g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Do we extend Ole's contract?

OleBoiii

Not the norm but it happens.
Then we should extend it to whatever the norm is. He deserves at least the minimum amount of respect/courtesy. It's not like he has underperformed either. At least not in the league, which remains the most important tournament in my opinion.

Definitely not. It's the perfect scenario for us. We let him continue but if we're not seriously challenging for the league at Christmas and still in the cups then we have plenty of time to look for a proper replacement instead of rushing like most clubs do. If we're still in the running for all competitions, reward him.

HailtotheKing

Have we not already agreed to extend it? Probably. This club is stupid. No one is running to sign him. He has everything to prove this season and every possibility of failing - particularly if he isn't backed in the transfer market. So only a fool would extend him and risk having to pay him off. But then we've proven we're fools, again and again.

JmRssll555

I think there’s a fair argument that allowing Ole’s contract to run down could become a distraction next season because it’ll be asked about in every press conference, so I think there should be an extension this summer. However, I think that extension should only be for one additional year, then Ole’s position should be analysed throughout next season and a decision made next summer.

bsCallout

Normally I'd say sure, but dropping out of the CL group stage can only be salvaged by actually winning the Europa League, otherwise it is black and white.
Its not. We beat better teams to get to that stage. Winning it came down to a shoot out against a manager with anti-football tactics. It's not black and white and it's ridiculous to suggest it is.

On the route to there we beat PSG, Leipzig, Sociedad, AC Milan.

To pretend the only thing that matters is that final game where we lost in a shootout doesn't make sense, certainly not to me as a fan. Otherwise I might as well just watch the finals if we get there and last game of the season.

SAFMUTD

He will learn from painful defeats such as this. He thought it was an easy ride, just let your players shine, but that didn't happen.

Managers have potentials too, looking at his trajectory, I think he can be better. He should be better, there is no doubt about that.

I'd say keep him for another season, I don't want to destroy the harmony of the squad we're having now.
It seems thats all he offers, good harmony between the squad. Its been proven thats not enough to win titles so I'd say its worth risking destroyin that harmony in the hunt for top titles. We know what this "let the players shine" approach can get us, top 4 and maybe some minor titles such as the FA cup or EL. But to win the big boys prizes UCL and EPL that doesnt cut it.

HoustonRed

Be hilariously sad when this is announced.

There is no point firing him now but next season you either Wil the PL, CL, FA cup or Carling Cup.

If we don't get a trophy then he has to go. We can't go 5 years without one a pretend there is progress.

Realistically only the Fa cup or Carling cup is winnable
No chance on the Carabao Cup. City would not let go their hold on that trophy.

laughtersassassin

Then we should extend it to whatever the norm is. He deserves at least the minimum amount of respect/courtesy. It's not like he has underperformed either. At least not in the league, which remains the most important tournament in my opinion.
2nd 3rd or 4th aren't more important than winning a trophy though. Not when you look back in a season in a year or two.

I'd just give him the 12 months and see where we are then.

Hell if six months from now we are doing well in the league and win the Carling do it then.

But off the back of another trophyless season it's very hard to justify

HoustonRed

He will learn from painful defeats such as this. He thought it was an easy ride, just let your players shine, but that didn't happen.

Managers have potentials too, looking at his trajectory, I think he can be better. He should be better, there is no doubt about that.

I'd say keep him for another season, I don't want to destroy the harmony of the squad we're having now.
I agree he will learn. As he has been learning on the job till now. But I doubt about 'what' he will learn. He will learn that it is not easy win anything, with 'have a go at it boys' strategy. But what use is that. I doubt he will learn 'how' to win. That takes lot more than learning.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Tbf to Ole, I think his recruitment has been pretty good and far better than the likes of Mourinho for example.

However as a coach, he is second or third rate. Great motivational man manager but he doesn't know enough technical aspects of coaching and it shows. This team to me plays absolutely no differently to when he came 2 years ago, the only difference is that there are better players in the lineup. In other words, he is relying on better players making individual plays for wins. That's not sustainable unless you have Messi or Ronaldo in your team
It has, but he also receives a salary. He doesnt work for free.

ben.heff10

Its not. We beat better teams to get to that stage. Winning it came down to a shoot out against a manager with anti-football tactics. It's not black and white and it's ridiculous to suggest it is.

