Dobson and Norris found guilty of Stephen Lawrence murder

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Stephen Lawrence murder: Dobson and Norris found guilty

Two men have been convicted of the racist murder of black teenager Stephen Lawrence, 18 years after he was stabbed to death at a south London bus stop.

Gary Dobson and David Norris were found guilty by an Old Bailey jury after a trial based on forensic evidence.

Scientists found a tiny blood stain on Dobson's jacket that could only have come from Mr Lawrence.

As he was led away, Dobson told the jury they had condemned an "innocent man". Sentencing will be on Wednesday.

Stephen's parents, Doreen and Neville, wept in court as the jury found both men guilty. Duwayne Brooks, Stephen's best friend who had been with him on the night of the murder, tweeted: "Some justice at last".

Gary Dobson's mother, who told the trial her son had been at home during the attack, wept in the public gallery of Court 16.
'Prime suspects'

The original failed investigation led to the Metropolitan Police being branded as institutionally racist.
Gary Dobson and David Norris: Denied murder Gary Dobson and David Norris: Denied murder

Stephen Lawrence was 18 when he was stabbed to death near a bus stop in Eltham, south London, in April 1993.

Police identified five men who were later named in a damning public inquiry as the "prime suspects".

By that time, there had already been a catalogue of police errors and two failed prosecutions, one brought by Stephen's parents, Doreen and Neville Lawrence.

But in a four-year-long cold case review, a fresh team of forensic scientists uncovered microscopic evidence linking the men to the murder - evidence that the police had held all along.

The material - bloodstains, clothing fibres and a single hair belonging to the teenager - were recovered from the clothes of the suspects which had been seized in 1993.

Scientists recovered the material using advanced techniques which were not available to the original case scientists.

Dobson, 36, and Norris, 35, denied the murder. They said their clothing had been contaminated as police mixed up evidence down the years. Detectives spent months establishing the movements and handling of the exhibits since 1993 - and the jury were told that contamination was implausible.

Gary Dobson was jailed in 2010 for drugs trafficking. He is among a small number of men to have been tried twice for the same crime after the Court of Appeal quashed his 1996 acquittal for the murder.
'Unique case'

In an exclusive interview with the BBC's Panorama, Stephen Lawrence's mother Doreen said: "I don't forgive the boys who killed Stephen. They don't think they have done anything wrong.
Continue reading the main story
"They took away Stephen's life and there is nothing in their behaviour or anything to show they they regret what their actions have done and the pain it has caused us as a family."

Acting Assistant Commissioner Cressida Dick, who ordered the 2006 cold case review that led to the convictions, said the case had been extremely important for the Lawrence family, the Metropolitan Police and society at large.

She said: "It's a matter of huge regret to the Met that it has taken 18 years to get to this point.

"It has been a unique case in policing. Firstly the horrible, horrible nature of the attack on the night. The time in which it has taken to bring anybody to justice and the tireless campaigning of the Lawrences.

"There is no comparable case. All homicide cases are terrible, but for us it is a very important case. Most importantly we wanted to be able to bring people to justice for the killing and try to give Doreen and Neville Lawrence and their family some sense of justice."

BBC News - Stephen Lawrence murder: Dobson and Norris found guilty

Wow, only took 18 years

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Long time coming, delighted for the Lawrence family, hopefully they can now try move on with their lives in as much as is possible.

Jippy

Staff
It's created outrage on the Millwall forum

Hope they open all the unsolved cases of whites being murdered by blacks now! Won't hold my breath though.
Looking at the arsehole end of a 25 each , hope fecking saint Doreens happy , cnuts
there was also a lot of dodgy evidence which wouldve been thrown out if it was the other way round, the whole fecking country knows that.
Guilty

There might be some wrong 'uns on here, but that place takes it to a whole level of its own.

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
There is no time limit on such crimes, it is encouraging that the police will get you in the end though it is but a part of the story, the question is will it just be these two or more.

It is in cases like these that the Daily Mail does a good job, calling the killers bluff on slandering them. I bet when they said they would sue anybody that said they killed Stephen Lawrence I assume this is not what they had in mind.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Finally. It's great to finally see justice for his family, after all of these years.

Jippy

Staff
There is no time limit on such crimes, it is encouraging that the police will get you in the end though it is but a part of the story, the question is will it just be these two or more.

It is in cases like these that the Daily Mail does a good job, calling the killers bluff on slandering them. I bet when they said they would sue anybody that said they killed Stephen Lawrence I assume this is not what they had in mind.

Do we only have statute of limitations on minor crimes?

Didn't the DM completely feck up the case at the time by making it hard for them to get a fair trial? My memory is hazy.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
Statutes of Limitation vary on a crime by crime basis, I don't think there is one on murder at all.

