g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Do we extend Ole's contract?

PFC

I think best way is to back him with the transfer targets and see where he takes united by the end of January and decide then whether to extend his contract or not.

FatTails

Shocking decision if it happens. Tuchel was attracted to Chelsea on a shorter contract than what remains on Ole’s current contract. Ole has a contract till the end of next season and he’s not going anywhere. Let’s wait and see how next season goes.

robsoll

Be in no doubt, no other club is going to go for him, so why offer a 3 year contract when you don’t have to. OGS is not a top quality coach, his record is unremarkable at best and being an ex united player under Sir Alex Ferguson does not make you good manager. OGS is a decent person and would de a good understudy to a head coach only, no other club in the top half of the premiership would have him so Why should United.

kbbear

I don't see the point in extending has contract right now. It's not like any other top shelf club would be trying to poach him.

Danillaco

It’s not what I’d prefer, we are talking about which competition better determines a managers ability.

Its like talking to a brick wall here honestly. I quite enjoyed my time away on temp ban, it was like an escape from the asylum.
Doesn't winning the biggest title in Europe defines better a coach's hability rather being second best in the best football league in Europe?

Especially that Chelsea is no way City's caliber, and honestly is not far of United. Their main strength is Kanté. Their defense performed better, but out attack crushed theirs. Chelsea spent big but most of their players were not up to the promises.

Tuchel led an arguably worse team from 9th to 4th, and CL glory in half a season.

Ole had a clearly superior team against Villarreal and lost in the end. No matter how you cut it, Ole had the better team and players and should've won it.

RedTiger

Half mast
Ooh another one.

Full member, 10,000+ posts.

Aggressive arrogant attitude to everybody who disagrees.

Probably blames the state of the forum on newbies.

Probable virgin.

If only I could be as high and mighty as you are Mr Tart.
Please could you teach me? Please.
I'm desperate to be a self important internet tough guy.

I hope that one day I can I can reach of the levels of forum badassery that you have achieved, it must be difficult carrying the weight of such success day to day, even for your mighty shoulders.

I salute you, my king, my god.
Nice :lol:

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Doesn't winning the biggest title in Europe defines better a coach's hability rather being second best in the best football league in Europe?

Especially that Chelsea is no way City's caliber, and honestly is not far of United. Their main strength is Kanté. Their defense performed better, but out attack crushed theirs. Chelsea spent big but most of their players were not up to the promises.

Tuchel led an arguably worse team from 9th to 4th, and CL glory in half a season.

Ole had a clearly superior team against Villarreal and lost in the end. No matter how you cut it, Ole had the better team and players and should've won it.
The point is that in one off games anything can happen, good luck, bad luck, terrible ref calls, etc. If the better team on paper always won then football would be incredibly boring to watch. Meanwhile in a league campaign that goes over 38 games, those things tend to even out so its usually a better reflection of a teams (or managers) performance

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Ooh another one.

Probable virgin.

I hope that one day I can I can reach of the levels of forum badassery that you have achieved, it must be difficult carrying the weight of such success day to day, even for your mighty shoulders.

Promote this man as long as he promises to post stuff like this every day.

OrcaFat

In the grand scheme, the cost of having to sack Ole after giving him a new contract is not a big deal.

The club is essentially asking Ole to manage the club with a long term view. Letting his contract run down would not be in keeping with the present club ethos.

Therefore, new contract inevitable but also sensible.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Ooh another one.

Probable virgin.

:lol: post more often, mate.

Judas

Open to offers
Having him sign a new contract would be the clubs way of showing we're also a stable environment for potential new signings, that we've got a plan and we know what we're doing. To be fair if it goes to shit, no matter how long is left on the contract, the Glazers will pay the price to bin him, so it doesn't matter in that regard.

Last edited:

big rons sovereign

:lol: post more often, mate.
:D just being facetious tbh.

