Do Liverpool and City really look unstoppable?

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
City's standards "dropping a lot" could just be reverting back to the points total where they don't spawn about 10-15 points late in games. Re: Liverpool were they really that good at the back end of last season? Under Klopp they die a horrible death down the stretch of seasons when the insane amount of pressing catches up to them.
Except we don't actually. It's a myth. Despite going all the way to the CL final, & losing Coutinho in January, we still obtained more points in the 2nd half of last season than we did in the first. & that's not even taking into account us fielding weakened sides against Stoke, Everton, & WBA, where we drew all 3 matches.

Mcking

City have looked far from unstoppable in their last 2 games.

Expecting them to prioritise the Champions League this season anyway, meaning the door will be open for Liverpool. Shudder.
But they still looked very much like that last season team imo.

GM K

Don’t think so.

Which is odd to think when City won it so monstrously last season.
Many people still refuse to accept the reality that City's run to the title last season was a one in a generation type. I am calling it: the gap between first and second this season will not be more than 6 points.

Jagga7

They're not unstoppable, but they are far ahead of us and definitely the top 2 contenders for the league this season.

GM K

I like this season. I like the way pundits, ABUs and many of our own fans in here have written us off. That's very good omen. The start of last season was the exact opposite. We looked like genuine title contenders and many were talking us up. Well, we know how that ended. I am not saying with certainty that we will win the title this season but I have a strong feeling we'll be shocking many people.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I like this season. I like the way pundits, ABUs and many of our own fans in here have written us off. That's very good omen. The start of last season was the exact opposite. We looked like genuine title contenders and many were talking us up. Well, we know how that ended. I am not saying with certainty that we will win the title this season but I have a strong feeling we'll be shocking many people.
Depends if Man. City or Liverpool shoot 90 + points this season.

If that happens Man. United can really only afford to drop 15 more points, basically winning 28 of your last 34 games.

For a team that struggles to keep clean sheets and has a current manager that frequently plays for draws in many away games I'd say focusing more on finishing in the top 4 is more realistic target.

pacifictheme

WTF does that have to do with title credentials? You were having orgasms over their performances last year and they still managed to win feck all.
I think you have me confused with someone else pal.

Proper thicko post that one.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
1. City
2. Chelsea
3. Liverpool
4. United
5. Spurs
6. Arsenal

That’s how I see it finishing. City will win easily, Chelsea look pretty good and Liverpool look fluid too. However, I reckon they’ll have their usual meltdown around Christmas time and balls things up.

haram

You need to watch more football if you think Liverpool are unstoppable.

Dante

Average bang
1. City
2. Chelsea
3. Liverpool
4. United
5. Spurs
6. Arsenal

That’s how I see it finishing. City will win easily, Chelsea look pretty good and Liverpool look fluid too. However, I reckon they’ll have their usual meltdown around Christmas time and balls things up.
Are you a member of the ABU media?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
City will get 100 points again this season imo. There are 14 poor teams in the league and I can see them pulverising most of them. Liverpool have had lucky calls so far, pen against palace, at least one offside goal. City got robbed v wolves.

Liverpool will drop more points against the weaker teams, also more vulnerable to injuries as smaller squad. They have tended to choke under pressure in finals too. Remains to be seen how they'll cope with the pressure if doing well in the league.

Unless City get robbed by the officials every week I expect they'll cruise the title again. Even with the de Bruyne out for 3 months or so.

GM K

Depends if Man. City or Liverpool shoot 90 + points this season.

If that happens Man. United can really only afford to drop 15 more points, basically winning 28 of your last 34 games.

For a team that struggles to keep clean sheets and has a current manager that frequently plays for draws in many away games I'd say focusing more on finishing in the top 4 is more realistic target.
This because we have had a bad start to the season Just four games in?
And minus the big games against the top teams, when did Jose become a manager that plays for draws in away games? Didn't we just win our last away game?

If we are going to judge purely on the strength of this season alone, City and Liverpool will be dropping points along the way, so let's see how things turn out for them.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Not been particularly impressed by either side yet, for my money Chelsea have looked the best so far but it's early days yet and I expect Liverpool and City to be right in the thick of it at the end of the season. Picking up points even without playing well is a very important aspect for good teams.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
They are not unstoppable, they just look way ahead of us. We need to buck up our ideas.
I see some people overly touchy about the praise the other two clubs get. Will continue to be the case as long as we struggle to play well .

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
You need to watch more football if you think Liverpool are unstoppable.
They're not unstoppable but their turn around in defense while keeping up their goal scoring is very impressive. Signing Van Dijk made a big difference in their defense (and relegating Mignolet to the bench). Having said that, they've got a very tough run of fixtures coming up. Impressive turn around for Chelsea so far, could be a real threat this year if they continue to improve. Personally think City, Liverpool, Spurs will finish in the Top 4 and it's a dice roll on whether Chelsea or us finish inside. You can say what you like about Tottenhams bottle, but they're consistent. Arsenal have too many problems in defense to be a genuine threat this year.