Jippy

Staff
Statutes of Limitation vary on a crime by crime basis, I don't think there is one on murder at all.
Makes sense- you hear about rapists getting done for crimes in the 70s based on the improvements in forensics, I guess.

You have them on misselling claims and things like that in financial services.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
I think the distinction comes on whether a crime is especially violent or not, or treasonous.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
it is in cases like these that the Daily Mail does a good job, calling the killers bluff on slandering them. I bet when they said they would sue anybody that said they killed Stephen Lawrence I assume this is not what they had in mind.

Things like this are only viable if the paper agrees/is forced to print retractions or lost law suits on their front page in the same manner...which they never are. So in short, no. Just because it was an exceptional case shouldn't disguise that it's essentially a tabloid acting as judge and jury.

The Daily Mail never does a good job in anything....apart form pictures of small dogs, and extensive coverage of things it finds outrageous

Neo_Mufc

Remember this case as a kid. 18 years? WTF.

The murder happened on the night England played cameroon? or was it just a video showing them being racist I cant remember.

Drifter

American
Really great news to start the year.But i can't help but think that they could have been convicted years ago.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Two scum down. Hopefully they'll bring others to account who were at the scene.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
If one of them didnt actually kill the lad himself but give up whoever did. Would he qualify for a reduced sentence?
I'd add another few years if I was judge for not shopping in a murderer.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
If one of them didnt actually kill the lad himself but give up whoever did. Would he qualify for a reduced sentence?
Having been found guilty and being shown to have been lying for 18 years to Police, the courts (under oath) and anyone else who would listen, who the feck would believe anything they said now?

BaldwinLegend

Having been found guilty and being shown to have been lying for 18 years to Police, the courts (under oath) and anyone else who would listen, who the feck would believe anything they said now?
I think one of the Lawrence family's last hopes is that one of the two convicted today will testify that the other 3-4 suspects were there...

Panorama made really upsetting viewing for me tonight. I was living abroad when a lot of the trials and investigations went on - I'd never seen that footage of the 5 suspects leaving the court in that aggressive way, or the surveillance footage.

I was also struck by something on the 10 o'clock news - when their reporter tried to confront one of the Acourt brothers (one of the suspects not involved in this court case) he shielded his face while getting into a very new looking, flashy Mercedes. Amazing that he's managing to live a profitable existance somehow despite being so well known to the greater public for this...

BaldwinLegend

You mean the Acourts? I don't know about them but Norris' father is a career criminal.
That's right.

Also thought it was shocking that both Dobson and Norris' mothers testified in court to say their sons were home that night...

They'll be sentenced as if they were juveniles and it's 1993, so they may be out in less than 15 years.

BaldwinLegend

Some info on what the prime suspects have done the last 18 years here: Gary Dobson and David Norris never escaped shadow of suspicion | UK news | guardian.co.uk

The Acourts have been involved with lots of petty crimes and an illegal immigration racket. I guess what surprised me is how they'd get away with anything at all being so well known to the police, and also the fact that the police must have been desperate to arrest them for anything all this time.

An Irish Red

The suspects gave an interview in 1999 attempting to put forward their side of the thing.

Watched it last night expecting that, as it was years later, they would have come up with a story that required even a little effort to see through. Instead they manage to come up with three different versions as to where they were on the night and are exactly as you would expect them to be; lacking in any sort of intelligence and nothing more than wannabe gangsters.

psychdelicblues

Long time coming, delighted for the Lawrence family, hopefully they can now try move on with their lives in as much as is possible.
Judging by the shocking stuff that has come out in the Ellison review, I very much doubt that.

Police spies snooped on Lawrence marriage: Shocking intrusion on Stephen's grieving parents by undercover officer
  • Undercover officer snooped on Neville and Doreen Lawrence's marriage
  • Reported to Scotland Yard the grieving couple 'had, in reality, separated'
  • Intrusion into privacy exposed in Ellison review of Stephen Lawrence case
  • Mr Lawrence said today revelations were disgusting and 'unbelievable'
  • Met Commissioner said Ellison review marked 'the worst day of my career'
  • Counter-terrorism commander Richard Walton has been removed from role
  • David Cameron said Lawrence family had 'suffered far too much' today

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Who watches the documentary?
That Bill Mellish cnut is a piece of work.
I'm normally a reserved guy but I wish I could get my hands on him.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Theresa May’s appearance in the Stephen Lawrence documentary aged horribly quicker than anyone could imagine.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Theresa May’s appearance in the Stephen Lawrence documentary aged horribly quicker than anyone could imagine.
Did she turn up randomly trying to deport them?