Do you see the plan yet?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Fair enough, but the manor in which we don’t qualify surely has to come into consideration. Say we go on a run of five losses or a collapse similar to the end of last season, surely we’d have to question rather it’d be a good idea to persist given the players he now has at his disposal. I get that he’s had injuries and hasn’t been able to select his best eleven all season, but that’s now about to change.
Not for me. My argument in favour of Ole all season is that this is a long term plan for the club, so for me CL qualification wasn't ever going to be a deal-breaker. The parameter to measure him by was simply progress, which of course is subjective but I think right now we are seeing clear signs of progress in many respects.

We need to step back and realise how far we have come. Think back to the squad he inherited, the morale within the club and in the stands, the players stealing a living, a frankly non-existent plan to recruitment. While this season has been a rocky and inconsistent road for the team, it actually has been for every other team but one, and he has had to deal with a squad that was short of quality and depth in areas, some unfortunate injuries that exposed that lack of depth, and also a relentless fixture calendar due to our progression in the cups. As of this morning we have a great chance of top four, a winnable route into the FA Cup semi's, and a winnable route into the Europa League QF's. Our players look happy, focused, fit, and in many cases producing massively improved performance levels. Yet there are still people on here that think he is the worst manager in the league, and virtually unemployable. Those people just get added to the ignore list now.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
No consistent style of play. Everything was James breaking free, then trying to find Martial or Fernandes... need more variety.

Jonno

The thing is, win lose or draw our next game, the plan IS THERE. It's plain to see.

Ole is moving us forward.
He does have the tactical brain to outfox better managers with better players
He is learning how to break down inferior teams
He is excellent in the transfer market
He is a Manchester United legend and he's one of our own
He too is entitled to turn into a better manager and he is

It's time to get on board and enjoy the ride. I do see quite a few posters seemingly unhappy when we win because it goes against their narrative of 'sack Ole, Woodward, get a world class manager'.

Absolutely no bother to me if Ole stays and sees out this project. It might all go south in 18 months and at which point, we gave him a good crack at it.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Jesus fecking christ
For the people forgetting that we’ve had these moments before under Ole before and this victory against City was no different to the previous ones. All successful teams have variety to their play, we beat City and did well, but in the long term the tactic we used to beat City is not sustainable and will be easily nullified.

Jonno

No consistent style of play. Everything was James breaking free, then trying to find Martial or Fernandes... need more variety.
And this is why if you were a professional football manager, you'd be on the receiving end of a 0-4 or 0-5 defeat. So naive.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
And this is why if you were a professional football manager, you'd be on the receiving end of a 0-4 or 0-5 defeat. So naive.
So naive are the people talking about “seeing the plan” or acting like this is Ole’s turning moment. As a one off match, great performance and great tactics. But that’s all it is a one off match. Vs Everton we were bang average, and lucky not to lose.

RedfromIreland

So naive are the people talking about “seeing the plan” or acting like this is Ole’s turning moment. As a one off match, great performance and great tactics. But that’s all it is a one off match. Vs Everton we were bang average, and lucky not to lose.
A one off match? What have you been watching for the last number of weeks?
Why were we lucky against Everton? If you are referring to the disallowed goal then you don’t understand football. The rules are there to be observed and in that match we’re clearly adhered to.

Andersons Dietician

I think a plan has been evident since last year. Odd people don’t seem to see that. Yesterday a one off fixture we did what was needed for us to win the game. Within a dogged display people were able to show moments of true quality which they wouldn’t have been able to do under Jose.

Ole and his team have in my eyes done the hardest thing already which is change the mood of the place after Jose. People actually seem to be playing with a bit of confidence and a smile on their face. Is it perfect, no. Do we still need more quality in areas, yes for sure. But it at least looked like there is a direction we are heading but there is still a long way to go.

The fact we are even in with a shout of 4th is beyond what I would have thought possible this season.

KennyBurner

If we did this against any other team than Liverpool and City then you’d have a point. There is only one way to play against an annoying team that likes to dominate through possession and yesterday was it.

With Bruno in the side we have started playing and creating more chances. Let’s see what Ole does against mourinho. I’m 100% sure he will look to dominate. We also have easier fixtures after that to see how Ole wants us to play now that we have a strong 11 with no handicaps(lingard) involved.

romufc

I love this post. You are calling for a consistent style of play and in the next sentence you are calling for variety.

