Do you believe Ronaldo is finished as a top level player?

Well...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Yes. And I have done for quite a while.
Sad watching the decline of a truly great player .
But there it is.

The Irish Connection

It is not "reveling", but club comes above players. If he cannot play he should have been let go. Playing a player who cannot cut it (reason doesn't matter) or keeping them on bench, when they ae by far highest-paid in the entire league is criminal for the club.

All the sympathy to Ronaldo, it's a horrible tragedy and our heart breaks for him, but it's no reason for him being on squad.

p.s. Also a technicality, but I would rather describe Ronaldo as "a legend who once played for us" and not as "United legend". He is clearly a Real Madrid legend, who played for a number of teams, ourselves included. Again, not a big deal but still something to mention.
Go way out of that, he most definitely is a United legend.

Jericho

It is not "reveling", but club comes above players. If he cannot play he should have been let go. Playing a player who cannot cut it (reason doesn't matter) or keeping them on bench, when they ae by far highest-paid in the entire league is criminal for the club.

All the sympathy to Ronaldo, it's a horrible tragedy and our heart breaks for him, but it's no reason for him being on squad.

p.s. Also a technicality, but I would rather describe Ronaldo as "a legend who once played for us" and not as "United legend". He is clearly a Real Madrid legend, who played for a number of teams, ourselves included. Again, not a big deal but still something to mention.

I get where you're coming from. His time at Madrid completely overshadows his time here. But United only have 3 European cups, and he was a major part of one, as well as 3 consecutive league titles.

Ockham

Supports
Barcelona
I think he is s Manchester united legend because he was part of the team that won the Champions league in 2008 as well as the treble EPL trophy. He was never my best player in that squad ( scholes, Rooney and Giggs were my best in that order) but he was part of the squad so I will call him a legend for this club. But his best football were in Spain
He scored 42 goals in 46 starts as a midfielder. He scored 8 of United 20 goals in CL, 3 out of Uniteds 7 in the KO stages and the only goal in the final. And yeah. He won Ballon d'or with 446 votes with Rooney on 13th place with 11 votes and Giggs and Scholes got no votes.
I absolutely hate Ronaldos persona but this thread is getting more ridiculous for every minute.

Reactions: sizzling sausages

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I get where you're coming from. His time at Madrid completely overshadows his time here. But United only have 3 European cups, and he was a major part of one, as well as 3 consecutive league titles.
Yeah, that's fine. I am not saying nobody can call him a United Legend, many are and it's fine. But was mostly making the same point as what you said better that "his time at Real Madrid overshadows his time at United" and RM wasn't gonna stick with him after his decline, so we shouldn't have either.

The1974s

He scored 42 goals in 46 starts as a midfielder. He scored 8 of United 20 goals in CL, 3 out of Uniteds 7 in the KO stages and the only goal in the final. And yeah. He won Ballon d'or with 446 votes with Rooney on 13th place with 11 votes and Giggs and Scholes got no votes.
I absolutely hate Ronaldos persona but this thread is getting more ridiculous for every minute.

At last someone with some sense speaks

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Nature has cut up with him sadly, has they say nature can't be cheated.

Gordon S

He is done at top level. No doubt anymore.
The competition in our team is sadly not that great so he will obviously play a part this season.

But the thing i hate more than anything when he plays is that most of our players constantly looks for him in the attack. Even if there are other players making good runs they feel they just have to squeeze it through to him somehow. I guess it comes with pure instinct.
Rashford was in a great position to score another one and make it a comfortable win in the end, but no, what if he could get a high five and a hug from a smiling Ronaldo. That would be a million times better…

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
As I said in his performance thread, his finishing is terrible at the moment but his all-round performance is comfortably better than what Rashford has been dishing up in that striker position. Obviously Martial should be our first choice when fit, but when he's not playing we're much better off with Ronaldo up front and Rashford on the left.

Ronaldo is still getting into the positions and getting chances, he's just struggling to put them away. I'd much rather that than him not even getting into the right positions anymore. The latter is much more likely to be permanent decline, whereas the former should be (in theory at least) able to be overcome.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
When Goatnaldo wins the Golden Ball/Golden Boot/WC22 then you better ban me from this forum because I will unleash unfathomable hate on all the negative posters in this thread.

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
Man, Ronaldo was shocking today. It was funny at first seeing him get humbled but this is just depressing now
It isn't funny when you factor in that he is on £380,000 a week.

Or to put it another way: 2 weeks of Ronaldo's wages is more than Omonia Nicosia have spent on transfers in the last eight seasons - and they were 1:0 up at half-time....

Man United's best hope of getting into the CL next season is probably by winning this competition, they aren't going to do that with Ronaldo in the first 11.

demetre

I can understand him losing pace, but how come his touch and his composure in front of goal deteriorated like that?

Deery

Dreary
I can understand him losing pace, but how come his touch and his composure in front of goal deteriorated like that?
It takes a lot to move and position yourself as you get older, those things that look so easy for a Rashford suddenly become really difficult and tiring. All part of getting old but he’s trying really hard probably more than many give him credit for.

Todd

He is done at the top level, yes. Unfortunately for him I'm not sure his ego can handle that.

Bearing in mind that his foremost goal at this point is probably to find a way to put his CL goals record out of reach of Messi, his best bet is to go to PSG next summer assuming Messi goes back to Barcelona. If he does that I'm sure he'll be able to bang in a few goals to top off his career, and his CL record will be safe for a while until Haaland eventually takes it.

NewDawnFades

Really quite entertaining to watch how it all unravels for him given the personality he has. All ego, no loyalty. He always was such a cry baby.

