Do we really need to sign Jadon Sancho to beat Palace?

dinostar77

I've always thought you need a good CB pairing to be successful and a strong spine through your team. We dont have either at present. Lindelof is too passive and nice to be a top CB. Maguire isnt great either but we are stuck with him. A partner who complements Maguire i.e. someone with speed would help to improve the CB pairing.

Luke Shaw, the less said the better. We need an upgrade in that position. Someone who can provide some actual assists through the course of the season. Also he passes sideways and inwards and never goes on the outside to whip a cross in. That might be his tactical instructions, but i think hes been a disappointment for a lomg time.

Personally I'd be happy to see Pogba leave the club, hes undoubtedly got potential thats never going to be realized, players with lesser ability can do a better job than him in his current role. I agree with Mourinho when he was at Utd. A utd without Pogba at the club would be a better more focused team.

Lack of wingers is an issue, thats been discussed tonight in a seperate thread.

mancan92

Football is a game of emotions.

We've had a shit off season. We have had less of a pre-season than everyone, there have been controversies around multiple players and various other covid related or family related reasons why our starting 11 was not as prepared as they should have been.

On top of that there is additional gloom caused by the continued shoddy mismanagement of transfers by senior management. That can affect team morale.

Getting a player like Sancho in would have lifted the atmosphere, I think.
This is as clear as day. Football is about momentum build it up and you have to keep it going. Stop building and things come crumbling down very easily.

Devil81

In answer to the original question...

No you don't need Sancho but you at least need a squad that's prepared or half fit.

Greck

Luke Shaw has now come out and said we need players. Am I the only one who finds this completely fecking absurd? We finished 3rd last year, were top of the table from January onwards and reached 3 semi-finals and yet everyone including the actual playing squad have gone into the season with the belief that unless we spend 200m we’re completely screwed. It would never happen under Ferguson. In fact it doesn’t happen at any other fecking club. We’re basically Transfer FC - every year the whole summer seems to depend on the transfer window. The utter chaos and hysteria surrounding us is just mind boggling.
it's embarrassing, spoilt and excuse making at its worst. We all want transfers, in fact we need it to get better, but its absence should not be used to justify a capitulation or underperformance in every scenario, especially if we have outspent the competition, gross and net. Other clubs don't throw out season expectations every year they dont spend 100m plus. We're like those rich kids crying about their ferrari