To pretend the only thing that matters is that final game where we lost in a shootout doesn't make sense, certainly not to me as a fan. Otherwise I might as well just watch the finals if we get there and last game of the season.
Thanks for providing a bit of much needed context. Had Bruno chosen to go first and one of Villarreal's players missed we wouldn't be having this conversation and Ole would be nailed on as our best manager since Fergie

Blueman

Supports
Man City
And what happens next season when Ole has delivered maybe a cup final or another finish above lfc? People will be saying give him a contract or its all WIP. I'd say cut your losses now and make the fresh start that is obvisouly required

HoustonRed

Expecting to Win all those games is not reasonable. agree. But, Yes winning 'a' final matters. It shows the bottle. the winning mentality. Of course when you lose as many clutch games, it shows very badly on the mentality and management. Glossing over than is silly.
We beat all those teams when there is no pressure. When it is time to win, a crucial fixture, we invariably wilted. every single time. The players are fair weather. That is where management comes into picture. Which is happy to point to the players, but buck stops at the manager, especially after 3 years, and as many transfer windows.

Rolaholic

I don't see a problem with letting the current deal wind down and decide on either extending him or parting ways near the end of next season after backing him this summer.

We'll have a much clearer picture of the direction the club is heading in while not hamstring ourselves with potential buyout fees if we extend early only to sack him not long after.

It's not like there's going to be any real threat of another top club poaching him is there?

OmarUnited4ever

Of course we extend. We improved from last season and I expect we will improve next season and compete for the PL and CL. If we don't compete seriously then Ole leaves in Spring 2022.

Note I didn't say he had to win. Let's say we get 2nd next season 7 points behind a 95 point City team with Kane. And let's say we lose to Bayern in a thrilling semi tie. There would be no shame in that and Ole stays and keeps improving the club.
i agree with this, but if Ole is backed, then he cant have a bad start next season, by Nov/Dec this year the team should be 3-5 points of the top at least and in comfortable position in CL group, the club shouldn't wait to dismiss until Spring 2022.

Next season is a do or die for Ole, that is my position even before winning or losing EL, i don't mind an extension of his contract as i couldn't care less about Ole's contract , i care more about next year performances and results.

el3mel

I"m sorry, I said yesterday let's give him next season but I see we approaching a summer in which big managers are moving on to other clubs and I just think it will be fecking madness now to let the likes of Zidane and Conte go. We may not find find any better replacement next year.

OleBoiii

2nd 3rd or 4th aren't more important than winning a trophy though. Not when you look back in a season in a year or two.
I could probably tell you the name of the PL winner(and usually the runner-up) from every single PL season without any problem. Most years I don't remember who won any of the domestic cups last year even. But I digress :p

I agree with the posters saying 1 year extension. It's not excessive, but it gives him some breathing space and shows that we are relatively happy with how things are right now, while still expecting improvements.

bsCallout

Expecting to Win all those games is not reasonable. agree. But, Yes winning 'a' final matters. It shows the bottle. the winning mentality. Of course when you lose as many clutch games, it shows very badly on the mentality and management. Glossing over than is silly.
We beat all those teams when there is no pressure. When it is time to win, a crucial fixture, we invariably wilted. every single time. The players are fair weather. That is where management comes into picture. Which is happy to point to the players, but buck stops at the manager, especially after 3 years, and as many transfer windows.
But we haven't invariably wilted. We've lost cup games. That happens. In order to play those cup games we've had to win knock out ties. In order to get top four we had to win must win games last season.

Yes we need something to take us that extra step but it's not just black and white, did you win the cup or not.

We've won plenty of big ties under Ole, we've also lost many. You can't ignore all the tough ties we do win just because we lose one game on penalties. Or even because we get knocked out at some stage. It's not black and white.