A one off match? What have you been watching for the last number of weeks?
Why were we lucky against Everton? If you are referring to the disallowed goal then you don’t understand football. The rules are there to be observed and in that match we’re clearly adhered to.
It is clear what he is trying to do. Vs Everton 1st half we were good after we shot ourselves in the first few minutes.

The team played Sunday, Thursday as well don't forget.

In respect to style, I do not mind this style we are trying to develop where Vs Smaller teams we are more open and look to attack and against better teams hit them on the break.

There is no shame to having less possession than City.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
I love this post. You are calling for a consistent style of play and in the next sentence you are calling for variety.

It is clear what he is trying to do. Vs Everton 1st half we were good after we shot ourselves in the first few minutes.

The team played Sunday, Thursday as well don't forget.

In respect to style, I do not mind this style we are trying to develop where Vs Smaller teams we are more open and look to attack and against better teams hit them on the break.

There is no shame to having less possession than City.
Yes variety in attacking. Amazing how things need to spelt out.

romufc

So the first goal was a set piece.
We have seen goals from counter attacking
We have seen goals from high press.

Amazing how you have to spell out the different types of goals we score.

shaky

We've had 12 different goalscorers in our past 10 games. Fullbacks, Centre backs, wingers, midfielders, forwards. Are you honestly trying to claim that they're all scoring the same type of goal :lol:

King_Cantona07

Ole’s split striker tactic is something which has killed all the big managers, key is the central midfielder than the 2 strikers in how they position between the fb-cb, cb-cb and cb-fb pairings. It’s designed to create confusion among the back line and often produces mistake from them. Martial goals today and previous games are proof for it. Ederson was totally sold on this plan.

Maccataq

So many people still pointing to how we have an effective plan vs top teams but struggle against the low block teams. However, before we beat City, our recent run of good form came with a heavy caveat that we'd played weak opposition so it can't be both! We've been dealing with the smaller teams well of late but we just need to start improving our consistency. Our squad is getting stronger with the January additions and we seem to be moving in the right direction. Credit must go to Ole but we can't get carried away either.

King_Cantona07

So many people still pointing to how we have an effective plan vs top teams but struggle against the low block teams. However, before we beat City, our recent run of good form came with a heavy caveat that we'd played weak opposition so it can't be both! We've been dealing with the smaller teams well of late but we just need to start improving our consistency. Our squad is getting stronger with the January additions and we seem to be moving in the right direction. Credit must go to Ole but we can't get carried away either.
We dealt with lower teams well off late because of Bruno. Teams know there is someone who can shoot from distance with accuracy so need to close him down creating gaps in the back line. With Lingard they know he won’t do anything from distance and often will lose ball by himself via bad touch or shot on goal.

DVG7

you need to be momo positive

Gasolin

Mate, 7 wins and 3 draws in the last 10 games, the Everton draw was even unfortunate.

We scored 24 goals, and conceded 2 goals only, with 8 clean sheets and 12 different scorers in the last 10 games.
Both of our goals conceded were 2 keeper mistakes, Romero against Bruges, and De Gea against Everton.
We don't concede them in normal days and we have 8 wins and 2 draws almost.
But 2 goals only conceded in 10 games!!!

This season United has played 46 games, scored 76 goals and only 7 are counter goals.
7 as in 9.2%. Liverpool has 9.4% of counter goals.

Since 01/01/2020, we had 17 games and 36 goals, with only 1 of them being a counter goal.
One!!!

Against City, we played long 24 times when City themselves played long 43 times.
24 vs 43! Against supposedly the team that plays the most "possession" based football in the league, and one of the most possession based football team in the world.

We are scoring all kind of goals right now. Bruno, and Pogba, Rashford + a few additions are going to add even more variety in goals.
This is a very clear plan in motion.

Last edited:

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
We threw 2 points away vs Everton. Well DDG did in fairness.

Gasolin

Technically Pickford threw 2 points away against us.
How? We shoot, in their case, De Gea scores a goal only possible in FIFA 1994!!! The madness of this forum to think that Pickford goal was more a mistake than De Gea's...

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
:lol: maybe a tad dramatic!
Okay, second worst.

How? We shoot, in their case, De Gea scores a goal only possible in FIFA 1994!!! The madness of this forum to think that Pickford goal was more a mistake than De Gea's...
Everton were the ones winning and Pickford made a poor mistake, hence they dropped two points. We were never in a position to throw anything away. It's not rocket science.

Gasolin

Okay, second worst.

