Do you trust Ed Woodward?

Spock

"Trust" in Edwards isn't the right question.

The right question is whether we caftards will or will not be outraged if Woody does not sack Van Gaal the day after the season ends and replaces him with Mourinho. It's as simple as that.

Renegade81

Absolutely not. The guy is clueless. His footballing knowledge is non exsistant and has a complete lack of understanding about the beautiful game, that much is certain. Beside commercial deals, he hasnt improved while in his position just like our performances on the pitch. Coincidence? From the 'buy a Suarez a season' comments before hitting wall after wall with our big transfer targets that summer to now playing it down to 'Our vision promoting youth is second to none' like it was all part of the masterplan, just shows why he should be nowhere near the football side of the club.

The financial muscle shite that he spouts is beyond embarrasing. The fact clubs see us coming a mile away now with regards to our negotiations is indeed a huge warning sign that he needs to go and concentrate on the Investment section only.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
I find his comments and the whole notion that the club and many fans love to push as us being this magical club that "promotes the youth" blah.

The sinple fact is, we havent produced one top quality player through the academy in 20 years.

By all accounts lately, our academy is nothing special or remarkable. If anything, we are behind a few other clubs in terma of investment in the academy.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
I would add, I do like Woody and think he has shown a willingness to *try* to sign the caliber of players we need. I can't understand why anyone would knock him for trying for top players, even if they were already at top clubs.

To be fair, how many top-tier players have transferred clubs in the last three years? Very few.

I have faith that he will back a transfer policy to get us a few top attackers this summer. However, I don't think we can possibly get all the players we need to build a top quality team this summer. It would take unprecedented money. We are still a for-profit business.

Minimalist

I don't think it really matters if I or anyone trusts him. I just trust he knows how to keep United making money - which is still part of the functioning of the football club.

Do I think he cares tremendously about our current predicament like the supporters do? Probably not in my opinion. But provided he understands that United with their resources, should be pushing for titles, then I expect he will get it right eventually.

I do expect him to replace Van Gaal with Mourinho. Personally I think any other choice at this stage is borderline lunacy.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
He seems to be obsessed with how he personally is portrayed by the press. Hence the obsession with briefing and saving face when things appear to have gone wrong.

The English press themselves do portray him as some sort of bumbling idiot, and I think the Galatico chases are to prove that he isn't. However with each failure,it reinforces their view of him as one. They have been brutal with him.

He then tries to save face again. It's a vicious circle.

smallred

if people really care about this club, they will get behind a move to driver this **** out of our club.

the day he took over, is the day our immediate future died. dont blame LVG for this mess, the blame lies at the top.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I think he's made one mistake and that was not sacking LVG during the horror run in December

smallred

I think he's made one mistake and that was not sacking LVG during the horror run in December
one mistake? my word. the man has got almost everything wrong since he came in, in terms of football matters.

the fact we have still got fans who see nothing wrong with him apart from his failure to sack LVG, sums up why our club is heading to the football gutter for the last 3 years under this clown.

Hed Zitin

He didn't sack him when we needed to, so yes I don't trust him. I don't think he has the football instincts required to know when it isn't working.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
one mistake? my word. the man has got almost everything wrong since he came in, in terms of football matters.

the fact we have still got fans who see nothing wrong with him apart from his failure to sack LVG, sums up why our club is heading to the football gutter for the last 3 years under this clown.
Like what?

Natener

It could well be that Mourinho had been approached months back but could not take over till the summer. It's as much an assumption as thinking Woodward didn't sack LVG because of sentimentality or hesitation. So, until we know for certain why LVG was kept on for the season then I see no reason not to trust him for the time being.

Will Absolute

Like what?
Some major mistakes:

• Whatever role he played in the selection of Moyes or the authorization of that selection
  • Moyes should have been sacked in early January
  • LVG was a bad pick
  • LVG should have been sacked in early January
  • He's cut very poor deals for players who've left OT. Cleverley is an obvious case in point, where the player had a year left on his contract, wasn't needed at Old Trafford, all the cards were in the club's hands, and yet he's still allowed to play PL football for the year and go on a free.
  • In general he doesn't have the background needed to oversee the activities of the manager and critically assess his performance. All he can do is sign cheques and express confidence in the manager. That's not the way other top clubs do business. For good reason.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
ah here, if you have to ask this, then i wont bother.

no wonder expectations have dropped when our fans accept mediocrity.
Some major mistakes:

• Whatever role he played in the selection of Moyes or the authorization of that selection
  • Moyes should have been sacked in early January
  • LVG was a bad pick
  • LVG should have been sacked in early January
  • He's cut very poor deals for players who've left OT. Cleverley is an obvious case in point, where the player had a year left on his contract, wasn't needed at Old Trafford, all the cards were in the club's hands, and yet he's still allowed to play PL football for the year and go on a free.
  • In general he doesn't have the background needed to oversee the activities of the manager and critically assess his performance. All he can do is sign cheques and express confidence in the manager. That's not the way other top clubs do business. For good reason.
1. Ferguson and Gill. Woodward didn't make that decision.
2. Be realistic. Moyes was a shit manager who should never have been given the job but it would have been insane to sack him 4 months into a 6 year contract. That's just a ridiculous thing to criticise Woodward for.
3. Who would you have went for at that time? Mourinho was first year at Chelsea, Guardiola at Bayern, Klopp had just signed a new contract at Dortmund...Van Gaal seemed like the best and logical choice.
4. Yes I agree with that one
5. Did we not try to sell Cleverley to Villa but he refused to sign as he wanted to go to Everton who were planning on taking him on a free contract?
6. This is meaningless I think

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
"Trust" in Edwards isn't the right question.

The right question is whether we caftards will or will not be outraged if Woody does not sack Van Gaal the day after the season ends and replaces him with Mourinho. It's as simple as that.
Is it? I'm less than convinced by his dual role at the club by way of controlling transfers and sponsorships etc. I personally think he fannies about with attempted marquee transfers and lets real ones slip. He needs to hire a DoF and accept he isn't knowledgable for matters on the pitch. This is independent of whether he sacks or keeps LVG.

Socceroos

This little Jewish lady is either in class, studyi
No. LVG should have been sacked months ago, and now we are in this state because of Woodward's failure to do so. Woodward is pinching pennies thinking about how much he is saving on sacking compensation by keeping LVG, instead of looking at the long term financial and reputable loss by continuing this failed experiment. For the second time in five years, United have failed to qualify for the Champions League, that is something that was unheard of before Sir Alex left, now instead of fighting for trophies we are fighting for 4th place. This is a great club and Woodward is only worried about saving managerial costs. He knows Mourhino, or someone like him, Pepe for instance would be expensive. Players sell shirts and recoup their costs, but since Woodward does not understand the politics of the game, he does not see the financial gain in sacking and hiring a new manager. Given how the tenure with Moyes ended, Woodward will only sack LVG when it is at the lowest possible cost to him.

NJM78

I trust him as much as Rhodri trusts Ryan.

I will hold complete judgement until after the FA Cup. If van Gaal is not relieved of his duties shortly after then I will lose my shit and want both the feckers gone.

itso 7

No. LVG should have been sacked months ago, and now we are in this state because of Woodward's failure to do so. Woodward is pinching pennies thinking about how much he is saving on sacking compensation by keeping LVG, instead of looking at the long term financial and reputable loss by continuing this failed experiment. For the second time in five years, United have failed to qualify for the Champions League, that is something that was unheard of before Sir Alex left, now instead of fighting for trophies we are fighting for 4th place. This is a great club and Woodward is only worried about saving managerial costs. He knows Mourhino, or someone like him, Pepe for instance would be expensive. Players sell shirts and recoup their costs, but since Woodward does not understand the politics of the game, he does not see the financial gain in sacking and hiring a new manager. Given how the tenure with Moyes ended, Woodward will only sack LVG when it is at the lowest possible cost to him.
I think its a simplistic way of looking at things, Woodward knows that we have lost out on 40 million and that's something he'd have known long before the event. Van Gaal's total compensation wouldn't come close to half that loss so football man or not that's easy math. I think Van Gaal being Woodward's pick played a significant part because pride and loss of face were considered more than they should have been.
It has been clear to anyone who bothered to watch that we have lacked direction on the football side and in three seasons he has proved incapable of providing leadership on that front. Right now almost all the big teams have their managerial issues sorted yet here we are wondering whether the guy who blew a quarter of billion a shit will get fired. Of all the notable teams it us who are need of a huge rebuild but there is no movement on that front whilst clubs like Bayern are signing up kids we spent the best part of the year scouting, Dortmund play football we can only dream of but quickly snapped up Dembele..... If the Glazers do not wish to fire his ass then the least they could do is take him far away from the football.

