Do City leave you cold?

Yagami

Good post resistant
A lot of people say no one cares about them, and, correct me if I'm wrong, but it mainly comes from those outside of Manchester.

As a Mancunian, it definitely bothers me. No matter how they ended up getting to where they are, it still pains me to see how good they are. Do my fellow Mancs on here feel the same?

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
A lot of people say no one cares about them, and, correct me if I'm wrong, but it mainly comes from those outside of Manchester.

As a Mancunian, it definitely bothers me. No matter how they ended up getting to where they are, it still pains me to see how good they are. Do my fellow Mancs on here feel the same?
I think a lot of your supporters feel as you do but won’t admit it. The whole oil money sugar daddy thing is a great excuse to use to mask the pain I guess. If it was Everton doing this to Liverpool I would be destroyed. Everton were the team when I was a kid and still are enemy number one. I don’t know ,maybe City aren’t seen as bitter rivals to united like Everton are to Liverpool. There’s just no way this can’t be bothering united supporters.

EtH

I think a lot of your supporters feel as you do but won’t admit it. The whole oil money sugar daddy thing is a great excuse to use to mask the pain I guess. If it was Everton doing this to Liverpool I would be destroyed. Everton were the team when I was a kid and still are enemy number one. I don’t know ,maybe City aren’t seen as bitter rivals to united like Everton are to Liverpool. There’s just no way this can’t be bothering united supporters.
It should be bothering supporters of every club as it’s making a mockery of the league and the game. That is the real crux of the matter. I find it bizarre that so many are so ho hum about it especially considering where the money has come from.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
We are the only team that can beat them and we will. You know, to keep the interest going. They are like a machine that doesn’t stop and it does take a team like Liverpool at the top of their game to win against City. Ole did it but that was just unexplainable given the gulf in talent between united and City.
They've been beaten by like 5 different teams this season. None of those teams were Liverpool.
:lol:

This is a dipper when they’re 10 points behind City… just imagine this PL era without City. fecking hell.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
It should be bothering supporters of every club as it’s making a mockery of the league and the game. That is the real crux of the matter. I find it bizarre that so many are so ho hum about it especially considering where the money has come from.
I agree. That’s why I can’t believe united supporters have been rooting for city to win the league the last few seasons just to stop Liverpool when it’s detrimental to the league in the long run. Just crazy.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I agree. That’s why I can’t believe united supporters have been rooting for city to win the league the last few seasons just to stop Liverpool when it’s detrimental to the league in the long run. Just crazy.
City mean nothing.

And watching dippers fail is one of the best feelings in football - and I say that as a borderline neutral.

Your fanbase is simply unbearable.

EtH

City mean nothing.

And watching dippers fail is one of the best feelings in football - and I say that as a borderline neutral.

Your fanbase is simply unbearable.
A nothing club intimidating the governing authorities of football and doing whatever the feck they want basically because their fascist owners have all of the money and none of the morals.

But yeah. At least Pool aren’t winning the league eh.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
So you were cheering for ManUtd to win the league when Chelsea and City were competing with ManUtd for league title?

Greyfog

Supports
Enugu Rangers
As a neutral, I find Pep's style very entertaining (yes sometimes it is boring when it is just side ways passing like it was at the end in Barca when teams put 10 players in the box). It's just different from anything out there. Like yesterday when they were a goal down and kept playing the same way, though I have seen them get desperate and spam crosses into the box.

Didn't watch him at Bayern because I didn't expect any sort of challenge. He has taken a long long time to sort himself out in the CL with City. Feels like every season there was one thought he had to implement and after the final I will be surprised if he makes a curious decision again.

Besides when I watch Liverpool, most of the time they are spamming crosses from the full backs, granted TAA's deliveries are a joy to watch. Chelsea is just a turd to watch.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
If it was us winning the “lottery of ownership”, I suspect us fans would be singing a different tune. I find City’s football efficient and effective. I don’t actually see any negative in that.

Football is played in many different ways. There is beauty in our game too as we adapt to Ralf’s system.

Zen86

I’d rather they weren’t where they are, but they’re not really the same club I grew up hating. It’s the same name and primary colour, but the rest of that club was erased.

They couldn’t even forge their own new identity either, they just pillaged and imitated the most successful club of the time. Just completely soulless, which is why nobody really cares that much.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think part of the issue is we are basically not competing with them for anything. They are so far ahead of us.
If they were beating us to the title by a point or two, I can guarantee we would care.
On a side note, I admire them. They are a testament to what team chemistry can achieve. Simply because individually, I don't see anything special about them but they are so mechanical that they are to are huge extent better than the sum of their parts. In a way, its beautiful to see.

Bennie Blanco

I hear what you're saying.

I do find City's brand of football absolutely amazing to watch. I'm 30 years old, but I'm an old soul and I've developed an old school attitude towards football as I've gotten older. Meaning, that I applaud good football. I've no problem congratulating Liverpool or City whenever they win something, and it's actually genuine when I do so.

