Do we go for RVP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havak

Pokemon master
We won't sign van Persie. Despite any possible positives I can see too many negatives, complications and reasons as to why we wouldn't. As said I can't see him playing for another side in the Premier League. He'd go abroad. He'll basically want to go to Barcelona, Real, Bayern, Dortmund, Juventus, or Milan in order to win a respectable trophy. At least half of those teams won't want him at the moment which includes both Spanish sides. If he leaves Arsenal for a team not from those six I'll be surprised. He'll probably stay at Arsenal but achieve nothing. Even if these younger Arsenal players coming through do eventually produce and Arsenal can keep challenging, time will run out on van Persie's career first. His choice is becoming an Arsenal legend and allowing Arsene more time with his youngsters yet again, or moving to a top 2 side from one of the other top European Leagues and possibly winning a few trophies before he's done. Not many players choose the former these days.

Of course, as mentioned already it wouldn't surprised me if City were interested as well. Despite them having three good strikers...

MacMUFC

Best striker in the league. Of course we should at least try and get him.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
City will try and nab him to replace Tevez.

He may or may not be a success there, but Arsenal's will benefit from the banksheet but the team will be weakened again as is always the case whenever they lose a player to City.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He strikes me as someone not obsessed with money (Nasri) nor has harbouring desires to play elsewhere (Fabregas). I think he's Arsenal through and through and will sign a new deal and probably stay there if not for the rest of his career certainly till a point where he's no longer guaranteed first team football

Brilliant player though one who I thought we should have gone for back in his Feyenoord days

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Of course they will. If he declines their delightful invitation of a new contract on comparably shitty wages.
Think a lot depends on how well they do this season. Things are going well for Arsenal at the moment, only English team to be assured to play in the last 16 in the CL in February and racking up wins in the league. But things can go sour quite easily as is often the case with Arsenal and if they end up with nowt again and rejects a contract, the Gooners won't ever risk letting him go for a free and City will always be testing them.

John_Jensen

Wenger has given up on Project Youth, he admitted as much in the L'Equipe interview that was bastardised in the press as 'Wenger to Leave!". If we continue to improve, bring in some quality players either in January or the start of the summer and qualify for the CL then i think he'll sign on.

If not i think he'll go to Madrid, Jose is a big admirer and has tried to sign him a few times over the years.

John_Jensen

Wenger says more than his prayers John. Biggest signing of the summer - 17-year-old Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.
He'll never stop buying young quality players, that's a given.

But if you remember when he came to Arsenal first he brought in players like Anelka & Vieira but he also said towards the end of 1997 season that the squad had great veterans and great youth but lacked something in the 26-30 age group so went and got players like Petit & Overmars.

Wouldn't be surprised if his teams continue to have a higher average age over the next 3 years than they have over the last 4.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I see him leaving Arsenal. To us though? No. City or he'll go Spain or Italy in my opinion. He'll want to win trophies I imagine.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Yeah, I can just imagine him wandering around the streets of Rotterdam as a kid with a ball at his feet pretending to be Perry Groves or David Hiller.
If I knew how to find it I would post the picture of Van Persie as a boy, in his room will his room full of Arsenal paraphernalia.

Varun

Staff
Wouldnt be surprised at all if he leaves, boyhood fan or not. Far too good a player to be not playing in the CL or not fighting for trophies. That more than his wages would be the deciding factor i feel in whether he stays or goes.

Even if he does leave, dont think he'l come to us at all. The likes of Barca and Real dont really need him but i somehow dont see him staying in England if he moves clubs.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Arsenal shouldn't let him go, for whatever price. He is the best striker in the league at the moment.

Treble

"If you score many goals at some club and move to a better club then you are bound to be a success."

Surely, football doesn't work like that. David Villa was considered the best striker in the world before moving to Barcelona. I knew people who thought that he was going to score even more goals at Barca as Barca create more chances than Valencia. Well, it hasn't worked that way. Currently Villa is just one of many excellent strikers out there, hardly one of the very best at the moment.

Torres to Chelsea. Chelsea create more chances than Liverpool, so the expectations were that Torres was going to score tons of goals. I remember having discussion with Cina about this. I told him that there was no guarantee that Torres would succeed there. Well, 5 goals in over 30 games. So much for the muppet's logic.

If v. Persie moves to a better club, the likes of Barca, Real, United, he will score less goals and will be just one of the many stars there. Arsenal are set up to create chances for v. Persie, it won't be the same at better clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.