The thread has gone beyond the ridiculous into outright hysteria, I felt i might as well join in fer a bit since opinions and views have long since been banished in favour of name calling and bickering.

Meh, bring on the Euros so we can all start arguing over which is more hideous, grealish' sleazy haircut or southgates 2D head?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Anyone else think if it were to be done, it would have been done already? Feels like a long delay for what should otherwise be a straight forward transaction, so may be they are considering all other options. Pochettino looks unsettled and there has long been mutual interest there, Zidane and Conte are available, with Conte putting out feelers for the job before he went to Chelsea.

Judas

Open to offers
Anyone else think if it were to be done, it would have been done already? Feels like a long delay for what should otherwise be a straight forward transaction, so may be they are considering all other options. Pochettino looks unsettled and there has long been mutual interest there, Zidane and Conte are available, with Conte putting out feelers for the job before he went to Chelsea.
All about timing. If we'd won the EL, it would have been announced before that week ended I think. Now it's about waiting for the right moment.

I think this article is a decent summation of how some of us feel about Ole

https://onfootball.substack.com/p/solskjaer-has-done-the-job-he-was
That's a very good article and this is the key paragraph.

The side’s tactical problems have been fairly clear for the duration of Solskjaer’s time. Back in 2019, they didn’t have any way of creating chances while in possession at all, relying almost purely on the counter-attack. They fixed this problem to an extent, but it was simply through signing Fernandes and letting him do his thing. Don’t get me wrong, having good players is by far the most important thing in football. But to win major trophies, which is surely where the club need to get to, they’ll be facing teams with great players and great tactical ideas. Pep Guardiola’s plan in possession is not simply to let Kevin De Bruyne do his thing.
I don't see any progression in that area since he joined.

Bobcat

Having him sign a new contract would be the clubs way of showing we're also a stable environment for potential new signings, that we've got a plan and we know what we do it. To be fair if it goes to shit, no matter how long is left on the contract, the Glazers will pay the price to bin him, so it doesn't matter in that regard.
This. Ole isnt here for the money so its not like hes going to turn the club down if there isnt a huge severance pay in the contract. IIRC, Jose got something like 15 million when they sacked him, which of course is a monumnetal amount of money for us mere mortals, but is really peanuts for a club like United

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
:D just being facetious tbh.

The thread has gone beyond the ridiculous into outright hysteria, I felt i might as well join in fer a bit since opinions and views have long since been banished in favour of name calling and bickering.

Meh, bring on the Euros so we can all start arguing over which is more hideous, grealish' sleazy haircut or southgates 2D head?
:lol: Agreed. Can't wait for Euro. Always rooting for England, although no ties to the country. Just because United and EPL.

GenericUtdfan

Not sure if the Talk Sport YouTube clip has been posted on RedCafe, but I agree with Alex Crook's sentiment on Ole.

big rons sovereign

:lol: Agreed. Can't wait for Euro. Always rooting for England, although no ties to the country. Just because United and EPL.
I'll support England due to being English, but now I think I just watch for the inevitable embarrassment.
It's like partridge or the office, unbearable but I can't stop.

BeltUp

Supports
United
Personally, I'd give him a 2 year contract because I don't think the uncertainty of having a manager in his last year would be good for making further progress. if this team doesn't show improvement next season, you then only have to pay off an extra year of his contract.

Saying that, knowing this club, they will give him a 3 or 4 year contract because Ole has been our best manager, post-Fergie, at securing a top 4 spot.

Reactions: Cheimoon

red4ever 79

Thats not the point. Having uncertainty about the managers contract breeds insecurity both within the squad and potentially on the transfer market.

