know what I mean..

It's not romantic, just bland story of buying success.

People remember Leicester, I don't remember any of City's title win except for that final day Aguero goal, just because they stole it from us.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
City are not Manchester city anymore, just a Manchester football wing of a wealth fund.

There is no hate, no joy and no passion with their football and their whole franchise.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Some of the replies in here are so naive.

Utd fans should be really fecking grateful for City during this period… because without them, trust me, the PL would be unbearable.

It’s terrifying to think of this Liverpool side without City being there to stop them.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
We are the only team that can beat them and we will. You know, to keep the interest going. They are like a machine that doesn’t stop and it does take a team like Liverpool at the top of their game to win against City. Ole did it but that was just unexplainable given the gulf in talent between united and City.
They've been beaten by like 5 different teams this season. None of those teams were Liverpool.