Do we extend Ole's contract?

jamesjimmybyrondean

It could be bad for our future if we extend. The likeliest scenario is that Ole will do enough not to be sacked but won't take us back to were we want. Then at the end of the season we would here about how we need to invest and work harder and would try everything to win the league and all that sweet talk. Rinse and repeat.

If we wait it out instead of extending and Ole isn't doing well, then the fans would pressure the board to look for a manager that can win us the league instead of a 30 year rebuild

Wilt

Not Ole out and I think we should renew it. Might give Haaland the assurances he needs to sign for us next season. :devil:
If Haaland signs for Utd it won’t be because of Ole ...it’ll be because he thinks we will win titles/trophies and we are a way off that at the moment.

croadyman

Not Ole out and I think we should renew it. Might give Haaland the assurances he needs to sign for us next season. :devil:
Harsh as it sounds I would sack Ole and miss out on Haaland if it meant we can attract better players to the club

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Because that's what we need, locking in an unproven manager for a longer contract just so we might have a better chance of landing a player. feck me what are we reduced to.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If I'm being honest after the final I have more doubts towards him now. I don''t doubt he can bring in quality players and build a good team, even one for the future but I'm afraid we wont win anything significant with him in charge because this kind of stuff usually becomes a curse. The mental block is only getting worse.

croadyman

If I'm being honest after the final I have more doubts towards him now. I don''t doubt he can bring in quality players and build a good team, even one for the future but I'm afraid we wont win anything significant with him in charge because this kind of stuff usually becomes a curse. The mental block is only getting worse.
Yeah makes me wonder IF him bringing in any more signings will make a significant difference

hobbers

A club run by intelligent people wouldnt improve the deal of a manager no other club with comparable wage budgets is interested in.

And if he wants an extension he can have one in February or March, if we're at or near the top of the table. But, again, only an ambitious club run by intelligent people would do that sort of thing.

UnhiredSquire

The problems apparent, for United, are the same ones that have been prevalent since Ole took over. Namely:

-Poor structure.

-Lack of discipline.

-Ill-defined methods of playing out from the back.

-Inability to break teams down that sit in.

-Very poor collective pressing/counter pressing.

-Ineptitude at set pieces. This includes offensive/defensive free kicks and corners — but also throw-ins — where United are abysmal.

-Tactically vapid.

And worst of all...

-Extreme lethargy in giving the player on the ball options; borne out of indolence at times, but mostly a lack of understanding and purpose.

Some players need to moved on. Others need to be brought in. But the above issues are not those that are fixed purely through playing-personnel alternations.

They are down to the manager and his coaches. There are few signs of them being rectified under Ole. There's a chance — and his coaches have room for growth — but it is no guarantee.

I'd like for them to be given that time and opportunity, of course. But how much time is sufficient? Particularly when they seem oblivious to these flaws. Or perhaps just incapable of overcoming them. Ole has been good, and will still be good, at some aspects of management. Unfortunately, United as a footballing entity have been too off the cuff under his guidance and perhaps a change is due.

In the turbulent world of modern management — loyalty is welcome. Commitment to a project is admirable. It is fitting then that Manchester United, of all clubs, are championing the idea. If they do decide to make an alteration though — there is a man out there whose methods and approach will strike straight at the heart of some of the aforementioned shortcomings.

And that sprightly young fellow is none other than one Marcelo Bielsa. You may have heard of him...

K Stand Knut

There is literally no benefit to giving him a new contract. There is not really a transfer market for managers like there is for players and I don’t think he’d be huge demand so it’s not like he’s going to be pushing for a move to a different club.

I would argue that a new contract is probably just about justified but just not worthwhile. We’ve moved forward, albeit maybe only marginally so let’s see where we are at come Christmas this year.

If we have continued to move forward and we look like we’re progressing again, then discuss a new contract.

If not, don’t!

Zlatattack

One year left on Ole's contract. Do we give him till the end of next season and risk unsettling him or do we secure him for a little bit longer in case he turns out alright?
Give him till the end of the season, then renew/review based on that.

Xaviboy

No. For me has until November/December. Get another transfer window and if we are way off from being top of the league by then he needs to go, no excuses then.

Kaos

I don’t see the rationale behind giving him an extension.

