Film Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

Adamsk7

Just seen it. Overall I really liked it. In places, it’s full on Sam Raimi, which I was surprised about. I do think it feels like it wants to be something more than it actually is though and you can physically see studio pressure to make it fit the Marvel formula in some of the scenes.
the effects were sometimes glorious, sometimes ropey and the villain was very good, although for some reason the emotional weight was just quite “meh” considering what was happening and the investment I actually do have in these characters. I expected to care more than I did.

Gonna give it a second watch in 3D as Feige said it’s the first Marvel film in a long while that translates very well to that format

out of 10? Probably a solid 7

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Watched it earlier, great special effects and decent watch overall.
Stayed for the last (second) post credit scene its gives such a apt message (trying not to spoil it)

dinostar77

Just got out of the cinema. That was really entertaining. I'd watch it sooner rather than later as some bits of the movie are going to blow up all over the internet.

Marvels first 'horror' movie was done quite well.

No spoilers just that make sure you have seen wandavision before you go watch the movie.

A solid 8.5 from me.

Last edited:

MUW4Eva

Watched it in 3D earlier in today, I really liked and enjoyed it, although, I do feel all of these movies are kind of meshing into one another now, in terms of the destruction of buildings etc.

A solid 8/10, I would say.

flameinthesun

I'd give it a 7, it was enjoyable.

One criticism I have to give the MCU is:

They have teased the multiverse in Loki, Spiderman, Dr Strange, but at this moment it doesn't really feel that impactful to the overall mcu story, they don't feel that glued together if that made sense. They introduced Kang and the tva but they don't seem to have an impact, he's supposed to be the big bad for ant man 3 and was talked about as the next thanos level villain yet apart from Loki these last 2 multiverse based stories have had nothing to do with him. What made the thanos arc more enjoyable was that everything built up to him more or less, at this moment I have no idea what or who they are building up so the movies after infinty war have felt more like filler movies than main storyline movies if that makes sense

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
6/10 for me. Some stuff done really well, and they leaned into horror more than I thought they would.

Some of the dialogue is terrible for me though.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
I saw it today and I left a bit underwhelmed to be honest.

Not a bad movie but I liked the majority of Marvel movies and the first Dr. Strange movie (way) more.

The beginning felt way too "that escalated quickly" to me and it didn't get better in my opinion.
Overall the movie wasn't as funny as others, not as thrilling and epic as others and for a movie spanning the whole multiverse the stakes weren't really that high, were they?

The horror and "gore" didn't really bother me but also felt quite unnecessary.

I'd probably rate it 6/10. For me the worst Marvel movie in recent years besides the Eternals (I haven't seen Morbius yet).

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
I'd give it a 7, it was enjoyable.

One criticism I have to give the MCU is:

They have teased the multiverse in Loki, Spiderman, Dr Strange, but at this moment it doesn't really feel that impactful to the overall mcu story, they don't feel that glued together if that made sense. They introduced Kang and the tva but they don't seem to have an impact, he's supposed to be the big bad for ant man 3 and was talked about as the next thanos level villain yet apart from Loki these last 2 multiverse based stories have had nothing to do with him. What made the thanos arc more enjoyable was that everything built up to him more or less, at this moment I have no idea what or who they are building up so the movies after infinty war have felt more like filler movies than main storyline movies if that makes sense
I agree. I was sure we would see him in this movie, at least in a after credits scene.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
It's an absolute mess, which sucks because I actually think Doctor Strange was one of the more interesting Marvel characters and I liked the first film. There's magic books and witchcraft but also multiverse travel, kind of, and it all just becomes a big load of bollocks while the bad guy can fly and shoot fireballs but also manipulate reality and control minds and is incredibly over powered except when she had a bit of trouble with a door. They have infinte universes to play with and after a short clip where you see what could have been fun and interesting versions they just settle on one which is very similar to the normal one. Should have spent 5 minutes as paint, would have been a better movie. This whole multiverse thing just seems there to serve as a gimmick to bring even more super heroes in a movie because why put effort into making a decent film when shoehorning loads of super heroes or different versions of the same one is enough. And whatever happens to them is worthless because they can bring in another version to replace them down the line, nulling any kind shock. Kid sucked, couldn't control her powers, got a quick pep talk near the end to then save the day and that's it arc over. Scarlett Witch is pretty boring but that's the trend with Marvel bad guys, Elizabeth Olsen isn't a very good actor. The whole zombie/T-1000 bit would have been good if again it wasn't someone who is super powerful and five seconds ago was exploding people left right and centre. Instead it was jarring and weird.