Spock

Is it? I'm less than convinced by his dual role at the club by way of controlling transfers and sponsorships etc. I personally think he fannies about with attempted marquee transfers and lets real ones slip. He needs to hire a DoF and accept he isn't knowledgable for matters on the pitch. This is independent of whether he sacks or keeps LVG.
I begin with the assumption that Mourinho will succeed Van Gaal. If I'm right about that I can't see United appointing a DoF. Jose won't want one and I can't see why Woody would want to create potential discord with his new manager. United was run well (considering all things) with Ferguson as manager and Jose is a virtual clone of Ferguson in how he approaches transfer business, man-manages his players, his dealing with the media and his tactics. (Referring to last decade of Ferguson, of course.)

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I begin with the assumption that Mourinho will succeed Van Gaal. If I'm right about that I can't see United appointing a DoF. Jose won't want one and I can't see why Woody would want to create potential discord with his new manager. United was run well (considering all things) with Ferguson as manager and Jose is a virtual clone of Ferguson in how he approaches transfer business, man-manages his players, his dealing with the media and his tactics. (Referring to last decade of Ferguson, of course.)
Very true, but would that not go against the Berta affiliation suggested by Di Marzio?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Yeh hes done nothing so far to suggest that he cant be trusted, however, my opinion will change if LVG is here next year.

Winrar

I think its a simplistic way of looking at things, Woodward knows that we have lost out on 40 million and that's something he'd have known long before the event. Van Gaal's total compensation wouldn't come close to half that loss so football man or not that's easy math. I think Van Gaal being Woodward's pick played a significant part because pride and loss of face were considered more than they should have been.
which is quite ironic because the decision not to sack him when things were clearly not improving in december has arguably hurt woodward's reputation more than if he had just owned up to the mistake and sacked him earlier.

Enigma_87

You know who
1. Ferguson and Gill. Woodward didn't make that decision.
2. Be realistic. Moyes was a shit manager who should never have been given the job but it would have been insane to sack him 4 months into a 6 year contract. That's just a ridiculous thing to criticise Woodward for.
3. Who would you have went for at that time? Mourinho was first year at Chelsea, Guardiola at Bayern, Klopp had just signed a new contract at Dortmund...Van Gaal seemed like the best and logical choice.
4. Yes I agree with that one
5. Did we not try to sell Cleverley to Villa but he refused to sign as he wanted to go to Everton who were planning on taking him on a free contract?
6. This is meaningless I think
1 and 2 - picking Moyes was one thing, but whoever gave him that 6 years contract deserved to be shot.
3. We had(IMO) better options than LvG at the time, but names are pure speculation whether or not we'd land them.

on transfer dealings he has been crap- buying players, negotiating, selling players, etc.

As a financial director I think he's a good choice, however on footballing matters he's possibly as clueless as the Glazers.

itso 7

which is quite ironic because the decision not to sack him when things were clearly not improving in december has arguably hurt woodward's reputation more than if he had just owned up to the mistake and sacked him earlier.
Right on but his reputation has taken worse hits than these but I doubt if the football world's opinion on Woodward matters to the Glazers one jot.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
1 and 2 - picking Moyes was one thing, but whoever gave him that 6 years contract deserved to be shot.
3. We had(IMO) better options than LvG at the time, but names are pure speculation whether or not we'd land them.

on transfer dealings he has been crap- buying players, negotiating, selling players, etc.

As a financial director I think he's a good choice, however on footballing matters he's possibly as clueless as the Glazers.
The 6 year contract was insane but it wouldn't have been Woodward. Moyes stuff was done under Gills time.

Who else could we have gotten if not LVG back in 2014? I can't really think of anyone

Mourinho - Chelsea (year 1)
Guardiola - Bayern (year 1)
Ancelloti - Real Madrid (year 1)
Klopp - Dortmund (wasnt going to break contract)
Simeone - Atletico (unlikely to leave and can't speak English)

After that I'm not sure who else could be the better option. I don't think I agree with the idea that Woodward isn't a football man so doesn't have a clue in these things. I mean it was the football men who picked Moyes and seem to push for Giggs over Mourinho now. Mourinho and Van Gaal seem like logical picks instead of whatever leads to Moyes/Giggs.

Although Van Gaal did make it seem like he was picked to come and lay foundations for Giggs and kept saying he was the next manager and stuff. If Woodward had a part to play in that plan then yes I would say he is very questionable and a replacement might be a good idea

Winrar

Right on but his reputation has taken worse hits than these but I doubt if the football world's opinion on Woodward matters to the Glazers one jot.
if glazers don't care about woodward's reputation, and woodward has suffered worse before, then why does woodward still care? now the club has lost more money AND his reputation has taken a hit. it doesn't make sense that a businessman would care so much about his reputation that he would neglect to make a more sound financial decision for the longer term. something just doesn't add up, though admittedly we don't have all the pieces of the puzzle to make sense of this nonsense. but that's the frustrating part.

itso 7

if glazers don't care about woodward's reputation, and woodward has suffered worse before, then why does woodward still care? now the club has lost more money AND his reputation has taken a hit. it doesn't make sense that a businessman would care so much about his reputation that he would neglect to make a more sound financial decision for the longer term. something just doesn't add up, though admittedly only with the pieces of the puzzle we have so far.
Without all the relevant information its impossible to come up with an accurate assessment of the situation. I just think that Woodward's relationship with the Glazers is too solid for him to be mortally damaged by his strange refusal to sack LVG, the fact that he is the one they communicate with and through says it all.

