Do we need an experienced backup striker?

Sterling Archer

If we brought for arguments sake Vardy or Keane, then Lukaku would become the reserve striker. For me Lukaku is not the way forward when we play at the higher level of the premier league and certainly not at European level.
Without looking up his goal scoring figures I think he has managed a total of 16 league goals, ( I stand to be corrected on this ) but if this is the case then he is not exactly tearing up tree trunks, it is what I would expect from a middle of the road Premier league striker.
Sir Matt expected at least 20 goals per season from his centre forward, and the two inside forwards, plus around ten from his two wingers in an average season. Not saying they achieved it every season but those were the standards to aim for.
This season we have managed around 68/69 although conceded around 27/28, which is very good, however the goals for in my opinion is poor. For me Lukaku is not the type of player who can create his own goals, but is dependant on others too supply that final pass. What we require given that at this moment in time our mid field and full back/ wingers lack the ability on many occasions to make that decisive pass is a striker(s) who can create their own opportunities.
Perhaps I have been spoilt, having been able to see some of the very best of Utd., players from the 1956 side all the way up to recent teams. Paddy Crerand a wing half of class, saw him play a diagonal ball from right to left a full 70 yards to George who did not have too check his pace to take the ball on his left foot, result a goal. This was not the exceptional pass but the norm. Now we have Young and Valencia if they hit a accurate pass 1 in 10 it is applauded, is it a wonder that our striker(s) have in my opinion such a poor scoring rate.
Crerand? Really?

Surely you can reference a more recent team and set of forwards if you're comparing against Lukaku and our wing play? Unless you genuinely think football from that era really compares well let alone that most of the posters here will be able to relate. I think you start pushing it if you drop back further than the mid nighties.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I think we do
Llorente has played 29 games this year for Spurs, primarily as a backup to Kane
But who would you sign?
I think Dzeko would be a brilliant signing.......
Not sure he'd want to be a backup at this stage of his career, but Dzeko's a great shout if we try to sign a player of that profile. I was delighted when City sold him although sadly their replacements have been pretty decent.

baskinginthesun

Don't know really. I guess we already have on in Rashford and Martial. However, if we were to sign a backup striker specifically for Lukaku, Giroud or Dzeko would be great shouts. Someone that is in a similar mould to Lukaku wouldn't require changing the system to accommodate them.

Ekeke

I cant imagine Vardy or Dzeko wanting to sit on our bench

Martial and Rashford were given 9 league matches between them up front. They managed 3 goals and 2 assists between them in those matches. While it isnt great, its not that bad considering they're played out of position on a weekly basis. And significantly better strikers are unlikely to want to sign and play 9 league matches a season and even if they were, I dont think that'd help Rashford and Martial develop

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We definitely need another striker or attacker to score some goals. If Lukaku goes down then we are fecked. But even with Lukaku alone, its highly unlikely we will generate enough attack output to catch City.

For comparison...Raheem fecking Sterling knocked in 23 for them. We need a player who can generate mid twenties type results.

Velvet Revolver

I think we need an out of out striker for sure. We cannot go into a season challenging for titles with just one striker. But it all depends on what the tactics are going forward. 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 only allow for one 'striker' to play in that system. So the options for backup would be a tall strong striker who can hold the ball and bully defenses. Not many would want to join us to be on the bench. Considering how many games Lukaku played this season it is likely the new player will warm the bench more often that not. Plus if we need another player to occupy the box and lump balls on to him then better to give fellaini a new contract!

However if Jose changes tactics to a 3 at the back or a diamond then yes there is scope. I for one hope we get someone who is in a different mold. Vardy would be a decent option - Pacy, Keeps the opposition defense on the edge, Doesn't need too many chances to score goals and excels with long balls.

Rashford Martial and Alexis are too inconsistent to be an option as a secondary striker!

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I cant imagine Vardy or Dzeko wanting to sit on our bench

Martial and Rashford were given 9 league matches between them up front. They managed 3 goals and 2 assists between them in those matches. While it isnt great, its not that bad considering they're played out of position on a weekly basis. And significantly better strikers are unlikely to want to sign and play 9 league matches a season and even if they were, I dont think that'd help Rashford and Martial develop
I can't either, no reasonable striker of quality would wanna waste his time on the bench unless we give him obscene wages.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I think we do, for chasing game or when Lukaku is in his (big games) period.