Bruce Campbell gets a thumbs up. And to be fair visually you do get some cools stuff but even though it's a lot shorter than recent films it still dragged.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
It's an absolute mess, which sucks because I actually think Doctor Strange was one of the more interesting Marvel characters and I liked the first film. There's magic books and witchcraft but also multiverse travel, kind of, and it all just becomes a big load of bollocks while the bad guy can fly and shoot fireballs but also manipulate reality and control minds and is incredibly over powered except when she had a bit of trouble with a door. They have infinte universes to play with and after a short clip where you see what could have been fun and interesting versions they just settle on one which is very similar to the normal one. Should have spent 5 minutes as paint, would have been a better movie. This whole multiverse thing just seems there to serve as a gimmick to bring even more super heroes in a movie because why put effort into making a decent film when shoehorning loads of super heroes or different versions of the same one is enough. And whatever happens to them is worthless because they can bring in another version to replace them down the line, nulling any kind shock. Kid sucked, couldn't control her powers, got a quick pep talk near the end to then save the day and that's it arc over. Scarlett Witch is pretty boring but that's the trend with Marvel bad guys, Elizabeth Olsen isn't a very good actor. The whole zombie/T-1000 bit would have been good if again it wasn't someone who is super powerful and five seconds ago was exploding people left right and centre. Instead it was jarring and weird.

Bruce Campbell gets a thumbs up. And to be fair visually you do get some cools stuff but even though it's a lot shorter than recent films it still dragged.
Sounds harsh but I can't really disagree.

That whole "oh yeah we can't mess with [villain] because of that bad book...unless we get that other super good book which unfortunately we didn't think of in the first movie or when we fought Thanos" was really stupid.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I feel like I am living in a multiverse where this utter tripe keeps repeating.

MUW4Eva

One issue for me is this, there is just too much Marvel now.
You have soooooo many spin off shows now, in the early years of Marvel, it was great to watch the films, as they had a structure to them, but now you have to seemingly watch a lot of shows on Disney plus before watching a movie.

Things are just getting soooo overly convoluted.

I miss the simpler times, when it was just the novies, and a simple to understand cast.

I know that Marvel and Disney are all about making as much money as possible, but if everything had been wrapped up and it all ended after Thanos will killed, or went out to be a farmer or whatever, and there were no more movies and TV shows, I would have been fine with that.

Everything post that, just seems to be flogging a dead horse so to speak.

muller

Went last night, really enjoyed it. A few bits that were a bit meh - the fact all she needed to fully understand her powers was a pep talk, the music fight scene..

But overall still really enjoyed it. 8/10.

Woodzy

Obviously wouldn’t have happened with such a big character in the MCU but I feel this film would have benefited more from being a series.

It was all over the place but thankfully it’s probably the one film that can get away with it without it being too much of an issue.

Big Andy

Bloke
I agree. I was sure we would see him in this movie, at least in a after credits scene.
I was hoping for a Deadpool appearance at the end but instead I sat there through about a billion names, just for the shittest end credit scene ever

cyberman

Is this a film that everybody pretends is good only for it to fall away a few months from now?

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
does the 3D add anything to the movie...or just an afterthought?

Bwuk

Yeah I agree with most of the comments.

Marvel peaked with Endgame. It won’t reach that again.

MUW4Eva

Yeah, it just seems sooo overly convoluted these days with random characters just being added almost for the sake of things now.
With this girl now just the latest one.

I do miss when it as just the main cast.

Even adding the Guardians of the Galaxy was pushing things, but now it really has jumped the proverbial shark for me.

Throw in the TV shows as well, and it is all just too much.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

*Infinity War

But I dunno, I agree and disagree at the same time. Logically, it can't peak like IW/Endgame because they're the culmination of 20 odd films over 10 years. A massive story. It seems to me, they're gonna do much shorter arcs now than before, so how could you possibly have as big films as IW and Endgame?

But that said, what people forget is that this is the marvel cinematic universe, not the Avengers cinematic universe. With them getting back so many properties, there's so many huge stories they could tell, without having to have the massive crossover were used to.

