Do we extend Ole's contract?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
This is such a Man Utd move if its true.

We literally have no need to offer him a new contract. He hasn't achieved much in 2 and a half years. No other top European club will be frantically chasing his signature.

So what do we do? With 1 year left on his contract we offer him 3 years, so when we sack him in December, there's more compensation to pay.

We are run by donkeys.
Read my comment, it explains why this happens in a nice easy to grasp format.

McTerminator

Whether you do or you don’t football as a sport has been dull for about 7 years. Terrible entertainment now with the way the game is officiated.

to be clear that’s a criticism of the rules and not always the officials.

people keep waiting for a manager to bring the spark back, but I think the game itself is part of the problem now. We’ve just been so focused on our own demise we haven’t noticed it happen.

croadyman

Weird way of saying Villareal were playing "Park the Bus and hold on for dear life" in the second half.
We blew it by not kicking on after the equaliser and looked totally gassed throughout ET as well

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
We blew it by not kicking on after the equaliser and looked totally gassed throughout ET as well
We had 15 minutes there after the equalizer where it was a one way game on goal?

Nevertheless: The players should have won the game. I blame the players for not playing good enough.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Hell no, if he has better options then he can take it. I like Ole and still think he could be the guy, but make him earn it.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I can't imagine any transfer targets care about whether Ole has a long contract or an expiring one. They aren't joining for a manager that isn't proven at the highest level and won nothing at the highest level.

They are coming for the money, fans, stadium club, chance to play in the PL/CL. Where does this whole theory come from? Seems so made up just to defend giving Ole an extension.

I am sure these same fans argued that Phil Jones deserved a contract extension so that United could get a fee for him..

Failing now earns you contract extensions at United.

Rolaholic

This is such a Man Utd move if its true.

We literally have no need to offer him a new contract. He hasn't achieved much in 2 and a half years. No other top European club will be frantically chasing his signature.

So what do we do? With 1 year left on his contract we offer him 3 years, so when we sack him in December, there's more compensation to pay.

We are run by donkeys.
Frustrating innit?

The decisions the club makes continuously boggle the mind

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Well it's not is it. They were hardly up against City in the league. If we'd finished bottom of a group that easy people would have been calling for Oles head.

Irrelevant to that it shows it's not black and white.

Conte the great manager was bottom of an awful group. We on the other hand made it to the semis of the FA cup losing to the winners, similar in the League Cup, beat all the teams we did in Europe, losing on pens in the final, and finished second in the league to a ridiculously good team in City who in all probability are going to win the CL.

You can ignore all the good in our season and all the circumstances to make out our season is bad all you want. To ignore all the bad in Contes for winning a fairly easy league though, is pretty ironic.
How is it a fairly easy league? They haven't won a title for longer than we have. You can't just negate a league title because in your opinion it's an easy league? It's one of the top 4 leagues in Europe, and they won it this year. It is straight up weird to try and downplay that or claim finishing as a runner up is in any way comparable.

Though if you are ok with saying top 4 finish with no trophy is a good season, go ahead. It's fine, but it's the bare minimum and nothing more.

Robindinho

Of course we shouldn’t. We will though.

How we’re run, it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s already signed but they’re too scared of the backlash to announce it yet.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Never. Waaaaay too little to deserve an extension, he is lucky to still be in the job as it is.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
This club is so fecked for the foreseeable future.

Walters_19_MuFc

We're going in the right direction and whether Ole is here in the next 2-3 years or not, what he has done, and is in the process of doing, is balancing the squad.

Let's be honest, the squad was all over the place when he first arrived, regarding age and ability. He's got rid of a lot of the deadwood, so to speak, and the balance of our squad is much better. By no means are we fully there but if Ole left tomorrow, we'd certainly be in a much better place than we were when Mourinho left, for example.

Personally, I like the direction we're going and because of that, I am happy for Ole to continue. Three semi-finals and one final. Whilst we obviously want to be winning those, to be so consistent in getting to the latter stages is progress.

The next step will now obviously be winning something. Yes, yesterday was a great opportunity but it wasn't meant to be.

If Ole gets can secure his transfer targets for next season, then I have no doubt we'll be bringing home some silverware.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
The guy's steadied the boat, give him credit for that. Can't fault the away record and working with, let's be honest, a very poor squad depth.

However, I have this gut feeling we will slowly sink (pardon the pun) if he stays for 2/3 more years. He just doesnt have the tactical nous that the top managers do to get through these big games.