I love United, and I take most joy out of beating City, Liverpool and Leeds. But as much as I love our rivalry with said teams, my animosity towards them is fading.

We're shit at the moment and I've accepted that, but I'm actually looking forward to see us climb back to the top.

I enjoy our wins more than I used to because we have to work hard for them and I don't have to look at the table that very often. Fair to say that I just love watching football in General a bit more these days.

FattyFooty

Best football? Its boring shit.

I like SAFs back and forth super exiting counters and high speed.

City is without soul. Aguero is probably better than what everyone remebered. But who cares, he played in that good/boring shitty team.

I remeber how they used to wow, at Yaya. They had never seen a half exiting player before.

City: Toure, Silva, Aguero, Kompany, Cancelo.

United: Best, Cantona, Beckham, Ronaldo, Scholes, Keane, Robson, Yorke and Cole.

Just look at the players we had playing at the Theatre of dreams.

Yeah City is good, in 10 years i wont remeber anyone of them.

Grande

This is more for me. I’m ambivalent to the financial strength of United and the big market capitalism grounds of it, and yet the despot whitewashing circus show of City and a few others is a steep step for football into even darker territory.

Not growing up a manc, I don’t have the logical rivalry with City, actually I quite liked them as a kid due to their pretty colours and cool first name (kids!), and I do get some of the bland feeling that I used to get from Guardiola’s machine-like football at Barca and Bayern, and of Sugar Daddy clubs like Abramovitch’s first Chelsea epoch. I just hate Liverpool a lot more, and that sort of irrational, unhealthy way.

But what makes me snap out of it is when I look at City and see that it works: A group of rich oppressors can take ridiculous amounts of money and buy a team - administrators and ball boys included - and dominate world football, just to get people to forget about their oppression, and no matter how exposed they are, loads of people actually range from ‘that’s fine’ to ‘oh well’. It actually makes me sad, when it doesn’t make me angry. May Liverpool beat them 10 out of 10 times until that project is rid, if it ever is.

UpWithRivers

I was thinking this the other day. Even though we are sht its quite entertaining being a United supporter. All the twists and turns and back stabbing and failures. Its like a thriller/drama/ soap opera. Where as City is like Shakespeare or classical music. Yeah its beautiful and you can appreciate how good it is sometimes. Its something you can enjoy with a glass wine and some cheese and say things like - ' I enjoyed the parody of psychological denseness and virtuoso control. Its a long delayed contemplation of masculinity in an everchanging world'. But really is just fking boring.

Ladron de redcafe

Mmm. Free we only have basic stats to compare, like wins, points, goals for and against, etc. Anyways, barcelona had 87(+70), 99(+74), 96(+74) and 91(+85). City 100(+79), 98(+72), 81(+67), 86(+51). Have to account for Covid for the last two seasons, and liverpool for 19/20 going like 26 weeks unbeaten with like 2 draws...

We have understats imperfect xP model, but it doesn't go far back enough for barcelona. City put up truly monster seasons in 17/18(91+) and 18/19(90+) but both pale compared to MSN barcelona
Thank you. In terms of points totals, this current team is really impressive. Liverpool won 24 of 25 matches at one point, if I remember correctly, which has to be the craziest run I've ever seen.

stevoc

Right? And of course Liverpool fans definitely never rooted for Chelsea or City to win league titles to stop United winning some over the last 20 years. Never happened.

Ludens the Red

A nothing club intimidating the governing authorities of football and doing whatever the feck they want basically because their fascist owners have all of the money and none of the morals.

But yeah. At least Pool aren’t winning the league eh.
I get your point but I think there’s a defeated acceptance to it because that’s just how the world works and not just in football. The Premier League allows for this shit to happen and that’s just how it is.
But football is about tribalism, stories, an identity and romanticism. City have none of it at all. Like someone said, they stole another clubs identity. They don't develop their own (bar Foden) they don’t have a story to tell. Other than “rich Arab buys football club and spends a gazillions pounds to make it good”. Their ground is soul-less no matter how much Gary Neville bigs it up. It’s just different with Liverpool. The 20–19 is important, we share so many similarities that the competitive feel with them outweighs anything about city, even then having facist owners. The concept of being a football fan is illogical after all…

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
The irrelevance of City will be brought into a harsher light when Newcastle become successful. The Toon Army won’t be leaving seats empty and forcing their manager to beg them to take an interest and turn up to matches. Newcastle will be a club the media cares about and other fans despise. Despite the money, they will mean something. They won’t leave anyone cold.

Kag

Completely agree. As you say, even when we were good there was drama and theatre.

City are clinical and ruthless, and a brilliant football team. It’s all artificial and soulless, however. The Dubai of football teams.

Liverpool winning again came with some sort of spirit and meaning, the bastards.

captaincantona

Not being funny but can you genuinely and with facts and detail explain the points you’re making?

Oranges038

Predictable, robotic and joyless.

