Documentary Suggestion

prath92

Could any of you suggest a few documentaries for me? I would prefer the following subjects

History - I really love history especially the recent history (50s 60s 70s 80s) and all. I watched a show called International Terrorism since 1945 which dealt with a few Radical groups of the 20th century like the IRA, OAS and all. It was at times a bit biased but was an enjoyable series. Similarly any other documentaries/series?

Investigative - documentaries like Thin Blue Line, which essentially started off the whole investigative documentaries with fictional dramatization to tell the story.

Any other good ones beside this can also be suggested. I love documentaries. Thanks in advance

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Robert Durst: The Jinx from HBO is a good shout I'd reckon.
Filmmaker Andrew Jarecki examines the complicated life of reclusive real estate icon, Robert Durst, the key suspect in a series of unsolved crimes.
Cocaine Cowboys is also an awesome documentary, not really investigative but it describes Miami in the 80s during the heydays of the drug trade.

Wittmann45

Two specific documentaries that fit your preferences are:

Bobby Fisher vs. The World
The Fog of War

Plus anything by Werner Herzog, even though they don't really fit your criteria. I guess Lessons of Darkness would be of most interest for you, but Grizzly Man, Encounters at the End of the World, Cave of Forgotten Dreams and Into the Abyss (about a prisoner on death row, though there is little investigatory aspect) are all great docs.

Man on Wire is fantastic, Murderball too, Taxi to the Dark Side (about torture during the War in Iraq), When We Were Kings (about the Ali-George Forman fight), Red Army (about the Soviet hockey team in the 1980 Olympics that lost to the Americans), In the Shadow of the Moon (about the space program), Shoah (I have only seen sections, but everything I saw was either extremely compelling or heartbreaking), The King of Kong, The Best Worst Movie...

Last edited:

Tarrou

I'm really into investigative docs too. The Central Park Five is an interesting one, similar to Thin Blue Line.

The other night I watched Herzog's 'Wing's of Hope' which is an incredible story of a women who survived a plane crash and trek through the jungle. It's only one hour and on youtube.

If you haven't seen any Adam Curtis docs, there are some amazing ones there. Century of the Self and the Power of Nightmares are some of my all time faves.

Also this http://www.theguardian.com/film/201...es-alex-gibney-joshua-oppenheimer-james-marsh

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
I'm really into investigative docs too. The Central Park Five is an interesting one, similar to Thin Blue Line.

The other night I watched Herzog's 'Wing's of Hope' which is an incredible story of a women who survived a plane crash and trek through the jungle. It's only one hour and on youtube.

If you haven't seen any Adam Curtis docs, there are some amazing ones there. Century of the Self and the Power of Nightmares are some of my all time faves.

Also this http://www.theguardian.com/film/201...es-alex-gibney-joshua-oppenheimer-james-marsh
Central Park five was great, very disturbing behaviour by the nypd.

Haven't heard of the Adam Curtis ones, are they on netflix/YouTube do you know?

Tarrou

Central Park five was great, very disturbing behaviour by the nypd.

Haven't heard of the Adam Curtis ones, are they on netflix/YouTube do you know?
Yeah it's all on youtube. They are both three parters he made for the BBC.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I've just DVR'd that mad Aussie bloke's docu on Iraq....Michael Ware.

It looks excellent.

Also, there is an existing thread for this subject.

In The Shadow Of The Moon. Best docu film ive seen. Its the story of the moon landings but the cast is made up entirely of the astronauts who actually went.

Hal9000

Act of Killing
Dirty Wars
Last days of Vietnam
Murder on a Sunday Morning
Bowling for Columbine
Into The Abyss
Dark Days
Protagonist
Retrepo
The is the Zodiac Speaking
Kill the messenger (2006)
Collapse

Also if you want something more lighthearted.

Ping Pong.

prath92

shit i made this thread and thought nobody responded for some reason. mainly because we started our horrible run around that time and i stopped visiting the caf a lot :p

Anyway ill watch the docs suggested. Seems interesting. Thanks a lot guys and sorry for not acknowledging earlier

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
If you like history documentaries then Shoah is a must-watch.

Despite Lanzmann's obvious failings it's a genuine masterpiece. It's over 9 hours long and trying on so many levels but it really is peerless in the genre.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Just started watching "Barbarians Rising" which is a four part dramatized documentary about the various barbarians fighting the Roman empire. It is absolutely bloody marvelous. Some of the best stuff I've seen.

"Docudrama by History Channel. Tales of Barbarians that confronted Rome through the ages."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5807292/?ref_=nv_sr_1

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
The Battered Bastards of Baseball is a good one. Great story it's on netflix

izzydiggler

Nothing like what was originally asked but the Jason Becker documentary, Not Dead Yet is really good and almost unheard of.

Jason was a guitar prodigy, who was recruited as David Lee Roth's new guitarist, before being diagnosed with ALS, thus was unable to undertake the tour and lost the ability to play guitar. But despite the odds, he is still creating music (and has a Kickstarter at the minute) and retains a sharp sense of humour.

Really worth watching.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I've just watched the BBC's documentary on the new cover that's been slid over the Chernobyl reactor. Worth watching if you're a fan of big engineering, or just of humans trying to do something really hard.

It's called "Inside Chernobyl's Megatomb".