Everton were the ones winning and Pickford made a poor mistake, hence they dropped two points. We were never in a position to throw anything away. It's not rocket science.
Ok, we're s*** and we do not have a plan, obviously the players don't understand the manager and nothing has changed after the first 11 games. Sure.

Jerome Holland

I love my team will never hope them to lose to sack a manager, with that being said I am happy with the way the team is playing at the moment . I am one of Ole's biggest critics and I will be that way until I see something different. I see everybody jumping on the bandwagon of saying "I told you" after this run of results.

They all seem to forget majority of this good run coincides with a player by the name of Bruno. He has given the team a lift and the opposition does not know how to deal with his ability.

I will reserve my judgment on this season until May when all the competitions are completed.

Jerome Holland

Okay, second worst.

At the moment the stakes are so high that we are in a position where 1 mistake 1 slip up becomes a catastrophe for us.

Odin

Has to be the worst, most condescending op ever.
As opposed to all the shitstorms of posts created when we hit a dent in the road or some player makes a mistake? The agendas on this forum... If I came on here for the first time today, I would have thought I'd entered an oppo forum obsessed with slagging off United. That's how it feels looking at the treatment our players and managers receive.

The last part is not directed at you in particular, Massive Spanner. I have no intention of claiming you are just a tool...

DVG7

At the moment the stakes are so high that we are in a position where 1 mistake 1 slip up becomes a catastrophe for us.
Remember that other teams can slip up and make mistakes too. It's beyond me why this doesn't get factored in to peoples rationale, given how often it happens even just this season.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
For the people forgetting that we’ve had these moments before under Ole before and this victory against City was no different to the previous ones. All successful teams have variety to their play, we beat City and did well, but in the long term the tactic we used to beat City is not sustainable and will be easily nullified.
"These moments" isn't something negative though is it? These are the moments we want, we've seen them before and as long as we continue to see them we are improving are we not? I think variety is important, especially in the PL over a long season, but very often just a simple formula will give teams sustained success. Quality players with good relationships on the pitch, and a good spirit can have any team beat anyone. The tactic we used to win against City is not as much a tactic as it is an attitude. Tactics depend on the opposition and every successful manager has been able to combine that pragmatic approach with a clear style. Any tactic can be countered, and we did it with City, not everyone can. And if we can do it 3-4 times over a season against them, then it seems to be sustainable against those types of teams, yes? I think that is magnificent, and a winning attitude is one of the most important things. That you don't bottle it when you have the chance. Regarding issues like stability and consistency, which we do lack, I think tactics and lack of quality plays a part, but mostly those issues can be due to a lot of factors not just one thing.

There isn't much evidence our tactics used to win against City can't be used against in the future, and that the things we learned from watching the players is irrelevant to the future. To say it will easily be nullified without anything backing up your thoughts seems almost just spiteful. If you meant to say the exact same formula wont necessarily work against other teams that plays in a different way to City then yeah sure, we know and nobody really think football works like that.

RedDevilRoshi

One thing is for certain is that the player are playing for Ole and that is something you couldn’t say about our three previous managers. They have bought into what he is wanting to achieve and they want to be part of that journey with him. That is huge for any manager as without it, they won’t last long.

For the first time in 7 years, I actually feel that we are on the right path but of course there is still a fair bit to go.

Jonno

One off? We're unbeaten in 10, have scored buckets of goals and conceded what, 2 goals, both of which goalkeeper errors? It's been near perfect.

Also, since he started in 2018, only Liverpool and City have won more games.

We've pulled off a fantastic result against a lot of the sides around us, and we're starting to score heavily agains the lesser teams since Fernandes has come in.

We're looking consistent. This one off talk is a myth.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
This happens at every club for every manager. People like you ignore that because you want the next big name in

Strelok

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Your post is probably the most illogical and contradictory one I've seen here.

First sentence you moan about "no consistent style of play".

Then comes the second sentence "everything was ...", if it's "everything" then it must be consistent right?

And in the last sentence you demand more variety :lol::lol::lol:

Jerome Holland

Remember that other teams can slip up and make mistakes too. It's beyond me why this doesn't get factored in to peoples rationale, given how often it happens even just this season.
Yes but that's not how you play football. You worry what's Infront of your door. We can't keep hoping that teams slip up.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Your post is probably the most illogical and contradictory one I've seen here.

First sentence you moan about "no consistent style of play".

Then comes the second sentence "everything was ...", if it's "everything" then it must be consistent right?

And in the last sentence you demand more variety :lol::lol::lol:
Every top team has a consistent style and pattern of play. But it extends to more then one avenue of attack and has variety.