It's not glossing over it.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
To me, the question is whether there has been sufficient progress.
In some respects, there has been progress. The squad seems to be more settled than before.
But to judge progress in a football setting, you have to compare with what happened before.
And while Jose was extremely divisive, it has to be recognised that he managed to win the Europa League in his first season and finish 2nd in his 2nd season on 81 points. This with a less talented squad I would say.

On that specific criteria, he has not made real progress. And that is how he should be judged in terms of contact.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Till the Glazers go there will be no progress.

Protests are more important that what happens on the pitch at this stage.
The Glazers will go when they choose to and the apitite for protests will inevitably wain.
So I cannot agree with your last point.
What happens on the pitch is absolutely important.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Let me clarify. Getting knocked out of the group stage of the CL is a failure that is only somewhat salvaged by winning the Europa League. Yes, a lot of luck is involved in winning trophies. But when you have a complete failure at the start, it can only be salvaged by winning the competition you are favourites to win because you get dumped into it from a superior competition. No excuses at that point. We were by far the best team in the competition and are a far better team than Villareal, yet we bottled it. So of course this season was a failure as a result.

Normally, no you can't go into a season expecting to win trophies. But the only way to salvage a season from being a failure after getting knocked out of the CL is actually winning the EL, and we failed that. Had we got through the CL group and fell at the quarter finals, fine, no biggie, that's about our level. Had we won the EL, great, we won a trophy and made up for getting knocked out of the CL. As it is, we got knocked out of the CL and lost in the EL to the 7th placed side in Spain.

bsCallout

Let me clarify. Getting knocked out of the group stage of the CL is a failure that is only somewhat salvaged by winning the Europa League. Yes, a lot of luck is involved in winning trophies. But when you have a complete failure at the start, it can only be salvaged by winning the competition you are favourites to win because you get dumped into it from a superior competition. No excuses at that point. We were by far the best team in the competition and are a far better team than Villareal, yet we bottled it. So of course this season was a failure as a result.

Normally, no you can't go into a season expecting to win trophies. But the only way to salvage a season from being a failure after getting knocked out of the CL is actually winning the EL, and we failed that. Had we got through the CL group and fell at the quarter finals, fine, no biggie, that's about our level. Had we won the EL, great, we won a trophy and made up for getting knocked out of the CL. As it is, we got knocked out of the CL and lost in the EL to the 7th placed side in Spain.
I get it but it can't be black and white. It's a knockout game at the end of the day. It can hinge on the smallest of margins.

A reminder than the great manager Conte that everyone wants finished bottom in their CL group. With a much easier group than ours. Could you imagine if Ole had done that?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I get it but it can't be black and white. It's a knockout game at the end of the day. It can hinge on the smallest of margins.

A reminder than the great manager Conte that everyone wants finished bottom in their CL group. With a much easier group than ours. Could you imagine if Ole had done that?
He then went on to win the league title though. Bit of a key point you left out isn't it? If he didn't win the league then of course their season would've been a failure.

Anyway, I'm not saying sack Ole cause we lost, but I'm saying it was pretty much a failed season in the end because we failed in the CL, didn't win the EL to make up for it, but got top 4. Scraping the barrel of bare minimum at least. Next season if we strengthen properly this summer, then the minimum level rises to a serious title challenge, and if we fail to do that, then you have to make up for it with actually winning a trophy for it to be an OK season. Pretty much if you fail the main objective (challenge for the league and CL), you have to make up for it with other cups at least. If you don't, it's a failed season.

Infra-red

He's not going to get offers from any other big clubs, so there's no danger of losing him even if we do go into the season with him still in charge and still on the same contract.

Renewing now would be rewarding mediocrity.

L1nk

Three year contract extension, why? He has a year left, give him that year and if we get nowhere, don't renew it, if we make more progress and actually win something, give him that new contract, but this apparently makes too much sense. Nobody is clamoring to hire OGS as their manager, we hold all the cards for a manager that really isn't good enough to be here anyway, and yet we STILL do stupid stuff like this, club is an absolute farce from top to bottom

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
As gutting as last night was he's probably done enough to deserve a contract still.