If they include severance pay in the new contract its not like that sum is going to bankrupt the club either
Yes god forbid should not tying Ole down longer alter our strategic approach in the transfer market which included last summer of
1) Spunking 40m on a midfielder who has hardly played
2. Signing a free agent striker on deadline day who was available a couple of months earlier
3. Signing a couple of youngsters who have hardly featured and one who is already on loan

tomaldinho1

This is a thread I had assumed both sides of the Ole debate would actually be united about:

If you are Ole out, the answer is no. Why should there be any rush? Ole himself this was not a successful season, he will have another go and then we can reassess.
If you are Ole in, the answer is also no. You believe in Ole long term but are expecting better next season in cups and a closer league challenge. If he does well, renew the contract then, if he doesn't then the search for a new manager begins.

Surely this is the easiest answer in any United thread? Just because you don't renew it now, doesn't mean you can't renew it later. There is no rush whatsoever here.

wolvored

That Real Madrid team is a lot better than Villareal.. Tuchel took a mid table team falling apart into top 4 and won the champions league. Trying to downplay that is a bit sad specially when we couldn't even win the Europa league.
Again both teams spent the same amount on transfers over two seasons. I don't get the "Ole was given" bit at all. Is he our manager or not? He can't just take credit for our good signings.
Agree with you. Hasnt Ole said many times he makes the final decision on players coming and going? Tuchel is a far better manager and if the roles were reversed we would have the EL and Ole semi final/final losers probably.

Robbie Boy

He shouldn't even be an option.

He is not a very good manager.
Why the need for hyperbole, it does absolutely nothing to strengthen your case in regards to Ole?

What makes him 'not a very good manager'? I would have reservations about him for sure, and I wouldn't have him on my list of potential candidates to replace Ole - but he's certainly shown himself to a good manager. Most people's reservations are in regard to how he would adapt outside the sphere of Real Madrid.

Furthermore, would you say any non-United fan would take Ole over Zidane? And if you think Zidane isn't very good, what are your opinions on Ole?

Bobcat

Yes god forbid should not tying Ole down longer alter our strategic approach in the transfer market which included last summer of
1) Spunking 40m on a midfielder who has hardly played
2. Signing a free agent striker on deadline day who was available a couple of months earlier
3. Signing a couple of youngsters who have hardly featured and one who is already on loan
Are you implying last seasons calamity in the market had anything to do with Oles contract? We fecked up the Sancho deal, and by spending all summer on it we basically had no time left

Waynne

Not sure if the Talk Sport YouTube clip has been posted on RedCafe, but I agree with Alex Crook's sentiment on Ole.
Seen that clip on youtube and wholeheartedly agree with Alex. De Gea not saving a penalty in 7 years in the PL and Ole decides to stick with him for a final penalty shootout.
Absolutely insane.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Ooh another one.

Probable virgin.

:lol: Probable virgin.

romufc

Why the need for hyperbole, it does absolutely nothing to strengthen your case in regards to Ole?

What makes him 'not a very good manager'? I would have reservations about him for sure, and I wouldn't have him on my list of potential candidates to replace Ole - but he's certainly shown himself to a good manager. Most people's reservations are in regard to how he would adapt outside the sphere of Real Madrid.

Furthermore, would you say any non-United fan would take Ole over Zidane? And if you think Zidane isn't very good, what are your opinions on Ole?
I would prefer not to sack ole for someone who like Zidane who hasn't shown what we need which is tactical.

I mean I get he has won the CL 3 times in a row and La Liga. lets say, I think Poch is a better manager even though he hasn't won much.

In respects to Ole, I would keep him at the moment because there is no clear alternative.

People calling for Conte but then it means we scrap what we are building

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Shocking decision if it happens. Tuchel was attracted to Chelsea on a shorter contract than what remains on Ole’s current contract. Ole has a contract till the end of next season and he’s not going anywhere. Let’s wait and see how next season goes.
You do understand players sign on for projects, yes?

Water Melon

You do understand players sign on for projects, yes?
No. They do sign on contracts, mainly for wages and bonuses. Ole is far from a guarantee to win anything, thus is hardly a better proposition than Klopp, Pep or Tuchel. United are a top 4 project under Ole.