I do dearly hope he can bring some success, I really do, but something isnt quite there that convinces me. The weird thing for me was hearing him speak before the match and I instantly felt uncomfortable about the outcome. No cajones perhaps?

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Hope he gets 5 years, just to see the meltdown in here.

He'll do well, and i'm looking forward to many years under him.

*prepares for notification spam* :lol:

Judas

Open to offers
Weird way of saying Villareal were playing "Park the Bus and hold on for dear life" in the second half.
Holding on for dear life is a bit of a stress. We put pressure on but it never felt like they were close to cracking really. It never got desperate for them did it? We had a couple of shots on target.

We certainly look more worried about losing in extra time, that or we were knackered or a combination of both.

Walters_19_MuFc

The guy's steadied the boat, give him credit for that. Can't fault the away record and working with, let's be honest, a very poor squad depth.

However, I have this gut feeling we will slowly sink (pardon the pun) if he stays for 2/3 more years. He just doesnt have the tactical nous that the top managers do to get through these big games.

I do dearly hope he can bring some success, I really do, but something isnt quite there that convinces me. The weird thing for me was hearing him speak before the match and I instantly felt uncomfortable about the outcome. No cajones perhaps?
But continues to outwit top managers tactically?

croadyman

We're going in the right direction and whether Ole is here in the next 2-3 years or not, what he has done, and is in the process of doing, is balancing the squad.

Let's be honest, the squad was all over the place when he first arrived, regarding age and ability. He's got rid of a lot of the deadwood, so to speak, and the balance of our squad is much better. By no means are we fully there but if Ole left tomorrow, we'd certainly be in a much better place than we were when Mourinho left, for example.

Personally, I like the direction we're going and because of that, I am happy for Ole to continue. Three semi-finals and one final. Whilst we obviously want to be winning those, to be so consistent in getting to the latter stages is progress.

The next step will now obviously be winning something. Yes, yesterday was a great opportunity but it wasn't meant to be.

If Ole gets can secure his transfer targets for next season, then I have no doubt we'll be bringing home some silverware.
Him having more players to choose from just makes me worried he will be even less confident than right now

meamth

If a PE teacher/inexperienced/newbie manager can reach 2 semi finals, one final, 2 consecutive Champions league place finish, I couldn't complain.

If that is his trajectory, he should achieve bigger things.

croadyman

He does, cant fault his record vs big teams. But how many times of those games were based on pure attacking football, or 10 men behind and utilise the pace for a counter-attack? Its not exactly Klopp's gegenpress or Tika Taka, is it?
Yeah we win those games because teams give us space and eventually we will all wake up to that fact

Walters_19_MuFc

He does, cant fault his record vs big teams. But how many times of those games were based on pure attacking football, or 10 men behind and utilise the pace for a counter-attack? Its not exactly Klopp's gegenpress or Tika Taka, is it?
The only game where we sat back was against City, which they do to everyone. As the saying goes; however, there's more than one way to skin a cat. Ole has faced Pep 8 times and won 4, so if it's not broke, why fix it?

As for the other games, I'd say they were pretty much even. Take PSG under Tuchel, for example. I personally believe we were better in two games, and possibly would have won two games had Fred not been sent off.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
The only game where we sat back was against City, which they do to everyone. As the saying goes; however, there's more than one way to skin a cat. Ole has faced Pep 8 times and won 4, so if it's not broke, why fix it?

As for the other games, I'd say they were pretty much even. Take PSG under Tuchel, for example. I personally believe we were better in two games, and possibly would have won two games had Fred not been sent off.
Actually going back to your original reply, its not exactly like he "outwitted" the rest of the original big six, did he?

Our PL record this season:
2 wins, 6 draws, 4 losses.

Granted the biggest of that was City away, but it doesnt scream masterclasses vs the PL best, does it?

Mike Oxard

Supports
City
We absolutely should give him a new contract. He’s improved us, got us to the Carabou Cup Semi and the Europa League Final. Stability is the United way. He’s definitely done enough to get a new contract.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
We absolutely should give him a new contract. He’s improved us, got us to the Carabou Cup Semi and the Europa League Final. Stability is the United way. He’s definitely done enough to get a new contract.
I agree! Really looking forward to three more years with Ole. It’s the best football we’ve had since Fergie. And with a full backing in the summer we can go further.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Rumors that United are leaning more towards extending him. I think his time is up. I wasn't convinced by him even if he won the Europa league, but United's form away from home was very impressive, but still too many managerial mistakes, it doesn't feel like there's real progression lately, I think he's had his shot.

keithsingleton

One year left on Ole's contract. Do we give him till the end of next season and risk unsettling him or do we secure him for a little bit longer in case he turns out alright?
Based on what? Wouldn't you want him to prove himself before offering him a new contract? It's not as if teams are bending over trying to sign him.

bsCallout

How is it a fairly easy league? They haven't won a title for longer than we have. You can't just negate a league title because in your opinion it's an easy league? It's one of the top 4 leagues in Europe, and they won it this year. It is straight up weird to try and downplay that or claim finishing as a runner up is in any way comparable.