Liverpool
PL in the calendar year

45 goals scored
11 clean sheets
15 goals conceded
46 points in 21 games
Wins: 14
Draws: 4
Loses: 3

Manchester City
PL in the calendar year

56 goals scored
8 clean sheets
18 goals conceded
51 points in 21 games
Wins: 16
Draws: 3
Loses: 2

Manchester Utd
PL in the calendar year

31 goals scored
9 clean sheets
19 goals conceded
43 points in 21 games
Wins: 14
Draws: 1
Loses: 6

Tottenham
PL in the calendar year

44 goals scored
9 clean sheets
20 goals conceded
49 points in 22 games
Wins: 15
Loses: 3

Chelsea
PL in the calendar year

33 goals scored
7 clean sheets
27 goals conceded
37 points in 22 games
Wins: 11
Loses: 6

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Of course they arent unstoppable, far from it. Also I would say Chelsea will be up there alongside them this season. The point though is that they are well, well ahead of us and all 3 will finish ahead of us while playing attacking/attractive football.

Canagel

Man City and Liverpool aren't unstoppable but their managers have instilled the belief that they can be unstoppable. That's the key. Both teams have full belief in their managers methods and everyone more or less knows what to expect when they play. Last season they were the strongest two teams in the second half of the season. That's why they are the top contenders to win the league. Player for player we are better than Liverpool and we have enough to challenge Man City but we aren't cohesive enough. It doesn't matter what players you have if you don't play as a team.
Chelsea are outside challengers but the EL will mess with the PL campaign and they will drop points quickly.

Last edited:

JSArsenal

I wonder what will happen if Liverpool wins nothing again this season. All that money spent.

Klopp's job will still be safe but I can't see things continuing as is for too long if they have nothing to show for it. Thank god for City because I can't stand Liverpool or the idea of them winning the league.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Last season doesn’t matter much to me, and I definitely feel we can win the league. We will need to find a rhythm, preferably soon, but that does happen, and we do have quality. Requires a lot of things falling into place.

That said, Chelsea will win the league I think.

Kapardin

Quality wise, we are there with Liverpool man-for-man barring our right flank. We can certainly overtake them if Jose pulls his finger out and focuses on maximizing the squad's potential. And just as we aren't "unstoppable", neither are Liverpool.

City are very close to the quality of Euopean elite. They aren't unstoppable, but it will require a few silly mistakes by them for us or Liverpool or Chelsea to catch them.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Only Chelsea will stop either of them winning the league. People seem to be talking up our chances because we beat Burnley, something Fulham and Watford also did comfortably.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Liverpool have improved their squad and look pretty solid all over the pitch, but aren't playing at the level they did last season yet. Hopefully stays that way and they'll drop points if so.

Can't say much about City yet, but they've already shown themselves to not be unstoppable. I don't think they'll be as good. They run off motivation and it must be hard to keep that up.

haram

Only Chelsea will stop either of them winning the league. People seem to be talking up our chances because we beat Burnley, something Fulham and Watford also did comfortably.
Watford also beat Spurs. Fulham were at home. People were optimistic after Burnley because of the way we played. Everyone talks up the other teams because of the way they play as well.

RD76

Anyone calling themselves a United fan whilst praising the scousers or city is a hippie and should be banned.

They're shit. End of.

The_Midfielder

Chelsea were pretty crap for the first few games , in Conte's first season, but later they went on a run and won the league .. so you can never know what will happen.. City with all that depth should win it .. but if Hazard is on full form, they can win it too .. our defense is weak so we do not stand a chance to win it..Liverpool look good with squad.. Spurs are spurs ..

Johnny Love

Both of them are favourites for the title that is for sure, however I don't think either will runaway with the title. What City did last year does not happen very often, a lot of things have to go your way for those kind of seasons to happen. I predict the table at the top will be much closer this season.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
We don’t look unstoppable, far from it.

We do look much better defensively though which is usually what holds us back.

We’ve got Spurs, Chelsea and City in the next five games. Judge us after that.

City will probably win it again.

Greck

Admire the optimism but two losses is a far bigger hole than many realise. We'd have to go on an amazing streak and even pick up points at the most unlikely venues. Seriously low margin for error. On a related note would like to know which teams have overcome this kind of deficit in past seasons and if it's a realistic goal

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Arsenal sliced city open numerous times and were let down by poor finishing.

More teams will press city this season and not let them dictate 90% of games.

They won't be anywhere near their form last season.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
If city drop to non-record breaking levels, this could be a hell of a title race this year.

Alabaster Codify7

Unstoppable? No.

Much better than us? Yes.

It's a two-horse race between those two scumbag teams this season with Chelsea potentially being a third contender.

ash_86

Liverpool does looks a bit shaky and are lucky to win all their game tbf. They have spent a lot and that will add to the pressure to win something. City looks more or less similar to last season and hence will win it. I could us pipping Pool to second if we manage to go on a run of results.

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
Its far too early. I can't speak for Liverpool but City have basically had an extended pre-season for the first four games.

automaticflare

Liverpool have not been much improved they have got results

They look lot poorer than last season going forward IMo and have been lucky in a couple of games to get wins where they could easily have dropped points. To be fair that is good turn up from their perspective but hardly unstoppable

City imo will win it again with some to spare

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Not impressed with our performances so far but maximum points isn't anything to be sniffed at.
We'll take a bit of time to get going properly and I think our next run of games has probably come one international break too soon for us. I expect a few draws and a couple of losses in the next 7 games.

After the next international break though, I'd like to think that we'll be firing again properly and whilst we're not going to win the league this season, we'll be up there challenging.