g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Do we have the budget to sign Messi?

Jacob

Didnt United say over the years that they didnt operate with a budget, and if special players were to turn up in the market they would find room for them?
SAF also said if a worldclass player becomes available, you go for him even though you're stacked in that position.

SirAnderson

i want him no where near this club, not cause he's won't be brilliant but because he represents everything we are trying to move away from by giving over aged players obscene contracts, we should focus on a DM.
I see you constantly say "we" but your profile says you support Real Madrid, what gives?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
SAF also said if a worldclass player becomes available, you go for him even though you're stacked in that position.
Woodward said this, not SAF, and it wasn't quite how you said it to be.....

tomaldinho1

Even if we offered him a deal, we have such a bad rep amongst Argentinians.
Romero - fecking hates us
Rojo - doesn’t care at all
ADM - absolutely hates us
Heinze - tried to move to Pool ffs
Tevez - we actually messed up there but still ended up at a local rival.

Schnappo

Even if we had the financial capability to pull this off, I don't think Messi would even consider coming to United at the moment. He hasn't really got too much longer left in the game and I'm sure if he can't spend the rest of his days at Barcelona, he'd probably want to go to a club that is virtually guaranteed silverware every season, and we're not at that level yet.

skc_18

I feel like he will be signed back by Barcelona :)
However if we were sign him I dont think budget would be a problem if we clear deadwood. May be it will force us to clear the deadwood.

De gea + Pogba = 600 K
Cavani from next year = 200 K
Even if United paid 400 K for messi calibre player, it will be 1.2 M per week which would be closer to 50-60 M he is asking. Surely Adidas + Team viewer could contribute this year to cover this years' cavani wage.

You could argue whether United need above players. De gea and cavani (after next year) surely are surplus. And Messi would probably play in the same position as Cavani. Last couple of seasons, Pogba is playing for us in patches both in availability and performance . Also we cant field these 5(Sancho,Messi,Rashford,Bruno,Pogba) on the pitch simultaneously unless we are chasing a game.

RC89

Break our wage structure and piss off every player … great! No thanks

As SAF would have said, “ he’ll have to accept what he’s given and play in the reserves to prove his fitness first!” This is a big club.”
Piss everyone off? Who in their right mind would think they deserve parity with Messi other than CR7? No one at the club will be as big a draw for neutrals to watch, no one will sell anywhere near as many shirts and no one is close to him in terms of footballing ability. If we were to break the wage structure for Pogba, that's more likely to kick up a fuss than Messi. Players will hear what he earns and shrug their shoulders knowing full well they can't demand the same or close.

wolvored

He will join a club that guarantee trophies so he wont come here. Also the glazers love american football, but utd is looked on as a cash cow with the perplexity of having to put in a bit of money each season to keep the football side viable.

RC89

Financially I feel like we could probably make it happen (or at least meet whatever he ends up going for). I don't think we have the clout for it though. He's 34, we don't have any Argentines or ex Barca players or some random people that are friends with Messi to lure him over. Ole has done well but let's not pretend like he'd be a draw for Messi as manager. We've been shit on a European football level since Sir Alex retired (even if we're on the up). And it's Manchester compared to living in Barcelona his whole life, while being able to hand pick wherever he wants. City with their success and Pep are easily ahead of us, but PSG is the easy favorite overall IMO.
Agreed. I think before even looking at being able to afford him, all the above will likely mean he's not interested anyway

r1z3mu

Just imagine PSG of 2022 - sounds scary - Messi, Mbappe, Neymar. Behind them Pogba + Verratti + DiMaria. Also Ramos and Donnarumma.

Last edited:

seegoblu

While I am sure PSG will try to sign him, if Messi wants to come to the PL, to me the obvious choice is Chelsea. I don’t think the Lukaku signing will happen and they’ll pivot to Messi.

diarm

While I am sure PSG will try to sign him, if Messi wants to come to the PL, to me the obvious choice is Chelsea. I don’t think the Lukaku signing will happen and they’ll pivot to Messi.
The idea of Messi going to Chelsea is like the awful hyperbolic example you'd give if somebody suggested some slightly less ludicrous transfer.

For example, if Norwich were rumoured to be looking at Chiesa, you might say "don't be so ridiculous, there's less chance of Chiesa going to Norwich than there is Messi going to Chelsea".

lsd

The Oracle
He is in talks with PSG anyone who thought we were in with a chance of getting him needs to take a long look at themselves

mu4c_20le

He is in talks with PSG anyone who thought we were in with a chance of getting him needs to take a long look at themselves
Yep, after Sanchez, never again. This guys another mercenary, let him go be an oil prince's play thing.

Shnabb

A long look at themselves? I would think that PSG and City are the only two clubs that he is more likely to end up at than United and the other top clubs.

I don't think that we will sign him, but entertaining the idea doesn't seem outlandish to me.

Woodzy

----------------------cavani-----------------------
---sancho------bruno------messi---------
--------------fred---------neves----------------
---shaw---maguire----varane----awb---
-----------------------hds---------------------------
Ahhh, Edwin Hands Der Sar, excellent time for him to come out of retirement.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
If he's leaving Barcelona and Spain I'd like to see him playing in the premier League. Not sure United plays the type of football that can advantage of him at all and leaving aside his obscene wages it would be worth for any top team to make an offer for him.

cyril C

I feel like he will be signed back by Barcelona :)
However if we were sign him I dont think budget would be a problem if we clear deadwood. May be it will force us to clear the deadwood.

De gea + Pogba = 600 K
Cavani from next year = 200 K
Even if United paid 400 K for messi calibre player, it will be 1.2 M per week which would be closer to 50-60 M he is asking. Surely Adidas + Team viewer could contribute this year to cover this years' cavani wage.

You could argue whether United need above players. De gea and cavani (after next year) surely are surplus. And Messi would probably play in the same position as Cavani. Last couple of seasons, Pogba is playing for us in patches both in availability and performance . Also we cant field these 5(Sancho,Messi,Rashford,Bruno,Pogba) on the pitch simultaneously unless we are chasing a game.
Messi at 400K? Do you know he earned something closed to 1M Euro a WEEK? You expect a free agent willing to take a 50% pay cut? On a 10 years contract perhaps, just to backload his wages in future years.

I would love to see City sign him on, just to see how they balance their book.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Messi's wages would be subsidized by his shirt sales. It's not a question of whether or not we could afford him. It's a question of whether or not he would want to play here

skc_18

Messi at 400K? Do you know he earned something closed to 1M Euro a WEEK? You expect a free agent willing to take a 50% pay cut? On a 10 years contract perhaps, just to backload his wages in future years.

I would love to see City sign him on, just to see how they balance their book.
I meant 600 K + 200 k + 400 K = 1.2 M per week :) .
Also I dont think he was at 1M per week at Barca, he was probably more than 2M but was willing to pay cut to 1M this season.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Messi would destroy this club. As much of a brilliant player he is, he will end up being the centrepiece of our entire season both in the media and on the pitch, hampering the development of our new additions and younger players.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We don’t have the budget, and building a team around a 34 year old wouldn’t be ideal for us.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Utd are happy paying players like Martial £250K a week so paying Messi £500K+ is a no brainer.
500k isn’t enough, his was supposed to sign a 5 year contract worth around 340m not long ago. We need to offer him a 12 year contract if we are to equal the total amount.