We used to have FOUR strikers, rotating for 2 spots. And in our Treble season, we had Solksjaer and Sheringham, who contributed to us winning the Champions League. And those back ups were all seasons pro.

To my surprise, not many see this need when listing those 6 new players thread. Who'd be suitable and available? Discuss.
Nobody sees the need anymore because everyone is obsessed with playing a 4-3-3 or some version of just playing 1 striker. I definitely think we should have more strikers in the squad and should be playing with 2 strikers for almost every game. Why we insist on playing a 4-3-3 against small clubs is a head scratcher to me. Are Matic and Pogba not good enough to win the midfield battle against teams outside the top 6? We should be dominating teams and scoring more goals and with one striker our attack is too isolated. Give Lukaku a strike partner and I guarantee we will score more goals and be more deadly on the counter attack...

simplyared

Jamie Vardy would be a very useful addition to our squad imv. Whether he would be a back-up for Lukaku or cement himself as no. 1, would remain to be seen.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Nobody sees the need anymore because everyone is obsessed with playing a 4-3-3 or some version of just playing 1 striker. I definitely think we should have more strikers in the squad and should be playing with 2 strikers for almost every game. Why we insist on playing a 4-3-3 against small clubs is a head scratcher to me. Are Matic and Pogba not good enough to win the midfield battle against teams outside the top 6? We should be dominating teams and scoring more goals and with one striker our attack is too isolated. Give Lukaku a strike partner and I guarantee we will score more goals and be more deadly on the counter attack...
Agreed. Even when we had one striker system with Ruud, we had Solskjaer, Forlan/Saha as backup; and that's with Rooney/Scholes as a second striker who could bang in 20+ goals.

In the past when we were still winning stuff, Fergie never messed up with the striker position. At one time, he still bought Berbatov while having Tevez, Rooney, and Ronaldo who could already bang in goals for fun. He had Chicarito and Rooney, but still bought RvPersie.

I am all for having Martial and Rashford as our FUTURE strikers. But can United wait until they MAY be ready to be dependable?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Jamie Vardy would be a very useful addition to our squad imv. Whether he would be a back-up for Lukaku or cement himself as no. 1, would remain to be seen.
It's a win win situation for United. We'll have two strikers eager to prove themselves.

Marcky411

Can he be a CF? Become a bully, or brings others into the play?
Not all strikers have to be bullies, that is just what Jose likes, a big brut up top throwing his weight around instead of his football ability. If you look at the best strikers out there not all are bullies, e.g Aguero, Salah, even Kane. Martial has football intelligence and incredible footwork, doesn't need to bully unless your main objective is to hoof the ball forward.
If Jose didn't have his head up his ... and rotated players we wouldn't have this problem but he doesn't, the fact that we always only play with one striker doesn't help matters either. When he does give someone a chance he is shocked they don't perform up to standard seeing they have warmed the bench more than anything else. Personally I think we don't have to worry about Martial any more he will be gone in the summer, the question is who he will buy to replace him and if the new purchase will put Lukaku on the bench like Sanchez did with Rashford and Martial.

Bocca9978

We had an experienced backup striker, Ibrahimovic.

Agree we need someone like Solskjaer and Sheringham to grab goals when it’s not happening.

Would take Vardy, if he has a good World Cup.

buckooo1978

technically yes so we could let Rashford go on loan and get 30+ starts at 9

not sure how that would work though- it would almost be like denoting Rashford from squad player to Youth prospect

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Not all strikers have to be bullies, that is just what Jose likes, a big brut up top throwing his weight around instead of his football ability. If you look at the best strikers out there not all are bullies, e.g Aguero, Salah, even Kane. Martial has football intelligence and incredible footwork, doesn't need to bully unless your main objective is to hoof the ball forward.
If Jose didn't have his head up his ... and rotated players we wouldn't have this problem but he doesn't, the fact that we always only play with one striker doesn't help matters either. When he does give someone a chance he is shocked they don't perform up to standard seeing they have warmed the bench more than anything else. Personally I think we don't have to worry about Martial any more he will be gone in the summer, the question is who he will buy to replace him and if the new purchase will put Lukaku on the bench like Sanchez did with Rashford and Martial.
Kane and Aguero are definite bullies. They can hold up against (and harass) any centerback in the league. I don't know why you think otherwise.

All strikers we had in the past under Fergie were bullies also; although they did it more subtly. Mark Hughes, Ruud, Rooney, Tevez, RvP. You may question Andy Cole, Berba and Saha, but they were all further from softies (except maybe Berba who at the end, didn't last long).

