Music Do/did you get less interested in music as you get/got older?

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Earlier I asked a girl if she was into music and she said she is but not as much as she used to be, and said maybe it comes with age.

For me this is literally the opposite

But it got me wondering if it's the case for most people when it comes to listening to music, and not discovering as much new stuff etc. How about you, person who is reading this?

HarlanEiffler

I had a time in my early twenties where I got a little bit fatigued with the scene I was in (Hardcore Punk), because of Beatdown and the whole macho-overkill during the late 00's and early 10's. I almost completely stopped listening to Hardcore, and generally most music because I didn't feel it anymore (this had also to do with a toxic relationship and other things going on in my mid-20s). Since 2016 this changed for me, and I listen to a lot more music, and found my passion for Hardcore and Punk again. I re-discovered it as a way to blow off steam and process a lot of my anger/anxiety/fears, and my partner introduced me to a lot of different music as well, for which I am truly grateful.

tl;dr: I can understand why somebody can fall "out of love" with music, particularly if they used to listen to music that demands a lot of attention/activism. I think this love can be rediscovered.

Handsome Devil

I'm 62 and my love for music is as strong as ever. 40 years ago, the only reliable exposure to new music was John Peel, watching OGWT, or reading NME.
Now there is Spotify, Mixcloud, SoundCloud, internet radio and a myriad other streaming sites. It's never been so accessible.
But some people will only treat music as a pleasant background noise and not see it as an essential joyful part of life. It's just the way it is.
Gravitate to people who feel like you do.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yes, I love music and used it as a crutch daily but nowadays I don’t have the time to find new music so I usually just stick to what I’ve been listening to unless I hear something great.

After I got married and had a son, whenever we listen to music it’s either a vinyl or the radio. I only listen to my Spotify on occasion when I walk to work.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I’ve got more interested in older music as I get older. Going through pink Floyd, tom petty and doors albums etc is not something I did when I was younger but love it now

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Occasionally I'll put heart 80s or absolute 90s on the radio, but that's about it. Which is pretty sad really for someone who is only 31.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I got into music in high school, as in I started to actively seek new music out and figure out what appealed to me. Then I started going to festivals in my late teens, which also meant I started looking through entire line-ups to find the artists I liked. This exposed me to hundreds of new artists and albums, some of which are now my favourites. I still do this if I'm going to a festival, however, circumstances has resulted in me going slightly less. Also, it seems like fewer artists stick with me these days, i.e. even if I listen to the entire line up I'll pick out fewer that I really want to see.
I still look up reviews on Pitchfork etc. to see what's going on, but yeah, artists are less likely to stick with me it seems. I'm 29 now.

EDIT: Another thing: It seems like the annual music thread on here sees fewer and fewer posts. When I first joined it was a way more busy thread and I posted in it a lot too.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'm 30 and I still listen to as much or more than I used to. It seems like more and more good stuff gets released every year though, so a lot is still passing me by. There are piles of albums over the last few years that I've listened to and enjoyed once only to never go back to again because something else caught my attention.

The only difference is that fewer artists are immediately clicking with me in a way that makes them feel essential in the way they used to when I was a teen, which is probably a result of being able to place them in a greater context now. There are albums I listen to now and really like but suspect I would have adored if I heard them when I was 17.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Earlier I asked a girl if she was into music and she said she is but not as much as she used to be, and said maybe it comes with age.

For me this is literally the opposite

But it got me wondering if it's the case for most people when it comes to listening to music, and not discovering as much new stuff etc. How about you, person who is reading this?

Same here.

Music has always been a big part of my life, but when i was really young i suppose i wasn't into it THAT much. But since i've gotten older i listen to more and more of it. Started to learn the guitar when i was 18 so that motivated me to listen to different kinds of music, and now i have a pretty eclectic taste.

Don't know where i would be without, tbh.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
I listen to less music now because I mostly listen to podcasts.

Plus I have a generally pessimistic attitude towards new music.

Acole9

Outstanding
I listen to more than I used to, dipped in my early twenties though.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Last few years I've pretty much stopped listening to music. All the time I get to give to this stuff is now aimed towards my own music.

GBBQ

Tastes change, whats popular now isn't what I was into growing up so I'm less likely to be excited by a new band as I was 20 years ago. Not to say that there's not great music out there, there is, but I have to search a lot harder to find the type of album i can get addicted to.

Streaming also cheapens the experience as well. If I spent 20 quid on an album when i was 16 I was definitely going to listen to it to death until I could decide if I liked it. Now I hear there's a must hear album and i might give 3/4 tracks a spin before getting bored!

arnie_ni

Less and less as i got older.

Used to listen to music virtually 24x7 when in secondary school.

Would fall asleep listening to the ipod, had one ear in throughout the day in class, would have it on in the background at home when I was playing the xbox or playstation and when I was at the gym (weights bench in the garage).

The only time i didnt listen to music was when I was playing sport or having a proper conversation with someone.

As ive got older, with work etc i just dont bother with it anymore. Still partial to a bit of house at the weekends though!

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I think I will always listen to music. What I do find now though as I enter middle age is that I don't listen to much new music any more, more a case of discovering old music that I've never tried or gotten around to before. Listening to The Who at the moment.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Nope, still love music but my taste has changed and my sprectrum has broadened.

No longer do I listen to what is deemed cool, just what I enjoy. I thank Spotify for that, it's a fantastic product.

Music has a great way of working with your emotions.

Siorac

It was never really one of my primary interests; music is something I listen to sometimes and I appreciate it when it's good but I'm not really in any scene.

These days I listen to a lot more instrumental stuff, as well as film and video game soundtracks. Basically I prefer background music while doing something else.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
First album, T-Rex Slider. (Still love it)
Last album, can't remember.

Spotify mostly and no I didn't get less interested in music. My tastes have broadened exponentially to the point where I'll listen to most things between difficult jazz and Babyshambles.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
According to Spotify, I listened to 125.066 minutes of music this year, so for me it's getting more and more.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Don't listen to it at all in my spare time any more really as I'll always have some tv show or movie on as background noise while I game/browse this fecking place.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Listen to it less than I used to be it used to be every waking minute anyway.

Don't find as many new songs I like though.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I find it difficult now because there is access to so much and it can be a bit daunting trying to look and find new music to listen to, so I just end up listening to the same stuff :lol:

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I find it difficult now because there is access to so much and it can be a bit daunting trying to look and find new music to listen to, so I just end up listening to the same stuff :lol:
Do you use Spotify? Just stick an album on and let it carry on playing the auto generated playlist of suggested stuff that it plays after, that's one of the best ways to find new music IMO.