Enigma_87

You know who
The 6 year contract was insane but it wouldn't have been Woodward. Moyes stuff was done under Gills time.

Who else could we have gotten if not LVG back in 2014? I can't really think of anyone

Mourinho - Chelsea (year 1)
Guardiola - Bayern (year 1)
Ancelloti - Real Madrid (year 1)
Klopp - Dortmund (wasnt going to break contract)
Simeone - Atletico (unlikely to leave and can't speak English)
It's speculation most of it as I'm not sure if the ones I'll mention would be available or interested but anyhow:

Emeri, Conte, Blanc, Hiddink, Capello, Bielsa, Trap, Hitzfeld, Lippi

LvG was a good choice at the time as the ones you mentioned weren't available. Either way he was a stop gap.

Spock

Very true, but would that not go against the Berta affiliation suggested by Di Marzio?
The affiliation seems somewhat speculative. But maybe Jose really does want a sporting director and if he does my answer is to give the man what he wants. We need a change in management and it begins and ends as far as I'm concerned with sacking Van Gaal and going with a man who has conquered England and Europe before. If Jose wants a man he can personally trust as his sporting director to handle certain duties, fine with me. But we have to end this charade with Van Gaal.

Red17

He's been living off his reputation as master dealmaker in the commercial arena for us. In the footballing arena, in the field of entertainment, the business United is in, the bad far far outweighs the good. Nothing good really comes to mind. There has been far too little to be happy or proud about in the last 3 years. Overall, the reputation and name of the club has been badly damaged in 3 short years. And it's all happened on his watch. He has to own up to it. Been far far too many disappointing news and results on the pitch and off it. Too many negatives in the media - repeated major transfer failures every window (and it's just going to get harder due to our on-pitch failures), the bomb fiasco, tardiness to get to the away grounds. You have to say, so far he's falling far short of the standards Gill had set.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I don't think he has been terrible.

Fellaini's buy out clause. - We gambled because we wanted both him and Baines, but it backfired and we paid for it. Too much late night poker.

Persuit of Ronaldo/Bale/Neymar - Nice that we went for them, but ultimately hasnt helped very much.

Signings of Di Maria/Falcao/Schweinsteiger - Good signings, but haven't quite turned out how you might hope.

Signing of Shaw - Paid to much but a classic Fergie signing.

Signings of Depay/Martial - Now we are talking. Classic Fergie signing

Adebesi

The way I see it we have 5 days now until we see Woodward start to put into place the plan he has presumably be working on, very secretively but equally diligently, for the last few months. His strategy to get us back to the top. This will commence, hopefully, on Monday morning, (preferably at 10.15, because that's what I guessed in the sweepstake), when it is announced that Van Gaal has brought his retirement forward by a year, having delivered the FA Title as promised.

I was just reading a conversation I had with @devilish a few months ago about Juve's triade. And while I do not envisage us going that route exactly, it certainly looks like we have something a little more fundamental than merely appointing a new manager in mind. SO I hope within a short period of time (seconds, ideally) of Van Gaal being thanked, Mourinho will be named as the incoming manager, with Berta being named director of football or equivalent at the same time.

I think this will be a really healthy development for us in our current state, and should do a lot to restore trust in Woodward. It would be acknowledgement of his own shortcomings in terms of identifying and securing talent, and the lack of any coherent longer term strategy on the football side. There is nothing wrong with having difficulty with something if you identify the problem and find a way to fix it. Getting someone who obviously knows his onions like Berta in does exactly that. It says, I know I have played a part in getting us here, but here is someone who can do that part of the job better than me, I am going to focus on making the club more money. That is exactly as it should be.

I really hope we announce a new structure and the new management team quickly so we can get our business done quickly. I think if that happens Woodward will deserve a lot of credit, and we have every reason to feel confident about the future.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
The OT security don't so why should we? :)

Enigma_87

You know who
Why would Berta move? I don't think he'll change Atletico given the state of both teams. His job there is pretty secure and I'm sure he'd prefer Spain to England.