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
technically yes so we could let Rashford go on loan and get 30+ starts at 9

not sure how that would work though- it would almost be like denoting Rashford from squad player to Youth prospect
That's another solution to Rashford. I'm sure plenty of clubs are willing to take him on loan. It's a win-win for the player and the club(s).

Smores

Yeah I've thought for a while we we need someone. Martial and Rashford just aren't ready to carry us if Lukaku gets injured.

Saying that, its not worth it for Jose. He'd get hell abuse if he put someone in front of Rashford. I reckon we'll just hope Rashford improves

Water Melon

No we do not need an experienced striker imo. We have Martial and Rashford who can lead the line if need be. Mou has also said that we won't be buying an attacker. If Pereira comes back and stays put, I can see us signing one midfielder, 2 FBs and one CB.

Fer

We have other priorities. We just bought an attacker in Sanchez. What we need is a right winger and a top CM to create opportunities for our forwards.

I truly believe that if we sign proper fullbacks, we could get the best out of our team. So, we don't need a backup striker when we have Alexis, Martial and Rashford who are able to play there if needed.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I always find it strange when I read a thread like this alongside another one that complains about Mourinho letting Salah slip through his fingers.

That's Salah, the player who became a star at 25, when he'd never before scored 20 goals in a season. Then there's Raheem Sterling who's now a 20+ forward, but who'd been hitting around the 10 mark prior to this season.

If we get lucky and there's an experienced reliable striker going cheap for some reason - like Zlatan or Falcao - I'm sure we'll be interested. If there's a big star who wants us as much as we want him - I'm sure we'll be interested.

But the rest? Morata has struggled to do anything, despite playing in his favoured position, the £60m price tag and United's interest in him (as a first choice) last year, so where do you find the safe backup bets? I'm deeply suspicion of any player bought in expectation of being benched (or rotated out when a big game approaches). I don't want an expensive experiment, I'd rather see our younger players get those minutes.

Mind you, it helps that I do see Rashford as an exceptional talent who just needs the right setup (and patience) to turn into an exceptional player.

Marcky411

Kane and Aguero are definite bullies. They can hold up against (and harass) any centerback in the league. I don't know why you think otherwise.

All strikers we had in the past under Fergie were bullies also; although they did it more subtly. Mark Hughes, Ruud, Rooney, Tevez, RvP. You may question Andy Cole, Berba and Saha, but they were all further from softies (except maybe Berba who at the end, didn't last long).
Well then we have a different opinion about a striker being a bully. Then in actual fact any striker/s can hold their own against defences are bullies.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I think we do, for chasing game or when Lukaku is in his (big games) period.

We used to have FOUR strikers, rotating for 2 spots. And in our Treble season, we had Solksjaer and Sheringham, who contributed to us winning the Champions League. And those back ups were all seasons pro.

To my surprise, not many see this need when listing those 6 new players thread. Who'd be suitable and available? Discuss.
No. We need to trust the process of developing Martial and Rashford. A fully rested Alexis next season will take care if any short fall in goals Lukaku's absence can cause

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
England’s AC9
Are you on about Andy Carroll, because I'm pretty sure he won't be making any England squads.

Or there is Alex O-Chamerlain, but he is not big or a 9.

Or Aaron Creswell, also not a 9.

Either way, cut the crap. It's as annoying as people referring to shots in a button like way from computer games. Or rating players with football manager stats.

This all just needs to stop.

Alabaster Codify7

I reckon so, yes.
Imagine Lukaku out for 3-4months. Allow that to sink in. The other option just isn't worth considering at this point.

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
Are you on about Andy Carroll, because I'm pretty sure he won't be making any England squads.

Or there is Alex O-Chamerlain, but he is not big or a 9.

Or Aaron Creswell, also not a 9.

Either way, cut the crap. It's as annoying as people referring to shots in a button like way from computer games. Or rating players with football manager stats.

This all just needs to stop.

The only option is Andy Carroll which is obvious.

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
@RedTillI'mDead I meant in the context, it could only be Andy Carroll. It couldn't be Chamberlain as he's not a 9 (same for crewsell). A crappy choice yes, but there was no doubt he meant Andy (probably as a joke)

Wallez

Andre-Pierre Gignac is out of contract this summer. Just saying. We currently have no backup for Lukaku that has the abilities Mourinho want in terms of physical presence.