Hes not going to be poached by any big club, and as for him feeling unsettled - let’s be honest he’s completely out of his depth here and the only reason he’s our manager is his history as a player. He’s probably pinching himself every minute he’s been United manager.

By all means back him for next season, gift him some much needed signings and please for all that is holy surround him with good coaches (or at least ones that know how to make subs). If he still fails to deliver then just wish him the best of luck and both parties can move on with dignity.

Giving a mediocre manager a contract extension after winning nothing and consistently bottling big games at pivotal moments is sheer utter madness just as it is a depressing lack of ambition.

Neo_Mufc

You mean Utd also only having 1 pre season game and losing 3 of the first 6.
Your agenda is biased and useless I'm afraid.
No agenda. It's just clear facts.

Have a look at the fixture list and come back to me and tell me if City, Chelsea and Liverpool had their best seasons.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
His big game management in regards to substitutions and tactics are suspect. But then again our bench is woeful.

I hope he gets the players he needs. I can’t wait to see Sancho next season
He had over £100m of attacking players HE BOUGHT on the bench last night!

Ralph1386

This thread makes it seem like we have a say in this.

It’s already been decided for a while that he will be extended. They were going to announce it after the EL final but now I think they could wait before making the announcement.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
It’ll probably get announced when we go on a wee run at the start of the season and everything is rosey when the pressure is off, as per usual.

IRN-BRUno

I'm in the 'Ole in' camp but agree there is no rush for a new contract. Despite last night's disappointment and frustration, we have made progress this season but that now needs to go further next year. There shouldn't be an issue with letting his contract run down and waiting until the end of next season to make a final decision, other clubs aren't going to be making offers to him and he isn't going to be looking elsewhere either.

He needs to be backed this summer with a CB, DM and RW that improve on what we already have and then it's down to him. Win a trophy and/or sustain a proper title challenge and he deserves an extension, if not then it's probably time to thank him and move on.

MU655

Definitely not. The improvement is minimal at best and dressed up by the fact that Liverpool dropped 30 points. For me, there has been no sign that he is suitable to be our long-term manager.

There is no need to risk having to pay compensation, especially since he wouldn't be in demand.

He has the highest net spend of any manager in the league, so he has been firmly back in both time and financials.

No trophy for two and a half seasons, a second place really gifted to us by Liverpool, and minimal improvement (questionable in terms of goal scoring) does not warrant a new contract.

sengineer

I don't think renewing Ole's contract is a good idea. The reality is that his success this season is largely due to the players we have and their ability to make things happen. The concept of counter-attack football is great but it needs to be accompanied with other playing strategies which we don't see implemented. Yesterday's final showed his dependency on the big name players with his refusal to make any subs. The fluidity that the team should be playing with is not there and apart from one or two games the entire season has showed that we stagnant. No doubt that ending up second is a good result but don't see this being repeated or improved.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
His new contract is already confirmed to be signed this week not so? I don't think there's any doubt the current board will extend him, it will probably be like 5 years.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Either extend now or sack him. Nothing in-between unless you want this summer's transfer window and the new season to be wasted. Few players will want to sign for a club when the manager is close to being let go at the end of the season.
Is there any evidence to this? Who wants to come to United for Ole anyway?

Amir

The current situation is quite good for us. He's probably done well enough to earn next season, but not more. Do well next season and you stay. Don't, and it will be a soft, natural seperation - end of contract rather than a sacking.

So watch us extend it now.

bsCallout

I'm 100% Ole in, I think most people on this Forum talk absolute nonsense about Ole and I question if they are actually fans.

But why would you renew him?

Have a good transfer window and go and earn the new contract by getting a trophy.

Giggsyking

I'm in the 'Ole in' camp but agree there is no rush for a new contract. Despite last night's disappointment and frustration, we have made progress this season but that now needs to go further next year. There shouldn't be an issue with letting his contract run down and waiting until the end of next season to make a final decision, other clubs aren't going to be making offers to him and he isn't going to be looking elsewhere either.