GinobiliTheGOAT

It isn't funny when you factor in that he is on £380,000 a week.

Or to put it another way: 2 weeks of Ronaldo's wages is more than Omonia Nicosia have spent on transfers in the last eight seasons - and they were 1:0 up at half-time....

Man United's best hope of getting into the CL next season is probably by winning this competition, they aren't going to do that with Ronaldo in the first 11.
Oof, brilliantly said, wow

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
As I said in his performance thread, his finishing is terrible at the moment but his all-round performance is comfortably better than what Rashford has been dishing up in that striker position. Obviously Martial should be our first choice when fit, but when he's not playing we're much better off with Ronaldo up front and Rashford on the left.

Ronaldo is still getting into the positions and getting chances, he's just struggling to put them away. I'd much rather that than him not even getting into the right positions anymore. The latter is much more likely to be permanent decline, whereas the former should be (in theory at least) able to be overcome.
Dalot and rashford passed up open goalmouth chances to get him a tap in out of pity for him and he even fecked those up.

Lee565

Anyone else fed up with ex united players like keane and Scholes who played with ronaldo are in denial of him being past it, let him off for being completely unprofessional during the summer and are quick to criticise ten hag when we lose games that he doesn't start/use ronaldo

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

I thought ETH would have been quite happy with Ronaldo tonight. He’s obviously not justifying his wages, but he did most things right except for finishing his chances. His movement and link up play was much better, and like you I want Rashford left with Martial or Ronaldo up top.

SAFMUTD

I dont remember many players fall from grace so abruptely, he was good last season. Right now if his name wasnt Cristiano Ronaldo he wouldnt even be on the bench.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Anyone else fed up with ex united players like keane and Scholes who played with ronaldo are in denial of him being past it, let him off for being completely unprofessional during the summer and are quick to criticise ten hag when we lose games that he doesn't start/use ronaldo
It was the same with Rooney towards the end. He’d been past it for at least 2 years but ex-pros just refused to talk about the fact he wasn’t the player he used to be, instead saying things like “it’s Wayne Rooney, how can you write him off?”. Well players decline, what he did 5 years ago is irrelevant.

KeanoMagicHat

8 shots (Normally you are amongst top five players in all big European leagues if you average 4 shots a game)
1 hit in woodwork
1 assist
7.7 rating Sofa Score (second best on pitch)
7.7 rating Whoscored.com (second best on pitch)

Based on that Ronaldo is finished? Ronaldo sure isn't the future for the club, he hasn't got the pressing game that helps the team and he sure deserves to be on the bench after his summer circus but finished as a striker and a chance creator, seriously? Supporter forums never seize to amaze me. The negativity is the oxygen for the modern day supporter that often have the attention span of a squirrel.
And now the shoal of fish is following Martial and Rashford instead. Well, anyone that takes a look at their player performance threads realizes that their time in the sunshine will end when they have had a couple of bad games since they have been shite for years now (according to this forum, not me I like them both, especially Martial). Like every coach United have had after Ferguson.

If I had a gun pointed to my head and someone said that I had to pick out a United player to score 30+ goals this season from now otherwise I would be shot I would go with Ronaldo without hesitating for a second. And starting games with the three attackers that ended todays game would imho be a very good approach to the next games.
You see that's the problem with stats without context. The woodwork was an absolute sitter?

As for this, you'll be dead. He has 1 from 9 (a penalty) this season. He did nothing tonight to deserve starting over Rashford and Martial (who saved us). Last season he scored 24 goals, with a headstart of scoring 5 or 6 goals in his first month. He looked far sharper. Yet he's going to score 6 more goals than last season where he played nearly every game available despite 1) not starting 2) not playing well at all 3) being 38 by the end of the season?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Because he’s 39 fecking years old.

Why do people need to be reminded of this? There’s no mystery here. He’s over the hill. It happens. Usually much earlier than this. The only mystery is why so many fans seem surprised that a 39 year old is playing like a 39 year old.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Because he’s 39 fecking years old.

Why do people need to be reminded of this? There’s no mystery here. He’s over the hill. It happens. Usually much earlier than this. The only mystery is why so many fans seem surprised that a 39 year old is playing like a 39 year old.
He's 37...but point still stands!

Greck

This thing has entered the same full blown delusion we had with Ole. Don't let anyone tell you the glazers are the only problem at the club. Imagine still pressuring the manager over this. He also isn't better than Rashford or Martial, it's ok, he's friggin 37.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He'll still play every minute of the World Cup in Qatar and Portugal will thus barely scrape through the group only to go out in the first KO round.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
When Goatnaldo wins the Golden Ball/Golden Boot/WC22 then you better ban me from this forum because I will unleash unfathomable hate on all the negative posters in this thread.
I Portugal wins the WC and Ronaldo wins Ballon D'Or, I will tattoo his face on my chest, then upload the photo holding a note with my nickname.

Abraxas

Incredible the way he's fluffing his lines with easy chances he'd have gobbled up even last year.

It's not strange that a 37 year old is not good enough for United anymore, it's just eye opening how he's gone from being sort of functional as a scorer to not being able to finish his dinner. He's married the falling over, lack of strength in his legs that was there last season with the finishing ability of Bellion. It's like all coordination is gone.

Hopefully he can pull a few goals out of the fire at some point. I do think he will improve his output, he has to.

TheLord

This thread's question is so outdated - it is obvious that he is finished. He was already finished in the last season at Juve.

The more sensible thread title would be to ask if we should let him go for free in the January transfer window? His insane wages is better spent on two decent incoming players.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Should never have signed him. A waste of everybody's time.