All his detractors on here, of which there are many, said he couldn't finish top 3 and he's done it twice now. Obviously it would be nice to have won a trophy but I was worried about last night the second I knew Maguire was out. And I was proved right to be worried.

If they give him a new deal in the coming weeks then it needs to backed up with top signings or it will be a mess.

bsCallout

He then went on to win the league title though. Bit of a key point you left out isn't it? If he didn't win the league then of course their season would've been a failure.
Well it's not is it. They were hardly up against City in the league. If we'd finished bottom of a group that easy people would have been calling for Oles head.

Irrelevant to that it shows it's not black and white.

Conte the great manager was bottom of an awful group. We on the other hand made it to the semis of the FA cup losing to the winners, similar in the League Cup, beat all the teams we did in Europe, losing on pens in the final, and finished second in the league to a ridiculously good team in City who in all probability are going to win the CL.

You can ignore all the good in our season and all the circumstances to make out our season is bad all you want. To ignore all the bad in Contes for winning a fairly easy league though, is pretty ironic.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
One year left on Ole's contract. Do we give him till the end of next season and risk unsettling him or do we secure him for a little bit longer in case he turns out alright?
Big football clubs don't have managers on expiring contracts during a long term commited project, so he will be extended.

People can be as salty as they want, but we've improved considerably from 19/20 to 20/21. The club agrees and a contract extension is on the books.

The club can put certain performance related requirements in the contract that stipulates things like cancellation compensation or legal reasons to withdraw from its contractual obligations if performance dips below x. honestly it can be anything.

But what the club will not do, is leave its gallion figure in limbo, it doesnt matter who the manager is, the manager will always be sacked during the contract or extended during the contract.

On the flip side of this drama, we're one De Gea save away from everyone shutting up about it. Fine margins. Adults recognise that.

croadyman

Big football clubs don't have managers on expiring contracts during a long term commited project, so he will be extended.

People can be as salty as they want, but we've improved considerably from 19/20 to 20/21. The club agrees and a contract extension is on the books.

The club can put certain performance related requirements in the contract that stipulates things like cancellation compensation or legal reasons to withdraw from its contractual obligations if performance dips below x. honestly it can be anything.

But what the club will not do, is leave its gallion figure in limbo, it doesnt matter who the manager is, the manager will always be sacked during the contract or extended during the contract.

On the flip side of this drama, we're one De Gea save away from everyone shutting up about it. Fine margins. Adults recognise that.
Sorry but was unacceptable that we let it get as far as penalties especially with a GK who is crap at saving them

croadyman

I"m sorry, I said yesterday let's give him next season but I see we approaching a summer in which big managers are moving on to other clubs and I just think it will be fecking madness now to let the likes of Zidane and Conte go. We may not find find any better replacement next year.
Yeah my thoughts exactly but when you see what McGrath is saying it's clear our board is happy swimming in mediocity

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Sorry but was unacceptable that we let it get as far as penalties especially with a GK who is crap at saving them
The result wasn't good.

Was there any chance the players on the pitch could have done anything about that during the 90 minutes they played football?

Castia

There’s too much uncertainty if the manager is in the last months of his contract we either need to offer the deal this summer or fire him else next season will be a disaster.

croadyman

The result wasn't good.

Was there any chance the players on the pitch could have done anything about that during the 90 minutes they played football?
Ole should have been more ruthless but cold hard facts are he isn't up to doing that

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Ole should have been more ruthless but cold hard facts are he isn't up to doing that
I've seen this talking point parroted. But I also think that the players could have played a bit better. They had 90 minutes to put this to bed. The only players that had truly good games last night are Cavani and McTominay.

croadyman

I've seen this talking point parroted. But I also think that the players could have played a bit better. They had 90 minutes to put this to bed. The only players that had truly good games last night are Cavani and McTominay.
Says it all that the team playing in their first ever final looked so much more assured

Nori-

This is such a Man Utd move if its true.

We literally have no need to offer him a new contract. He hasn't achieved much in 2 and a half years. No other top European club will be frantically chasing his signature.

So what do we do? With 1 year left on his contract we offer him 3 years, so when we sack him in December, there's more compensation to pay.

We are run by donkeys.