He needs to be backed this summer with a CB, DM and RW that improve on what we already have and then it's down to him. Win a trophy and/or sustain a proper title challenge and he deserves an extension, if not then it's probably time to thank him and move on.
Name the trophy. You cant give him an extension if he wins the league cup or the FA cup and fails to compete for the bigger trophies. If he fails to mount a serious title challenge on both the PL or CL then he should be sacked on the spot. No ifs and buts.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Of course we extend. We improved from last season and I expect we will improve next season and compete for the PL and CL. If we don't compete seriously then Ole leaves in Spring 2022.

Note I didn't say he had to win. Let's say we get 2nd next season 7 points behind a 95 point City team with Kane. And let's say we lose to Bayern in a thrilling semi tie. There would be no shame in that and Ole stays and keeps improving the club.

OleBoiii

What is the norm in these cases? He's done enough to deserve next season. How normal is it for managers to play with their back against the wall like this?

If it's very normal at the highest level: meh, I don't care if we extend.
If it's highly irregular to the point of being insulting: extend the contract with 1 year(or whatever the norm is).

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
No, he's done alright but next season is make or break to see if he can make the step up, though at the same time that's dependent on if the board gives him funding to actually make a step up. If we have a window like last summer, then you can't really blame him much even if you expect more at the same time, but it would be at best a top 4 finish again with no real competing.

bsCallout

Of course we extend. We improved from last season and I expect we will improve next season and compete for the PL and CL. If we don't compete seriously then Ole leaves in Spring 2022.

Note I didn't say he had to win. Let's say we get 2nd next season 7 points behind a 95 point City team with Kane. And let's say we lose to Bayern in a thrilling semi tie. There would be no shame in that and Ole stays and keeps improving the club.
I like you. Someone that realises it's not as black and white as did they win a trophy.

I do expect him to win something next season though.

bosnian_red

Of course. But why extend when his contract runs til next season anyway? It's a make or break year for him, like you said he's done alright but he has to step up next year. If this is the limit for Ole then we have to move on, simple as that. Our squad is now at a stage where we need to buy the few pieces we need to have a squad ready to compete for everything, and then if the manager fails to seriously compete for the important trophies then it is 100% on him. Why extend the contract when he hasn't shown he can do that?

laughtersassassin

What is the norm in these cases? He's done enough to deserve next season. How normal is it for managers to play with their back against the wall like this?

If it's very normal at the highest level: meh, I don't care if we extend.
If it's highly irregular to the point of being insulting: extend the contract with 1 year(or whatever the norm is).
Not the norm but it happens.

Also most teams don't have a manger who will have no chance of getting a top job.

If we want Ole he is ours forever. Therefore no need to give him a contract until he earns it.

Giggsyking

I'm 100% Ole in, I think most people on this Forum talk absolute nonsense about Ole and I question if they are actually fans.

Have a good transfer window and go and earn the new contract by getting a trophy.
Stop that arrogant attitude, you are by no means in a position to classify fans. I can also talk in your logic "people who insists on a bottle-job manager are not true fans because they dont want us to win anything"

bosnian_red

I like you. Someone that realises it's not as black and white as did they win a trophy.

I do expect him to win something next season though.
Normally I'd say sure, but dropping out of the CL group stage can only be salvaged by actually winning the Europa League, otherwise it is black and white.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Wait, so fans of the club who don’t think Ole is the right man for the job & think we need a change if we are going to win anything, are not actual fans of the club?

That doesn’t make any sense. If Ole isn’t good & they aren’t fans of the club, wouldn’t they want us to keep him forever?

shahzy

Waste more money/absolve the club from trophies or moving forward, what would you pick?
Tbf to Ole, I think his recruitment has been pretty good and far better than the likes of Mourinho for example.

However as a coach, he is second or third rate. Great motivational man manager but he doesn't know enough technical aspects of coaching and it shows. This team to me plays absolutely no differently to when he came 2 years ago, the only difference is that there are better players in the lineup. In other words, he is relying on better players making individual plays for wins. That's not sustainable unless you have Messi or Ronaldo in your team

ShinjiNinja26

Would be daft to renew his contract at this stage, he’s got a year left on his current deal and next season is make or break for him. It’s actually the ideal scenario for the club, he either delivers next season and then you can discuss renewing his contract or it becomes clear he isn’t the man to take us forward and you can make a change easily without forking out millions in a compensation package.