Yes they win, yes they score goals, but it's like cheating or finding a way to beat a computer game and using that over and over to beat it. Eventually it just gets boring.

Even their own fans at the games are silent. I watched the CL game against RB, finished 6-3 or whatever and you'd think it was a funeral procession that was going through.

I think they liked the misery more than the joy of winning.

Statue of Limitations

They are the only side capable, (and somewhat expected to) put a dozen wins together at least once a season.
They are relentless, so it's not that they leave me cold, more that they leave me resigned that we won't be top dogs in Manchester in the forseeable future.

Currently they are stopping Liverpool from blitzing our league title record, a silver lining.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah they bore the life out of me. I hate Liverpool and City but I’ll watch Liverpool games because they’re usually objectively entertaining. The football is more swashbuckling and I can appreciate that. They also got there without being gifted shitloads of money so there is that respect there from other teams.

City on the other hand I rarely like to watch. It’s dull, calculated and there’s no freedom to it. Unquestionably good and successful but surely that’s the least you expect from a club with a bottomless pit of money that has the best manager. There’s nothing feel-good about them and their fans know it.

sillwuka

I'm 30, grew up and still live in Manchester so i've been surrounded by rival fans all my life. I used to despise the club under Eriksson and up until the Mancini era.

Nearly 10 years on.. my hatred has eroded and turned into an indifference, the club leaves me cold. They don't really have any dislikeable players either. I'd rather City win the league over Liverpool at this point.

Guy Incognito

Sad thing is they will eventually roll all the records as well, their dominance will one day progress into Europe as well.

This model is designed to dominate the game we love forever. Financially only PSG and Newcastle can match them but it's clear the City business men are light years ahead of the game and what they've built is designed to kill competition.
Before Guardiola joined City, the record for most consecutive wins was something like 14.

Since then, that record has been smashed by City, Liverpool, City again and I think Chelsea were one off it under Conte. All those sides went on to win the league.

He has raised the bar and TBF, it's nothing less than we expect. Their squad and how they are coached is built for a league season. The model isn't exactly perfect in cup competitions, and they'll probably be caught out again in Europe.

What gets me is the media come out with statements like we've never seen 'good' football before Guardiola arrived. I thought English football was at its best circa 96-04, when players had more freedom to express themselves.

Adisa

Before Guardiola joined City, the record for most consecutive wins was something like 14.

Since then, that record has been smashed by City, Liverpool, City again and I think Chelsea were one off it under Conte. All those sides went on to win the league.

He has raised the bar and TBF, it's nothing less than we expect. Their squad and how they are coached is built for a league season. The model isn't exactly perfect in cup competitions, and they'll probably be caught out again in Europe.

What gets me is the media come out with statements like we've never seen 'good' football before Guardiola arrived. I thought English football was at its best circa 96-04, when players had more freedom to express themselves.
In terms of pure entertainment, I think we have seen better from a lot of great teams of the last. But in terns of pure quality, I don't think anyone has matched the City side in EPL era. Its not just about how good they are on their day, its their consistency. Their bottom level is ridiculously high.
For a squad that really isn't all that, I think you just have to hold your hat and say they have a special special coach.

sangria

In terms of pure entertainment, I think we have seen better from a lot of great teams of the last. But in terns of pure quality, I don't think anyone has matched the City side in EPL era. Its not just about how good they are on their day, its their consistency. Their bottom level is ridiculously high.
For a squad that really isn't all that, I think you just have to hold your hat and say they have a special special coach.
Which begs the question, why do they feel the need to cheat and litigate on top of all the advantages they have?

dinostar77

Personally i thought they were great under Pellegrini. Kompany, Yaya Toure, David Silva, Aguero at their peak made them formidable. They were more direct in their play.

Pep's City are more spainish in their play imo, but i have seen very little of them this season.

There will be a drop off when pep leaves which is inevitable, however PL eventually could beckme a arms race between abu dhabi and saudi arabia so we could have long periods of domination by City and Newcastle unless their owners get bored or hire ed woodward and sabotage their own chances.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Good is subjective. I think they combine good and effective better than anyone this PL has seen.

Even competing with your best Fergie teams I'll look at a Blackburn away here and a Portsmouth away there and see potential for dropped points.

Even though we haven't properly competed with the peak Pep City team over a season there's been a few times we've been in or around them half way through, looking at their fixtures is brutal because I can't barely forsee the potential for any dropped points any where usually.

Adisa

Which begs the question, why do they feel the need to cheat and litigate on top of all the advantages they have?
A lot of the cheating was done on their way to the top. They should still be punished for it though and it's a scandal that they got away with it.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
One thing I'll say about City, both on and off the field, they tend to make the right decisions. And often decisions that the average fan wouldn't be privy to or spot.

With United it often feels like you could take 5 clued up fans and install them high up in the club and you'd get better input from a football pov. Competence is the biggest difference between the two Manchester clubs.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I don't think I've ever watched a City match unless it was was final or vs us.

It's too boring to watch as a neutral.