MUW4Eva

*Infinity War

But I dunno, I agree and disagree at the same time. Logically, it can't peak like IW/Endgame because they're the culmination of 20 odd films over 10 years. A massive story. It seems to me, they're gonna do much shorter arcs now than before, so how could you possibly have as big films as IW and Endgame?

But that said, what people forget is that this is the marvel cinematic universe, not the Avengers cinematic universe. With them getting back so many properties, there's so many huge stories they could tell, without having to have the massive crossover were used to.
All of that is very true, the issue for me at least, is the vast amount of TV shows that you seemingly have to watch in order to watch the movies now.

For example, you really had to watch all of the Wandavision episodes to make full sense of this movie, I get why, but really that is a bit of a faff.

It should be a case, that you should be able to just rock up to a cinema and watch the movie, and have that movie make full sense on its own, the bigger Marvel gets, seemingly the less likely that is becoming the case.

Balljy

*Infinity War

Out of interest, why do you think this arc won't be 10 years? It looks to me like they're only bringing in major characters for this arc now and there's no signs of a build-up yet. If the future film schedule is to be believed we're around 5 years away from the next full-on avengers style films to end the arc.

I think their problem might be that they're holding on to older characters too much, rather than building for the next, but they obviously need to do a bit of both.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Elizabeth Olsen absolutely nailed it, what a performance.

Really liked this.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Elizabeth Olsen absolutely nailed it, what a performance.

Really liked this.
Where was this Scarlet Witch during the previous Avengers?? She was able to dismantle everyone with ease in this film yet only partly featured in the Avengers story. I hate it when they nerf the characters just for the sake of a story, just like they dumbed down the Hulk.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Also in the trailer when Strange says, "Things just got out of hand.", that wasn't in the movie...unless I missed it.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
I didn't hate it, and some bits were quite fun. But a lot of it was just the same old MCU nonsense. You'd think they'd be tired of it by now too.

The music fight was one they should've left in the concept notes.

bucky

All of that is very true, the issue for me at least, is the vast amount of TV shows that you seemingly have to watch in order to watch the movies now.

For example, you really had to watch all of the Wandavision episodes to make full sense of this movie, I get why, but really that is a bit of a faff.

It should be a case, that you should be able to just rock up to a cinema and watch the movie, and have that movie make full sense on its own, the bigger Marvel gets, seemingly the less likely that is becoming the case.
You didn't. This movie pretty much contradicts what happened with Wanda during the series and only the post credits scene gives an indication of what is going to happen next.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Where was this Scarlet Witch during the previous Avengers?? She was able to dismantle everyone with ease in this film yet only partly featured in the Avengers story. I hate it when they nerf the characters just for the sake of a story, just like they dumbed down the Hulk.
She didn't really become Scarlet Witch until the last episode of Wandavision

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Watched a CAM of this because I don’t give a shit about Marvel films anymore, and whIle the story was all over the shop, I did quite enjoy just how much of a Sam Raimi film it was… they really gave him £200m and said “what kind of film would you like to make, Sam?” and he just went “Yes.”

You certainly can’t say they compromised his vision. It even gets more and more Raimi as it goes along and goes pretty much full Army of Darkness at the end.

Also delighted a bunch of nerds are angry he introduced a bunch of ‘cool’ cameos just to murder them gruesomely. Well in.

I can barely remember what the story was, but I might check it again when it comes on streaming cos It has infinitely more rewatch value than all but a few of them, just ‘cos of the filmmaking. (Unsurprisingly Gunn & Waiti’s offerings being the others)

Also, eyes.

Last edited:

dinostar77

She became scarlett witch at end of wandavision and that book she got also vastly helped her juice up her powers.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
The treatment of the Hulk is probably the biggest sin of the Marvel movies - still puzzles me now. Say "Green" ffs.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The treatment of the Hulk is probably the biggest sin of the Marvel movies - still puzzles me now. Say "Green" ffs.
Yeah and inexplicable turning Thor into a drunken, overweight jester with low self confidence. What were they thinking?

RedDevilRoshi

Seen it on Thursday night.

Thought it was not bad. Definitely not the best MCU movie I’ve seen but certainly not the worst.

fallengt

I've seen it. Script was the weakest part but I liked everything else inlcuding
Illuminati's ironic horror
It's certainly a Raimi's film, maybe that's why major audiences are not overly fond of this one much? I don't know

FYI I like Dr Strange in the multiverse of madness more than Spider man: No way home.