Though if you are ok with saying top 4 finish with no trophy is a good season, go ahead. It's fine, but it's the bare minimum and nothing more.
Well done, ignore all the other points. That Inter team wouldn't have a chance in the Prem for a start. It is a poor league. It's a very good win to beat Juve to the title for sure, it's still a poor league. It tells you all you need to know when they take Sanchez, Young, Darmian and Lukaku off us to win it.

Then you make that final statement that is just ridiculous and childishly dismissive. Actually offer up a point.

el3mel

But continues to outwit top managers tactically?
Our record in big games this season was crap. 2 wins out of 10 games. People who keep talking about our great record in big games must have stopped counting after the end of the last season.

mancan92

What's the point of extending? The only reason is if he is likely to go elsewhere. Let's be honest no top level club is going to offer him an opportunity so it's entirely pointless from a business standpoint.

Morpheus 7

No, he's not good enough. Beat by a side that would be lucky to finish 10th in the premier league. Coaching is shocking, conceeding from setpieces for the 100th time. People say he's learning on the job, he's not. He doesn't deliver when it matters, will never win a league with us. What's the point continuing, the evidence is there and some still refuse to believe it. It's a proper joke he's been offered a contract.

hubbuh

Rumors that United are leaning more towards extending him. I think his time is up. I wasn't convinced by him even if he won the Europa league, but United's form away from home was very impressive, but still too many managerial mistakes, it doesn't feel like there's real progression lately, I think he's had his shot.
United were always going to extend his contract. I don't have a massive problem with that as I don't see who the feck we could even get at this point. Ole is still learning on the job and it's obviously costing us in some games, but I don't see much of an alternative. Hopefully it all clicks next season and we win something mega.

bsCallout

No, he's not good enough. Beat by a side that would be lucky to finish 10th in the premier league. Coaching is shocking, conceeding from setpieces for the 100th time. People say he's learning on the job, he's not. He doesn't deliver when it matters, will never win a league with us. What's the point continuing, the evidence is there and some still refuse to believe it. It's a proper joke he's been offered a contract.
Who would you get?

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I can't imagine any transfer targets care about whether Ole has a long contract or an expiring one. They aren't joining for a manager that isn't proven at the highest level and won nothing at the highest level.

They are coming for the money, fans, stadium club, chance to play in the PL/CL. Where does this whole theory come from? Seems so made up just to defend giving Ole an extension.

I am sure these same fans argued that Phil Jones deserved a contract extension so that United could get a fee for him..

Failing now earns you contract extensions at United.
It's bonkers. We have PSG, Chelsea, Liverpool and Atletico Madrid (just a quick check, there are load of others) at this point in time with their manager having one year on his contract.

It's not like players aren't aware of the situation and that string of bad results can get you sacked in every club, especially if you are unproven like Ole. Only in United the whole project is always associated with the manager, which is absurd when even players who want to join probably don't look at it that way.

The only thing you don't do is what City has done with Pellegrini and announce his leaving before the season is over. And even then that reflects only on current results and not future transfers.

Walters_19_MuFc

Actually going back to your original reply, its not exactly like he "outwitted" the rest of the original big six, did he?

Our PL record this season:
2 wins, 6 draws, 4 losses.

Granted the biggest of that was City away, but it doesnt scream masterclasses vs the PL best, does it?
My original point was that he has outwitted top managers that you said he couldn't do.

Foxbatt

it is going to be extended by Woodward. It is arsenal all over again. So long as he gets into CL, the leaches will keep him.

keithsingleton

United were always going to extend his contract. I don't have a massive problem with that as I don't see who the feck we could even get at this point. Ole is still learning on the job and it's obviously costing us in some games, but I don't see much of an alternative. Hopefully it all clicks next season and we win something mega.
So you don't have a massive problem with that? No doubt you will have massive problem when we continue to win nothing because Ole not got the technical nouse of Pep & Klopp along with there coaching team?